PDA

View Full Version : 83 Cats, Iguanas Found in Stinky Home

Lynne
July 22nd 07, 04:10 PM
on Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:56:58 GMT, "Dzlman95" > wrote:

> The woman could face misdemeanor animal neglect charges but had not been
> cited as of Wednesday afternoon, Stosuy said.

I'm not convinced charges of neglect apply if they are healthy and well
cared for. That's not the case with most hoarders. How someone could live
with piles of feces and gallons upon gallons of uncontained urine is beyond
my imagination, though. BLEH.

--
Lynne

Dzlman95
July 22nd 07, 06:56 PM
83 Cats, Iguanas Found in Stinky Home
By Associated Press
Thu Jul 19, 2:48 PMUPDATED 19 HOURS 43 MINUTES AGO

SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. - Authorities found 83 cats, three dogs and two
iguanas inside a Ben Lomond home reeking with the stench of urine and feces.
"Imagine 83 cats living in a house with no litter boxes for two years, and
you get the general idea," said Todd Stosuy, supervising field ranger for
the Santa Cruz County Animal Services Authority.

It was one of the county's largest-ever animal hoarding cases, Animal
Services spokeswoman Tricia Geisreiter said Tuesday.

Many of the animals were taken to a shelter.

Sheriff's deputies were tipped to the animals after someone called and asked
that a deputy check on the welfare of the pets and their owner. Deputy Doug
Smith found animals throughout the small three-bedroom home and feces piled
up to 4-feet-high.

The homeowner, whose name wasn't disclosed, is still living in the house and
another 50 cats remain on the property. Animal Services officers have set
traps to catch the animals and bring them to a shelter, Geisreiter said.

The animals already brought to the shelter were described as healthy and
well-fed. The homeowner told authorities she obtained the cats through her
work with local animal rescue groups and that all the felines were spayed or
neutered.

"She was very well-intentioned. These cats are not in poor, poor condition,"
Stosuy said.

The woman could face misdemeanor animal neglect charges but had not been
cited as of Wednesday afternoon, Stosuy said.

___

Information from: Santa Cruz Sentinel, http://www.santacruzsentinal.com

Christina Websell
July 22nd 07, 09:21 PM
Lynne wrote:
> on Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:56:58 GMT, "Dzlman95" >
> wrote:
>
>> The woman could face misdemeanor animal neglect charges but had not
>> been cited as of Wednesday afternoon, Stosuy said.
>
> I'm not convinced charges of neglect apply if they are healthy and
> well cared for. That's not the case with most hoarders. How someone
> could live with piles of feces and gallons upon gallons of
> uncontained urine is beyond my imagination, though. BLEH.

I feel the same. It's so sad though.
If the cats are healthy and well fed I can't see that a charge of neglect
can stick. As for the piles of faeces, well, I certainly could not stand it
myself but is it a crime? Maybe under an environmental health law perhaps,
but it could not be brought as a case of neglect here if the cats were all
well because they are not neglected.
The state of the house has nothing to do with the law on animal neglect.

Tweed

mlbriggs
July 22nd 07, 10:51 PM
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:21:13 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

> Lynne wrote:
>> on Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:56:58 GMT, "Dzlman95" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The woman could face misdemeanor animal neglect charges but had not
>>> been cited as of Wednesday afternoon, Stosuy said.
>>
>> I'm not convinced charges of neglect apply if they are healthy and well
>> cared for. That's not the case with most hoarders. How someone could
>> live with piles of feces and gallons upon gallons of uncontained urine
>> is beyond my imagination, though. BLEH.
>
> I feel the same. It's so sad though. If the cats are healthy and well fed
> I can't see that a charge of neglect can stick. As for the piles of
> faeces, well, I certainly could not stand it myself but is it a crime?
> Maybe under an environmental health law perhaps, but it could not be
> brought as a case of neglect here if the cats were all well because they
> are not neglected.
> The state of the house has nothing to do with the law on animal neglect.
>
> Tweed

They will probably have to burn the house down to get rid of the stink.

cybercat
July 22nd 07, 11:08 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote
> I feel the same. It's so sad though.
> If the cats are healthy and well fed I can't see that a charge of neglect
> can stick. As for the piles of faeces, well, I certainly could not stand
> it myself but is it a crime? Maybe under an environmental health law
> perhaps, but it could not be brought as a case of neglect here if the cats
> were all well because they are not neglected.
> The state of the house has nothing to do with the law on animal neglect.

Well, I can see that, but it is not safe for animals to live in filth like
that,
it breeds disease. Iguana's get infections in their feet really easily and
can die of them, and cats can get all sorts of things exposed to one
another's waste, especially with the waste sitting over time and
developing God knows what.

James
July 23rd 07, 04:40 AM
On Jul 22, 6:08 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Christina Websell" > wrote
>
> > I feel the same. It's so sad though.
> > If the cats are healthy and well fed I can't see that a charge of neglect
> > can stick. As for the piles of faeces, well, I certainly could not stand
> > it myself but is it a crime? Maybe under an environmental health law
> > perhaps, but it could not be brought as a case of neglect here if the cats
> > were all well because they are not neglected.
> > The state of the house has nothing to do with the law on animal neglect.
>
> Well, I can see that, but it is not safe for animals to live in filth like
> that,
> it breeds disease. Iguana's get infections in their feet really easily and
> can die of them, and cats can get all sorts of things exposed to one
> another's waste, especially with the waste sitting over time and
> developing God knows what.

She probably got used to the smell and don't even notice it. I know
for a week I let a kit sleep with me and the pee didn't bother me till
I decide to wash the sheet and found several stains on the white
electric mattress pad under it.