PDA

View Full Version : Feline diabetes

July 9th 07, 06:28 PM
Hello!!!

I have a cat whose name is Tom. He has been recently diagnosed with
diabetes. It is really sad news for me and my family, cause we treat
him like a family member and love him so much.

I researched many websites so far to look for cure and etc, but so far
liked only one website, which is www.catdiabetes.net. Just wanted to
share it with everyone whose cats are sick with diabetes as well.
As well as just want to ask if anyone can advice anything else about
this horrible sickness that making my cat to suffer.:((

Thank you so much.

cindys
July 9th 07, 06:46 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello!!!
>
> I have a cat whose name is Tom. He has been recently diagnosed with
> diabetes. It is really sad news for me and my family, cause we treat
> him like a family member and love him so much.
>
> I researched many websites so far to look for cure and etc, but so far
> liked only one website, which is www.catdiabetes.net. Just wanted to
> share it with everyone whose cats are sick with diabetes as well.
> As well as just want to ask if anyone can advice anything else about
> this horrible sickness that making my cat to suffer.:((
----
Here's the good news! Many cats who have been diagnosed with diabetes go
into remission after treatment with glargine (Lantus) insulin and being
placed on a low carbohydrate diet. My cat Alex was diagnosed with diabetes
over a year ago. After fewer than three weeks on Lantus insulin, his
diabetes went into remission, and he no longer required insulin at all. I
keep him on a low carbohydrate diet (any canned cat food with little or few
grains or other carbohydrates) and dry Purina OM (overweight management)
prescription food from the veterinarian. Since being on this diet, he has
lost a few pounds, which is a main factor in keeping diabetes in remission.
He is doing great with no sign of recurrence. I test his blood glucose at
home approximately once every six weeks, and it is consistently less than
100, and he hasn't required any insulin in well over a year.

Good luck and please keep us updated.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

judas you
July 11th 07, 10:56 PM
On Jul 9, 5:46 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
and it is consistently less than
> 100, and he hasn't required any insulin in well over a year.

Well this is just wonderful news! keep up the good work.

Barry

July 13th 07, 06:17 AM
Hi there,

We also had a cat with diabetes. I was in such shock when we found
out, and we did go through many trials, but he had a good quality of
life.

One message board that I just loved (and answered questions even in
the middle of the night) was www.felinediabetes.com. You have to sign
up for the message board with a small profile and then can ask
questions.

Good luck with Tom. Don't let the vet start out with big doses of
insulin. The key is to start small and go up slowly after a week or
two of monitoring the new dose. Cats can be tricky diabetes patients
and look like they need more insulin when they need less. Don't
hesitate to ask your vet for a referral to an internist vet if there
are any complications at all.

Rhonda

wrote:
> Hello!!!
>
> I have a cat whose name is Tom. He has been recently diagnosed with
> diabetes. It is really sad news for me and my family, cause we treat
> him like a family member and love him so much.
>
> I researched many websites so far to look for cure and etc, but so far
> liked only one website, which is www.catdiabetes.net. Just wanted to
> share it with everyone whose cats are sick with diabetes as well.
> As well as just want to ask if anyone can advice anything else about
> this horrible sickness that making my cat to suffer.:((
>
> Thank you so much.

NigelD
July 13th 07, 06:11 PM
Hello!!!

I have a cat whose name is Tom. He has been recently diagnosed with
diabetes. It is really sad news for me and my family, cause we treat
him like a family member and love him so much.

I researched many websites so far to look for cure and etc, but so far
liked only one website, which is www.catdiabetes.net. Just wanted to
share it with everyone whose cats are sick with diabetes as well.
As well as just want to ask if anyone can advice anything else about
this horrible sickness that making my cat to suffer.:((

Thank you so much.

My cat (Tomtom strangely enough) was diagnosed with diabetes just over a year ago now - I have to inject him with insulin every day and he has to eat special dibetic food but he has regained all of the weoght that he had lost and is now doing just fine.

July 15th 07, 05:38 AM
My cat became diabetic after receiving a steriod shot for asthma
earlier this year. I did not notice the symptoms right away so she
lost a lot of weight before I realized there was a problem. One of
the symptoms of the steriod shot is excessive drinking, which also
happens to be a symptom of diabetes. I started giving Cleo insulin
shots twice a day on May 7. Now my she appears to be in diabetic
remission and my vet is having me test her BG twice a day before each
feeding. So far she has not needed a shot for the last 3 days and her
BG level pre-feeding has been very stable averaging 71 mg/dl.

At first I was nervous able giving my cat shots, but she didn't even
seem to notice them. I think that was partly because she was so
excited about getting canned food, which I used to only give her on
special occassions. I was getting into a good routine before she went
into remission. I have been able to test her BG level at home once I
figured out how to use the BG meter (I had the best luck getting blood
from Cleo's ear).

Best of luck to all of you. I got lots of information from
http://www.petdiabetes.org/ but there are all kinds of sites out
there.

One thing I would caution - my vet is wonderful, but they had not had
a patient who did BG monitoring at home before so they were not able
to give me any advice about the best way to do it. I did some
research on the Internet and ended up buying an Accu-Check Advantage
monitor (it's made for people but it works for cats). If you're not
squeamish about blood, this can be a very cost effective way of
monitoring your cat's BG level. For me it's a great advantage because
I don't have to drag my cat to the vet all the time. At first, I was
nervous about pricking Cleo's ears to get blood, but the vet said that
it would not cause any permanent damage. I had been concerned that it
would be painful for Cleo, but it doesn't appear to be. She's more
bothered by being wrapped in a towel (makes the process easier for me)
than she is about actually giving up the blood.