PDA

View Full Version : Castration/neutering requires general anesthetic?

John Doe
July 23rd 07, 01:47 PM
I think that's what my veterinarian assistant just told me.

Is that correct, does castration require putting the cat to sleep?

Thank you.

Wendy
July 23rd 07, 03:56 PM
yes

"John Doe" > wrote in message
et...

> I think that's what my veterinarian assistant just told me.
>
> Is that correct, does castration require putting the cat to sleep?
>
> Thank you.

dgk
July 24th 07, 12:52 PM
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:47:17 GMT, John Doe >
wrote:

>I think that's what my veterinarian assistant just told me.
>
>Is that correct, does castration require putting the cat to sleep?
>
>Thank you.

You think they're going to hold still for that under any other
circumstances?

MoMo via CatKB.com
July 24th 07, 02:12 PM
A friend of a mine is a Vet Tech and she told me that where she works, they
just sedate the male cats (and numb them down there of course) and snip snip.
She said that it takes under 5 minutes to do. Each vet may do it differently
but I can't imagine they would put a cat under for an "operation" that takes
under 5 minutes. That certainly would not happen for humans.

dgk wrote:
>>I think that's what my veterinarian assistant just told me.
>>
>>Is that correct, does castration require putting the cat to sleep?
>>
>>Thank you.
>
>You think they're going to hold still for that under any other
>circumstances?

Lynne
July 25th 07, 02:09 AM
on Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:12:47 GMT, "MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> A friend of a mine is a Vet Tech and she told me that where she works,
> they just sedate the male cats (and numb them down there of course)
> and snip snip. She said that it takes under 5 minutes to do. Each vet
> may do it differently but I can't imagine they would put a cat under
> for an "operation" that takes under 5 minutes. That certainly would
> not happen for humans.

I've had 4 male cats neutered, all by different vets, and in 3 different
parts of the country. They were all 4 put under general anesthesia for the
procedure. That said, if it was an option to comfortably do the procedure
without GA, I'd be all for it.

I knew a farmer in western Virginia who used to castrate the male barn cats
himself. Yes, he was a bit insane, but the cats fared well. He drugged
them up with something from the vet first, snipped the scrotum, pulled out
and cut the testicles, stitched 'em up and they were all done. (His
descriptions were horrifying to me at the time.) The cats were up and
running around the same day.

So this makes me wonder why more vets don't offer the scenario your friend
described to you; a middle ground between farmer surgery and general
anesthesia?

--
Lynne