PDA

View Full Version : New adopted cat will not come out of hiding what to do

Gregg
July 13th 07, 04:16 PM
Soon it will be 24 hours since I adopted a shy large Tabby cat from an
cat sheater, she has not come out to use the litter box or even eat
her food or drink water in her new home, what can I do, or is it the
waiting how much longer????

Matthew
July 13th 07, 04:56 PM
"Gregg" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Soon it will be 24 hours since I adopted a shy large Tabby cat from an
> cat sheater, she has not come out to use the litter box or even eat
> her food or drink water in her new home, what can I do, or is it the
> waiting how much longer????

Did you even bother to read the replies to your post from last night

mariib via CatKB.com
July 13th 07, 05:08 PM
Gregg wrote:
>Soon it will be 24 hours since I adopted a shy large Tabby cat from an
>cat sheater, she has not come out to use the litter box or even eat
>her food or drink water in her new home, what can I do, or is it the
>waiting how much longer????

Where have you put her? Gail already suggested last night that she be in a
room by herself with a litter box, water & food. I'd also put in a radio &
play music all the time, some towels &/or a blanket scrunched up to make a
nest, & any small stuffed animal you can find (without loose parts that can
be chewed off), anything safe stuffed with catnip, or sprinkle some catnip on
the towels or blanket. I've never used a Feliway diffuser but others here
have. She needs time! She will settle down but let her do it at her own pace.
Just make sure she has everything she needs wherever you've put her, & it
shouldn't be a cupboard. Matthew's suggestions follow from this - to go into
the room from time to time with treats & talk softly to her. Don't stare
directly in her eyes until she's used to you.

BTW, what did the shelter tell you about her personality? How long was she in
the shelter? Did she at all interact with staff, visitors or other cats there?

I'm sure she'll come around, & again, she needs time.
M.

Ryan Robbins
July 13th 07, 05:33 PM
"Gregg" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Soon it will be 24 hours since I adopted a shy large Tabby cat from an
> cat sheater, she has not come out to use the litter box or even eat
> her food or drink water in her new home, what can I do, or is it the
> waiting how much longer????

Twenty-fours is nothing. It's going to take awhile.

Gail
July 13th 07, 08:15 PM
She needs to be in a room by herself so she can feel comfortable and safe.
Gail
"Gregg" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Soon it will be 24 hours since I adopted a shy large Tabby cat from an
> cat sheater, she has not come out to use the litter box or even eat
> her food or drink water in her new home, what can I do, or is it the
> waiting how much longer????

mlbriggs
July 13th 07, 11:56 PM
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:16:46 +0000, Gregg wrote:

> Soon it will be 24 hours since I adopted a shy large Tabby cat from an cat
> sheater, she has not come out to use the litter box or even eat her food
> or drink water in her new home, what can I do, or is it the waiting how
> much longer????

It took a neighbors cat two weeks to come out of hiding. They left her
food, water and a litter box close to her hiding place and she did use it
when no one was around. One day, she just came out and jumped up on the
chair beside her husband -- she was out! MLB

bookie
July 14th 07, 12:52 AM
On 13 Jul, 17:33, "Ryan Robbins" > wrote:
> "Gregg" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Soon it will be 24 hours since I adopted a shy large Tabby cat from an
> > cat sheater, she has not come out to use the litter box or even eat
> > her food or drink water in her new home, what can I do, or is it the
> > waiting how much longer????
>
> Twenty-fours is nothing. It's going to take awhile.

that is exactly what I was going to say! terri was under the kitchen
sink for 3 days, and flossie stayed under my bed for 2 weeks until che
decided that it was safe to come out. as long as you are giving her
food and water wherever she is hiding then she will be alright and she
will come out in her own time. feliway may help.
DO NOT FORCE HER or you will make her even more nervous and shy of you

btw did you actually bother to read any of the advice people gave in
response to your previous post? doesn't sound like you did

bookie

bookie
July 15th 07, 12:07 AM
On 14 Jul, 01:51, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Fri 13 Jul 2007 07:52:01p, bookie wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
> > btw did you actually bother to read any of the advice people
> > gave in response to your previous post? doesn't sound like you
> > did
>
> They could have wanted to post this issue under a topic that
> reflected the real problem, not under a topic about having to say
> goodbye to an old friend.
>
> --
> Cheryl

yeah i know, i didn;t really touch on the bit about saying goodbye to
his best friend in the other thread, just tried to anmxser the
question about the new puss which i think is kind of urgent.
just hope he doesn;t try to drag her out from her hiding place which
may traumatise her too much, or just give up on her altogether which
woudl be awful.

I bet she is a beauty anyway and just rather scared, she just needs a
lot of love and a bit of tuna

bookie

Sheelagh >o
July 15th 07, 04:11 AM
On 13 Jul, 23:56, mlbriggs > wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:16:46 +0000, Gregg wrote:
> > Soon it will be 24 hours since I adopted a shy large Tabby cat from an cat
> > sheater, she has not come out to use the litter box or even eat her food
> > or drink water in her new home, what can I do, or is it the waiting how
> > much longer????
>
> It took a neighbors cat two weeks to come out of hiding. They left her
> food, water and a litter box close to her hiding place and she did use it
> when no one was around. One day, she just came out and jumped up on the
> chair beside her husband -- she was out! MLB

All very true.

I think that I replied to this thread too.It seems that this one
should have posted, purrs of comfort please, because the purrs for
advice are going unheeded.
I can understand the loss bit. It really hurts.

but, if you feel that you can move on & get another kitty to channel
all that contained love that requires channeling, you can't possibly
expect cat number 2 to duplicate cat1's place, manner or persona
either..

These are two seemingly very different cats.

Ignore her completely, allow her confined access to everything that
she needs (water, food & litter. )

When *she is ready*, she will come out and be Tabby for you. Have some
faith. We are all giving you mostly the same advise, so there are 2
ways that you can look @ this....
1: We are all wrong & giving you the wrong advice...
2: Try listening to us & have a little faith in both us, and her too.

This is no put down so please do not take offense, ok?

We are trying to help you, but you are too worride. Like a child,
Tabby will not allow herself to starve or become dehydrated, if she
knows that she has access to both food & water+litter tray, & that no
one will disturb her whilst she does need one or the other. Within
days, week or so @ the most, start to leave the confined space, door
open. Then she can chose to come to you. The less attention you
seemingly display, the easier her life will be

I read something that Cyber posted on one of the threads today that
puts me in mind of this post. you Can't make a cat do anything. You
can only encourage her to do it, otherwise she will end up very scared
of you.

Give it a go, please?

If you are **really concerned**, then ring the shelter that she came
from & ask what her prior background is. This might go some way to
explaining her current nervousness.
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck,
Sheelagh >"o"<