PDA

View Full Version : home cleaning tips / excessive shreds

July 9th 07, 07:39 PM
When we first got my 2 kittens they didn't shred alot, now they seem
to shred 11 months of the year. Especially one of them much more. I
am in CA and it is hot, but I am not sure if this is normal ! We
feed nutro maxcat which should be pretty good for their coats.

When we pet our cats, fur fly off their bodies. They leave hair on
every fabric they sat on.
I have bought this "furminator" comb. I think I will start to use
regularly is supposed to eliminate shreadding.

I have curtains completely covered with hair that we have no luck
cleaning off! any idea how we can keep our house clean. We love our
cats despite our house is turning into a big mess. We just cleaned
the whole house yesterday, I would like to know your cleaning inteval
to keep your house clean, do you vacuum everyday?

Do you think a dyson vacuum would help.. is there a vacuum attachment
we can try on our existing vacuum?

I also use the litter perfect from costco, there are some tracking
issues but it's economoical, do you think those little clear crystal
balls litter will keep the house cleaner, they have their own litter
closet but still alot of litter over the house.

Thanks
owner of 2 cats, 2 years old.

Rene S.
July 9th 07, 08:25 PM
On Jul 9, 1:39 pm, wrote:
> When we first got my 2 kittens they didn't shred alot, now they seem
> to shred 11 months of the year. Especially one of them much more. I
> am in CA and it is hot, but I am not sure if this is normal ! We
> feed nutro maxcat which should be pretty good for their coats.

Do you feed canned? I've noticed a lot less shedding with a high-
quality canned food. Of course, cats will shed no matter what. Brush
regularly, which will help a lot.

> I have curtains completely covered with hair that we have no luck
> cleaning off! any idea how we can keep our house clean. We love our
> cats despite our house is turning into a big mess. We just cleaned
> the whole house yesterday, I would like to know your cleaning inteval
> to keep your house clean, do you vacuum everyday?

I wish I could say that I vacuum everyday. . but I don't. I vacuum
once per week. I will wipe down chair cushions and regularly used
items every other day or so.

> Do you think a dyson vacuum would help.. is there a vacuum attachment
> we can try on our existing vacuum?

Personally, I don't want to spend $500+ on a vacuum cleaner. I use the
furniture attachment on our regular vacuum. A small shop vac works
well too, and has a ton of suction. Another thing I do is use a Gonzo
sponge on chairs and curtains. It's a dense, yellow sponge that you
rub across the surface and it grabs the hair. Rinse with water, and
reuse. You can buy at a pet store. DON'T buy the Walmart generic. It's
cheaper, but a crummy substitute.

> I also use the litter perfect from costco, there are some tracking
> issues but it's economoical, do you think those little clear crystal
> balls litter will keep the house cleaner, they have their own litter
> closet but still alot of litter over the house.

I'm not a fan of those litter balls--would not like to step on those!
I would think they would not feel good on cat's paws. I have some
thick carpet samples I use to catch excess litter. I place around the
litterbox. Not perfect, but it helps.

Rene