PDA

View Full Version : Pooping outside litter box

writer272002
July 13th 07, 10:35 PM
Hi, I'm new to this group and I apologize if this topic has already
been covered.

My 10-year-old cat has always pooped outside the litter box if it was
too dirty for her. So about a year ago, I got a self-cleaning litter
box. She always pees in the box, but if things aren't going her way --
my boyfriend is there too long, in her mind taking my attention away
from her; she doesn't get fed as much as she'd like; I'm sleeping late
-- she poops outside the box.

I have bought some enzyme cleaner to clean the spots, hoping it will
keep her from using the same spot again. No such luck.

I have two cats. I've done some research on this and seen the
recommendation that you establish separate litter boxes for them. But
I've had both of these cats since they were kittens and they have
ALWAYS shared a box.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise I've just
decided she is spoiled rotten and resigned myself to cleaning up poop.

Thank you.

bobblespin[_2_]
July 14th 07, 12:51 AM
writer272002 > wrote in
ps.com:

> Hi, I'm new to this group and I apologize if this topic has already
> been covered.
>
> My 10-year-old cat has always pooped outside the litter box if it was
> too dirty for her. So about a year ago, I got a self-cleaning litter
> box. She always pees in the box, but if things aren't going her way --
> my boyfriend is there too long, in her mind taking my attention away
> from her; she doesn't get fed as much as she'd like; I'm sleeping late
> -- she poops outside the box.

She can't talk, and that is how a lot of cats express feelings of anger,
anxiety, frustration, loneliness, etc. etc.

> I have bought some enzyme cleaner to clean the spots, hoping it will
> keep her from using the same spot again. No such luck.
>
> I have two cats. I've done some research on this and seen the
> recommendation that you establish separate litter boxes for them. But
> I've had both of these cats since they were kittens and they have
> ALWAYS shared a box.

Cats, like people, change as they get older. I would put another litter
box close to this one, and another one somewhere else in the house/apt
so that she will always have a clean box to go into.

I had a cat who refused to use the box if there was anything in it, so I
had to scoop as soon as he used it.

Anyway, it's worth a try.

Bobble

--
Have you hugged your cat today?

Sonny's web page --> http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html

Sheelagh >o
July 14th 07, 02:49 PM
On 13 Jul, 22:35, writer272002 > wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to this group and I apologize if this topic has already
> been covered.
>
> My 10-year-old cat has always pooped outside the litter box if it was
> too dirty for her. So about a year ago, I got a self-cleaning litter
> box. She always pees in the box, but if things aren't going her way --
> my boyfriend is there too long, in her mind taking my attention away
> from her; she doesn't get fed as much as she'd like; I'm sleeping late
> -- she poops outside the box.
>
> I have bought some enzyme cleaner to clean the spots, hoping it will
> keep her from using the same spot again. No such luck.
>
> I have two cats. I've done some research on this and seen the
> recommendation that you establish separate litter boxes for them. But
> I've had both of these cats since they were kittens and they have
> ALWAYS shared a box.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise I've just
> decided she is spoiled rotten and resigned myself to cleaning up poop.
>
> Thank you.

Does she always foul in the same space?
Sheelagh

writer272002
July 14th 07, 08:50 PM
Well, she has two "spots." But yeah, it's usually one of those two.

Thanks Bobbie. I might look into doing that. It's worth a shot.

Sheelagh >o
July 14th 07, 09:25 PM
On 13 Jul, 22:35, writer272002 > wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to this group and I apologize if this topic has already
> been covered.
>
> My 10-year-old cat has always pooped outside the litter box if it was
> too dirty for her. So about a year ago, I got a self-cleaning litter
> box. She always pees in the box, but if things aren't going her way --
> my boyfriend is there too long, in her mind taking my attention away
> from her; she doesn't get fed as much as she'd like; I'm sleeping late
> -- she poops outside the box.
>
> I have bought some enzyme cleaner to clean the spots, hoping it will
> keep her from using the same spot again. No such luck.
>
> I have two cats. I've done some research on this and seen the
> recommendation that you establish separate litter boxes for them. But
> I've had both of these cats since they were kittens and they have
> ALWAYS shared a box.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise I've just
> decided she is spoiled rotten and resigned myself to cleaning up poop.
>
> Thank you.

I meant to ask you if it was on a carpeted floor or a bare floor too?
There was a reason to my madness here.

I think that Bobblespin has given you some very good idea's there. If
that doesn't work, I was going to suggest that you try putting
newspaper where she normally goes, on top of a one sided rubber bath
mat, with absorbent side up if it is a carpet to stop it staining it,
or the flip side, according which surface it is.

This way, you can simply roll the news paper up & throw it way. If it
is a carpet, then @ least it won't stain where she keeps going. It
also makes clearing up easier & if it works, you can have couple on
the go. One whilst the other is laundered

I know that when you get to this stage, anything @ all is worth a go.
Try what Bobblespin suggests first & standing ready with the poop
scoop. If that doesn't work, then try & give the newspaper on top of
an absorbent bath mat, so that disposing of it is slightly easier & it
doesn't mark your floors either.
Good Luck :o)

Sheelagh

writer272002
July 14th 07, 10:30 PM
It's a hardwood floor. And that's a good plan.
I will give all of your ideas a shot!

THANKS! :)

Sheelagh >o
July 14th 07, 11:11 PM
On 14 Jul, 22:30, writer272002 > wrote:
> It's a hardwood floor. And that's a good plan.
> I will give all of your ideas a shot!
>
> THANKS! :)

You are most welcome. I hope this works for you. Do let us know, & if
it doesn't, we will just have to get right back in the think tank,
Lol..
All photos very welcome of course,
Good Luck,
Sheelagh >"o"<

July 16th 07, 11:09 PM
My male is peeing in new home???????? Wont stop. Himilayan, Happy cat.
Female is fine???

Sheelagh >o
July 17th 07, 02:11 PM
On 16 Jul, 23:09, wrote:
> My male is peeing in new home???????? Wont stop. Himilayan, Happy cat.
> Female is fine???

I think that there must be some residual cat pee from past tenants or
owners cats. I can't be certain of course, & I am not a betting
woman..
Having said that, the reason that males spray /mark /pee, is usually
because they can smell the residual spraying, & he is covering it up
with his on scent.
Now I am not a betting woman, but I would eat my left flip flop, if I
am not right in my assumption.

(Do you have any idea what left footed flip-flops taste like, lol:o)?

The reason for doing this is so that any other passing cat knows that
this is now *His* place, & they would do well to remember so too.. He
isn't doing it to annoy you- only to establish the fact that it is his
home, his pride and his territory.
Actually, sometimes females do this too, but normally it is only un-
spayed cats that do so, & the smell is nowhere near as offensive
either.

Your cat may be neutered already, but if he was allowed to reach
sexual maturity, then it is already second nature to him to spray and
cover the scent of a previous cat.

Your best bet is to invest in 2 separate products starting with a
removal remedy, then a relaxing pheromone so that he doesn't feel the
need to to mark all over your new home.
I will give you a link to both products to give you some idea of what
you need to look for.

this is for the removal of the scent that he is trying to cover or
mask.

http://www.urine-off.com/?gclid=CPj3paTTro0CFSdPEgodWRhN1Q

And, this one one to relax him so that he doesn't feel the stress and
the need to spray your new home.

http://www.catfaeries.com/feliway.html

I hope that this works for you.

Sheelagh >o
July 17th 07, 04:00 PM
On 16 Jul, 23:09, wrote:
> My male is peeing in new home???????? Wont stop. Himilayan, Happy cat.
> Female is fine???

I have actually replied to this post, but I can't see it posted
despite the fact that It was successfully posted. I imagine that there
is a gremlin on the rampage yet again today?

I think I will wait and see rather than post & re post only to see the
same post answered 3 times.
Now that would be Typical, Lol ;o)
Sheelagh

John Doe
August 4th 07, 08:48 AM
writer272002 > wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to this group and I apologize if this topic has already
> been covered.
>
> My 10-year-old cat has always pooped outside the litter box if it
> was too dirty for her.

Maybe it was.

The first thing I do when they miss the box is to clean the area with
a spray cleaner and recycled paper towels (from non-toxic use). The
letter always has some smell, and so they probably will be attracted
to it if they aren't distracted by other odors in the area. That's
assuming a healthy cat.

Good luck.