PDA

View Full Version : lonely for a companion


July 19th 07, 04:58 AM
Greetings. I'm new here, so go easy on me should I inadvertently side-
step any etiquette. My situation is this:

Jimmie, my 1-2 year-old (don't know precisely as she was a stray)
female calico, seems very lonely and restless. She requires attention
*constantly* -- all day, all night, every day, every night. She cries
relentlessly unless she's being doted upon. I try my best, but one
can only give so much. This has been going on since the day I took
her in, about seven months ago. She has regular vet visits so I know
health is not the issue. I can't write it off to her being a kitten,
because she's really not; she has her adult teeth and has actually
been through a partial pregnancy and subsequent spaying already at
such a tender age. I think a companion might help because the only
time she seems satisfied without me is when she's frolicking in the
yard with the neighbour's cat (an adult male). However, she is *very*
territorial and agressive with any other cats that are foolish enough
to tred on her turf. So my question would be what kind of cat makes a
good companion for young, agressive females? Breed? Sex? Age? I
know every cat is different, but there must be some sort of
generalized behavior pattern and pairing recommendation, no?

mariib via CatKB.com
July 19th 07, 05:42 AM
wrote:
>Greetings. I'm new here, so go easy on me should I inadvertently side-
>step any etiquette. My situation is this:
>
>Jimmie, my 1-2 year-old (don't know precisely as she was a stray)
>female calico, seems very lonely and restless. She requires attention
>*constantly* -- all day, all night, every day, every night. She cries
>relentlessly unless she's being doted upon. I try my best, but one
>can only give so much. This has been going on since the day I took
>her in, about seven months ago. She has regular vet visits so I know
>health is not the issue. I can't write it off to her being a kitten,
>because she's really not; she has her adult teeth and has actually
>been through a partial pregnancy and subsequent spaying already at
>such a tender age. I think a companion might help because the only
>time she seems satisfied without me is when she's frolicking in the
>yard with the neighbour's cat (an adult male). However, she is *very*
>territorial and agressive with any other cats that are foolish enough
>to tred on her turf. So my question would be what kind of cat makes a
>good companion for young, agressive females? Breed? Sex? Age? I
>know every cat is different, but there must be some sort of
>generalized behavior pattern and pairing recommendation, no?

Perhaps a calm, confident easy-going friendly male kitten. My first cat
Whiskey was a young tortoishell female -age probably 8 months to 1 year or so
when I got her. She was semi-feral & had been very badly treated, beaten &
almost drowned by rotten neighborhood bullies. So she was extremely
aggressive & noisy inside. I had her spayed & decided she needed a companion
& brought home a tiny white part Maine Coon male kitten Tommy. She took to
him as a mommy cat & they were inseparable from 1970 thru 1985 when he died
of kidney failure. He loved people, was easy-going, passive & extremely
friendly, I think the typical Maine Coon personality, while the tortoishell
scared almost everyone who came near her - she never completely lost her
wildness & always hissed, spit, puffed herself up & made a racket when anyone
other than myself & 2 of my boys (born after her arrival) approached her. To
those of us she accepted, she was very loving. Here's a link to a picture of
Tommy http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2608888580050028271ZMvdoj
& another to Whiskey
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2059908280050028271BscXyB
Definitely get another cat for her & introduce them carefully.
M.

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

CatNipped[_2_]
July 19th 07, 01:47 PM
"mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> wrote:
>>Greetings. I'm new here, so go easy on me should I inadvertently side-
>>step any etiquette. My situation is this:
>>
>>Jimmie, my 1-2 year-old (don't know precisely as she was a stray)
>>female calico, seems very lonely and restless. She requires attention
>>*constantly* -- all day, all night, every day, every night. She cries
>>relentlessly unless she's being doted upon. I try my best, but one
>>can only give so much. This has been going on since the day I took
>>her in, about seven months ago. She has regular vet visits so I know
>>health is not the issue. I can't write it off to her being a kitten,
>>because she's really not; she has her adult teeth and has actually
>>been through a partial pregnancy and subsequent spaying already at
>>such a tender age. I think a companion might help because the only
>>time she seems satisfied without me is when she's frolicking in the
>>yard with the neighbour's cat (an adult male). However, she is *very*
>>territorial and agressive with any other cats that are foolish enough
>>to tred on her turf. So my question would be what kind of cat makes a
>>good companion for young, agressive females? Breed? Sex? Age? I
>>know every cat is different, but there must be some sort of
>>generalized behavior pattern and pairing recommendation, no?
>
> Perhaps a calm, confident easy-going friendly male kitten. My first cat
> Whiskey was a young tortoishell female -age probably 8 months to 1 year or
> so
> when I got her. She was semi-feral & had been very badly treated, beaten &
> almost drowned by rotten neighborhood bullies. So she was extremely
> aggressive & noisy inside. I had her spayed & decided she needed a
> companion
> & brought home a tiny white part Maine Coon male kitten Tommy. She took to
> him as a mommy cat & they were inseparable from 1970 thru 1985 when he
> died
> of kidney failure. He loved people, was easy-going, passive & extremely
> friendly, I think the typical Maine Coon personality, while the
> tortoishell
> scared almost everyone who came near her - she never completely lost her
> wildness & always hissed, spit, puffed herself up & made a racket when
> anyone
> other than myself & 2 of my boys (born after her arrival) approached her.
> To
> those of us she accepted, she was very loving. Here's a link to a picture
> of
> Tommy http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2608888580050028271ZMvdoj
> & another to Whiskey
> http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2059908280050028271BscXyB
> Definitely get another cat for her & introduce them carefully.
> M.

Ah, what gorgeous kitties!

Hugs,

CatNipped

>
> --
> Message posted via http://www.catkb.com
>

Rene S.
July 19th 07, 06:57 PM
Yes, it sounds like she could use a companion. As long as both cats
are spayed/neutered, sex should not be an issue. I would go to your
local shelter and tell them your situation. Explain that you're
looking for an easy-going cat, and they should be able to match you
up. Make sure you introduce them very slowly. I'm sure she'll enjoy
her new playmate soon!

July 19th 07, 11:48 PM
On Jul 19, 12:42 am, "mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> wrote:
> >Greetings. I'm new here, so go easy on me should I inadvertently side-
> >step any etiquette. My situation is this:
>
> >Jimmie, my 1-2 year-old (don't know precisely as she was a stray)
> >female calico, seems very lonely and restless. She requires attention
> >*constantly* -- all day, all night, every day, every night. She cries
> >relentlessly unless she's being doted upon. I try my best, but one
> >can only give so much. This has been going on since the day I took
> >her in, about seven months ago. She has regular vet visits so I know
> >health is not the issue. I can't write it off to her being a kitten,
> >because she's really not; she has her adult teeth and has actually
> >been through a partial pregnancy and subsequent spaying already at
> >such a tender age. I think a companion might help because the only
> >time she seems satisfied without me is when she's frolicking in the
> >yard with the neighbour's cat (an adult male). However, she is *very*
> >territorial and agressive with any other cats that are foolish enough
> >to tred on her turf. So my question would be what kind of cat makes a
> >good companion for young, agressive females? Breed? Sex? Age? I
> >know every cat is different, but there must be some sort of
> >generalized behavior pattern and pairing recommendation, no?
>
> Perhaps a calm, confident easy-going friendly male kitten. My first cat
> Whiskey was a young tortoishell female -age probably 8 months to 1 year or so
> when I got her. She was semi-feral & had been very badly treated, beaten &
> almost drowned by rotten neighborhood bullies. So she was extremely
> aggressive & noisy inside. I had her spayed & decided she needed a companion
> & brought home a tiny white part Maine Coon male kitten Tommy. She took to
> him as a mommy cat & they were inseparable from 1970 thru 1985 when he died
> of kidney failure. He loved people, was easy-going, passive & extremely
> friendly, I think the typical Maine Coon personality, while the tortoishell
> scared almost everyone who came near her - she never completely lost her
> wildness & always hissed, spit, puffed herself up & made a racket when anyone
> other than myself & 2 of my boys (born after her arrival) approached her. To
> those of us she accepted, she was very loving. Here's a link to a picture of
> Tommy http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2608888580050028271ZMvdoj
> & another to Whiskeyhttp://pets.webshots.com/photo/2059908280050028271BscXyB
> Definitely get another cat for her & introduce them carefully.
> M.
>
> --
> Message posted viahttp://www.catkb.com- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

M,
The relationship you describe is what I'm hoping for. Your Whisky
looks exactly like my Jimmie, though perhaps a bit more tempermental
in nature (to outsiders, anyway). In fact, I know of two other
rescued female calicos/tortoiseshells who have similarly 'touchy'
demeanors. Wonder if it's something specific to that breed or has
more to do with an unstable background. Thanks for the reply.

James
July 20th 07, 12:26 AM
On Jul 19, 1:57 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> Yes, it sounds like she could use a companion. As long as both cats
> are spayed/neutered, sex should not be an issue. I would go to your
> local shelter and tell them your situation. Explain that you're
> looking for an easy-going cat, and they should be able to match you
> up. Make sure you introduce them very slowly. I'm sure she'll enjoy
> her new playmate soon!

Why not just let her play with the neighbor's cat?

bookie
July 20th 07, 01:43 AM
On 19 Jul, 04:58, wrote:
> Greetings. I'm new here, so go easy on me should I inadvertently side-
> step any etiquette. My situation is this:
>
> Jimmie, my 1-2 year-old (don't know precisely as she was a stray)
> female calico, seems very lonely and restless. She requires attention
> *constantly* -- all day, all night, every day, every night. She cries
> relentlessly unless she's being doted upon. I try my best, but one
> can only give so much. This has been going on since the day I took
> her in, about seven months ago. She has regular vet visits so I know
> health is not the issue. I can't write it off to her being a kitten,
> because she's really not; she has her adult teeth and has actually
> been through a partial pregnancy and subsequent spaying already at
> such a tender age. I think a companion might help because the only
> time she seems satisfied without me is when she's frolicking in the
> yard with the neighbour's cat (an adult male). However, she is *very*
> territorial and agressive with any other cats that are foolish enough
> to tred on her turf. So my question would be what kind of cat makes a
> good companion for young, agressive females? Breed? Sex? Age? I
> know every cat is different, but there must be some sort of
> generalized behavior pattern and pairing recommendation, no?

any cat! as long as it is from a shelter or similar rescue centre that
is, i don't want to hear you have gone to some breeder to get some
special pedigree kitten costing hundred of pounds when they are so
many lovely pusscats languishing in shelters just waiting for you to
come and take them home and be their dad.

maybe some thing as young or younger than she is so she does not see
it as a threat and beat the poor thing up, but apart from that it MUST
come from a shelter or rescue centre

bookie

mariib via CatKB.com
July 20th 07, 03:14 AM
bookie wrote:
>On 19 Jul, 04:58, wrote:
>> Greetings. I'm new here, so go easy on me should I inadvertently side-
>> step any etiquette. My situation is this:
>[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
>> know every cat is different, but there must be some sort of
>> generalized behavior pattern and pairing recommendation, no?
>
>any cat! as long as it is from a shelter or similar rescue centre that
>is, i don't want to hear you have gone to some breeder to get some
>special pedigree kitten costing hundred of pounds when they are so
>many lovely pusscats languishing in shelters just waiting for you to
>come and take them home and be their dad.
>
>maybe some thing as young or younger than she is so she does not see
>it as a threat and beat the poor thing up, but apart from that it MUST
>come from a shelter or rescue centre
>
>bookie

I think he needs to find a very friendly, calm non-assertive young
kitten/young cat & he can take his time looking for one. There's kittens
galore looking for homes posted in local veterinary offices or various rescue
organizations in every city.

All my cats have been rescues - way back in 1970, Tommy the white kitten with
green eyes from my earlier post was dropped into my lab coat pocket at work
by someone too lazy to neuter her cats. I wrote here a couple months ago
about what happened after I took him home to my apartment when I was
introducing him to Whiskey, my wild bad-tempered tortoiseshell girl. I stayed
home from work for more than a week hoping she would accept him & I wasn't
sure if she would. Eventually I had to go back to work & left Tommy in the
kitchen with pillows, cushions, comforters, bedding up almost to the ceiling
on both doors to keep them apart till I got home. Hours later on returning, I
was almost afraid to open the door (would Tommy be OK? Had Whiskey attacked
him?) & was shocked at what I found. All the barriers were pulled down &
Whiskey was on the living room sofa with tiny Tommy tucked under her. She
became his mommy, treated him as her baby & they were inseparable until he
was put to sleep in late 1985 after his kidneys failed. Whiskey only lived
another 8 months & her death was neither kind nor peaceful - it was just
awful & I will never forgive the rotten neighbor responsible for what
happened.
M.

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

cybercat
July 20th 07, 04:26 AM
"bookie" > wrote
> any cat! as long as it is from a shelter or similar rescue centre that
> is, i don't want to hear you have gone to some breeder to get some
> special pedigree kitten costing hundred of pounds when they are so
> many lovely pusscats languishing in shelters just waiting for you to
> come and take them home and be their dad.
>
> maybe some thing as young or younger than she is so she does not see
> it as a threat and beat the poor thing up, but apart from that it MUST
> come from a shelter or rescue centre
>

Amen. I found trusting my instincts at the shelter worked very well.
And I talked with the lady who ran it, and the volunteers. Six years
later, this is the best little cat I have ever had.