PDA

View Full Version : My 2.5 yr old cat gave birth to 1 stillbirth cat


glreuther1
July 17th 07, 05:04 AM
My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten was
dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She has
not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows no
sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?

cybercat
July 17th 07, 05:08 AM
"glreuther1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten was
> dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She has
> not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows no
> sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
> normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?

How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
her spayed.

glreuther1
July 17th 07, 05:23 AM
Well this message board is supposed to be helpful not ignorant, keep your
nasty attitude to your damn self.

cybercat wrote:
>> My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten was
>> dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She has
>> not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows no
>> sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
>> normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?
>
>How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
>her spayed.

cindys
July 17th 07, 05:48 AM
"glreuther1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Well this message board is supposed to be helpful not ignorant, keep your
> nasty attitude to your damn self.
--------
I doubt that you'll find one single person on this board who doesn't agree
with cybercat.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.



>
> cybercat wrote:
>>> My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten
>>> was
>>> dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She
>>> has
>>> not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows
>>> no
>>> sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
>>> normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?
>>
>>How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
>>her spayed.
>

James
July 17th 07, 08:49 AM
On Jul 17, 12:48 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> "glreuther1" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
> > Well this message board is supposed to be helpful not ignorant, keep your
> > nasty attitude to your damn self.
>
> --------
> I doubt that you'll find one single person on this board who doesn't agree
> with cybercat.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
>
>
>
>
>
> > cybercat wrote:
> >>> My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten
> >>> was
> >>> dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She
> >>> has
> >>> not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows
> >>> no
> >>> sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
> >>> normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?
>
> >>How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
> >>her spayed.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

You are wrong. While pet Nazi dominate pet groups. Normal people do
visit from time to time.

You are right in that most here don't know a thing about breeding.

MaryL
July 17th 07, 11:02 AM
That response is neither ignorant nor nasty. First, we can't possibly know
if anything is wrong, but a delay of 7.5 hours clearly calls for a visit to
the vet ASAP. Second, the response may have been abrupt, but most of us on
this group have seen the heartbreaking results of people who continue to let
their cats breed. We have a dreadful problem with overpopulation of cats
and dogs (at least in the US), and only an aggressive spay/neuter program
can help. Even if a person has the best of intentions and finds homes for
all of the kittens produced by his or her cat, that means that there are
other cats that will probably be euthanized in shelters because there are no
homes for them. By coincidence, I attended a press conference last week at
our local shelter. The conference was set up for interviews by members of
the Humane Society and several rescue groups and was intended to call
attention to this very problem. The local shelter had to close its doors
(temporarily) on Tuesday because there was no room available. Forty-seven
animals were euthanized Tuesday. Employees opened the doors again at 10
a.m. Wednesday, and the shelter had already taken in 59 new animals (37 cats
and 22 dogs) within and two hours -- and closed again. This is a continuing
problem. Moreover, a larger shelter will not solve the problem. Only
spay/neuter can solve this problem. Our little town averages about 5,500
animal surrenders annually -- 4,000 of which had to be euthanized last year.
And that does not include the large number of cats and dogs that are simply
abandoned and suffer a far more painful death than humane euthanization.
Moreover, this town is not unique with the problem I cited. Far from it! I
might add, spay/neuter has beneficial aspects for the cat because there are
certain medical conditions that the procedure will prevent or reduce (such
as ovarian or uterine cancer, reduction in breast cancer, and reduction in
prostate cancer). Whenever I read that a parent says that he or she wants
their children to witness "the miracle of birth," I wonder if they are also
prepared for their children to witness "the miracle of death" because that
is what happens to an incredibly large number of animals as a result of pet
overpopulation.

So, we are not being cruel when we tell someone to have their cats spayed or
neutered. I do understand your pain at seeing the stillborn kitten and your
concern about what to do now. The advice may have sounded heartless under
the circumstances, but the advice was actually sound. First and foremost,
of course, is to get your cat to a vet because people on a newsgroup cannot
have any way of knowing if there is still a medical problem.

MaryL


"glreuther1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Well this message board is supposed to be helpful not ignorant, keep your
> nasty attitude to your damn self.
>
> cybercat wrote:
>>> My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten
>>> was
>>> dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She
>>> has
>>> not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows
>>> no
>>> sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
>>> normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?
>>
>>How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
>>her spayed.
>

kraut
July 17th 07, 12:58 PM
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:08:26 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>> My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten was
>> dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She has
>> not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows no
>> sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
>> normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?

>
>How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
>her spayed.
>

I second that. Take it to the vet and make sure everything is all
right with her!!

Prayers and purrs that nothing is wrong.




************************************************** ***
E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/



(\__/)
)oo(
={ >}=


************************************************** ***

glreuther1 via CatKB.com
July 17th 07, 01:30 PM
I am fully aware of that, I tried to call the vet a few hours afterward and
they did not return the call until this morning. I have two cats, 1 male and
1 female both siamese, this is why she was not Spayed. We were happy she was
pregnant, not to witness child birth but to keep their blood lines going.
And yes I totally agree their is a terrible over population and it needs to
be handled. However, I only popped in here while looking up the information
on line regarding the birthing process, because although my cat has had vet
visits while pregnant, the vet never told us how long the process should take.
And out of just ignorance we assumed it would be like any birthing process
and it could take time. She did not appear to be in labor still after the
first kitten was born. She resumed normal activities, such as eating,
drinking, jumping on to our laps. And appeared to have no contractions. I
just thought thought possibility to get a bit of advice at that time of night,
although slim, might be good. In the long run we found and emergency vet
whom saw her at 1am and they did a sonogram, she did not have anymore babies.
And we made an appt. to have her spayed since it was very heart breaking to
see her have to go through that. I went through it myself years ago, so can
imagine her pain and suffering.

MaryL wrote:
>That response is neither ignorant nor nasty. First, we can't possibly know
>if anything is wrong, but a delay of 7.5 hours clearly calls for a visit to
>the vet ASAP. Second, the response may have been abrupt, but most of us on
>this group have seen the heartbreaking results of people who continue to let
>their cats breed. We have a dreadful problem with overpopulation of cats
>and dogs (at least in the US), and only an aggressive spay/neuter program
>can help. Even if a person has the best of intentions and finds homes for
>all of the kittens produced by his or her cat, that means that there are
>other cats that will probably be euthanized in shelters because there are no
>homes for them. By coincidence, I attended a press conference last week at
>our local shelter. The conference was set up for interviews by members of
>the Humane Society and several rescue groups and was intended to call
>attention to this very problem. The local shelter had to close its doors
>(temporarily) on Tuesday because there was no room available. Forty-seven
>animals were euthanized Tuesday. Employees opened the doors again at 10
>a.m. Wednesday, and the shelter had already taken in 59 new animals (37 cats
>and 22 dogs) within and two hours -- and closed again. This is a continuing
>problem. Moreover, a larger shelter will not solve the problem. Only
>spay/neuter can solve this problem. Our little town averages about 5,500
>animal surrenders annually -- 4,000 of which had to be euthanized last year.
>And that does not include the large number of cats and dogs that are simply
>abandoned and suffer a far more painful death than humane euthanization.
>Moreover, this town is not unique with the problem I cited. Far from it! I
>might add, spay/neuter has beneficial aspects for the cat because there are
>certain medical conditions that the procedure will prevent or reduce (such
>as ovarian or uterine cancer, reduction in breast cancer, and reduction in
>prostate cancer). Whenever I read that a parent says that he or she wants
>their children to witness "the miracle of birth," I wonder if they are also
>prepared for their children to witness "the miracle of death" because that
>is what happens to an incredibly large number of animals as a result of pet
>overpopulation.
>
>So, we are not being cruel when we tell someone to have their cats spayed or
>neutered. I do understand your pain at seeing the stillborn kitten and your
>concern about what to do now. The advice may have sounded heartless under
>the circumstances, but the advice was actually sound. First and foremost,
>of course, is to get your cat to a vet because people on a newsgroup cannot
>have any way of knowing if there is still a medical problem.
>
>MaryL
>
>> Well this message board is supposed to be helpful not ignorant, keep your
>> nasty attitude to your damn self.
>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>>How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
>>>her spayed.

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

glreuther1 via CatKB.com
July 17th 07, 01:32 PM
I did also see similar messages on the board that were responded to, that is
what prompted me to leave a message. Next time I know don't ask non-
professionals questions, because when they don't have an answer it becomes
the fight or flight response.

glreuther1 wrote:
>I am fully aware of that, I tried to call the vet a few hours afterward and
>they did not return the call until this morning. I have two cats, 1 male and
>1 female both siamese, this is why she was not Spayed. We were happy she was
>pregnant, not to witness child birth but to keep their blood lines going.
>And yes I totally agree their is a terrible over population and it needs to
>be handled. However, I only popped in here while looking up the information
>on line regarding the birthing process, because although my cat has had vet
>visits while pregnant, the vet never told us how long the process should take.
>And out of just ignorance we assumed it would be like any birthing process
>and it could take time. She did not appear to be in labor still after the
>first kitten was born. She resumed normal activities, such as eating,
>drinking, jumping on to our laps. And appeared to have no contractions. I
>just thought thought possibility to get a bit of advice at that time of night,
>although slim, might be good. In the long run we found and emergency vet
>whom saw her at 1am and they did a sonogram, she did not have anymore babies.
>And we made an appt. to have her spayed since it was very heart breaking to
>see her have to go through that. I went through it myself years ago, so can
>imagine her pain and suffering.
>
>>That response is neither ignorant nor nasty. First, we can't possibly know
>>if anything is wrong, but a delay of 7.5 hours clearly calls for a visit to
>[quoted text clipped - 42 lines]
>>>>How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
>>>>her spayed.

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

CatNipped[_2_]
July 17th 07, 03:07 PM
"glreuther1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Well this message board is supposed to be helpful not ignorant, keep your
> nasty attitude to your damn self.
>
> cybercat wrote:
>>> My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten
>>> was
>>> dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She
>>> has
>>> not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows
>>> no
>>> sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
>>> normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?
>>
>>How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
>>her spayed.
>

What in the world was nasty about what Cybercat wrote???!

Personally, I think her advice was spot on.

CatNipped

glreuther1 via CatKB.com
July 17th 07, 03:20 PM
Sometimes it is not what you say, it is how you say it. But as I said
whatever. It has been taken care of. I just asked for a quick bit of advice,
because I really didn't know how long you should wait to take them to the vet
and I had tried contacting the vet hours earlier without receiving a response.
I was desperate at that point and looking for a helping hand. So it would
have been better to say something like. Sorry I don't know, but you should
take her to the vet. I would not have taken offense to it than. But some of
us were raised better than others and have more common sense to be descent to
other people.

CatNipped wrote:
>> Well this message board is supposed to be helpful not ignorant, keep your
>> nasty attitude to your damn self.
>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>>How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
>>>her spayed.
>
>What in the world was nasty about what Cybercat wrote???!
>
>Personally, I think her advice was spot on.
>
>CatNipped

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200707/1

cybercat
July 17th 07, 03:33 PM
"glreuther1 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Sometimes it is not what you say, it is how you say it. But as I said
> whatever. It has been taken care of. I just asked for a quick bit of
> advice,
> because I really didn't know how long you should wait to take them to the
> vet
> and I had tried contacting the vet hours earlier without receiving a
> response.
> I was desperate at that point and looking for a helping hand. So it would
> have been better to say something like. Sorry I don't know, but you
> should
> take her to the vet. I would not have taken offense to it than. But some
> of
> us were raised better than others and have more common sense to be descent
> to
> other people.

Some of use were raised to properly care for the animals who depend on us,
too.

The vet is the first place your sorry ass should have gone, not Usenet.

Dickhead.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 17th 07, 03:43 PM
"glreuther1 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Sometimes it is not what you say, it is how you say it. But as I said

It was said simply and without foul language or any recriminations. How
*would* you expect people, not vets, who have never seen your cat, and with
only a brief description of the problem, know how to diagnose your cat? And
moreover, *WHY* would you want those people to try to make a diagnosis and
tell you what to do? Why would you trust perfect strangers to tell you
something that important?

Additionally, expecting a group which is dedicated to the health and
happiness of cats to be sympathetic to someone who allows a cat to bring
kittens into a world that is euthanizing *THOUSANDS* of "excess" kittens
every day is a bit unrealistic.

Cybercat just stated the obvious without any implication of nastiness - she
has no control over how you infer what she wrote.

CatNipped

> whatever. It has been taken care of. I just asked for a quick bit of
> advice,
> because I really didn't know how long you should wait to take them to the
> vet
> and I had tried contacting the vet hours earlier without receiving a
> response.
> I was desperate at that point and looking for a helping hand. So it would
> have been better to say something like. Sorry I don't know, but you
> should
> take her to the vet. I would not have taken offense to it than. But some
> of
> us were raised better than others and have more common sense to be descent
> to
> other people.
>
> CatNipped wrote:
>>> Well this message board is supposed to be helpful not ignorant, keep
>>> your
>>> nasty attitude to your damn self.
>>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>>>How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
>>>>her spayed.
>>
>>What in the world was nasty about what Cybercat wrote???!
>>
>>Personally, I think her advice was spot on.
>>
>>CatNipped
>
> --
> Message posted via CatKB.com
> http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200707/1
>

July 17th 07, 03:43 PM
In article <[email protected]>, "glreuther1 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> But some of us were raised better than others and have more common
> sense to be descent to other people.

It's an unfortunate characteristic of network communications. Brevity
otherwise considered valuable in informed conversation often seems
aggressively terse in online communications. I doubt whether the
response in question was intended to shame or harm, although it is easy
to see how it might be taken that way.

Sorry about your kitten, glad the momma is okay.

cybercat
July 17th 07, 03:45 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
...
> "glreuther1 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Sometimes it is not what you say, it is how you say it. But as I said
>
> It was said simply and without foul language or any recriminations. How
> *would* you expect people, not vets, who have never seen your cat, and
> with only a brief description of the problem, know how to diagnose your
> cat? And moreover, *WHY* would you want those people to try to make a
> diagnosis and tell you what to do? Why would you trust perfect strangers
> to tell you something that important?
>
> Additionally, expecting a group which is dedicated to the health and
> happiness of cats to be sympathetic to someone who allows a cat to bring
> kittens into a world that is euthanizing *THOUSANDS* of "excess" kittens
> every day is a bit unrealistic.
>
> Cybercat just stated the obvious without any implication of nastiness -
> she has no control over how you infer what she wrote.
>

You are so good and so patient. Had the OP known me better, he/she would
have known that I used considerable restraint. For nothing! Just goes to
show
you, be yourself! ahhahaha!

Hope Archer and Ozzie are feeling better soon. I wonder if it is a
combination
of the shots and the emotional toil of thinking maybe they were getting sent
back or away??



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Sheelagh >o
July 17th 07, 03:48 PM
On 17 Jul, 05:23, "glreuther1" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Well this message board is supposed to be helpful not ignorant, keep your
> nasty attitude to your damn self.
>
>
>
> cybercat wrote:
> >> My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten was
> >> dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She has
> >> not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows no
> >> sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
> >> normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?
>
> >How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
> >her spayed.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

This was her first litter, is this normal?


I must start by saying, "No, this is not normal".

Many of you in the group will understand what I mean when I say that
this post sounds exactly like one of my own posts only 9 months or so
ago.

I feel for you.

I was a breeder of Birmans & Ragdolls, & I said everything that you
have just posted too. I also understand your outrage with cyber,
because I felt exactly the same way that you do, then. However, I
decided to stick around and keep reading & posting, if only to further
my knowledge of cats in general, & talk to other people regarding cat
issues, that I wouldn't normally have been able to had I not bothered
doing so.

The reason I didn't like her remarks and took them personally was
because I felt they were rude & directed @ me personally. I was wrong
there & I can see that now. It is simply frustration of people asking
the same question time & time over. But I couldn't see that @ that
time.....

I had been breeding for several years before coming here with a
problem with one of my Queens, who turned out to have ringworm in the
end. It took me roughly 5-6 months of reading to understand that *I
was part of the problem.*.

I have since done what you are deciding to do right now & I applaud
you for that.
I am going to show you a photos that was posted to me when I announced
that I had decided to give up breeding, for guilt, love, & being able
to live with myself too.
Now this poster could have posted this [email protected] any time in all of the 5
months that I had been posting, asking advice & adding my own
contribution: in fact anyone here could have posted it, had they
really wanted to hurt my feelings.

Believe me when I tell you that no one would choose to hurt your
feelings here. It is merely frustration @ the same question being
asked time & time over. People here can't see your cat, so it would be
highly irresponsible to tell you what was right, or wrong, based on a
few lines of writing.

However, your vet does know your queen, so It would be best for you to
talk to him / her., & decide where you go from here.
Finally, I am so sorry that you went through this. No one deserves to
cope with miscarriages, be they feline or human

http://maxshouse.com/heartache.JPG

Now this really made me look @ life differently. Phil could have
posted this any time he chose to.. but he didn't, he waited until I
saw my own mistake, & I thank him for that.

I wish both you & your cats well. Please believe me when I tell you
that it is better to love your cats & loose her kittens, than it is to
loose both, because this is what you face if you allow her to become
pregnant again.

If you look up the word pyometra, you will understand that what I tell
you is true.
Good Luck & Best wishes,
Sheelagh

kraut
July 17th 07, 05:37 PM
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:30:01 GMT, "glreuther1 via CatKB.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am fully aware of that, I tried to call the vet a few hours afterward and
>they did not return the call until this morning.


If you or anyone has an emergency there are animal emergency hospital
around that you or they can take they pets to if their vet does not /
can not get back to them in a timely manner.




************************************************** ***
E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/



(\__/)
)oo(
={ >}=


************************************************** ***

bookie
July 17th 07, 05:56 PM
On 17 Jul, 13:32, "glreuther1 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I did also see similar messages on the board that were responded to, that is
> what prompted me to leave a message. Next time I know don't ask non-
> professionals questions, because when they don't have an answer it becomes
> the fight or flight response.
>
>
>
>
>
> glreuther1 wrote:
> >I am fully aware of that, I tried to call the vet a few hours afterward and
> >they did not return the call until this morning. I have two cats, 1 male and
> >1 female both siamese, this is why she was not Spayed. We were happy she was
> >pregnant, not to witness child birth but to keep their blood lines going.
> >And yes I totally agree their is a terrible over population and it needs to
> >be handled. However, I only popped in here while looking up the information
> >on line regarding the birthing process, because although my cat has had vet
> >visits while pregnant, the vet never told us how long the process should take.
> >And out of just ignorance we assumed it would be like any birthing process
> >and it could take time. She did not appear to be in labor still after the
> >first kitten was born. She resumed normal activities, such as eating,
> >drinking, jumping on to our laps. And appeared to have no contractions. I
> >just thought thought possibility to get a bit of advice at that time of night,
> >although slim, might be good. In the long run we found and emergency vet
> >whom saw her at 1am and they did a sonogram, she did not have anymore babies.
> >And we made an appt. to have her spayed since it was very heart breaking to
> >see her have to go through that. I went through it myself years ago, so can
> >imagine her pain and suffering.
>
> >>That response is neither ignorant nor nasty. First, we can't possibly know
> >>if anything is wrong, but a delay of 7.5 hours clearly calls for a visit to
> >[quoted text clipped - 42 lines]
> >>>>How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
> >>>>her spayed.
>
> --
> Message posted viahttp://www.catkb.com- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

if you first vet has ignored your call when you obviously have what
could be a serious emergency on your hands, it is time to find another
vet pronto.

and 'keepign bloodlines going' is not really a good enough excuse for
adding to the problem of overpopulation. You would have to find a home
for the little one and that would take away a potential home for one
of the many thousands of cats in rescue shelters up and down the
country who are already there and desparate for a good home. dontl
just think about your self, think about how what you do affects
everything else inthe world as everything you do can have a knock on
effect in ways you least expect.

remember; if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the
problem, so thnk about getting her spayed

bookie

CatNipped[_2_]
July 17th 07, 06:44 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
>
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
> ...
>> "glreuther1 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Sometimes it is not what you say, it is how you say it. But as I said
>>
>> It was said simply and without foul language or any recriminations. How
>> *would* you expect people, not vets, who have never seen your cat, and
>> with only a brief description of the problem, know how to diagnose your
>> cat? And moreover, *WHY* would you want those people to try to make a
>> diagnosis and tell you what to do? Why would you trust perfect strangers
>> to tell you something that important?
>>
>> Additionally, expecting a group which is dedicated to the health and
>> happiness of cats to be sympathetic to someone who allows a cat to bring
>> kittens into a world that is euthanizing *THOUSANDS* of "excess" kittens
>> every day is a bit unrealistic.
>>
>> Cybercat just stated the obvious without any implication of nastiness -
>> she has no control over how you infer what she wrote.
>>
>
> You are so good and so patient. Had the OP known me better, he/she would
> have known that I used considerable restraint. For nothing! Just goes to
> show
> you, be yourself! ahhahaha!

LOL - so true! ;>

>
> Hope Archer and Ozzie are feeling better soon. I wonder if it is a
> combination
> of the shots and the emotional toil of thinking maybe they were getting
> sent
> back or away??

I just posted this update in another thread...

I just talked to Ben. He said when he got home both boys were still asleep
under the couch in his office (now known as the isolation chamber with the
screen on the door ;>). He pulled them out and gave them some food - and
both boys scarfed it down like the little piglets they are. Tayla came over
when Archer was finished eating and gave him a good wash. When she was done
she walked over to Ozzy, who was still eating, and started to give him a
wash. However, Ozzy didn't want to be washed so he looked up into her face
and hissed at her!!! She sat back and bopped him on top of his head three
times until he laid down, properly chastised, and then gave him his good
wash. After she was done he jumped up, licked both his and Archer's plate
clean, and then walked over and started eating Tayla's dry food. Tayla
looked up at Ben with a "What are you gonna do?" look and then jumped up to
his desk to take her nap.

Hugs,

CatNipped


> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
>

cybercat
July 17th 07, 07:02 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote
> I just talked to Ben. He said when he got home both boys were still
> asleep under the couch in his office (now known as the isolation chamber
> with the screen on the door ;>). He pulled them out and gave them some
> food - and both boys scarfed it down like the little piglets they are.
> Tayla came over when Archer was finished eating and gave him a good wash.
> When she was done she walked over to Ozzy, who was still eating, and
> started to give him a wash. However, Ozzy didn't want to be washed so he
> looked up into her face and hissed at her!!! She sat back and bopped him
> on top of his head three times until he laid down, properly chastised, and
> then gave him his good wash. After she was done he jumped up, licked both
> his and Archer's plate clean, and then walked over and started eating
> Tayla's dry food. Tayla looked up at Ben with a "What are you gonna do?"
> look and then jumped up to his desk to take her nap.
>

That is sooo cute. Maybe the boys will help Tayla by being surrogate
kittens for the ones she lost, at least allowing her to mother a bit.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 17th 07, 07:50 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> "CatNipped" > wrote
>> I just talked to Ben. He said when he got home both boys were still
>> asleep under the couch in his office (now known as the isolation chamber
>> with the screen on the door ;>). He pulled them out and gave them some
>> food - and both boys scarfed it down like the little piglets they are.
>> Tayla came over when Archer was finished eating and gave him a good wash.
>> When she was done she walked over to Ozzy, who was still eating, and
>> started to give him a wash. However, Ozzy didn't want to be washed so he
>> looked up into her face and hissed at her!!! She sat back and bopped him
>> on top of his head three times until he laid down, properly chastised,
>> and then gave him his good wash. After she was done he jumped up, licked
>> both his and Archer's plate clean, and then walked over and started
>> eating Tayla's dry food. Tayla looked up at Ben with a "What are you
>> gonna do?" look and then jumped up to his desk to take her nap.
>>
>
> That is sooo cute. Maybe the boys will help Tayla by being surrogate
> kittens for the ones she lost, at least allowing her to mother a bit.

I hope so, they need someone to wash off the kitten stink! Now if she could
just get them to stop using their litterbox as their "fort" and a hiding
place for ambushing each other! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cheryl
July 17th 07, 11:30 PM
On Tue 17 Jul 2007 12:04:43a, glreuther1 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:[email protected]>:

> My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The
> kitten was dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and
> nothing worked. She has not given birth to any other kittens in
> the last 7.5 hours. She shows no sign of distress, she is
> jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as normal. This was
> her first litter, is this normal?
>
>

Don't know about normal, but when you take her to the vet I'd ask
for FELV and FIV combo test. I read/heard a long time ago that
these illnesses can cause either spontaneous abortion or fetal
absorption. I think that while one kitten isn't impossible, it
surely must be rare. The fact that the one was stillborn makes me
wonder about the health of the mama. I believe toxoplasmosis can
cause stillbirth, too. Kitty needs vet.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
July 17th 07, 11:35 PM
On Tue 17 Jul 2007 01:44:57p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> Tayla came over
> when Archer was finished eating and gave him a good wash. When
> she was done she walked over to Ozzy, who was still eating, and
> started to give him a wash. However, Ozzy didn't want to be
> washed so he looked up into her face and hissed at her!!! She
> sat back and bopped him on top of his head three times until he
> laid down, properly chastised, and then gave him his good wash.
> After she was done he jumped up, licked both his and Archer's
> plate clean, and then walked over and started eating Tayla's dry
> food. Tayla looked up at Ben with a "What are you gonna do?"
> look and then jumped up to his desk to take her nap.
>
>

This is hysterical! It so reminds me of how Shamrock adopted
Scarlett and Rhett as his "babies" when they first arrived, and how
he became known as Mr Mom for a while here. The kittens learned
their manners from him, just as yours are from Tayla. Sooo cute,
and nicely described, too.

--
Cheryl

Fred G. Mackey[_2_]
July 18th 07, 07:05 AM
glreuther1 wrote:
> My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten was
> dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She has
> not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows no
> sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
> normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?
>

No, it is NOT normal.

Normal people have their cats neutered or spayed.

Fred G. Mackey[_2_]
July 18th 07, 07:09 AM
bookie wrote:

>
>
> if you first vet has ignored your call when you obviously have what
> could be a serious emergency on your hands, it is time to find another
> vet pronto.

Exactly - even in the small town where I live, there are 24-hour vets.
Okay, I admit, I haven't tested them to find out if they REALLY do live
up to their claims, but I would keep calling every vet I could find
until I got hold of one if I felt my cat was in danger.

>
> and 'keepign bloodlines going' is not really a good enough excuse for
> adding to the problem of overpopulation. You would have to find a home
> for the little one and that would take away a potential home for one
> of the many thousands of cats in rescue shelters up and down the
> country who are already there and desparate for a good home. dontl
> just think about your self, think about how what you do affects
> everything else inthe world as everything you do can have a knock on
> effect in ways you least expect.
>
> remember; if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the
> problem, so thnk about getting her spayed
>

Think about it and then do it.

> bookie
>

bookie
July 19th 07, 12:40 AM
On 17 Jul, 15:45, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
>
>
> > "glreuther1 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]
> >> Sometimes it is not what you say, it is how you say it. But as I said
>
> > It was said simply and without foul language or any recriminations. How
> > *would* you expect people, not vets, who have never seen your cat, and
> > with only a brief description of the problem, know how to diagnose your
> > cat? And moreover, *WHY* would you want those people to try to make a
> > diagnosis and tell you what to do? Why would you trust perfect strangers
> > to tell you something that important?
>
> > Additionally, expecting a group which is dedicated to the health and
> > happiness of cats to be sympathetic to someone who allows a cat to bring
> > kittens into a world that is euthanizing *THOUSANDS* of "excess" kittens
> > every day is a bit unrealistic.
>
> > Cybercat just stated the obvious without any implication of nastiness -
> > she has no control over how you infer what she wrote.
>
> You are so good and so patient. Had the OP known me better, he/she would
> have known that I used considerable restraint. For nothing! Just goes to
> show
> you, be yourself! ahhahaha!
>
> Hope Archer and Ozzie are feeling better soon. I wonder if it is a
> combination
> of the shots and the emotional toil of thinking maybe they were getting sent
> back or away??
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account fromhttp://www.teranews.com- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

actually all you did was say exactly what a lot of us were thinking
anyway, you just got to your computer before the rest of us!

the OP has made their cat go through an unnecessary and probably
painful and traumatic experience of giving birth to a still born
kitten then expects people here to not pass judgement on that and just
give advice, what else did they expect? i think you were much tamer
than i would have been.

i feel so sorry for the 2 cats involved, i do not really think that
the OP has their best interests at heart by making them breed, and
certainly does not have the interests of the wider cat community in
mind at all if they do not have both cats 'done' asap.

some people are just selfish cretins, just a real shame that the
welfare of such beautiful creatures has been entrusted to such morons

bookie

honeybunch
July 19th 07, 01:14 AM
I am really sorry that your cat's first pregnancy worked out so sadly
for you and for her. But even more, I am sorry and wish I could
appologise for how hatefully you were treated on this listserv. It
seems common on many listservs that nasty, drunken and ignorant people
appear to be dominant and so people are discouraged from asking
questions. However, when I had a problem with my cat, I got several
helpful responses sent to me privately that were a big help to me and
made me and the cat feel better. I am still grateful for them. I
hope you did as well and will continue to post on this listserv
because there are good people here who do not necessarily respond
online but who will respond by direct email.


On Jul 17, 12:04 am, "glreuther1" <[email protected]> wrote:
> My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten was
> dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She has
> not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows no
> sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
> normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?

cybercat
July 19th 07, 02:27 PM
"bookie" > wrote
>
> the OP has made their cat go through an unnecessary and probably
> painful and traumatic experience of giving birth to a still born
> kitten then expects people here to not pass judgement on that and just
> give advice, what else did they expect? i think you were much tamer
> than i would have been.
>
> i feel so sorry for the 2 cats involved, i do not really think that
> the OP has their best interests at heart by making them breed, and
> certainly does not have the interests of the wider cat community in
> mind at all if they do not have both cats 'done' asap.
>
> some people are just selfish cretins, just a real shame that the
> welfare of such beautiful creatures has been entrusted to such morons
>

Very nicely put. And from knowing the little bit you know about me
from this group, you can probably see why I like cats better than most
people.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

bookie
July 20th 07, 01:33 AM
On 19 Jul, 14:27, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote
>
>
>
> > the OP has made their cat go through an unnecessary and probably
> > painful and traumatic experience of giving birth to a still born
> > kitten then expects people here to not pass judgement on that and just
> > give advice, what else did they expect? i think you were much tamer
> > than i would have been.
>
> > i feel so sorry for the 2 cats involved, i do not really think that
> > the OP has their best interests at heart by making them breed, and
> > certainly does not have the interests of the wider cat community in
> > mind at all if they do not have both cats 'done' asap.
>
> > some people are just selfish cretins, just a real shame that the
> > welfare of such beautiful creatures has been entrusted to such morons
>
> Very nicely put. And from knowing the little bit you know about me
> from this group, you can probably see why I like cats better than most
> people.
>

I do too most of the time, in fact pretty much all of the time