PDA

View Full Version : Looking for automatic litterbox recommendations


James Egan
July 19th 07, 11:18 PM
I've been googling messages about automatic litter boxes.
The only conclusion I've come to is that the littermaid
does not work very well. Are there any that do work well?
I have to cats, one 15 and one 16, and they are going a
lot more than they used to. I was always able to clean
the litter box every other day, but now I need to do it
daily. So I'd like to get something automated. Can someone
recommend an automatic litter box that really works?

-Thanks


BTW, here are some links to automatic litter boxes in case anyone
else is interested.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Omega-Paw-Self-Cleaning-Kitty-Cat-Litter-Box_W0QQugidZ10000000003182426?ssPageName=BUYGD:CA T:-1:LISTINGS:5

http://shopping.aol.com/litter%20boxes-products/?ref=aol081&sem=1&is_cid=AOLINS00170000000006

http://www.litter-robot.com/default.aspx?ac=1?source=gaw08&gclid=CNDHnZCrso0CFQIpFQodyR280A

http://www.yuckos.com/rollaway/roll_away_cat_litter_box.htm

cybercat
July 19th 07, 11:39 PM
"James Egan" > wrote in message
...
> I've been googling messages about automatic litter boxes.
> The only conclusion I've come to is that the littermaid
> does not work very well. Are there any that do work well?
> I have to cats, one 15 and one 16, and they are going a
> lot more than they used to. I was always able to clean
> the litter box every other day, but now I need to do it
> daily. So I'd like to get something automated.

Oh, come on! You should have been scooping their boxes at
least once a day anyway.

Also, if you are concerned with anything beyond your own
convenience, you might realize that a change in volume or
frequency may be a sign of illness. Your cats may live to be
20-30 years old, but many begin to wind down in their mid
-teens. Do you really want to introduce a mechanized box
that ill likely scare them, just to save you from bending over
once a day and scooping the box?

James Egan
July 19th 07, 11:57 PM
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:39:59 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> Oh, come on! You should have been scooping their boxes at
> least once a day anyway.


The litter changed every other day worked well for 15 years.
Maybe your litter box is too small.


> Also, if you are concerned with anything beyond your own
> convenience, you might realize that a change in volume or
> frequency may be a sign of illness. Your cats may live to be
> 20-30 years old, but many begin to wind down in their mid
> -teens. Do you really want to introduce a mechanized box
> that ill likely scare them, just to save you from bending over
> once a day and scooping the box?

To answer your paranoid and condescending response, no they are
not ill -- I take them to the vets regularly. And yes, I would
introduce a nuclear powered litter box if I thought it would work.
It's modern conveniences that take the drudgery out of life, in
case you hadn't noticed. Why don't you do the wash your clothes
by hand anymore? Have you ever used a dishwasher? Do you like
electricity? How about sliced bread?

cybercat
July 20th 07, 12:10 AM
"James Egan" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:39:59 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>
>> Oh, come on! You should have been scooping their boxes at
>> least once a day anyway.
>
>
> The litter changed every other day worked well for 15 years.
> Maybe your litter box is too small.
>

You should have two boxes for two cats. Your poor cats.
You should consider yourself lucky that they have not begun
to elimnate inappropriately, given that every other day they
have overflowing litter boxes. Ugh.

As for convenience, how hard is it to scoop a cat box?

What you will find with any automatic box is that it is more
trouble than it is worth. And, the sound alone is enough to
frighten some cats away from the box and off to places you
do not want them to eliminate.

bookie
July 20th 07, 01:39 AM
On 20 Jul, 00:10, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "James Egan" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>
> > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:39:59 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>
> >> Oh, come on! You should have been scooping their boxes at
> >> least once a day anyway.
>
> > The litter changed every other day worked well for 15 years.
> > Maybe your litter box is too small.
>
> You should have two boxes for two cats. Your poor cats.
> You should consider yourself lucky that they have not begun
> to elimnate inappropriately, given that every other day they
> have overflowing litter boxes. Ugh.
>
> As for convenience, how hard is it to scoop a cat box?
>
> What you will find with any automatic box is that it is more
> trouble than it is worth. And, the sound alone is enough to
> frighten some cats away from the box and off to places you
> do not want them to eliminate.

i think the recommended number is one litter tray per cat plus one, if
you have the space, but i certainly have one per cat; one upstairs for
jessie and one downstairs for terri which they seem to stick to.

at theri old age i dontl think they woudl appreciate the sound of an
automatic self cleaning litter tray, it woudl more likely scare the
living **** of them and put them off using the tray altogether , and
that's when you will find them doing their 'business' in some rather
inappropriate places which is something I am sure you do not want.
some 'modern conveniences' are not actually that convenient when it
really comes down to it.

do them a favour and stick to what they know, a normal tray, and get
them one each, they are too old to be havign their routines disrupted
jsut because you can't be bothered to clean up after them a little bit
now that they are in the twilight of their lives.

bookie

Spot
July 20th 07, 05:40 PM
I have to agree changing things now is just going to cause problems. Really
I couldn't imagine just cleaning the box every other day. I have 3 cats and
I scoop the box twice sometimes three times a day. On more than one
occasion my watching the box and when they use it has caught a UTI before
it's gotten bad enough to be a big issue.

FYI.........Those diaper genies are a wonderful thing for both cat litter
and dog poop. Get yourself one of those and scoop more. I had someone give
me one and I'm using it in the yard with the dog poop. I'm also going to
buy one for in the house for the litter box on my next pay. I should have
bought one long ago.

Celeste

"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 20 Jul, 00:10, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "James Egan" > wrote in message
>>
>> . ..
>>
>> > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:39:59 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>>
>> >> Oh, come on! You should have been scooping their boxes at
>> >> least once a day anyway.
>>
>> > The litter changed every other day worked well for 15 years.
>> > Maybe your litter box is too small.
>>
>> You should have two boxes for two cats. Your poor cats.
>> You should consider yourself lucky that they have not begun
>> to elimnate inappropriately, given that every other day they
>> have overflowing litter boxes. Ugh.
>>
>> As for convenience, how hard is it to scoop a cat box?
>>
>> What you will find with any automatic box is that it is more
>> trouble than it is worth. And, the sound alone is enough to
>> frighten some cats away from the box and off to places you
>> do not want them to eliminate.
>
> i think the recommended number is one litter tray per cat plus one, if
> you have the space, but i certainly have one per cat; one upstairs for
> jessie and one downstairs for terri which they seem to stick to.
>
> at theri old age i dontl think they woudl appreciate the sound of an
> automatic self cleaning litter tray, it woudl more likely scare the
> living **** of them and put them off using the tray altogether , and
> that's when you will find them doing their 'business' in some rather
> inappropriate places which is something I am sure you do not want.
> some 'modern conveniences' are not actually that convenient when it
> really comes down to it.
>
> do them a favour and stick to what they know, a normal tray, and get
> them one each, they are too old to be havign their routines disrupted
> jsut because you can't be bothered to clean up after them a little bit
> now that they are in the twilight of their lives.
>
> bookie
>