PDA

View Full Version : Litterbox retraining

Philip Meech
July 10th 07, 12:31 AM
I have a calico about ten years old who would rather pee on the oriental
rug than use his multicat litter box. He poops near but not in the box.
He used to use it perfectly. How do I retrain him to use it again?

cybercat
July 10th 07, 12:37 AM
"Philip Meech" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a calico about ten years old who would rather pee on the oriental
>rug than use his multicat litter box. He poops near but not in the box. He
>used to use it perfectly. How do I retrain him to use it again?

You should have a box for each cat, and you should keep them very clean.

Now that the damage is done, the only thing you can do is confine him to a
utility room or bathroom with his box, food, water, maybe a bed and some
toys, and get him back in the habit of going in the box. Cats are creatures
of habit.

Keep him in there for 5-7 days, go visit him and praise him when you clean
the
box. Let him out after a week and monitor the spot closely, as well as the
whole
rug. If he reverts, show him the spot, tell him "NO!" and confine him again
for
a couple of days. Repeat as needed. (This works for me, with a tuxedo cat
who
is doing the same thing.)

My Shangri-La
July 10th 07, 12:40 AM
Philip Meech wrote:
> I have a calico about ten years old who would rather pee on the oriental
> rug than use his multicat litter box. He poops near but not in the box.
> He used to use it perfectly. How do I retrain him to use it again?

he's upset or he's sick
you don't need to retrain him

Gail
July 10th 07, 12:52 AM
1. Have him see a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection.
2. Provide him with another box. He may want to pee in one and poop in the
other.
Gail
"Philip Meech" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a calico about ten years old who would rather pee on the oriental
>rug than use his multicat litter box. He poops near but not in the box. He
>used to use it perfectly. How do I retrain him to use it again?

cybercat
July 10th 07, 01:22 AM
"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> 1. Have him see a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection.

This is very important. I left it out. It is definitely the thing to do
first because
inappropriate elimination is most often a sign of urinary tract infections
in male
cats.