PDA

View Full Version : Cat pees on clothes

July 10th 07, 02:51 PM
My girlfriend's cat has developed a habit of peeing on clothes that
are left on the floor. We think that she's upset because my
girlfriend is working longer hours and not around to keep the cat
company. Anyway, if you leave clothes (or in one case, a bedsheet) on
the floor, there's a good chance it will get peed on. Last night the
cat peed in a laundry basket full of clean clothes.

Will Feliway help with this? My understanding is that Feliway has to
be sprayed on the item or area where the cat tends to mark; putting
this all over the floor and clothes would be impractical. And then
the clothes would smell like cat pheromones. What about Comfort
Zone? Again, I don't think we want the smell of cat pheromones in her
clothes (although it's better than the smell of cat pee). What are
some other options for altering her new behavior?

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks

Gail
July 10th 07, 03:44 PM
The cat should be seen by a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. You
cannot assume it is behavioral until this is done.
Gail
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> My girlfriend's cat has developed a habit of peeing on clothes that
> are left on the floor. We think that she's upset because my
> girlfriend is working longer hours and not around to keep the cat
> company. Anyway, if you leave clothes (or in one case, a bedsheet) on
> the floor, there's a good chance it will get peed on. Last night the
> cat peed in a laundry basket full of clean clothes.
>
> Will Feliway help with this? My understanding is that Feliway has to
> be sprayed on the item or area where the cat tends to mark; putting
> this all over the floor and clothes would be impractical. And then
> the clothes would smell like cat pheromones. What about Comfort
> Zone? Again, I don't think we want the smell of cat pheromones in her
> clothes (although it's better than the smell of cat pee). What are
> some other options for altering her new behavior?
>
> Any and all advice is welcome.
>
> Thanks

cybercat
July 10th 07, 03:45 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> My girlfriend's cat has developed a habit of peeing on clothes that
> are left on the floor. We think that she's upset because my
> girlfriend is working longer hours and not around to keep the cat
> company. Anyway, if you leave clothes (or in one case, a bedsheet) on
> the floor, there's a good chance it will get peed on. Last night the
> cat peed in a laundry basket full of clean clothes.
>
> Will Feliway help with this? My understanding is that Feliway has to
> be sprayed on the item or area where the cat tends to mark; putting
> this all over the floor and clothes would be impractical. And then
> the clothes would smell like cat pheromones. What about Comfort
> Zone? Again, I don't think we want the smell of cat pheromones in her
> clothes (although it's better than the smell of cat pee). What are
> some other options for altering her new behavior?

Take her to the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection, and if she
does not have one, confine her with her box, food and water, and
some toys, to a utility room or bathroom to retrain her to go in
her box. I had a cat who, after the vet tried everything, including
medication, he concluded just "preferred to pee on fabric." She
actually peed in the middle of my bed on a regular basis. There
was nothing I could come up with that would have upset her,
so I don't think she was trying to get my attention or was
bothered by anything. (This is another reason they sometimes
eliminate inappropriately--they are smart and know how to get
our attention! A new person or pet in the house, a change in
food, a dirty litter box, or being left alone are all things that
can upset a cat. There are more.)

I found confining the cat worked because it works with their
strongly ingrained sense of routine. It is hard, because you feel
you are being cruel, but leave her in there 5-7 days, going in to
visit and play regularly, and praising and petting her. When you
let her out, if you find a peed-upon spot, take her to it and tell
her "no!" then immediately take her to the confinement room,
set her box up there, etc. For another couple of days. Repeat
as needed. This works with my current cat with this problem.

bookie
July 11th 07, 01:22 AM
On 10 Jul, 14:51, wrote:
> My girlfriend's cat has developed a habit of peeing on clothes that
> are left on the floor. We think that she's upset because my
> girlfriend is working longer hours and not around to keep the cat
> company. Anyway, if you leave clothes (or in one case, a bedsheet) on
> the floor, there's a good chance it will get peed on. Last night the
> cat peed in a laundry basket full of clean clothes.
>
> Will Feliway help with this? My understanding is that Feliway has to
> be sprayed on the item or area where the cat tends to mark; putting
> this all over the floor and clothes would be impractical. And then
> the clothes would smell like cat pheromones. What about Comfort
> Zone? Again, I don't think we want the smell of cat pheromones in her
> clothes (although it's better than the smell of cat pee). What are
> some other options for altering her new behavior?
>
> Any and all advice is welcome.
>
> Thanks

the feliway does not have to be put on to the clothes as such, you can
get it in the form of 'diffusers' which you plug in to a wall socket
and it disperses the stuff around your home and calms the cat. They
dont' cost much and probably a lot less than buying all new clothes,
ask your vet about them when you take you cat in

and stop leaving clothes lying about for her to pee on too, that might
help matters

bookie

judas me
July 11th 07, 01:47 AM
On Jul 11, 12:22 am, bookie > wrote:

> and stop leaving clothes lying about for her to pee on too, that might
> help matters

that's an old wives tell

SantaSteeler
July 11th 07, 03:10 AM
you take away the target you end the problem. especially soiled or worn
clothes. they already have an oder to them.

"judas me" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 11, 12:22 am, bookie > wrote:
>
>> and stop leaving clothes lying about for her to pee on too, that might
>> help matters
>
> that's an old wives tell

Matthew
July 11th 07, 07:09 AM
You know it is a good thing to take to the vet to rule out UTI but I am
going to bet that it is not the case. A UTI would be not in a place where
a cat climbs up to that more unlikely is behaviorally

Have you change the soap or fabric softener.

Have you ****ed off the cat any time recently other than the girlfriend
working longer hours

Also just because you washed the clothes does not mean there is not a smell
on it or that it was truly cleaned.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> My girlfriend's cat has developed a habit of peeing on clothes that
> are left on the floor. We think that she's upset because my
> girlfriend is working longer hours and not around to keep the cat
> company. Anyway, if you leave clothes (or in one case, a bedsheet) on
> the floor, there's a good chance it will get peed on. Last night the
> cat peed in a laundry basket full of clean clothes.
>
> Will Feliway help with this? My understanding is that Feliway has to
> be sprayed on the item or area where the cat tends to mark; putting
> this all over the floor and clothes would be impractical. And then
> the clothes would smell like cat pheromones. What about Comfort
> Zone? Again, I don't think we want the smell of cat pheromones in her
> clothes (although it's better than the smell of cat pee). What are
> some other options for altering her new behavior?
>
> Any and all advice is welcome.
>
> Thanks

bookie
July 11th 07, 11:40 PM
On 11 Jul, 01:47, judas me > wrote:
> On Jul 11, 12:22 am, bookie > wrote:
>
> > and stop leaving clothes lying about for her to pee on too, that might
> > help matters
>
> that's an old wives tell

********, when my tegan (god rest her furry soul) was happily munching
on our clothes we solved it by not leaving clothes lying around on the
floor, on beds etc. if they were no jumpers or fleeces left around for
her to chew on she wouldn't do it, simple, so she stopped

btw I am coxing a crew at a veteran's regatta this weekend, right
bunch of codgers, nice chaps despite the fact they are BARRY BC in
canada!!!!!
would you f*cking believe it??!!!!

I'll wager they get disqualified before they even get to race for
talking crap or something at the umpires, or arguing with officials,
or trying to race whilst stoned out of their heads

bookie

judas you
July 11th 07, 11:51 PM
bookie wrote:

> > that's an old wives tell
>
> ********, when my tegan ...simple, so she stopped

hmmm, mine just haven't done that yet, or.. I do have all my dirty
laundry in one neat pile. but not always, sometimes things are strewn
around, just depends on how sweaty or quick I need to change, then I
sling them!

> btw I am coxing a crew at a veteran's regatta this weekend, right
> bunch of codgers, nice chaps despite the fact they are BARRY BC in
> canada!!!!!
> would you f*cking believe it??!!!!

what is BARRY BC?

how cool bookie, you can tell me.. are they in trouble?

> I'll wager they get disqualified before they even get to race for
> talking crap or something at the umpires, or arguing with officials,
> or trying to race whilst stoned out of their heads

If you say so, but maybe you could beat them to the jump by being
plain spoken.
I mean, actually tell them, no dope smoking. (you have to say that),
then share your desire to actually win. Im sure you want to win!

see... if they got all the energy to do the wrong stuff, maybe you can
trick them into channeling it.. and when it's time to row, maybe you
could talk mean to them, call them "pussies" and what not. pretend to
get real angry with them.

Sounds like a bunch of kids to me

bookie
July 12th 07, 12:32 AM
On 11 Jul, 23:51, judas you > wrote:
> bookie wrote:
> > > that's an old wives tell
>
> > ********, when my tegan ...simple, so she stopped
>
> hmmm, mine just haven't done that yet, or.. I do have all my dirty
> laundry in one neat pile. but not always, sometimes things are strewn
> around, just depends on how sweaty or quick I need to change, then I
> sling them!
>
> > btw I am coxing a crew at a veteran's regatta this weekend, right
> > bunch of codgers, nice chaps despite the fact they are BARRY BC in
> > canada!!!!!
> > would you f*cking believe it??!!!!
>
> what is BARRY BC?
>
> how cool bookie, you can tell me.. are they in trouble?
>
> > I'll wager they get disqualified before they even get to race for
> > talking crap or something at the umpires, or arguing with officials,
> > or trying to race whilst stoned out of their heads
>
> If you say so, but maybe you could beat them to the jump by being
> plain spoken.
> I mean, actually tell them, no dope smoking. (you have to say that),
> then share your desire to actually win. Im sure you want to win!
>
> see... if they got all the energy to do the wrong stuff, maybe you can
> trick them into channeling it.. and when it's time to row, maybe you
> could talk mean to them, call them "pussies" and what not. pretend to
> get real angry with them.
>
> Sounds like a bunch of kids to me

nah they are all about 60, they are veteran rowers, come over for a
rowing holiday or whatever, went for 'practise' tonight (thats what
you yanks call it isn;t it?) and they were rather reserved. they are
from some place in ontario

I thought canadians were all dull anyway? that nto the case? all the
ones I have met were fairly dull but then when I lived there for a
while but i was on a rather small town, maybe it is different inthe
cities, dunno, I just could not wait to get home.

what freaked me out the most was that everyone drives everywhere,
noone walks anywhere, even to the corner shop, well weird

bookie
July 12th 07, 12:32 AM
On 11 Jul, 23:51, judas you > wrote:
> bookie wrote:
> > > that's an old wives tell
>
> > ********, when my tegan ...simple, so she stopped
>
> hmmm, mine just haven't done that yet, or.. I do have all my dirty
> laundry in one neat pile. but not always, sometimes things are strewn
> around, just depends on how sweaty or quick I need to change, then I
> sling them!
>
> > btw I am coxing a crew at a veteran's regatta this weekend, right
> > bunch of codgers, nice chaps despite the fact they are BARRY BC in
> > canada!!!!!
> > would you f*cking believe it??!!!!
>
> what is BARRY BC?
>
> how cool bookie, you can tell me.. are they in trouble?
>
> > I'll wager they get disqualified before they even get to race for
> > talking crap or something at the umpires, or arguing with officials,
> > or trying to race whilst stoned out of their heads
>
> If you say so, but maybe you could beat them to the jump by being
> plain spoken.
> I mean, actually tell them, no dope smoking. (you have to say that),
> then share your desire to actually win. Im sure you want to win!
>
> see... if they got all the energy to do the wrong stuff, maybe you can
> trick them into channeling it.. and when it's time to row, maybe you
> could talk mean to them, call them "pussies" and what not. pretend to
> get real angry with them.
>
> Sounds like a bunch of kids to me

oh yeah, the BC stands for boat club

Sherry
July 12th 07, 05:51 AM
On Jul 10, 8:51 am, wrote:
> My girlfriend's cat has developed a habit of peeing on clothes that
> are left on the floor. We think that she's upset because my
> girlfriend is working longer hours and not around to keep the cat
> company. Anyway, if you leave clothes (or in one case, a bedsheet) on
> the floor, there's a good chance it will get peed on. Last night the
> cat peed in a laundry basket full of clean clothes.
>
> Will Feliway help with this? My understanding is that Feliway has to
> be sprayed on the item or area where the cat tends to mark; putting
> this all over the floor and clothes would be impractical. And then
> the clothes would smell like cat pheromones. What about Comfort
> Zone? Again, I don't think we want the smell of cat pheromones in her
> clothes (although it's better than the smell of cat pee). What are
> some other options for altering her new behavior?
>
> Any and all advice is welcome.
>
> Thanks

Yoda does the same thing, and has done it for 15 years. He doesn't
have a urinary
tract infection; he isn't upset; he simply likes to pee on towels/
clothes in the floor.
You can do two things; you can stop leaving clothes in the floor, but
he'll probably
start peeing on the bathroom rug. Or you can leave an old towel next
to the litterbox and
just let him pee on it, and wash it daily.
But, keep in mind that for some cats, this is a classic urinary-tract-
infection symptom. You
should rule that out first.

Sherry

cybercat
July 12th 07, 01:34 PM
"Sherry" > wrote

> Yoda does the same thing, and has done it for 15 years. He doesn't
> have a urinary
> tract infection; he isn't upset; he simply likes to pee on towels/
> clothes in the floor.
> You can do two things; you can stop leaving clothes in the floor, but
> he'll probably
> start peeing on the bathroom rug. Or you can leave an old towel next
> to the litterbox and
> just let him pee on it, and wash it daily.
> But, keep in mind that for some cats, this is a classic urinary-tract-
> infection symptom. You
> should rule that out first.

This is true. We are going through this with Boo now. While it is true that
she
began peeing in the dining room because
my husband was not keeping her box clean (it's down there in his office area
and one of his agreed-upon household tasks as I rarely go down there), now
she pees outside the box because she appears to prefer it, as you say.

He is keeping the box immaculate, and I am keeping her downstairs
with the door shut, away from the dining room and third level. Still, when I
opened the door and called her up to breakfast, I saw a great big wet
spot at the bottom of the carpeted stairs. She now has the habit of
looking for fabric of some sort to pee on.

Before I resort to the towel, I think I will confine her to the utility
room for a few days if I can bear it. (I so hate to shut her up
in there, or at all, because I like the girls to hang out together,
but if Gracie starts this, we are truly screwed.) She started
out as a cat that went in the box, so I think she can return to
that. We are changing her litter as a first step, he has been using
those icky crystal things.

T C MCKEAN
July 12th 07, 10:06 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Sherry" > wrote
>>
>> Yoda does the same thing, and has done it for 15 years. He doesn't
>> have a urinary
>> tract infection; he isn't upset; he simply likes to pee on towels/
>> clothes in the floor.
>> You can do two things; you can stop leaving clothes in the floor, but
>> he'll probably
>> start peeing on the bathroom rug. Or you can leave an old towel next
>> to the litterbox and
>> just let him pee on it, and wash it daily.
>> But, keep in mind that for some cats, this is a classic urinary-tract-
>> infection symptom. You
>> should rule that out first.
>>

> This is true. We are going through this with Boo now. While it is true
> that she
> began peeing in the dining room because
> my husband was not keeping her box clean (it's down there in his office
> area
> and one of his agreed-upon household tasks as I rarely go down there), now
> she pees outside the box because she appears to prefer it, as you say.
>
> He is keeping the box immaculate, and I am keeping her downstairs
> with the door shut, away from the dining room and third level. Still, when
> opened the door and called her up to breakfast, I saw a great big wet
> spot at the bottom of the carpeted stairs. She now has the habit of
> looking for fabric of some sort to pee on.
>
> Before I resort to the towel, I think I will confine her to the utility
> room for a few days if I can bear it. (I so hate to shut her up
> in there, or at all, because I like the girls to hang out together,
> but if Gracie starts this, we are truly screwed.) She started
> out as a cat that went in the box, so I think she can return to
> that. We are changing her litter as a first step, he has been using
> those icky crystal things.

If I might also suggest a possible solution or two. She may not like the
type of litter you are using in her box. If she is declawed she will like
the smallest grain litter you can find her paws would be sore and rough
litter causes pain. If this does not solve the problem you may wish to use a
diaper or scrap material instead of the litter for a while, then slowly add
litter underneath once she is becoming regular in her litter box. Of course
the final step would be to eventually remove the cloth material perhaps with
an interim step of placing it next to her litter box which has the correct
litter in it.

cybercat
July 12th 07, 11:03 PM
"T C MCKEAN" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> If I might also suggest a possible solution or two. She may not like the
> type of litter you are using in her box.

Yes, we will change it to a finer clumping, fairly dust free, the one I use
for our other cat.

If she is declawed she will like
> the smallest grain litter you can find her paws would be sore and rough
> litter causes pain.

I allowed a vet to declaw my first cat, because I did not understand that
it was mutilation or that it can cause behavioral problems such as
inappropriate elimination, biting, and anxiety. I still feel terrible about
it, and that was 20 year ago. I would never have another cat declawed,
and my current cats have their claws.

If this does not solve the problem you may wish to use a
> diaper or scrap material instead of the litter for a while, then slowly
> add litter underneath once she is becoming regular in her litter box. Of
> course the final step would be to eventually remove the cloth material
> perhaps with an interim step of placing it next to her litter box which
> has the correct litter in it.

Thank you. I love my cats but really would like to avoid having to handle
pee-soaked fabric several times a day. Still, it is a novel approach, and I
thank you for your ideas. I will keep you posted.

Sherry
July 12th 07, 11:57 PM
On Jul 12, 7:34 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote
>

> > Yoda does the same thing, and has done it for 15 years. He doesn't
> > have a urinary
> > tract infection; he isn't upset; he simply likes to pee on towels/
> > clothes in the floor.
> > You can do two things; you can stop leaving clothes in the floor, but
> > he'll probably
> > start peeing on the bathroom rug. Or you can leave an old towel next
> > to the litterbox and
> > just let him pee on it, and wash it daily.
> > But, keep in mind that for some cats, this is a classic urinary-tract-
> > infection symptom. You
> > should rule that out first.
>
> This is true. We are going through this with Boo now. While it is true that
> she
> began peeing in the dining room because
> my husband was not keeping her box clean (it's down there in his office area
> and one of his agreed-upon household tasks as I rarely go down there), now
> she pees outside the box because she appears to prefer it, as you say.
>
> He is keeping the box immaculate, and I am keeping her downstairs
> with the door shut, away from the dining room and third level. Still, when I
> opened the door and called her up to breakfast, I saw a great big wet
> spot at the bottom of the carpeted stairs. She now has the habit of
> looking for fabric of some sort to pee on.
>
> Before I resort to the towel, I think I will confine her to the utility
> room for a few days if I can bear it. (I so hate to shut her up
> in there, or at all, because I like the girls to hang out together,
> but if Gracie starts this, we are truly screwed.) She started
> out as a cat that went in the box, so I think she can return to
> that. We are changing her litter as a first step, he has been using
> those icky crystal things.

Good luck with that. I hope it works. Nothing worked with Yoda and
over the years I got tired of
fussing with him. (read: he won). The only reason I leave the towel
on the floor is that I was afraid
if I took up the little bathroom rugs, and stopped leaving anything on
the floor, he'd graduate to the
carpet. It's not hard to toss a towel in the wash. It's harder to deal
with soiled carpeting.

Sherry

cybercat
July 13th 07, 12:18 AM
"Sherry" > wrote \

> Good luck with that. I hope it works. Nothing worked with Yoda and
> over the years I got tired of
> fussing with him. (read: he won). The only reason I leave the towel
> on the floor is that I was afraid
> if I took up the little bathroom rugs, and stopped leaving anything on
> the floor, he'd graduate to the
> carpet. It's not hard to toss a towel in the wash. It's harder to deal
> with soiled carpeting.

I think the towel is ingenious. You're smart enough to know
that it never pays to have a battle of wills with a cat. They are
too slippery and too sneaky, so much pee and so many good
places to put it. ;)

July 13th 07, 06:06 AM
One explanation I've heard is that an insecure cat sometimes pees on
clothes to mix
his/her scent with the owner's. She could look at it as a sign of
love. :)

Rhonda

wrote:
> My girlfriend's cat has developed a habit of peeing on clothes that
> are left on the floor. We think that she's upset because my
> girlfriend is working longer hours and not around to keep the cat
> company. Anyway, if you leave clothes (or in one case, a bedsheet) on
> the floor, there's a good chance it will get peed on. Last night the
> cat peed in a laundry basket full of clean clothes.
>
> Will Feliway help with this? My understanding is that Feliway has to
> be sprayed on the item or area where the cat tends to mark; putting
> this all over the floor and clothes would be impractical. And then
> the clothes would smell like cat pheromones. What about Comfort
> Zone? Again, I don't think we want the smell of cat pheromones in her
> clothes (although it's better than the smell of cat pee). What are
> some other options for altering her new behavior?
>
> Any and all advice is welcome.
>
> Thanks

Sheelagh >o
July 14th 07, 01:49 PM
On 11 Jul, 23:40, bookie > wrote:
> On 11 Jul, 01:47, judas me > wrote:
>
> > On Jul 11, 12:22 am, bookie > wrote:
>
> > > and stop leaving clothes lying about for her to pee on too, that might
> > > help matters
>
> > that's an old wives tell
>
> ********, when my tegan (god rest her furry soul) was happily munching
> on our clothes we solved it by not leaving clothes lying around on the
> floor, on beds etc. if they were no jumpers or fleeces left around for
> her to chew on she wouldn't do it, simple, so she stopped
>
> btw I am coxing a crew at a veteran's regatta this weekend, right
> bunch of codgers, nice chaps despite the fact they are BARRY BC in
> canada!!!!!
> would you f*cking believe it??!!!!
>
> I'll wager they get disqualified before they even get to race for
> talking crap or something at the umpires, or arguing with officials,
> or trying to race whilst stoned out of their heads
>
> bookie

Paul had a Rottweiler called Tara that ate clothes. @ first, we just
thought it was odd sock syndrome (does anyone else here suffer from
that one? You put 2 socks in the washing machine, & when you peg it
out, there is only one of the pair in the washing basket...??)

It wasn't until we saw one poking out of her rear end that we cottoned
on to where they were going to (please excuse the pun here). She was
secretly pulling them out of the laundry basket @ night & having a
great old munch on them. I suppose that we are very lucky indeed that
we didn't get a huge bet from the vet as well...
In the end, I had to put the washing basket in the bathroom & lock it
from the outside because the silly Ermentrude (cow!), could open the
doors too!!

would you f*cking believe it??!!!!

Of course I would, LOL.
Were you disqualified in the end, or did they win the race?

Sheelagh

Sheelagh >o
July 14th 07, 02:03 PM
On 13 Jul, 00:18, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote \
>
> > Good luck with that. I hope it works. Nothing worked with Yoda and
> > over the years I got tired of
> > fussing with him. (read: he won). The only reason I leave the towel
> > on the floor is that I was afraid
> > if I took up the little bathroom rugs, and stopped leaving anything on
> > the floor, he'd graduate to the
> > carpet. It's not hard to toss a towel in the wash. It's harder to deal
> > with soiled carpeting.
>
> I think the towel is ingenious. You're smart enough to know
> that it never pays to have a battle of wills with a cat. They are
> too slippery and too sneaky, so much pee and so many good
> places to put it. ;)

> I think the towel is ingenious. You're smart enough to know
> that it never pays to have a battle of wills with a cat. They are
> too slippery and too sneaky, so much pee and so many good
> places to put it. ;)

One other thing you might want to consider is putting a cheap bathroom
mat down (with rubber underside), underneath the towel you are talking
about. This way, @ least if you can't win the battle of Will's, you
can @ least prevent it from smelling of cat pee....

Battle of wills with cats are a complete waste of time. they win every
single time, Lol
Sheelagh

T C MCKEAN
July 14th 07, 05:30 PM
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 13 Jul, 00:18, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Sherry" > wrote \
>>
>> > Good luck with that. I hope it works. Nothing worked with Yoda and
>> > over the years I got tired of
>> > fussing with him. (read: he won). The only reason I leave the towel
>> > on the floor is that I was afraid
>> > if I took up the little bathroom rugs, and stopped leaving anything on
>> > the floor, he'd graduate to the
>> > carpet. It's not hard to toss a towel in the wash. It's harder to deal
>> > with soiled carpeting.
>>
>> I think the towel is ingenious. You're smart enough to know
>> that it never pays to have a battle of wills with a cat. They are
>> too slippery and too sneaky, so much pee and so many good
>> places to put it. ;)
>>
>> --
>

>> I think the towel is ingenious. You're smart enough to know
>> that it never pays to have a battle of wills with a cat. They are
>> too slippery and too sneaky, so much pee and so many good
>> places to put it. ;)
>
> One other thing you might want to consider is putting a cheap bathroom
> mat down (with rubber underside), underneath the towel you are talking
> about. This way, @ least if you can't win the battle of Will's, you
> can @ least prevent it from smelling of cat pee....
>
> Battle of wills with cats are a complete waste of time. they win every
> single time, Lol
> Sheelagh
Battle of wills can be won by being the dominant cat and using their
behaviors against them. You have to really understand cat behavior to be
able to dominate them, which does not mean being cruel in any way. A
dominant cat will swat at the subordinate cat when it is doing unwanted
behaviors. If the subordinate cat persist in the behavior, the dominant cat
will force the subordinate cat into a defensive position of being on its
back and hover over it with claws and teeth visible. and staring at it for a
while. My dominant cat has done this many times with the other two household
cats. They get along great and can be found sleeping together and grooming
each other. One other tid bit.. The dominant cat will lick the subordinate
cats more frequently than the reverse as it is considered a more dominant
role.

cybercat
July 14th 07, 06:31 PM
> "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

> One other thing you might want to consider is putting a cheap bathroom
> mat down (with rubber underside), underneath the towel you are talking
> about. This way, @ least if you can't win the battle of Will's, you
> can @ least prevent it from smelling of cat pee....

Good idea! Boo makes a copious amount of pee most times.

>> Battle of wills with cats are a complete waste of time. they win every
>> single time, Lol

Men will often try it, and they just wind up with a frightened cat who
hates them.

Sheelagh >o
July 14th 07, 07:53 PM
On 14 Jul, 18:31, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > One other thing you might want to consider is putting a cheap bathroom
> > mat down (with rubber underside), underneath the towel you are talking
> > about. This way, @ least if you can't win the battle of Will's, you
> > can @ least prevent it from smelling of cat pee....
>
> Good idea! Boo makes a copious amount of pee most times.
>

> >> Battle of wills with cats are a complete waste of time. they win every
> >> single time, Lol
>
> Men will often try it, and they just wind up with a frightened cat who
> hates them.

> Good idea! Boo makes a copious amount of pee most times.

Tell me about it?!!

We had a similar problem with Lucy (fur!!) when we first allowed her
to start living indoors. She was a she-devil, wild eyed & very
frightened. There was no question of her even thinking about sharing a
litter with any of the other cats, so I had to set one up just for her
on the landing next to Tilly's room, outside her door.

When she need to poop, she would use the litter box, but when she
needed to pee, she wouldn't even leave the room & always did it just
next to her cupboard door, so I set up the bathroom mat exactly where
she went. It was highly absorbent,
(as it was meant to be), & whilst I washed one, I had another spare to
put down whilst the other one was laundered.

I am pleased to say that she did break the habit in the end, & now
goes in her private litter. I have observed Lilly trying to use it,
only to be chased away by Lucy (fur!!), who See's Tilly as *her*
personal slave, & Tilly's bedroom as her private quarters too. No
other cats are allowed in there, otherwise she starts wailing like a
banshee, rather like that cat in the "my cat talks" clip, on U-Tube,
that starts with " Oh no, no & goes on to Long John, if you know the
one I mean? She is a lovely cat, but highly territorial & very
emotionally dependant on Tilly, who is only 11, bless her ;o)

I am an acceptable substitute, but only when there is no other option

Sheelagh

bookie
July 15th 07, 01:47 AM
On 14 Jul, 13:49, "Sheelagh >o<" >
wrote:
> On 11 Jul, 23:40, bookie > wrote:

> > > that's an old wives tell
>
> > ********, when my tegan (god rest her furry soul) was happily munching
> > on our clothes we solved it by not leaving clothes lying around on the
> > floor, on beds etc. if they were no jumpers or fleeces left around for
> > her to chew on she wouldn't do it, simple, so she stopped
>
> > btw I am coxing a crew at a veteran's regatta this weekend, right
> > bunch of codgers, nice chaps despite the fact they are BARRY BC in
> > canada!!!!!
> > would you f*cking believe it??!!!!
>
> > I'll wager they get disqualified before they even get to race for
> > talking crap or something at the umpires, or arguing with officials,
> > or trying to race whilst stoned out of their heads
>
> > bookie
>
> Paul had a Rottweiler called Tara that ate clothes. @ first, we just
> thought it was odd sock syndrome (does anyone else here suffer from
> that one? You put 2 socks in the washing machine, & when you peg it
> out, there is only one of the pair in the washing basket...??)
>
> It wasn't until we saw one poking out of her rear end that we cottoned
> on to where they were going to (please excuse the pun here). She was
> secretly pulling them out of the laundry basket @ night & having a
> great old munch on them. I suppose that we are very lucky indeed that
> we didn't get a huge bet from the vet as well...
> In the end, I had to put the washing basket in the bathroom & lock it
> from the outside because the silly Ermentrude (cow!), could open the
> doors too!!
>
> would you f*cking believe it??!!!!
>
> Of course I would, LOL.
> Were you disqualified in the end, or did they win the race?
>
> Sheelagh- Hide quoted text -

no we lost by less than a length (boat length) whch wasn't bad
considering that they were a scratch crew and a fairly old bunch of
codgers. i was actually very gald we did not get through cos the
nextheat woudl have been at 8am this morning (mean gettign up at 6am
or so and those days are over for me) and if we got through that round
then the final woudl have been 3pm this afternoon and I didn;t fancy
spending the whole day hanging aruond a riverbank in henley with loads
of old crumblies. Nice old crumblies but all the same, not a patch on
the fine athletic bodies which were parading about at henley this time
last week for henley royal.

also i had a perior engagement this afternoon; standing around in the
high street wearing a big yellow bib and holding a plastic cat shaped
collecting tin collecting for cats protection. Personally i think that
is more important in the grand scheme of things than doing some rowing
race, and what with the lovely weather there were lots of people out
shopping and in a good mood and giving money so hopefully we will have
made a fair bit of cash for the homeless kitties. I wish i had taken
my sunscreen in my bag with me though as i got a bit sunburnt on my
face as stood in direct sunlight outside WHSmiths, oh well.

with tegan and her eating of woolly jumpers and other stuff, we
initially thought we had super-sized giant moths or something for a
while until my mum caught tegan lying on my dad's jumper on his bed,
in a trance like state with strands of wool hanigng out of her mouth.
The vet gave us some kind of parafin type jelly to put in her food to
flush it out of her system and we just made sure not to leave stuff
lying around that she would try and munch. Prevention is better than
cure i think and made the place much tidier, habit i am still in today
of not leaving jumpers etc lying around on the floor .

bless my little princess Tegan; she was as daft as a box of frogs and
a million times as lovely. I hope she is happy and having fun up there
on the other side of the rainbow bridge, my little smudgy sweetheart.

bookie

Sheelagh >o
July 15th 07, 03:32 AM
On 15 Jul, 01:47, bookie > wrote:
> [...]
> face as stood in direct sunlight outside WHSmiths, oh well.
>
> with tegan and her eating of woolly jumpers and other stuff, we
> initially thought we had super-sized giant moths or something for a
> while until my mum caught tegan lying on my dad's jumper on his bed,
> in a trance like state with strands of wool hanigng out of her mouth.
> The vet gave us some kind of parafin type jelly to put in her food to
> flush it out of her system and we just made sure not to leave stuff
> lying around that she would try and munch. Prevention is better than
> cure i think and made the place much tidier, habit i am still in today
> of not leaving jumpers etc lying around on the floor .
>
> bless my little princess Tegan; she was as daft as a box of frogs and
> a million times as lovely. I hope she is happy and having fun up there
> on the other side of the rainbow bridge, my little smudgy sweetheart.

Never mind, lol. Actually, it is a bit of a shame. It's ok if you come
3rd or 4th or whatever, but 2nd?? That is a bit of a bummer isn't it.
I must admit, it would have made for a very different afternoon
considering

Oh well.... I take it that had nothing to do with you saying Pullllll,
nowwwwww,
oh go on then, make it tomorrow @ your convenience then?

I do realise that the bodywork is slightly different to those that
were parading last week, but seeing as they came all that way from
Canada, it would have been quite nice & a bit of a hoo haa for them if
they had been able to take that cup home with them, wouldn't it?

Mind you, I have to admit that I would have found it a bit hard
shifting my bum on a Saturday am @ that time, but you are younger than
I am,& you don't bake @ ungodly hours all week (4am this week)..who
needs danish pastries by 7am I ask you?!!)

Hmm, I see that you did have a bit of a moral dilemma here. I think I
might have preferred to do exactly what you did in the end, all things
considered..
Have you ever noticed how many people can look straight @ you, or,
should I say all the way through you, when you are shaking cat shaped
tins @ people? I used to find it amazing how many people chose to look
right through me when I did that too. It really used to aggravate me,
which is why I decided to start fostering rather than tin rattling. I
felt that I was on the verge of making the Cat Protection League look
rather bad, by acting inappropriately There is nothing like shaking a
person & saying "Hello, I exist & you don't have to be so rude..All
you have to do is smile and say no thank you"...if you know what I
mean? Mind you, when people shove notes into the tin, it does give you
a lift, doesn't it?
Of course you do, you were tin shaking today. Never mind, an itchy
peeling nose is quite swift to overcome & the cats will appreciate
your efforts even if the chavy no ones were ghastly to put up
with.....

Yes, prevention is far better than consequences, especially if you can
see it from the cats point of view, rather than the missing sock one!
I honestly had to physically lock the lock on the bathroom door, with
a butter knife to twist the lock, just to stop Tara from getting in
the bathroom & knocking the basket over helping herself to a tasty
manky sock or two. I have no idea why she felt the need to eat boys
cheesy sock's, but then again, who knows why a dog or cat would relish
one in the first place? Yuckkyyyy!!!!

I must admit, when the kids were that age, they thought it was
hilarious to see her chomping on one, but as you say, it had to stop
before one became logged somewhere very unsavoury.........
It did teach the kids to be tidy in the end, but it took many loud
words from She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed before we got there

> bless my little princess Tegan; she was as daft as a box of frogs and
> a million times as lovely. I hope she is happy and having fun up there
> on the other side of the rainbow bridge, my little smudgy sweetheart.

This all sounds very familiar to Ringo, who will eat anything that
isn't bolted down, or locked inside cupboards. I think the worst
situation he has got himself into so far, has to be eating Jack's home
work on his french essay. I wrote him a letter to verify this was in
fact the truth...However, I don't think the teacher actually believed
me. I can understand why, but it was the truth. I could hear the "yeah
right, whatever", sound in her voice, so the fol owing day, I sent the
rest in with him, for her consideration, all 10 scratched lines of
what was left of it. I suppose there must be parents that do try
pulling fast ones? not I though..If he hasn't done it, then I simply
won't sign his organiser & he can do it on Wednesday afternoons during
detention. Simple really. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind,
don't you?

Tegan sounded perfect. there is no cat like your first love, is there?
Was she a Tortie by any chance?
Sheelagh

Sherry
July 15th 07, 04:28 AM
On Jul 14, 8:03 am, "Sheelagh >o<" >
wrote:
> On 13 Jul, 00:18, "cybercat" > wrote:
>

> > "Sherry" > wrote \
>
> > > Good luck with that. I hope it works. Nothing worked with Yoda and
> > > over the years I got tired of
> > > fussing with him. (read: he won). The only reason I leave the towel
> > > on the floor is that I was afraid
> > > if I took up the little bathroom rugs, and stopped leaving anything on
> > > the floor, he'd graduate to the
> > > carpet. It's not hard to toss a towel in the wash. It's harder to deal
> > > with soiled carpeting.
>
> > I think the towel is ingenious. You're smart enough to know
> > that it never pays to have a battle of wills with a cat. They are
> > too slippery and too sneaky, so much pee and so many good
> > places to put it. ;)
>
> > --
> > I think the towel is ingenious. You're smart enough to know
> > that it never pays to have a battle of wills with a cat. They are
> > too slippery and too sneaky, so much pee and so many good
> > places to put it. ;)
>
> One other thing you might want to consider is putting a cheap bathroom
> mat down (with rubber underside), underneath the towel you are talking
> about. This way, @ least if you can't win the battle of Will's, you
> can @ least prevent it from smelling of cat pee....
>
> Battle of wills with cats are a complete waste of time. they win every
> single time, Lol
> Sheelagh- Hide quoted text -

I used to do that. But after repeated washings, the fuzz comes off,
and the rubber
backing disintegrates and I didn't want to screw up the washer.
You'd be surprised how little there is to clean up. The towel soaks up
most, and
a quick wipe of the tile with Lysol cleaner (brown bottle Lysol), and
there's been no
odor problem at all.
There's a stack of worn-out towels in the bathroom drawer just for
this purpose :-)
And YES! Never get into a battle of wills with a cat. You'll make
yourself crazy.

Sherry

cybercat
July 15th 07, 04:53 AM
"Sherry" > wrote
> And YES! Never get into a battle of wills with a cat. You'll make
> yourself crazy.

And that is not what you want to remember when they are gone--as
they always are--way too soon.

Sherry
July 15th 07, 06:31 AM
On Jul 14, 10:53 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote
>
> > And YES! Never get into a battle of wills with a cat. You'll make
> > yourself crazy.
>
> And that is not what you want to remember when they are gone--as
> they always are--way too soon.

Oh yes. When they're gone, none of us are going to be thinking, "Gosh,
wish the guest bathroom had smelled nicer."
Just like with kids. Never sweat the small stuff. In the big scheme of
things,
not a fraction of it really matters.

Sherry

bookie
July 16th 07, 02:50 PM
On 15 Jul, 03:32, "Sheelagh >o<" >
wrote:
> [...]
> isn't bolted down, or locked inside cupboards. I think the worst
> situation he has got himself into so far, has to be eating Jack's home
> work on his french essay. I wrote him a letter to verify this was in
> fact the truth...However, I don't think the teacher actually believed
> me. I can understand why, but it was the truth. I could hear the "yeah
> right, whatever", sound in her voice, so the fol owing day, I sent the
> rest in with him, for her consideration, all 10 scratched lines of
> what was left of it. I suppose there must be parents that do try
> pulling fast ones? not I though..If he hasn't done it, then I simply
> won't sign his organiser & he can do it on Wednesday afternoons during
> detention. Simple really. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind,
> don't you?
>
> Tegan sounded perfect. there is no cat like your first love, is there?

yes tegan was a dark tortie puss, a little rascal, a complete lovebug,
my little chocolate sundgey angel, and there will never be another
like her, ever.
she has the same colourings as terri our new houseguest, but plare
roudn the face, with a ginger stripe down her nose and a ginger blaze
on her chest.Tegan was always up for cuddles and ufss and headbutts
and loves and hugs and kisses, she had been foudn abandoned by the
side of the road in brighton where we mived at the time with her
siblings at quite a young age, not sure what happened exactly, but
cats rescue took them all in and we got tegan (which is a welsh name
meanign 'beautiful' cos she was very beautiful)

it is frustrating when peolpe walk by you when you are standing there
with the tin, especially when it is people you know (people from my
own rowing club who certainly have money to burn) so I gave them dirty
looks for walking on by. still over the whole we made 490 I think
which ain't bad.
when I get my cd-drive to work i will upload more pictures of tegan
onto my picasa site and you can see how gorgeous she was

bookie

Sheelagh >o
July 16th 07, 08:10 PM
On 16 Jul, 14:50, bookie > wrote:
> [...]
> siblings at quite a young age, not sure what happened exactly, but
> cats rescue took them all in and we got tegan (which is a welsh name
> meanign 'beautiful' cos she was very beautiful)
>
> it is frustrating when peolpe walk by you when you are standing there
> with the tin, especially when it is people you know (people from my
> own rowing club who certainly have money to burn) so I gave them dirty
> looks for walking on by. still over the whole we made 490 I think
> which ain't bad.
> when I get my cd-drive to work i will upload more pictures of tegan
> onto my picasa site and you can see how gorgeous she was
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

> it is frustrating when people walk by you when you are standing there
> with the tin, especially when it is people you know (people from my
> own rowing club who certainly have money to burn) so I gave them dirty

Meanies!! Filthy looks were in order there then...especially if they
knew you too
What goes around, comes around. I very much believe in Kama.

I suppose that I could look @ it from a sympathetic point of view,
which is that you simply are not aware of how terrible something is,
until it happens to you. Then you realise & you fall over yourself to
try & help.....
OR................
The other horrendous reason that a lot of people won't give even their
loose change to a tin shaker in the middle of the high street, is
because there are some real mingers out there that pose in name of
lots of well worthy causes, but unfortunately they are simply robbing
people blind.

As you already know, to shake tins @ people in the High street, you
need to have to get a permit from your local council. If you ever feel
iffy about anyone shaking one @ you, all you have to do is to ask to
see that permit issued to the charity, to the relevant charity, to be
sure they are not simply pocketing the lot!#@!!??!#@?

I found this one out the hard way after putting a 10er in a tin that
claimed to be collecting on behalf of the local speacial care baby
unit (SCBU) in Huntingdon @ the same time as Tilly was being cared for
there. She was born *very prematurely* @ 26/40 weeks -14 weeks early @
only 870grams!! Not even as big as a bag of sugar
( her head was the same size as a tennis ball, but perfect in every
other way though.)
I was gobsmacked not to mention angry find that there was no
permission issued to collect on their behalf, so the filthy idiots
were simply pocketing the lot.
BAD, Isn't it?

still over the whole we made 490 I think
> which ain't bad.

Not bad????
I think that was excellent picking Bookie!!
Not good....!??!!

Absolutely brilliant actually.
Congratulations to all of you who stood the pitch that day. well worth
a peeling nose & sore Tootsie's.

Bad... is when you stand outside Asda *All day* in the pouring rain &
a gale force 8 wind and walk away with 30- Honestly, Lol ;o)

> when I get my cd-drive to work i will upload more pictures of tegan
> onto my picasa site and you can see how gorgeous she was

Thank you. I would like that very much indeed. I am aware that you
have a super soft spot for torties, & always have done. I guess this
must be the reason why?
Can't blame you though as they really are wonderful looking cats,
aren't they!!

Sheelagh >"o"<

bookie
July 17th 07, 01:35 AM

> Thank you. I would like that very much indeed. I am aware that you
> have a super soft spot for torties, & always have done. I guess this
> must be the reason why?
> Can't blame you though as they really are wonderful looking cats,
> aren't they!!
>
> Sheelagh >"o"<

they are also completely mad, which is part of the attarction for me
too