PDA

View Full Version : Suckling and weaning


ROK Hound
July 9th 07, 04:41 PM
On Jul 14 2004, 10:23 am, Karen Chuplis > wrote:
> Cakehead at wrote on 7/13/04 6:06 PM:
>
> > I have just acquired two cats thru my daughters, one male, one female.
> > The female Pretzel I can handle as she is only my friend when I feed
> > her: however, Squeaky, the male, seems to have some fascination in
> > climbing onto my shoulders and sucking my ear lobes- is this some sort
> > of behaviour that means I am lacking something in his diet, or do I
> > have a "gaycat"?
>
> How old? Some cats just keep this habit from being a baby. It is a comfort
> thing. Nothing more or less.

Do they grow out of it eventually? My 3 kits (2 girls, 1 boy) were
taken
from their mom when they were 6 weeks old. They are now 12 weeks,
and the boy is still suckling on older sister. Younger sister does
too,
but very rarely. The boy does it several times a day with no decrease
in frequecy in sight.

Is he ever going to stop? Will the suckling cause the older sister's
first estrus to come early? Anything I can do to help encourage
"weaning"?


ROK.

Lynne
July 11th 07, 12:05 AM
on Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:41:07 GMT, ROK Hound >
wrote:

> Is he ever going to stop? Will the suckling cause the older sister's
> first estrus to come early? Anything I can do to help encourage
> "weaning"?

Let him suckle on you? My nearly year old kitten still does this, ahem.
(On my lip, BTW.) There's no way he's growing out of this, hehe.

--
Lynne

cybercat
July 11th 07, 12:15 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:41:07 GMT, ROK Hound >
> wrote:
>
>> Is he ever going to stop? Will the suckling cause the older sister's
>> first estrus to come early? Anything I can do to help encourage
>> "weaning"?
>
> Let him suckle on you? My nearly year old kitten still does this, ahem.
> (On my lip, BTW.) There's no way he's growing out of this, hehe.
>

It's a good thing you return his love. :)

judas me
July 11th 07, 12:26 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "Lynne" > wrote in message
> . 97.142...
> > on Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:41:07 GMT, ROK Hound >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Is he ever going to stop? Will the suckling cause the older sister's
> >> first estrus to come early? Anything I can do to help encourage
> >> "weaning"?
> >
> > Let him suckle on you? My nearly year old kitten still does this, ahem.
> > (On my lip, BTW.) There's no way he's growing out of this, hehe.
> >
>
> It's a good thing you return his love. :)

maybe we can afford to get some help together

Lynne
July 11th 07, 12:28 AM
on Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:15:57 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> It's a good thing you return his love. :)

He's irresistible.

We just got a new 8 week old puppy this weekend and Levi is hiding a lot,
so he's been getting some extra lip, as well as extra all over body rubs
and cuddles. I didn't think "extra" of any of that was possible. ;)

He has a new thing he does to me. In addition to climbing up my pants leg
to get to me when I'm standing, now if I'm crouched on the floor, he climbs
up my back and over my shoulder to my face. Ha ha, ouch!

Rudy loves the new pup. He loves everyone. He was the first to greet him
when we brought him home. Too cute.

--
Lynne

cybercat
July 11th 07, 12:39 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:15:57 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> It's a good thing you return his love. :)
>
> He's irresistible.
>
> We just got a new 8 week old puppy this weekend


SQUEEEEEEEEAAAAALLLLLL!


You b*tch!!!!!!! I am so jealous.

Where are the pictures?????????

Lynne
July 11th 07, 01:23 AM
on Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:39:26 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> SQUEEEEEEEEAAAAALLLLLL!
>
>
> You b*tch!!!!!!! I am so jealous.

I'd bottle up some puppy breath and send it to you if I could!! :)

> Where are the pictures?????????

Here ya go!

http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it

There are 3 albums here, one is of his litter and one is of photos I took
this weekend. Hendrix is from Golden Retriever rescue. His mama was
pulled from a shelter the day before she gave birth. I've been visiting
him in his foster home since he was 3 weeks old. He was the odd pup in the
litter, so naturally I had to pick him. And boy did I get lucky. He's
already learned sit and down and he comes to his name, has swum in the baby
pool and only had 2 potty accidents in 4 days (1 on his first day, and
another on his second day - our fault, of course!).

No idea how big he'll get or what he'll ultimately look like, but we don't
care. He's PERFECT!

--
Lynne

cybercat
July 11th 07, 01:50 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:39:26 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> SQUEEEEEEEEAAAAALLLLLL!
>>
>>
>> You b*tch!!!!!!! I am so jealous.
>
> I'd bottle up some puppy breath and send it to you if I could!! :)
>
>> Where are the pictures?????????
>
> Here ya go!
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it

He is soooo beautiful!

Photos 4, 6, and 8 in the first album completely kill me!!
>
> There are 3 albums here, one is of his litter and one is of photos I took
> this weekend. Hendrix is from Golden Retriever rescue. His mama was
> pulled from a shelter the day before she gave birth. I've been visiting
> him in his foster home since he was 3 weeks old. He was the odd pup in
> the
> litter, so naturally I had to pick him. And boy did I get lucky. He's
> already learned sit and down and he comes to his name, has swum in the
> baby
> pool and only had 2 potty accidents in 4 days (1 on his first day, and
> another on his second day - our fault, of course!).
>
> No idea how big he'll get or what he'll ultimately look like, but we don't
> care. He's PERFECT!
>

He's a chocolatey color, so lovely ... I want to go over the rest of the
photos
again.

cybercat
July 11th 07, 01:52 AM
"Lynne" > wrote:
>
> Here ya go!
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it
>

oh noooo, I take it back. This is the photo that really
kills me:

http://tinyurl.com/35xcoe

I would ruin this puppy with kisses!

What a face!

Cheryl
July 11th 07, 02:00 AM
On Tue 10 Jul 2007 08:23:51p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
. 97.142>:

>> Where are the pictures?????????
>
> Here ya go!
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it

He's just totally adorable!

--
Cheryl

cybercat
July 11th 07, 03:49 AM
"Lynne" > wrote
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it
>
>

What happened to Harrison?

ROK Hound
July 11th 07, 05:09 PM
On Jul 11, 8:05 am, Lynne > wrote:
> on Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:41:07 GMT, ROK Hound >
> wrote:
>
> > Is he ever going to stop? Will the suckling cause the older sister's
> > first estrus to come early? Anything I can do to help encourage
> > "weaning"?
>
> Let him suckle on you?

No, I don't think so. He's a biter.

Lynne
July 12th 07, 01:45 AM
on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:00:00 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> He's just totally adorable!

Aw, thanks. We're all in love with him! Well, except for poor Levi. He's
not digging the puppy. :(

--
Lynne

Lynne
July 12th 07, 01:47 AM
on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 02:49:52 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> What happened to Harrison?

Oh, poor little Harrison... he was so sweet, and so mellow. The first time
I met the pups, he planted his cute little self right next to me and stayed
there.

He aspirated some food shortly after weaning and died in the foster mom's
arms on the way to the emergency vet. It was very sad, and the kids in the
family really took it hard.

--
Lynne

cybercat
July 12th 07, 01:58 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 02:49:52 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> What happened to Harrison?
>
> Oh, poor little Harrison... he was so sweet, and so mellow. The first
> time
> I met the pups, he planted his cute little self right next to me and
> stayed
> there.
>
> He aspirated some food shortly after weaning and died in the foster mom's
> arms on the way to the emergency vet. It was very sad, and the kids in
> the
> family really took it hard.
>

Aww, poor little sweet thing. That is so sad. I saw a puppy with a
malfunctioning esophagus on Animal Planet Animal Rescue, he fought so hard
but died anyway.

Anyway, your baby is the most gorgeous of the litter!



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Lynne
July 12th 07, 02:09 AM
on Thu, 12 Jul 2007 00:58:39 GMT, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> Aww, poor little sweet thing. That is so sad. I saw a puppy with a
> malfunctioning esophagus on Animal Planet Animal Rescue, he fought so
> hard but died anyway.

They didn't do an autopsy (a rescue really can't afford to spend money on
something like that), but he probably had some kind of congenital defect.
One of the daughters in the family is emotionally fragile and took
Harrison's death particularly hard. She gave our pup his name and was
really, really glad when we told her we were not changing it. My heart
really hurt for them.

> Anyway, your baby is the most gorgeous of the litter!

Aw, thanks! Actually, Rascal looks most like a Golden and is really,
really handsome BUT I do agree with you. :)

We got lucky, too. His temperament (so far) is really good. He's so much
fun, but man, am I tired! Haha.

--
Lynne