PDA

View Full Version : Kitties and Company


cybercat
July 10th 07, 11:57 PM
I had a houseguest come visit for a week, and it is always the same old
thing--this wonderful little tabby who does all these cute things turned
into a neurotic little hider!

he was here for about a week, and toward the end of the week Gracie came out
of
hiding as we sat in my office. We ignored her completely, and she began
rubbing on my leg. I continued talking to him, absently petting her but not
looking at her. She left, came back in, and announced her presence with a
meow! Then she sprawled under the work table and gazed at my friend.

But the next day, she was hiding again.

Our other cat comes right up to everyone, and she also was raised in a
one-cat, quiet household.

Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?

mariib via CatKB.com
July 11th 07, 02:12 AM
cybercat wrote:
>I had a houseguest come visit for a week, and it is always the same old
>thing--this wonderful little tabby who does all these cute things turned
>into a neurotic little hider!
>
>he was here for about a week, and toward the end of the week Gracie came out
>of
>hiding as we sat in my office. We ignored her completely, and she began
>rubbing on my leg. I continued talking to him, absently petting her but not
>looking at her. She left, came back in, and announced her presence with a
>meow! Then she sprawled under the work table and gazed at my friend.
>
>But the next day, she was hiding again.
>
>Our other cat comes right up to everyone, and she also was raised in a
>one-cat, quiet household.
>
>Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?

My tuxie Little Devil *loves* people - anybody & everybody & as soon as he
hears the door or doorbell goes racing to it to be there to greet whoever's
coming in. No matter who or how many people are here visiting, he's right
there, in their face, hanging around, following the newcomers whereever they
go. On the other hand, Coco, hears the same door or doorbell & makes a
beeline for a cupboard or, if he's got time, upstairs under a bed. If there's
a crowd, Coco won't re-appear until everyone's gone. If just 1 or 2 visitors,
he'll come out, cautiously after awhile. Coco wasn't like this the 1st 2
years we had him - he was also very friendly - until one time we went on
holidays & left the youngest of our boys to look after the (then) 3 cats. I
don't know what my son did to him - I think he shouted & yelled & who knows
what else a lot thinking he was "protecting" Tigra who was quite old from ?? -
but we noticed right away on our return Coco had become very frightened
whenever the doorbell or front door opened. We've never allowed this son to
do any feeding or looking after cats since then when we go on holidays.
M.

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

Cheryl
July 11th 07, 02:25 AM
On Tue 10 Jul 2007 06:57:46p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

<snip>
> Our other cat comes right up to everyone, and she also was
> raised in a one-cat, quiet household.
>
> Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?

Shamrock loves everyone - doesn't matter what they're here for. He
loves to supervise people who are working for me. Especially if
they have to use a flashlight. I have to watch him because he
escaped one time through the front door that a worker didn't shut
all the way.

Rhett and Scarlett are littermates and came to me at the same time,
at about 9 weeks old. Rhett is totally skittish, and won't show his
face for anyone, and won't come out for hours after company leaves.
Scarlett will hide at first, but she eventually comes out to see
who's here. They both had the same experiences growing up, so I
don't know why they are so totally different. I guess it's like
people are.

Bonnie was feral, and is still impossible to pick up, but she's
made incredible strides at becoming a house cat. I remember one
time when she was here with me less than a year, and a friend came
over to watch movies and when she peaked to see what we were doing,
he ignored her. She was so brave as to approach him and let him
pet her. All because he completely ignored her. She's never acted
like that with anyone since. My mom stayed at my house for a week
one time (before Scarlett and Rhett) and Bonnie eventually came out
of hiding for her. The way Bonnie acts sometimes, I suspect that if
she'd never been feral she would have been a very people-social
cat. I think the feral part is just too ingrained in her at this
point. After 4 years, I doubt she's going to open up much more.

--
Cheryl

jmagerl[_2_]
July 11th 07, 03:54 AM
Mr. Bonkers is a guard cat. No hiding for him. The doorbell rings and he's
right there waiting to claw anybody that invades his territory. A good sniff
and if he doesn't like you, your shredded. We have a "beware of guard cat"
sign hanging up and everybody laughs... until they get shredded. He's as
gentle as they come with us.

"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>I had a houseguest come visit for a week, and it is always the same old
> thing--this wonderful little tabby who does all these cute things turned
> into a neurotic little hider!
>
> he was here for about a week, and toward the end of the week Gracie came
> out of
> hiding as we sat in my office. We ignored her completely, and she began
> rubbing on my leg. I continued talking to him, absently petting her but
> not
> looking at her. She left, came back in, and announced her presence with a
> meow! Then she sprawled under the work table and gazed at my friend.
>
> But the next day, she was hiding again.
>
> Our other cat comes right up to everyone, and she also was raised in a
> one-cat, quiet household.
>
> Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?
>
>
>

Fred G. Mackey[_2_]
July 11th 07, 07:20 AM
cybercat wrote:
> I had a houseguest come visit for a week, and it is always the same old
> thing--this wonderful little tabby who does all these cute things turned
> into a neurotic little hider!
>
> he was here for about a week, and toward the end of the week Gracie came out
> of
> hiding as we sat in my office. We ignored her completely, and she began
> rubbing on my leg. I continued talking to him, absently petting her but not
> looking at her. She left, came back in, and announced her presence with a
> meow! Then she sprawled under the work table and gazed at my friend.
>
> But the next day, she was hiding again.
>
> Our other cat comes right up to everyone, and she also was raised in a
> one-cat, quiet household.
>
> Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?
>
>


This begs the question - do you consider your cats to be furniture?

Or do you consider them to be entertainment?

Or do you consider them to be part of your family?

Never mind - you already answered the questions with your post.

cybercat
July 11th 07, 07:33 AM
"Fred G. Mackey" > wrote in message
. ..
> cybercat wrote:
>> I had a houseguest come visit for a week, and it is always the same old
>> thing--this wonderful little tabby who does all these cute things turned
>> into a neurotic little hider!
>>
>> he was here for about a week, and toward the end of the week Gracie came
>> out of
>> hiding as we sat in my office. We ignored her completely, and she began
>> rubbing on my leg. I continued talking to him, absently petting her but
>> not
>> looking at her. She left, came back in, and announced her presence with a
>> meow! Then she sprawled under the work table and gazed at my friend.
>>
>> But the next day, she was hiding again.
>>
>> Our other cat comes right up to everyone, and she also was raised in a
>> one-cat, quiet household.
>>
>> Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?
>>
>>
>
>
> This begs the question - do you consider your cats to be furniture?
>
> Or do you consider them to be entertainment?
>
> Or do you consider them to be part of your family?
>
> Never mind - you already answered the questions with your post.
>
>

I consider you, and idiots like you, to be depressing. **** off, Fred. Go
play with your itty bitty teeny weeny dick. It's a revolting job but someone
should do it, it might improve your personality.

HTH.




--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

cybercat
July 11th 07, 03:57 PM
"mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote
>>Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?
>
> My tuxie Little Devil *loves* people - anybody & everybody & as soon as he
> hears the door or doorbell goes racing to it to be there to greet
> whoever's
> coming in.

That is so precious! Our Boo runs and hides when the doorbell rings, but
comes out to see the visitors shortly thereafter. It is as though it is the
bell
that scares her, not the people. She is a tuxedo too!

>No matter who or how many people are here visiting, he's right
> there, in their face, hanging around, following the newcomers whereever
> they
> go. On the other hand, Coco, hears the same door or doorbell & makes a
> beeline for a cupboard or, if he's got time, upstairs under a bed. If
> there's
> a crowd, Coco won't re-appear until everyone's gone.

Isn't it interesting how different they are, how each is a unique
individual?


Were yours raised from kittens, in the same place?




--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

cybercat
July 11th 07, 04:00 PM
"jmagerl" > wrote in message
t...
> Mr. Bonkers is a guard cat. No hiding for him. The doorbell rings and he's
> right there waiting to claw anybody that invades his territory. A good
> sniff and if he doesn't like you, your shredded. We have a "beware of
> guard cat" sign hanging up and everybody laughs... until they get
> shredded. He's as gentle as they come with us.
>

Awww! One time Gracie seemed to guard me when someone knocked on the
door in an angry way. Instead of fleeing as she normally would at a loud
noise,
she came and planted herself between me and the door. All vicious 7 pounds
of
her! Mr. Bonkers sounds very sweet. Your personal watchcat!



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

cybercat
July 11th 07, 04:13 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote
>
> Shamrock loves everyone - doesn't matter what they're here for. He
> loves to supervise people who are working for me. Especially if
> they have to use a flashlight. I have to watch him because he
> escaped one time through the front door that a worker didn't shut
> all the way.

Gracie used to escape, until I scared her to death shrieking
and crying the last time she ran out the front door. (We live
on a residential street that has nonetheless become very busy
with people cutting through to avoid traffic on the larger roads,
and I just knew she was going to get creamed.) I yelled "Gracie
NOOOO" and was in tears, and she circled the shrubbery and
ran right back in the front door to me with a look of utter alarm.
Since then she has never tried it! That's when I knew she loved
me. :)

>
> Rhett and Scarlett are littermates and came to me at the same time,
> at about 9 weeks old. Rhett is totally skittish, and won't show his
> face for anyone, and won't come out for hours after company leaves.
> Scarlett will hide at first, but she eventually comes out to see
> who's here. They both had the same experiences growing up, so I
> don't know why they are so totally different. I guess it's like
> people are.

I think it is, and I don't know why that surprises me.

>
> Bonnie was feral, and is still impossible to pick up, but she's
> made incredible strides at becoming a house cat. I remember one
> time when she was here with me less than a year, and a friend came
> over to watch movies and when she peaked to see what we were doing,
> he ignored her.

This is how Gracie was with my friend.

She was so brave as to approach him and let him
> pet her. All because he completely ignored her. She's never acted
> like that with anyone since. My mom stayed at my house for a week
> one time (before Scarlett and Rhett) and Bonnie eventually came out
> of hiding for her. The way Bonnie acts sometimes, I suspect that if
> she'd never been feral she would have been a very people-social
> cat. I think the feral part is just too ingrained in her at this
> point. After 4 years, I doubt she's going to open up much more.
>

You know, Cheryl, I think she might continue to open up. You have
had cats who grew old, and if they were like mine, they continued
to change and develop in their responses to you and the other people
around them. Gracie has now been here six years come November,
and she just recently began to feel comfortable enough to express
displeasure when I snatch her up to maul her with love, hahaha! Like
many cats, she usually just wants to come rub on me, or maybe lie
down flush with me in bed and be petted WHEN SHE IS IN THE
MOOD, but she does not want to be snatched up and held like a
baby. I know this but sometimes I just cannot help myself and I do
it. Until recently, she might wiggle but she would not make a sound.
Now she complains in that whiny meow until I put her down. I better
quit doing this, or claws might just come next!

She has always been one of those heartrendingly grateful rescues,
you know? So polite. She gets so agitated when she hurls in the
middle of the night, she comes to me and cries plaintively until
I get up and clean it up. It's like, "ooo, I made a mess but please
keep me!" And the little "query" cries she makes when she
approaches me to be petted in bed are so precious. It's like she's
saying, "is this a good time?" And she creeps up to see if I am
sleeping, and sometimes creeps away if I don't open my eyes and
greet her.

Anyway, Bonnie might surprise you. Regardless, I know she is a
happy, lucky girl, and she knows you love her. I wish they could all
have such loving homes.




--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

PawsForThought
July 11th 07, 05:49 PM
On Jul 10, 6:57 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?

My cats love company. As soon as someone rings the bell, my Mickey
runs for the door to see who it is. Then he proceeds to show off for
whoever it is by running around like a maniac, or asking them to give
him a belly rub. Meesha is more shy, but she still likes to check out
company. Now my last cat was a hider. In fact whenever we went out
of town and had someone come in to care for her, she would hiss at
them. Didn't make it easy to find a cat sitter, lol

cybercat
July 11th 07, 06:37 PM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 10, 6:57 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?
>
> My cats love company. As soon as someone rings the bell, my Mickey
> runs for the door to see who it is. Then he proceeds to show off for
> whoever it is by running around like a maniac, or asking them to give
> him a belly rub. Meesha is more shy, but she still likes to check out
> company. Now my last cat was a hider. In fact whenever we went out
> of town and had someone come in to care for her, she would hiss at
> them. Didn't make it easy to find a cat sitter, lol
>

I'm curious, do you have company a lot? Like, say, three times or more
most weeks? We don't, and I think this might be why my babies are so
skittish.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

mariib via CatKB.com
July 11th 07, 10:48 PM
cybercat wrote:
>>>Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?
>>
>> My tuxie Little Devil *loves* people - anybody & everybody & as soon as he
>> hears the door or doorbell goes racing to it to be there to greet
>> whoever's
>> coming in.
>
>That is so precious! Our Boo runs and hides when the doorbell rings, but
>comes out to see the visitors shortly thereafter. It is as though it is the
>bell
>that scares her, not the people. She is a tuxedo too!
>
>>No matter who or how many people are here visiting, he's right
>> there, in their face, hanging around, following the newcomers whereever
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>> there's
>> a crowd, Coco won't re-appear until everyone's gone.
>
>Isn't it interesting how different they are, how each is a unique
>individual?
>
>Were yours raised from kittens, in the same place?

Not at all - I got Coco from one of the emergency clinics in the city in 2002
when he was about 6-8 months old. According to their records, this was the
3rd time he'd been abandoned - adopted twice from the local Humane Society &
returned to them, then adopted a 3rd time & dumped at this emergency clinic.
He'd been there for 3 months, with zero interest from anyone in adopting him
& they were planning to start using him as a blood donor for clinic surgeries.
He's a very handsome boy with a sweet gentle personality. Why no one wanted
to keep him I don't know because he has no bad habits. His coloring is a
little unusual - if he was black & white he'd be called a tuxedo but he's
light tan & white (or blonde & white, or brown & white, sometimes a light
orange & white - as you see I have difficulty describing his color). Coco
lived peacefully here with Tigra, then 16-1/2 years old for 2 years until mid-
August 04 when Tigra began failing & I was thinking about euthanasia for her.
Here's a couple pictures of Coco in the webshots album Coco, Little Devil &
Tigra (RB) http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2274981810050028271SyjMIL or
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2368565190050028271lNvHjA

On a rainy Saturday afternoon at the end of Aug 04, I was picking up
medication for Tigra from the vet & heard a huge racket which they told me
was from a tiny kitten that had been left in a broken box in the parking lot
overnight in the rain. I went to take a look & lost my heart to a black &
white whirling spitfire, Little Devil who wouldn't stay quietly in a cage -
they had him loose in a small room in the back. I brought him home a week
later, kept him separated for a week or so until it became evident that Coco
was very curious & interested so we integrated the cats. Tigra was
rejuvenated & she was fairly healthy another year until Sept 05 when she went
into a rapid deterioration & was put to sleep. Little Devil is still constant
trouble & fun, excitable, very talkative, always in constant motion & into
everything. His looks & personality sound similar to PawsForThought's Mickey.
Here's a picture of him in the same album:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2807284770050028271sBAeGe or
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2340096280050028271uaYpTs

The 2 get along pretty well most of the time, not as close as my previous
cats but they keep each other company.
M.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200707/1

judas you
July 11th 07, 10:58 PM
On Jul 11, 9:48 pm, "mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The 2 get along pretty well most of the time, not as close as my previous
> cats but they keep each other company.
> M.

aww, that's just terrible about the little tuxedo cat.
That's a pretty at in the pic, he's real lucky.

Barry

PawsForThought
July 12th 07, 06:04 PM
On Jul 11, 1:37 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "PawsForThought" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > On Jul 10, 6:57 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> >> Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?
>
> > My cats love company. As soon as someone rings the bell, my Mickey
> > runs for the door to see who it is. Then he proceeds to show off for
> > whoever it is by running around like a maniac, or asking them to give
> > him a belly rub. Meesha is more shy, but she still likes to check out
> > company. Now my last cat was a hider. In fact whenever we went out
> > of town and had someone come in to care for her, she would hiss at
> > them. Didn't make it easy to find a cat sitter, lol
>
> I'm curious, do you have company a lot? Like, say, three times or more
> most weeks? We don't, and I think this might be why my babies are so
> skittish.

No, not that often and sometimes I think maybe that's why they're the
way they are. Maybe your cats are just being territorial and they
don't like when someone comes into their territory.

PawsForThought
July 12th 07, 06:10 PM
On Jul 11, 5:48 pm, "mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
Little Devil is still constant
> trouble & fun, excitable, very talkative, always in constant motion & into
> everything. His looks & personality sound similar to PawsForThought's Mickey.
> Here's a picture of him in the same album:http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2807284770050028271sBAeGeorhttp://pets.webshots.com/photo/2340096280050028271uaYpTs

Your kitties are adorable! I can't believe how much your Little Devil
looks like my Mickey, including the white mustache. I think they must
be long distance brothers for sure:

http://pets.webshots.com/album/188164456EzowMi

cybercat
July 12th 07, 09:39 PM
"PawsForThought" > wrote
>> I'm curious, do you have company a lot? Like, say, three times or more
>> most weeks? We don't, and I think this might be why my babies are so
>> skittish.
>
> No, not that often and sometimes I think maybe that's why they're the
> way they are. Maybe your cats are just being territorial and they
> don't like when someone comes into their territory.
>

Noo! My cats are being little scaredy cats! Little weenies!

lol

They are major drama queens.

I guess they really do have widely differing personalities.

My comment was based on the idea that things that are out of the ordinary
might make cats nervous, whereas if they are more used to them they would
not be. If your cats love company but you, like we, seldom have it, then the
kitties themselves must just react to it differently.

Gracie was hilarious when my company left. She was all sprawled out in the
middle of whatever room I was in, like, "yessss, this is the life, no aliens
around and I am the center of attention!) :) Boo was just like, business as
usual. Demand food, get food, sleep it off, pee on the rug, hahaha!




--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Sheelagh >o
July 14th 07, 02:12 PM
On 10 Jul, 23:57, "cybercat" > wrote:
> I had a houseguest come visit for a week, and it is always the same old
> thing--this wonderful little tabby who does all these cute things turned
> into a neurotic little hider!
>
> he was here for about a week, and toward the end of the week Gracie came out
> of
> hiding as we sat in my office. We ignored her completely, and she began
> rubbing on my leg. I continued talking to him, absently petting her but not
> looking at her. She left, came back in, and announced her presence with a
> meow! Then she sprawled under the work table and gazed at my friend.
>
> But the next day, she was hiding again.
>
> Our other cat comes right up to everyone, and she also was raised in a
> one-cat, quiet household.
>
> Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?

Yes, especially Lilly.

She will go to the guest & plonk herself down on their lap, which she
refuses to do with anyone here, unless *she feels like it*, ( or you
have white chocolate of course!)

It is as though she is gloating @ all of us when she does this. you
can see the smirk under those huge white whiskers,

Sheelagh

PawsForThought
July 16th 07, 01:41 AM
On Jul 12, 4:39 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "PawsForThought" > wrote
>
> >> I'm curious, do you have company a lot? Like, say, three times or more
> >> most weeks? We don't, and I think this might be why my babies are so
> >> skittish.
>
> > No, not that often and sometimes I think maybe that's why they're the
> > way they are. Maybe your cats are just being territorial and they
> > don't like when someone comes into their territory.
>
> Noo! My cats are being little scaredy cats! Little weenies!

ROFL!!!

> My comment was based on the idea that things that are out of the ordinary
> might make cats nervous, whereas if they are more used to them they would
> not be. If your cats love company but you, like we, seldom have it, then the
> kitties themselves must just react to it differently.

Yeah, these cats are definitely different than ones I've had in the
past, especially Mickey. I think he was a dog in a previous life.

> Gracie was hilarious when my company left. She was all sprawled out in the
> middle of whatever room I was in, like, "yessss, this is the life, no aliens
> around and I am the center of attention!) :) Boo was just like, business as
> usual. Demand food, get food, sleep it off, pee on the rug, hahaha!

Awww :) LOL