PDA

View Full Version : Is this feeding method safe?

July 3rd 07, 07:19 PM
My sister feeds her cat partly with food from cans with pull tabs.
She pulls the top off, then puts the can down at the feeding place and
lets the cat dig the food out with his tongue.

I'm concerned about his cutting his tongue on the rim. The rim is
clearly not as sharp as that which results from using a can opener,
but it doesn't feel completely dull to me, either. (The dog also
sometimes eats from the cans after the cat's done. This concerns me
more, since dogs seem to be less careful eaters.)

Is this a valid concern, or have the manufacturers found a way to make
the rims too dull to matter?

- John

PretLetters
July 3rd 07, 07:39 PM
Op Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:19:31 +0200 schreef
>:

> My sister feeds her cat partly with food from cans with pull tabs.
> She pulls the top off, then puts the can down at the feeding place and
> lets the cat dig the food out with his tongue.
>
> I'm concerned about his cutting his tongue on the rim.

> Is this a valid concern, or have the manufacturers found a way to make
> the rims too dull to matter?

Ask your sister if she would eat out of a can like that, or let her
daughter/son/your mother do that. Other than estetics/etiquette, why not?

There you have your answer.

--
<URL:http://www.pretletters.net/>

Sherry
July 4th 07, 05:50 PM
On Jul 3, 1:19 pm, "
> wrote:
> My sister feeds her cat partly with food from cans with pull tabs.
> She pulls the top off, then puts the can down at the feeding place and
> lets the cat dig the food out with his tongue.
>
> I'm concerned about his cutting his tongue on the rim. The rim is
> clearly not as sharp as that which results from using a can opener,
> but it doesn't feel completely dull to me, either. (The dog also
> sometimes eats from the cans after the cat's done. This concerns me
> more, since dogs seem to be less careful eaters.)
>
> Is this a valid concern, or have the manufacturers found a way to make
> the rims too dull to matter?
>
> - John

I think it's a valid concern. It's not that hard to dump it in a dish,
why doesn't she
do that? I'd rather see people use paper plates than let the cat eat
out of can.
SAfety issues aside, Cats *hate* to eat that way. They don't even like
deep dishes. They prefer a wide
shallow bowl.

Sherry

James
July 5th 07, 01:53 AM
On Jul 4, 12:50 pm, Sherry > wrote:
> On Jul 3, 1:19 pm, "
>
> > wrote:
> > My sister feeds her cat partly with food from cans with pull tabs.
> > She pulls the top off, then puts the can down at the feeding place and
> > lets the cat dig the food out with his tongue.
>
> > I'm concerned about his cutting his tongue on the rim. The rim is
> > clearly not as sharp as that which results from using a can opener,
> > but it doesn't feel completely dull to me, either. (The dog also
> > sometimes eats from the cans after the cat's done. This concerns me
> > more, since dogs seem to be less careful eaters.)
>
> > Is this a valid concern, or have the manufacturers found a way to make
> > the rims too dull to matter?
>
> > - John
>
> I think it's a valid concern. It's not that hard to dump it in a dish,
> why doesn't she
> do that? I'd rather see people use paper plates than let the cat eat
> out of can.
> SAfety issues aside, Cats *hate* to eat that way. They don't even like
> deep dishes. They prefer a wide
> shallow bowl.
>
> Sherry

I can stick my tongue in the hole of a can of coke. While it's not a
pleasent feeling, it's not likely to cut me. You can wasn one of the
empty pet food cans and test it with your tongue and let us know your
opinion. If cats hate to eat that way they wouldn't lick it so clean.

Lis
July 5th 07, 02:04 AM
On Jul 3, 2:19 pm, "
> wrote:
> My sister feeds her cat partly with food from cans with pull tabs.
> She pulls the top off, then puts the can down at the feeding place and
> lets the cat dig the food out with his tongue.
>
> I'm concerned about his cutting his tongue on the rim. The rim is
> clearly not as sharp as that which results from using a can opener,
> but it doesn't feel completely dull to me, either. (The dog also
> sometimes eats from the cans after the cat's done. This concerns me
> more, since dogs seem to be less careful eaters.)
>
> Is this a valid concern, or have the manufacturers found a way to make
> the rims too dull to matter?
>
> - John

I think it's a valid concern. It's not a huge risk, but it's a
completely pointless one. And the fact that the cats WILL eat that
way, doesn't mean that it's their favorite thing to do, or that they
wouldn't prefer and be safer being fed out of a wide and smooth-rimmed
plate--or even a paper plate, as someone else suggested.

Lis

Sherry
July 5th 07, 02:40 AM
On Jul 4, 7:53 pm, James > wrote:
> On Jul 4, 12:50 pm, Sherry > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 3, 1:19 pm, "
>
> > > wrote:
> > > My sister feeds her cat partly with food from cans with pull tabs.
> > > She pulls the top off, then puts the can down at the feeding place and
> > > lets the cat dig the food out with his tongue.
>
> > > I'm concerned about his cutting his tongue on the rim. The rim is
> > > clearly not as sharp as that which results from using a can opener,
> > > but it doesn't feel completely dull to me, either. (The dog also
> > > sometimes eats from the cans after the cat's done. This concerns me
> > > more, since dogs seem to be less careful eaters.)
>
> > > Is this a valid concern, or have the manufacturers found a way to make
> > > the rims too dull to matter?
>
> > > - John
>
> > I think it's a valid concern. It's not that hard to dump it in a dish,
> > why doesn't she
> > do that? I'd rather see people use paper plates than let the cat eat
> > out of can.
> > SAfety issues aside, Cats *hate* to eat that way. They don't even like
> > deep dishes. They prefer a wide
> > shallow bowl.
>
> > Sherry
>
> I can stick my tongue in the hole of a can of coke. While it's not a
> pleasent feeling, it's not likely to cut me. You can wasn one of the
> empty pet food cans and test it with your tongue and let us know your
> opinion. If cats hate to eat that way they wouldn't lick it so clean.- Hide quoted text -

I already have an opinion. If you're too frigging lazy to rinse out a
dish, the cat's
probably lucky it gets fed in the first place. That's why it's eating
out of a can--not
because it *likes* it, because it's hungry.
Most cats prefer a wide, shallow dish. Nonplastic is preferable.

Sherry

Rhonda
July 5th 07, 03:40 AM
Lis wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2:19 pm, "
> > wrote:
>
>>My sister feeds her cat partly with food from cans with pull tabs.
>>She pulls the top off, then puts the can down at the feeding place and
>>lets the cat dig the food out with his tongue.
>>
>>I'm concerned about his cutting his tongue on the rim. The rim is
>>clearly not as sharp as that which results from using a can opener,
>>but it doesn't feel completely dull to me, either. (The dog also
>>sometimes eats from the cans after the cat's done. This concerns me
>>more, since dogs seem to be less careful eaters.)
>>
>>Is this a valid concern, or have the manufacturers found a way to make
>>the rims too dull to matter?
>>
>>- John
>

> I think it's a valid concern. It's not a huge risk, but it's a
> completely pointless one. And the fact that the cats WILL eat that
> way, doesn't mean that it's their favorite thing to do, or that they
> wouldn't prefer and be safer being fed out of a wide and smooth-rimmed
> plate--or even a paper plate, as someone else suggested.

I can testify that it's not dull! I opened a catfood can once and it
came off fast and sliced through my hand. I ended up in the ER getting
stitches.

I wouldn't feed a cat out of the can. Their tongues might be a bit more
buffered than ours because of all of those scrubby points, but I
wouldn't tempt fate.

Rhonda

James
July 5th 07, 03:50 AM
On Jul 4, 10:40 pm, Rhonda > wrote:
> Lis wrote:
> > On Jul 3, 2:19 pm, "
> > > wrote:
>
> >>My sister feeds her cat partly with food from cans with pull tabs.
> >>She pulls the top off, then puts the can down at the feeding place and
> >>lets the cat dig the food out with his tongue.
>
> >>I'm concerned about his cutting his tongue on the rim. The rim is
> >>clearly not as sharp as that which results from using a can opener,
> >>but it doesn't feel completely dull to me, either. (The dog also
> >>sometimes eats from the cans after the cat's done. This concerns me
> >>more, since dogs seem to be less careful eaters.)
>
> >>Is this a valid concern, or have the manufacturers found a way to make
> >>the rims too dull to matter?
>
> >>- John
>
> > I think it's a valid concern. It's not a huge risk, but it's a
> > completely pointless one. And the fact that the cats WILL eat that
> > way, doesn't mean that it's their favorite thing to do, or that they
> > wouldn't prefer and be safer being fed out of a wide and smooth-rimmed
> > plate--or even a paper plate, as someone else suggested.
>
> I can testify that it's not dull! I opened a catfood can once and it
> came off fast and sliced through my hand. I ended up in the ER getting
> stitches.
>
> I wouldn't feed a cat out of the can. Their tongues might be a bit more
> buffered than ours because of all of those scrubby points, but I
> wouldn't tempt fate.
>
> Rhonda- Hide quoted text -

I'm surprised you didn't sue for millions because the can didn't have
a warning that you can cut your hand. Guess you don't live in an area
with a bunch of sleezy lawyers.

Rhonda
July 5th 07, 04:14 AM
James wrote:

> I'm surprised you didn't sue for millions because the can didn't have
> a warning that you can cut your hand. Guess you don't live in an area
> with a bunch of sleezy lawyers.

James, maybe you should think about getting off the computer and going
outside to protect your remaining rabbit.

Rhonda

Fred G. Mackey[_2_]
July 5th 07, 05:19 AM
PretLetters wrote:
> Op Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:19:31 +0200 schreef
> >:
>
>> My sister feeds her cat partly with food from cans with pull tabs.
>> She pulls the top off, then puts the can down at the feeding place and
>> lets the cat dig the food out with his tongue.
>>
>> I'm concerned about his cutting his tongue on the rim.
>

>> Is this a valid concern, or have the manufacturers found a way to make
>> the rims too dull to matter?
>

> Ask your sister if she would eat out of a can like that, or let her
> daughter/son/your mother do that. Other than estetics/etiquette, why not?

If I'm eating alone, I have no problem eating out of a can like that.
Tuna is good food!

> There you have your answer.

PawsForThought
July 5th 07, 06:03 PM
On Jul 3, 2:19 pm, "
> wrote:
> Is this a valid concern, or have the manufacturers found a way to make
> the rims too dull to matter?

Geesh, tell the idiot to put the poor cat's food on a plate or in a
dish.