PDA

View Full Version : LITTER ROBOT II Self-Cleaning Litterbox

clayton
July 9th 07, 12:52 AM
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read my post. Does anybody own a
Litter Robot II Litterbox? If you do I'd like to ask you a question about
sanitary issues. On the manufacturer's website I saw the demonstration on
how the Litter Robot works and saw a potential issue. When the Litter Robot
rotates, the waste comes in contact with a small part of the wall and the
scoop that is attatched to the top of the dome. Isn't there a chance when
the Litter Robot rotates back to the normal position that fecal matter and
urine can be smeared on the inside wall and on the scoop which is directly
over the cat when it's using the litterbox? After the cat leaves, the
Litter Robot operates on a mere 7 minute timer before it tries to deposit
waste. 7 minutes doesn't seem long enough for the urine to clump into a
rock; so it doesn't fall apart into a wet mess. I've read a lot of great
reviews about this product but I'm fussy about cleanliness; I don't want my
cats soiled and tracking it all over the house! Please tell me what your
experiences have been regarding this issue. THANK YOU!!

Mr Tanaka
July 9th 07, 10:21 AM
On Jul 8, 11:52 pm, "clayton" > wrote:
t cleanliness; I don't want my
> cats soiled and tracking it all over the house! Please tell me what your
> experiences have been regarding this issue. THANK YOU!!

I don't have any auto scoopers
one of my customers did

what is there to know! get a decent one, and keep yure store receipt.

try it out!

July 9th 07, 11:47 PM
On Jul 8, 4:52 pm, "clayton" > wrote:
> Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read my post. Does anybody own a
> Litter Robot II Litterbox? If you do I'd like to ask you a question about
> sanitary issues. On the manufacturer's website I saw the demonstration on
> how the Litter Robot works and saw a potential issue. When the Litter Robot
> rotates, the waste comes in contact with a small part of the wall and the
> scoop that is attatched to the top of the dome. Isn't there a chance when
> the Litter Robot rotates back to the normal position that fecal matter and
> urine can be smeared on the inside wall and on the scoop which is directly
> over the cat when it's using the litterbox? After the cat leaves, the
> Litter Robot operates on a mere 7 minute timer before it tries to deposit
> waste. 7 minutes doesn't seem long enough for the urine to clump into a
> rock; so it doesn't fall apart into a wet mess. I've read a lot of great
> reviews about this product but I'm fussy about cleanliness; I don't want my
> cats soiled and tracking it all over the house! Please tell me what your
> experiences have been regarding this issue. THANK YOU!!

You are right the globe will rotate and the "matter" is sifted around,
if it is wet enough it should accuminate more dry litter and go from
there.
I have the litter robot 1 but I didn't think about your issue. It
works great for me, just change bags and occasional scrubbing of the
whole unit.
Let's put it this way, if the kitty jumps on my dining table and
decide to prop his butt on my dining mat, I can't do anything about
that and that would be just as un-clean as what you are thinking of.
so some fur get brushed against the liter robot shouldn't be a big
deal. IMO. I have this for two years and no sickness or ill effects
in human and cats from using it.

dgk
July 10th 07, 02:04 PM
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 18:52:06 -0500, "clayton" >
wrote:

>Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read my post. Does anybody own a
>Litter Robot II Litterbox? If you do I'd like to ask you a question about
>sanitary issues. On the manufacturer's website I saw the demonstration on
>how the Litter Robot works and saw a potential issue. When the Litter Robot
>rotates, the waste comes in contact with a small part of the wall and the
>scoop that is attatched to the top of the dome. Isn't there a chance when
>the Litter Robot rotates back to the normal position that fecal matter and
>urine can be smeared on the inside wall and on the scoop which is directly
>over the cat when it's using the litterbox? After the cat leaves, the
>Litter Robot operates on a mere 7 minute timer before it tries to deposit
>waste. 7 minutes doesn't seem long enough for the urine to clump into a
>rock; so it doesn't fall apart into a wet mess. I've read a lot of great
>reviews about this product but I'm fussy about cleanliness; I don't want my
>cats soiled and tracking it all over the house! Please tell me what your
>experiences have been regarding this issue. THANK YOU!!

No experience but I'm intrigued by the product. Some of the reviews
mention a problem with large cats, and while two of mine are normal
size, Nipsy is around 17 lbs and big. Also a wuss.

Anyway, how is this on dust? One of my main problems with a litterbox
is the dust that settles all around the bathroom. If this handles dust
well, and it would seem to, then it is worth $300. If Nipsy will use
it, that is.

Upscale
July 11th 07, 03:50 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message

> Anyway, how is this on dust? One of my main problems with a litterbox
> is the dust that settles all around the bathroom. If this handles dust
> well, and it would seem to, then it is worth $300. If Nipsy will use
> it, that is.

18 months ago, I bought a Littermaid for my cat. She was 6 months old when I
adopted her and not fully grown, so she didn't poop as much as a full grown
cat. I used a high quality scoopable litter that had very good dust control
and I could go three or four days before having the empty the collector
tray. The Littermaid broke down at 8 months and was replaced under warranty.
Near the end of it's one year warranty term, it started making a very
irritating screeching noise, so I gave up on it and just bought a new one.
That one failed about a month into warranty and I didn't bother to get it
replaced, I just tossed it out. By the time the second one failed, my cat
was nearly full grown and the collector tray got filled every one or two
days. Cleaning the thing was a pain in the ass with all it's crooks and
crannies, it was easier to buy the largest Rubbermaid container I could
find, cut a slot in it and just use that. Reasonably flat bottom, no way my
big cat could aim her behind anywhere except inside it and no more
irritating noise of any type from the thing operating in the middle of the
night.

So, in my opinion, a self cleaning litter box is a waste of time, money and
effort. IMHO.

dgk
July 11th 07, 01:27 PM
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:50:22 -0400, "Upscale" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>
>> Anyway, how is this on dust? One of my main problems with a litterbox
>> is the dust that settles all around the bathroom. If this handles dust
>> well, and it would seem to, then it is worth $300. If Nipsy will use
>> it, that is.
>
>18 months ago, I bought a Littermaid for my cat. She was 6 months old when I
>adopted her and not fully grown, so she didn't poop as much as a full grown
>cat. I used a high quality scoopable litter that had very good dust control
>and I could go three or four days before having the empty the collector
>tray. The Littermaid broke down at 8 months and was replaced under warranty.
>Near the end of it's one year warranty term, it started making a very
>irritating screeching noise, so I gave up on it and just bought a new one.
>That one failed about a month into warranty and I didn't bother to get it
>replaced, I just tossed it out. By the time the second one failed, my cat
>was nearly full grown and the collector tray got filled every one or two
>days. Cleaning the thing was a pain in the ass with all it's crooks and
>crannies, it was easier to buy the largest Rubbermaid container I could
>find, cut a slot in it and just use that. Reasonably flat bottom, no way my
>big cat could aim her behind anywhere except inside it and no more
>irritating noise of any type from the thing operating in the middle of the
>night.
>
>So, in my opinion, a self cleaning litter box is a waste of time, money and
>effort. IMHO.

If you look at the testimonials on epinions and such, you will see
that many have awful things to say about the Littermaids and great
things to say about the Litterrobot. They appear to be very different
products. I made the same mistake you did when I first saw the thread
and just figured that it was one of the crappy things.

It isn't cheap though. It is around $300. I'm really considering it
though since I need a second litterbox (3 cats now) and while I have a
second one in a spare room, it's going to have to move somewhere else
soon. The significant other is complaining. I'm thinking of putting
one in the basement but I rarely go down there so a self-cleaning one
would really be ideal.

Sam[_3_]
April 12th 09, 08:45 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:50:22 -0400, "Upscale" >
> wrote:
>

>>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Anyway, how is this on dust? One of my main problems with a litterbox
>>> is the dust that settles all around the bathroom. If this handles dust
>>> well, and it would seem to, then it is worth $300. If Nipsy will use
>>> it, that is.
>>
>>18 months ago, I bought a Littermaid for my cat. She was 6 months old when
>>adopted her and not fully grown, so she didn't poop as much as a full
>>grown
>>cat. I used a high quality scoopable litter that had very good dust
>>control
>>and I could go three or four days before having the empty the collector
>>tray. The Littermaid broke down at 8 months and was replaced under
>>warranty.
>>Near the end of it's one year warranty term, it started making a very
>>irritating screeching noise, so I gave up on it and just bought a new one.
>>That one failed about a month into warranty and I didn't bother to get it
>>replaced, I just tossed it out. By the time the second one failed, my cat
>>was nearly full grown and the collector tray got filled every one or two
>>days. Cleaning the thing was a pain in the ass with all it's crooks and
>>crannies, it was easier to buy the largest Rubbermaid container I could
>>find, cut a slot in it and just use that. Reasonably flat bottom, no way
>>my
>>big cat could aim her behind anywhere except inside it and no more
>>irritating noise of any type from the thing operating in the middle of the
>>night.
>>
>>So, in my opinion, a self cleaning litter box is a waste of time, money
>>and
>>effort. IMHO.
>>

> If you look at the testimonials on epinions and such, you will see
> that many have awful things to say about the Littermaids and great
> things to say about the Litterrobot. They appear to be very different
> products. I made the same mistake you did when I first saw the thread
> and just figured that it was one of the crappy things.
>
> It isn't cheap though. It is around $300. I'm really considering it
> though since I need a second litterbox (3 cats now) and while I have a
> second one in a spare room, it's going to have to move somewhere else
> soon. The significant other is complaining. I'm thinking of putting
> one in the basement but I rarely go down there so a self-cleaning one
> would really be ideal.

I have had my Litter Robot II for over a month. It has made owning my 2 cats
a pleasure. It works exactly as advertised with absolutely no problems.

When I got it I set it next to the broken littermaid. The LR was filled with
fresh litter with a cup of old litter from the littermaid. I didn't scoop
the littermaid and after 2 days the cats were using the LR and now I can
almost forget the litter problem. I empty the LR every 5-6 days. I add
litter when it gets low. It uses standard kitchen trash bags.

Samantha

dgk
April 13th 09, 02:13 PM
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 00:45:44 -0700, "Sam" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:50:22 -0400, "Upscale" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"dgk" > wrote in message

>> It isn't cheap though. It is around $300. I'm really considering it
>> though since I need a second litterbox (3 cats now) and while I have a
>> second one in a spare room, it's going to have to move somewhere else
>> soon. The significant other is complaining. I'm thinking of putting
>> one in the basement but I rarely go down there so a self-cleaning one
>> would really be ideal.
>
>I have had my Litter Robot II for over a month. It has made owning my 2 cats
>a pleasure. It works exactly as advertised with absolutely no problems.
>
>When I got it I set it next to the broken littermaid. The LR was filled with
>fresh litter with a cup of old litter from the littermaid. I didn't scoop
>the littermaid and after 2 days the cats were using the LR and now I can
>almost forget the litter problem. I empty the LR every 5-6 days. I add
>litter when it gets low. It uses standard kitchen trash bags.
>
>Samantha

Old thread comes back to haunt!

How big are the cats? I have one very big 16 lb cat with lots of hair.
He barely fits into a large litter box. The reviews say that large
cats do ok though. He isn't 25 lbs and I guess a lot of him is
actually hair. He looks like a yak but without the horns.

Does the area get dusty? That's my major complaint about the current
system. I don't mind having to scoop it, well, not much. It has the
advantage of letting me know if any of the cats are off their feed so
to speak.

Sam[_3_]
April 13th 09, 08:38 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 00:45:44 -0700, "Sam" >
> wrote:
>

>>"dgk" > wrote in message

>>> It isn't cheap though. It is around $300. I'm really considering it
>>> though since I need a second litterbox (3 cats now) and while I have a
>>> second one in a spare room, it's going to have to move somewhere else
>>> soon. The significant other is complaining. I'm thinking of putting
>>> one in the basement but I rarely go down there so a self-cleaning one
>>> would really be ideal.
>>
>>I have had my Litter Robot II for over a month. It has made owning my 2
>>cats
>>a pleasure. It works exactly as advertised with absolutely no problems.
>>
>>When I got it I set it next to the broken littermaid. The LR was filled
>>with
>>fresh litter with a cup of old litter from the littermaid. I didn't scoop
>>the littermaid and after 2 days the cats were using the LR and now I can
>>almost forget the litter problem. I empty the LR every 5-6 days. I add
>>litter when it gets low. It uses standard kitchen trash bags.
>>
>>Samantha
>>

> Old thread comes back to haunt!
>
> How big are the cats? I have one very big 16 lb cat with lots of hair.
> He barely fits into a large litter box. The reviews say that large
> cats do ok though. He isn't 25 lbs and I guess a lot of him is
> actually hair. He looks like a yak but without the horns.
>
> Does the area get dusty? That's my major complaint about the current
> system. I don't mind having to scoop it, well, not much. It has the
> advantage of letting me know if any of the cats are off their feed so
> to speak.

My male, Jessie, is quite large about 15 pounds. I have the bubble model of
the Litter Robot. He has no problems with size. He is an all American black
and white short hair.

I have watched the LR when it rotates, there is no visible dust. The area
around it is carpeted so dust wouldn't show much. It is vacuumned regularly.

If you don't mind scooping and are always there to do it, the LR would be a
waste of money at $350.