PDA

View Full Version : three cats or more?

oldhickory
July 12th 07, 04:05 AM
I've read some previous postings and info on the web about the number of
cats in a household and the dynamics between them.

We adopted two girls, about 6 months apart, in 2003. The first was about
18-24 month when we got her in Jan. A few months later our eldest died from
kidney failure. The second adoptee was a teeny-tiny kitten when we got her
in July.

A year and a half ago (Jan 2006) we found an orphan on our doorstep and
rescued her. She and our youngest hit it off right away and were having a
blast smacking the stuffing out of each other and rolling and playing and
running up and down the hall for many of their waking hours and we did not
feel we could separate them so we kept her instead of adopting her out.

The two older ones sleep together and clean each other but the youngest gets
left out. It may be her fault--I have seen her fight them off sometimes
when they do try to pin her down for a cleaning--but I noticed she does not
get the cuddly nap time with them that they do with each other. I try to
cuddle her more and wipe her down with a warm damp washcloth once in a
while, but I'm wondering if we need to get her a "pet" of her own. Since
she's the youngest, I wondered if a young cat or kitten, younger than her,
would help her have a better social life (and get bathed). Or will she just
keep up her stubbornness (she's the only cat I've ever had who growls. She
was growling quite loudly out the front window today and I looked out to see
the UPS Man next door. Sheesh.

I have allergies so we've never had this many kitties (I'm sort of holding
my own with the asthma right now) but I'm wondering if 3 is enough for
everyone to function well.

Okay, so having a fourth would be fun for us, too, but really, my primary
concern is the baby having more companionship.

Anyway, experienced input/feedback is appreciated.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

mariib via CatKB.com
July 12th 07, 05:01 AM
oldhickory wrote:
>I've read some previous postings and info on the web about the number of
>cats in a household and the dynamics between them.
>
>We adopted two girls, about 6 months apart, in 2003. The first was about
>18-24 month when we got her in Jan. A few months later our eldest died from
>kidney failure. The second adoptee was a teeny-tiny kitten when we got her
>in July.
>
>A year and a half ago (Jan 2006) we found an orphan on our doorstep and
>rescued her. She and our youngest hit it off right away and were having a
>blast smacking the stuffing out of each other and rolling and playing and
>running up and down the hall for many of their waking hours and we did not
>feel we could separate them so we kept her instead of adopting her out.
>
>The two older ones sleep together and clean each other but the youngest gets
>left out. It may be her fault--I have seen her fight them off sometimes
>when they do try to pin her down for a cleaning--but I noticed she does not
>get the cuddly nap time with them that they do with each other. I try to
>cuddle her more and wipe her down with a warm damp washcloth once in a
>while, but I'm wondering if we need to get her a "pet" of her own. Since
>she's the youngest, I wondered if a young cat or kitten, younger than her,
>would help her have a better social life (and get bathed). Or will she just
>keep up her stubbornness (she's the only cat I've ever had who growls. She
>was growling quite loudly out the front window today and I looked out to see
>the UPS Man next door. Sheesh.
>
>I have allergies so we've never had this many kitties (I'm sort of holding
>my own with the asthma right now) but I'm wondering if 3 is enough for
>everyone to function well.
>
>Okay, so having a fourth would be fun for us, too, but really, my primary
>concern is the baby having more companionship.
>
>Anyway, experienced input/feedback is appreciated.

I think you'll be really pushing your luck re your health if you get a 4th
cat. You say you're sort of holding your own, obviously you're having some
symptoms - ? coughing, shortness of breath, tightening feeling in your chest,
wheezing. I've had cats for 35 years - usually 2 at a time, sometimes 3 &
usually short-haired cats & I also have asthma which has gotten worse since I
got my tuxedo boy almost 3 years ago as a kitten & after about 1-1/2 years
his hair grew in length from short-haired to almost long-haired now.
M.

roachies shuffle
July 12th 07, 10:12 PM
On Jul 12, 4:01 am, "mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think you'll be really pushing your luck re your health if you get a 4th
> cat. You say you're sort of holding your own, obviously you're having some
> symptoms - ? coughing, shortness of breath, tightening feeling in your chest,
> wheezing. I've had cats for 35 years - usually 2 at a time, sometimes 3 &
> usually short-haired cats & I also have asthma which has gotten worse since I
> got my tuxedo boy almost 3 years ago as a kitten & after about 1-1/2 years
> his hair grew in length from short-haired to almost long-haired now.
> M.

this is amazing! you do so much, it makes me feel guilty

we need better legislation, the laws are firm enough if you ask me, no
point in spending money there.

a friend of mine lives in Mehico, you cannot imagine the typical
attitude towards animals there. Im not trying to be a hate monger, my
point is, they need educated.
They've just never had a tidy black cat jump onto the back of a narrow
chair and knead your shoulders till you give them that good food
stuff.

I don't have money for that, but I like how you do what you can, I
work all the time, Im in and out, it's pretty routine, the few times I
have visited my local shelter, JUST to see the kittens and dogs, they
seemed well stocked for personell

Im sure I could help, but I want to help in other ways, like
donations, or researching laws, and letting my little lite shine, in
my corner of the world.

Keep us posted! where is pics of shildren

mariib via CatKB.com
July 13th 07, 07:06 AM
roachies shuffle wrote:
>> I think you'll be really pushing your luck re your health if you get a 4th
>> cat. You say you're sort of holding your own, obviously you're having some
>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>> his hair grew in length from short-haired to almost long-haired now.
>> M.
>
>this is amazing! you do so much, it makes me feel guilty
>
>I don't have money for that, but I like how you do what you can, I
>work all the time, Im in and out, it's pretty routine, the few times I
>have visited my local shelter, JUST to see the kittens and dogs, they
>seemed well stocked for personell
>
>Im sure I could help, but I want to help in other ways, like
>donations, or researching laws, and letting my little lite shine, in
>my corner of the world.
>
>Keep us posted! where is pics of shildren

Well, well ..... I looked over my shoulder & wondered "are you talking to me?
" And what did I say that's so amazing? What is it you think I do that really
isn't making you feel guilty? In any case, you write nice music & I've
enjoyed listening to some of your songs, got 8 or 9 on my drive. There's lots
of pictures of Coco & Little Devil on Webshots, as well as some of my past
kitties - Tommy, Whiskey, Tigra & Ginger. Here's a couple links to see:
Coco watching snowfall
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2899526130050028271LUyBkD
Little Devil http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2247394550050028271ujoXrR
Tigra http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2691385100050028271oypRjl
Ginger http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2230361730050028271ZmFHbU
M.

July 13th 07, 07:21 AM
"mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote
> http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2899526130050028271LUyBkD

The bobcat is so beautiful!! Just stretched out on the covered hot
tub!

mariib via CatKB.com
July 13th 07, 03:01 PM
cybercat wrote:
>> http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2899526130050028271LUyBkD
>
>The bobcat is so beautiful!! Just stretched out on the covered hot
>tub!

They are amazing to see when they're in your own backyard but it must be a
very precarious life for these cats - I looked up their lifespan & 1 source
says 2-5 yrs in the wild. These pictures aren't exactly from "the wild" & the
bobcats in these pics look rougher & leaner than those I've seen in different
zoos.

My son told me the previous owner had warned him to watch out for roving wild
pigs - javelinas - on the property & also snakes, so the first time he saw
the cats, he called me at an ungodly hour here, excited to tell me he was
emailing me something to see & BTW, what was it?
M.