PDA

View Full Version : female feral stray terrified of people

John Doe
July 23rd 07, 08:36 PM
I've been told that a stray female cat I took off of the street acts
terrified of people because she was abused/brutalized/tortured. I'm
wondering if maybe a feral cat, a cat that has never had human
contact, also might act paranoid? She seems to be afraid of artificial
light.

She should be spayed, but I can't even get close without causing
extreme tension, manifest/shown by hissing and spitting. She's made
little progress in the two months she's been inside, but the progress
is extremely slow and subtle.

She likes other cats, or at least can tolerate tomcats playfully
jumping around her, observed when she was outside. Yesterday I pulled
a reasonably friendly tomcat off of the street, of course diligently
keeping them separated until he is castrated. I'm wondering castration
will do for their eventual relationship. Will see. My last stray male
was castrated before being taken in and he was about the best pet a
person can have, very playful/friendly/attentive. Unfortunately, my
female hated him.

Hopefully, eventually, she can display some sort of reasonable/active
life in captivity.

Thank you.

Rhonda[_3_]
July 24th 07, 05:00 AM
Hi there,

That's good of you to help the cats.

How did you catch the female? Were you able to touch her? Usually an
adult feral will not let you anywhere close to them. She could be hiding
because she has a medical issue. Maybe you could try a feliway diffuser
or something to help her calm down and get her into a carrier. She needs
to get to the vet somehow, at the very least for a check-up and shots.
Can you get her into a carrier somehow?

After she has a medical okay and is spayed, you can work more at
building her trust. She may always be skittish and hide, but perhaps
come out at night. Many former ferals learn to be happy inside with
people, even though they are not like a cat raised with people from birth.

Good luck,

Rhonda

John Doe wrote:
> I've been told that a stray female cat I took off of the street acts
> terrified of people because she was abused/brutalized/tortured. I'm
> wondering if maybe a feral cat, a cat that has never had human
> contact, also might act paranoid? She seems to be afraid of artificial
> light.
>
> She should be spayed, but I can't even get close without causing
> extreme tension, manifest/shown by hissing and spitting. She's made
> little progress in the two months she's been inside, but the progress
> is extremely slow and subtle.
>
> She likes other cats, or at least can tolerate tomcats playfully
> jumping around her, observed when she was outside. Yesterday I pulled
> a reasonably friendly tomcat off of the street, of course diligently
> keeping them separated until he is castrated. I'm wondering castration
> will do for their eventual relationship. Will see. My last stray male
> was castrated before being taken in and he was about the best pet a
> person can have, very playful/friendly/attentive. Unfortunately, my
> female hated him.
>
> Hopefully, eventually, she can display some sort of reasonable/active
> life in captivity.
>
> Thank you.

John Doe
July 24th 07, 07:29 AM
Rhonda > wrote:

> How did you catch the female?

She was very hungry. I put some premium wet food about 2 feet inside
of my door. She reluctantly popped in and out each time getting closer
to the food bowl. I was away from the door with an eight-foot 2x4
between me and the back of the door. When she got up the nerve to gulp
some of the food, I just pushed on the 2x4 to close the door. That
method works great, at least the first time.

> Usually an adult feral will not let you anywhere close to them.

Seems like maybe how an adult wildcat would act if caught and put into
captivity.

There is a Siamese-like tomcat in the neighborhood. I caught him and
kept him for a few days until he escaped. Very strong animal. About 12
hours into captivity, somehow I convinced him to act cuddly, long
enough to apply a full dose of Advantage. It was strange. I could
scratch his head, pet him, and direct his (hard) body movement with my
hand. It was like he thought I was a female cat. After about six hours
of that, maybe after reducing the premium food, he let me know the
friendship was over.

> Many former ferals learn to be happy inside with people, even though
> they are not like a cat raised with people from birth.

Yup, it's new to me, but that's the way it is.

If the male is friendly to me (so far so good) and can communicate
with her, it might work out okay.

I guess ferels don't play much.

Thanks for the tip about ferels coming out at night. Sometime maybe I
will set up a camera to watch for her activity when I'm sleeping.

> Good luck,
>
> Rhonda

MARK BENDER/JOHN DOE LIVES AT 509 FROST TX 78201
July 24th 07, 01:54 PM
John Doe wrote:
> I've been told that a stray female cat I took off of the street acts
> terrified of people because she was abused/brutalized/tortured. I'm
> wondering if maybe a feral cat, a cat that has never had human
> contact, also might act paranoid? She seems to be afraid of artificial
> light.
>
> She should be spayed, but I can't even get close without causing
> extreme tension, manifest/shown by hissing and spitting. She's made
> little progress in the two months she's been inside, but the progress
> is extremely slow and subtle.
>
> She likes other cats, or at least can tolerate tomcats playfully
> jumping around her, observed when she was outside. Yesterday I pulled
> a reasonably friendly tomcat off of the street, of course diligently
> keeping them separated until he is castrated. I'm wondering castration
> will do for their eventual relationship. Will see. My last stray male
> was castrated before being taken in and he was about the best pet a
> person can have, very playful/friendly/attentive. Unfortunately, my
> female hated him.
>
> Hopefully, eventually, she can display some sort of reasonable/active
> life in captivity.
>
> Thank you.

MARK BENDER AKA JOHN DOE IS A TROLL AND PEDOFILE

FOR VERIFICATION OF HIS ADDRESS/IDENTITY, CROSS-REFERENCE THE POST IN
THE LINK BELOW WITH A GOOGLE SEARCH FOR "MARK BENDER SAN ANTONIO:

http://tinyurl.com/2aaeyl

A PEDOFILE LIVING AT 509 FROST TX 78201 (210) 734-3107.

WHAT A SICK SACK OF ****ING ****.