PDA

View Full Version : (Phil?) Weaning off beta blockers?

cybercat
July 3rd 07, 04:47 PM
My new vet sat that our 12-year-old cat can come off of beta blockers now
that she has been on thyroid medication for several years, because "many
times, in these cats, after the thyroid levels are stable for some time,
they can be weaned off of the beta blockers."

The reason she is on them is that she was having little fainting
spells--that is what my old vet called them--where she would list a bit to
the side and paw at the ground and just seem really out of it. He said the
high heart rate she had all the years she was undiagnosed with hyperthyroid
had made her heart unstable, so that it would fibrillate and she would have
these little spells. (They were very scary, for me. Usually they happened
before she ate, as she gets really excited about food. I would call to her
and it was like she couldn't hear me.)

Anyone else have experience weaning their cats off of beta blockers? It
would be nice to give her one less pill per day, but on the other hand she
never has fits while on this medicine, so I am not sure I want to change
things.

Thanks for any input.

bookie
July 4th 07, 03:02 AM
On 3 Jul, 16:47, "cybercat" > wrote:
> My new vet sat that our 12-year-old cat can come off of beta blockers now
> that she has been on thyroid medication for several years, because "many
> times, in these cats, after the thyroid levels are stable for some time,
> they can be weaned off of the beta blockers."
>
> The reason she is on them is that she was having little fainting
> spells--that is what my old vet called them--where she would list a bit to
> the side and paw at the ground and just seem really out of it. He said the
> high heart rate she had all the years she was undiagnosed with hyperthyroid
> had made her heart unstable, so that it would fibrillate and she would have
> these little spells. (They were very scary, for me. Usually they happened
> before she ate, as she gets really excited about food. I would call to her
> and it was like she couldn't hear me.)
>
> Anyone else have experience weaning their cats off of beta blockers? It
> would be nice to give her one less pill per day, but on the other hand she
> never has fits while on this medicine, so I am not sure I want to change
> things.
>
> Thanks for any input.

neither of my cats with hyperthyroidism have been on beta blockers at
the same time as their thyroid medication (felimazole in both cases),
now I am wondering whether they should have been/be.
is it normal procedure to give them beta blockers too? jessie is on
just felimazole twice daily and seems ok.

Phil P.
July 4th 07, 07:21 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> My new vet sat that our 12-year-old cat can come off of beta blockers now
> that she has been on thyroid medication for several years, because "many
> times, in these cats, after the thyroid levels are stable for some time,
> they can be weaned off of the beta blockers."

He's right.

> The reason she is on them is that she was having little fainting
> spells--that is what my old vet called them--where she would list a bit to
> the side and paw at the ground and just seem really out of it. He said the
> high heart rate she had all the years she was undiagnosed with
hyperthyroid
> had made her heart unstable, so that it would fibrillate and she would
have
> these little spells. (They were very scary, for me. Usually they happened
> before she ate, as she gets really excited about food. I would call to her
> and it was like she couldn't hear me.)
>
> Anyone else have experience weaning their cats off of beta blockers? It
> would be nice to give her one less pill per day, but on the other hand she
> never has fits while on this medicine, so I am not sure I want to change
> things.
>
> Thanks for any input.

If her hyperthyroidism is under control and she's euthyroid, she shouldn't
have tachycardia or arrhythmias and shouldn't need a beta blocker anymore-
unless she has actual heart disease. I've never used a beta blocker
long-term- only once in awhile to stabilize cats that were slow to become
euthyroid on meds or I-131.

Phil

cybercat
July 4th 07, 05:57 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:B%[email protected]

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> My new vet sat that our 12-year-old cat can come off of beta blockers now
>> that she has been on thyroid medication for several years, because "many
>> times, in these cats, after the thyroid levels are stable for some time,
>> they can be weaned off of the beta blockers."
>
> He's right.
>

>> The reason she is on them is that she was having little fainting
>> spells--that is what my old vet called them--where she would list a bit
>> the side and paw at the ground and just seem really out of it. He said
>> the
>> high heart rate she had all the years she was undiagnosed with
> hyperthyroid
>> had made her heart unstable, so that it would fibrillate and she would
> have
>> these little spells. (They were very scary, for me. Usually they happened
>> before she ate, as she gets really excited about food. I would call to
>> her
>> and it was like she couldn't hear me.)
>>
>> Anyone else have experience weaning their cats off of beta blockers? It
>> would be nice to give her one less pill per day, but on the other hand
>> she
>> never has fits while on this medicine, so I am not sure I want to change
>> things.
>>
>> Thanks for any input.
>
> If her hyperthyroidism is under control and she's euthyroid, she shouldn't
> have tachycardia or arrhythmias and shouldn't need a beta blocker anymore-
> unless she has actual heart disease. I've never used a beta blocker
> long-term- only once in awhile to stabilize cats that were slow to become
> euthyroid on meds or I-131.
>
> Phil

cybercat
July 4th 07, 05:58 PM
"Phil P." > wrote

> If her hyperthyroidism is under control and she's euthyroid, she shouldn't
> have tachycardia or arrhythmias and shouldn't need a beta blocker anymore-
> unless she has actual heart disease. I've never used a beta blocker
> long-term- only once in awhile to stabilize cats that were slow to become
> euthyroid on meds or I-131.

Thanks so much, Phil. I'll feel better about following the vet's advice now.
She said we can start the next time Boo is tested, which will be later this
month.