PDA

View Full Version : Delish Food for the Overweight Kitty?

Sandy McDermin
July 14th 07, 01:56 AM
Okay, my totally indoors kitty (Sassafrass aka Sassy) has been found by the
vet to be overweight. She's just turned seven years old and weighs 18 lbs.
4oz.. Last November she weighed about 17 lbs. I have a second kitty (Sophie)
who is a little over a year and a half years old and she weighs about 12
lbs. 3 oz.

Anyway, since they are both indoor kitties in a one bedroom apt., the vet
felt it was fine to put them both on diet/lite food. (It's hard to feed them
separately, especially as I am gone all day at work.) My question, beyond
diet dry food (I have Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul - LITE) what wet
food do any of your overweight furball's find delicious? My cats hate most
of the wet/canned DIET food, and I like to give them a variety of foods.

Frankly, I think this is a niche market that's been ignored. Most of the
higher-end brands have a dozen varieties of food and only one diet version.
The lower end -- or popular brands -- have almost nothing. There ain't no
diet Fancy Feast for instance. In fact, I'm sure that's a an oxymoron.

With obese adults, obese children and now obese pets, you'd think the pet
food companies would be all over this. What's their problem? Can't they
produce a *line* of diet food instead of just one lousy can of unappetizing
crap? (That's rhetorical.)

Have any suggestions? Any successes? What about treats or foods not designed
for cats, but okay for them? Vegetables? Canned fish in water, etc? What
about "normal," non-weight loss pet food fed in small doses? Any ideas on
which of those are the best for weight loss?

Sandy

cybercat
July 14th 07, 02:26 AM
"Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Okay, my totally indoors kitty (Sassafrass aka Sassy) has been found by
> the vet to be overweight. She's just turned seven years old and weighs 18
> lbs.

My cat, a petite tuxedo girl, was 18 pounds. She got fat being free-fed dry
diet
Iams.

My vet and folks here suggested canned food in controlled feedings 12 hours
apart. My cats love Fancy Feast, and some flavors have real meat, poultry,
etc. as a first ingredient, and no wheat or other grain additives, so it is
quality food according to my criteria.

Vet said, give her enough to maintain her current weight, then reduce by
1/4 until she has lost the weight you want her to lose. One pound a month
is about the maximum weight loss, you have to be careful with cats.

Boo lost 9 lbs in one year. She now eats one 3 oz can of FF twice a
day, plus just a few treats. The added water and protein has made her
a friskier, shinier, happier 12-year-old cat. Good luck.

Cheryl
July 14th 07, 02:26 AM
On Fri 13 Jul 2007 08:56:39p, Sandy McDermin wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:[email protected]>:

<snip>
> Frankly, I think this is a niche market that's been ignored.
> Most of the higher-end brands have a dozen varieties of food and
> only one diet version. The lower end -- or popular brands --
> have almost nothing. There ain't no diet Fancy Feast for
> instance. In fact, I'm sure that's a an oxymoron.

I don't think a canned food needs to be "diet". I have 4 cats
currently. 2 eat a diet of mostly canned, 2 I can't convert from
dry. Guess who the two are that are the fittest? My dry-food-
eating male isn't fat, but he could be easily. He's huge. But he's
also very active. And I measure out the dry food, so when it's
gone, there is no grazing. The two that eat mostly canned don't
even seem to try to graze much.

If they have no health problems, find a canned food high in protein
and low in carbs. Fancy Feast works for us. My chunky female who
mostly eats dry food eats Wellness Turkey, but I can't get her off
of dry food for her sustenance.

Rule of thumb: Give them all of the canned they want in 30 minutes,
then remove leftovers. Repeat 12 hours later.

You'll have to monitor this because not eating enough over a few
days, weeks, can be detrimental on their liver health.

--
Cheryl

cybercat
July 14th 07, 02:34 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote
> Rule of thumb: Give them all of the canned they want in 30 minutes,
> then remove leftovers. Repeat 12 hours later.

This is a GREAT way to start out. Then if they are not losing weight,
you could reduce it by 1/4.

Rene S.
July 14th 07, 03:51 PM
> Have any suggestions? Any successes? What about treats or foods not designed
> for cats, but okay for them? Vegetables? Canned fish in water, etc? What
> about "normal," non-weight loss pet food fed in small doses? Any ideas on
> which of those are the best for weight loss?

To understand why dry diet foods don't work, you have to understand
that felines don't need carbs in their diet. They need primarily
protien and fat. What do manufacturers add to the dry diet foods? More
carbs.

My cat gained six pounds on prescription "diet" foods from the vet. I
switched to a high-quality canned diet, and he began to lose weight.
Now he's on a raw diet (Nature's Variety), and he's doing even better.

Here's a good site that explains feline nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/
Here's my website on the story of Tucker and how we lost weight. If
you have questions, email me anytime: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/