PDA

View Full Version : birds.

WAWELDRAGON
July 12th 07, 10:16 AM
http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldragon5/BELLSANDKIM.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldragon5/KIMANDBELLA0002/page1.htm

I adopted these 2 cats in the last few years, I have had the
little female for 18 months, And the Tomcat for about 2 and a half
years. Neither used to bring prey home, and I was not aware
previously of any hunting. But suddenly, this last 2 months. They
frequently bring home either dead, or mutilated and struggling birds.
They have access to the outside only in daytime. They are both
neutered. I dont scold them, as its clear to me scolding the cat
only works if you catch them in the act and they associate the
scolding

Questions.

1. What can I do with struggling half dead suffering prey ? My
instrint is to learnn how to finish off such a bird. I have
previously taken birds to wildlife sanctuaries and it all ends with
the bird not making it. internal injuries etc.

2. PREVENTION. short of making the 2 into indoor cats, what about
collars with bells. I purchased 2 non flea collars that have a
little bell, There is a plastic stud fastener that is supposed to
quick release if the collar gets snagged. But It takes some force to
open it, and I think if the cats foot became trapped in it there
would be a problem. Eqaully,. if the smaller (female) cat got caught
somewhere, she might not have enough weight and power to fporce the
fasterner open. Also, I am concerned about any dermotogical
problems that enclosing the cats fur over the neck might promote.

Can anyone recommend a solution to my above problems ? Suggest
any products ? I am in the UK

Many thanks :)

Ted Davis
July 12th 07, 01:52 PM
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 02:16:49 -0700, WAWELDRAGON
> wrote:
>
>I adopted these 2 cats in the last few years, I have had the
>little female for 18 months, And the Tomcat for about 2 and a half
>years. Neither used to bring prey home, and I was not aware
>previously of any hunting. But suddenly, this last 2 months. They
>frequently bring home either dead, or mutilated and struggling birds.
>They have access to the outside only in daytime. They are both
>neutered. I dont scold them, as its clear to me scolding the cat
>only works if you catch them in the act and they associate the
>scolding
>
>Questions.
>
>1. What can I do with struggling half dead suffering prey ? My
>instrint is to learnn how to finish off such a bird. I have
>previously taken birds to wildlife sanctuaries and it all ends with
>the bird not making it. internal injuries etc.

I just let the cats deal with their prey, then clean up the mess.

>2. PREVENTION. short of making the 2 into indoor cats, what about
>collars with bells. I purchased 2 non flea collars that have a
>little bell, There is a plastic stud fastener that is supposed to
>quick release if the collar gets snagged. But It takes some force to
>open it, and I think if the cats foot became trapped in it there
>would be a problem. Eqaully,. if the smaller (female) cat got caught
>somewhere, she might not have enough weight and power to fporce the
>fasterner open. Also, I am concerned about any dermotogical
>problems that enclosing the cats fur over the neck might promote.
>
> Can anyone recommend a solution to my above problems ? Suggest
>any products ? I am in the UK

I have to collar three of my fifteen cats so I can tell them apart,
and they regularly lose their collars. I make my own safety collars
from half-inch wide elastic from the sewing section of a crafts shop -
I just staple the ends (overlapped) together with a standard office
type stapler. You should be able to get jingles from a different
section of the same type shop and tie them on with string.

I have had no skin problems with this - after all, the elastic is made
for use against human skin, and the collars are not very tight.

--
T.E.D. )
Remove "gearbox.maem." from address - that one is dead

July 12th 07, 02:11 PM
On 12 Jul, 10:16, WAWELDRAGON > wrote:
> http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldragon5/BELLSANDKIM.jpg
>
> http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldragon5/KIMANDBELLA0002/page1.htm
>
> I adopted these 2 cats in the last few years, I have had the
> little female for 18 months, And the Tomcat for about 2 and a half
> years. Neither used to bring prey home, and I was not aware
> previously of any hunting. But suddenly, this last 2 months. They
> frequently bring home either dead, or mutilated and struggling birds.
> They have access to the outside only in daytime. They are both
> neutered. I dont scold them, as its clear to me scolding the cat
> only works if you catch them in the act and they associate the
> scolding
>
> Questions.
>
> 1. What can I do with struggling half dead suffering prey ? My
> instrint is to learnn how to finish off such a bird. I have
> previously taken birds to wildlife sanctuaries and it all ends with
> the bird not making it. internal injuries etc.
>
> 2. PREVENTION. short of making the 2 into indoor cats, what about
> collars with bells. I purchased 2 non flea collars that have a
> little bell, There is a plastic stud fastener that is supposed to
> quick release if the collar gets snagged. But It takes some force to
> open it, and I think if the cats foot became trapped in it there
> would be a problem. Eqaully,. if the smaller (female) cat got caught
> somewhere, she might not have enough weight and power to fporce the
> fasterner open. Also, I am concerned about any dermotogical
> problems that enclosing the cats fur over the neck might promote.
>
> Can anyone recommend a solution to my above problems ? Suggest
> any products ? I am in the UK
>
> Many thanks :)

this is quite a normal thing for cats to do my 2 cats normally fetch
me dead mice and leave them at my back door which isnt very nice to
see and i once heard that cats do this as a way of fetching you a
present(strange gift)