PDA

View Full Version : Ping Phil Again (or other knowledgeable persons)

CatNipped[_2_]
July 2nd 07, 03:39 PM
We're still keeping the three new rescues separated from our resident
three - and will be for a while yet.

I got to thinking, though. We have not had our residing three vaccinated in
the last 3 years since they are strictly indoor cats and have absolutely no
contact with other cats and we thought the risks from the injections more a
threat.. However, the three newcomers all have URIs (that are under control
now after a week of Clavamox.

Do you think we should have our resident three vaccinated before allowing
them contact with the three newbies?

Thanks,

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters here: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

July 3rd 07, 10:20 AM
On Jul 2, 7:39 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> We're still keeping the three new rescues separated from our resident
> three - and will be for a while yet.
>
> I got to thinking, though. We have not had our residing three vaccinated in
> the last 3 years since they are strictly indoor cats and have absolutely no
> contact with other cats and we thought the risks from the injections more a
> threat.. However, the three newcomers all have URIs (that are under control
> now after a week of Clavamox.
>
> Do you think we should have our resident three vaccinated before allowing
> them contact with the three newbies?

Definitely!

Earlier this year, one our cats got a bad cold. Sneezing and snotty
nose. She was behind on vaccinations at the time. She went to the vet,
got meds, and improved. A few days later, Jay Jay got it, only he got
it worse. Fever, dehydrated, no appetite. He looked like he had a
hangover. He had his first vaciinations the previous year, and he was
a couple months overdue for the next vaccination. He went to the vet,
got more meds (fluids, shot to start antibiotics, and higher dosage
pills since he is larger). As he was getting over it, Chase started
sneezing. For one day only. He got over it. He was also current on his
vaccinations.

Last month, Christi got it again. She had not been vaccinated yet
since she was sick at the time of the previous vet visit. This time,
she was the only one to get it.

If they are going to be hanging out together, they share their germs.
URIs are very common in catteries simply because one cat can set it
off. If they are already vaccinated, they will be able to fight it off
and deal with it.

Also, since meeting new housemates is stressful, that makes it easier
for stuff like this to get going.

Personally, I won't be letting the vaccinations lapse again. Jay Jay
was miserable for several days because of this, and he still had to
get a checkup and vacinnation after he was better. Had I done it
earlier, I would have saved him the misery, saved me the worry, saved
a trip to the vet, and saved $100 too.

I am so glad that Chase got updated when he was there to have his
toenails checked (he ripped two out, so we wanted to make sure they
didn't get infected).

CatNipped[_2_]
July 3rd 07, 01:40 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 2, 7:39 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> We're still keeping the three new rescues separated from our resident
>> three - and will be for a while yet.
>>
>> I got to thinking, though. We have not had our residing three vaccinated
>> in
>> the last 3 years since they are strictly indoor cats and have absolutely
>> no
>> contact with other cats and we thought the risks from the injections more
>> threat.. However, the three newcomers all have URIs (that are under
>> control
>> now after a week of Clavamox.
>>
>> Do you think we should have our resident three vaccinated before allowing
>> them contact with the three newbies?
>>

> Definitely!
>
> Earlier this year, one our cats got a bad cold. Sneezing and snotty
> nose. She was behind on vaccinations at the time. She went to the vet,
> got meds, and improved. A few days later, Jay Jay got it, only he got
> it worse. Fever, dehydrated, no appetite. He looked like he had a
> hangover. He had his first vaciinations the previous year, and he was
> a couple months overdue for the next vaccination. He went to the vet,
> got more meds (fluids, shot to start antibiotics, and higher dosage
> pills since he is larger). As he was getting over it, Chase started
> sneezing. For one day only. He got over it. He was also current on his
> vaccinations.
>
> Last month, Christi got it again. She had not been vaccinated yet
> since she was sick at the time of the previous vet visit. This time,
> she was the only one to get it.
>
> If they are going to be hanging out together, they share their germs.
> URIs are very common in catteries simply because one cat can set it
> off. If they are already vaccinated, they will be able to fight it off
> and deal with it.
>
> Also, since meeting new housemates is stressful, that makes it easier
> for stuff like this to get going.
>
> Personally, I won't be letting the vaccinations lapse again. Jay Jay
> was miserable for several days because of this, and he still had to
> get a checkup and vacinnation after he was better. Had I done it
> earlier, I would have saved him the misery, saved me the worry, saved
> a trip to the vet, and saved $100 too.
>
> I am so glad that Chase got updated when he was there to have his
> toenails checked (he ripped two out, so we wanted to make sure they
> didn't get infected).

I don't want the vet to give them rabies shots - or anything else they don't
absolutely need to stay healthy in a house with no contact with other cats
(besides the newcomers? So, what do you think are the "minimally required"
shots just to keep them vaccinated from the URI's (FHV/FCV)?

Hugs,

CatNipped

July 4th 07, 01:34 AM
On Jul 3, 5:40 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Jul 2, 7:39 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> >> We're still keeping the three new rescues separated from our resident
> >> three - and will be for a while yet.
>
> >> I got to thinking, though. We have not had our residing three vaccinated
> >> in
> >> the last 3 years since they are strictly indoor cats and have absolutely
> >> no
> >> contact with other cats and we thought the risks from the injections more
> >> threat.. However, the three newcomers all have URIs (that are under
> >> control
> >> now after a week of Clavamox.
>
> >> Do you think we should have our resident three vaccinated before allowing
> >> them contact with the three newbies?
>
> > Definitely!
>
> > Earlier this year, one our cats got a bad cold. Sneezing and snotty
> > nose. She was behind on vaccinations at the time. She went to the vet,
> > got meds, and improved. A few days later, Jay Jay got it, only he got
> > it worse. Fever, dehydrated, no appetite. He looked like he had a
> > hangover. He had his first vaciinations the previous year, and he was
> > a couple months overdue for the next vaccination. He went to the vet,
> > got more meds (fluids, shot to start antibiotics, and higher dosage
> > pills since he is larger). As he was getting over it, Chase started
> > sneezing. For one day only. He got over it. He was also current on his
> > vaccinations.
>
> > Last month, Christi got it again. She had not been vaccinated yet
> > since she was sick at the time of the previous vet visit. This time,
> > she was the only one to get it.
>
> > If they are going to be hanging out together, they share their germs.
> > URIs are very common in catteries simply because one cat can set it
> > off. If they are already vaccinated, they will be able to fight it off
> > and deal with it.
>
> > Also, since meeting new housemates is stressful, that makes it easier
> > for stuff like this to get going.
>
> > Personally, I won't be letting the vaccinations lapse again. Jay Jay
> > was miserable for several days because of this, and he still had to
> > get a checkup and vacinnation after he was better. Had I done it
> > earlier, I would have saved him the misery, saved me the worry, saved
> > a trip to the vet, and saved $100 too.
>
> > I am so glad that Chase got updated when he was there to have his
> > toenails checked (he ripped two out, so we wanted to make sure they
> > didn't get infected).
>
> I don't want the vet to give them rabies shots - or anything else they don't
> absolutely need to stay healthy in a house with no contact with other cats
> (besides the newcomers? So, what do you think are the "minimally required"
> shots just to keep them vaccinated from the URI's (FHV/FCV)?

I would ask your vet. I know the rabies shot is separate here, and I
only did that one for a cat when he was going to a cat show. The
regular vacinnation is either a 3 or 4 type vaccine. Your vet knows
what you are trying to prevent, so they should be able to advise you
better.

Phil P.
July 4th 07, 07:23 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> We're still keeping the three new rescues separated from our resident
> three - and will be for a while yet.
>
> I got to thinking, though. We have not had our residing three vaccinated
in
> the last 3 years since they are strictly indoor cats and have absolutely
no
> contact with other cats and we thought the risks from the injections more
> threat.. However, the three newcomers all have URIs (that are under
control
> now after a week of Clavamox.
>
> Do you think we should have our resident three vaccinated before allowing
> them contact with the three newbies?
>
> Thanks,

The only vaccine I would recommend in your situation for your resident cats
is the bivalent Heska UltraNasal FVRC (rhinotracheitis virus and calicivirus
only). This vaccine produces very quick local immunity- where the cats need
it the most- in about 2 days. They don't need *any* other vaccines. Avoid
the FeLV and especially the FIV vaccines.

Good luck,

Phil

CatNipped
July 4th 07, 06:38 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> We're still keeping the three new rescues separated from our resident
>> three - and will be for a while yet.
>>
>> I got to thinking, though. We have not had our residing three vaccinated
> in
>> the last 3 years since they are strictly indoor cats and have absolutely
> no
>> contact with other cats and we thought the risks from the injections more
>> threat.. However, the three newcomers all have URIs (that are under
> control
>> now after a week of Clavamox.
>>
>> Do you think we should have our resident three vaccinated before allowing
>> them contact with the three newbies?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> The only vaccine I would recommend in your situation for your resident
> cats
> is the bivalent Heska UltraNasal FVRC (rhinotracheitis virus and
> calicivirus
> only). This vaccine produces very quick local immunity- where the cats
> need
> it the most- in about 2 days. They don't need *any* other vaccines. Avoid
> the FeLV and especially the FIV vaccines.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Phil

Thank you Phil!!! I'm printing this note right now to take to the vet with
me!

Hugs,

CatNipped