PDA

View Full Version : Cat scratched off fur due to new collar

FourCatServant
July 25th 07, 12:06 PM
Hello,

I am the proud servant of four rescued cats. They are my children and I am
distraught due to one of my cats reaction to a collar. I recently purchased
collars and tags and a week after placing them on all four one has ripped
alll his fur off of two large spots where the collar rested.

I am beside myself. It looks horrific. I would appreciate any feed back on my
situation. Especially any advice pertaining to expediting his recovery. Thank
you for your time.

cybercat
July 25th 07, 01:54 PM
"FourCatServant" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hello,
>
> I am the proud servant of four rescued cats. They are my children and I am
> distraught due to one of my cats reaction to a collar. I recently
> purchased
> collars and tags and a week after placing them on all four one has ripped
> alll his fur off of two large spots where the collar rested.
>
> I am beside myself. It looks horrific. I would appreciate any feed back on
> my
> situation. Especially any advice pertaining to expediting his recovery.
> Thank
> you for your time.

Why do your cats need collars?

MaryL
July 25th 07, 02:31 PM
"FourCatServant" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hello,
>
> I am the proud servant of four rescued cats. They are my children and I am
> distraught due to one of my cats reaction to a collar. I recently
> purchased
> collars and tags and a week after placing them on all four one has ripped
> alll his fur off of two large spots where the collar rested.
>
> I am beside myself. It looks horrific. I would appreciate any feed back on
> my
> situation. Especially any advice pertaining to expediting his recovery.
> Thank
> you for your time.

Are these flea collars? If so, your cat may be reacting to the medication.
Get rid of any flea collars immediately! They are not good for the cat, and
it also is not an effective treatment for fleas. If fleas are the problem,
*do not* use any over-the-counter preparation. Contact your vet for a
preparation such as Advantage or Frontline.

It is better not to use any collars at all. If you do use collars, make
sure they are the breakaway type. They are designed to easily break apart
so the cat cannot get hung up on something.

Was the fur simply scratched or rubbed off, or did this actually create sore
or raw spots (which is what I suspect)? If it is the latter, I would want
to have a vet look at the area because you don't want that to become a place
for infection. It's not clear to me if this is a new adoption or if you
have had all four cats for awhile. If it is recent, all of the cats should
be vetted and spayed/neutered spayed/neutered immediately (if that has not
already been done). Since you say they are your children (that's how I look
at mine, too), I'm going to assume that these are not new adoptions and that
my last suggestion has already been taken care of.

MaryL

FourCatServant
July 25th 07, 02:33 PM
cybercat wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>> Thank
>> you for your time.
>
>Why do your cats need collars?

My boyfriend is in the military and we were suppose to return to the states
so I was testing the collars for transport. Needless to say I have removed
all their collars. I am doing my best to keep an eye on the injured one but I
am afraid he is just going to continue for mowing the same spot.

FourCatServant
July 25th 07, 02:51 PM
Thank you so much for your response. The collars are just ID tags. I have
removed them. But I am very afraid of a superfical infection. All four are
indoor cats. I have had them for over a year. I adopted them when they were 4-
6 weeks old. They had many health issue at first. Fleas, parasites, ear mites,
sinus infections. It took me three months numerous vet visits, constant
medication and care to get them to the healthy, rambunctious trouble making
place they are now. I just hate seing him looking manged. Tiger the one
injured right now is sort of my little side kick. He was the worst one in the
beginning. Now he pulls the string on the ceiling fan in the morning to wake
me up and serve his breakfast .

MaryL wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>> Thank
>> you for your time.
>
>Are these flea collars? If so, your cat may be reacting to the medication.
>Get rid of any flea collars immediately! They are not good for the cat, and
>it also is not an effective treatment for fleas. If fleas are the problem,
>*do not* use any over-the-counter preparation. Contact your vet for a
>preparation such as Advantage or Frontline.
>
>It is better not to use any collars at all. If you do use collars, make
>sure they are the breakaway type. They are designed to easily break apart
>so the cat cannot get hung up on something.
>
>Was the fur simply scratched or rubbed off, or did this actually create sore
>or raw spots (which is what I suspect)? If it is the latter, I would want
>to have a vet look at the area because you don't want that to become a place
>for infection. It's not clear to me if this is a new adoption or if you
>have had all four cats for awhile. If it is recent, all of the cats should
>be vetted and spayed/neutered spayed/neutered immediately (if that has not
>already been done). Since you say they are your children (that's how I look
>at mine, too), I'm going to assume that these are not new adoptions and that
>my last suggestion has already been taken care of.
>
>MaryL

cybercat
July 25th 07, 02:56 PM
"FourCatServant" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> cybercat wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>> Thank
>>> you for your time.
>>
>>Why do your cats need collars?
>
> My boyfriend is in the military and we were suppose to return to the
> states
> so I was testing the collars for transport.

I see. That makes sense. Will they have to be quarantined?

Needless to say I have removed
> all their collars. I am doing my best to keep an eye on the injured one
> but I
> am afraid he is just going to continue for mowing the same spot.

I have a cat with allergies and who licks/bites her fur off when she gets
upset. I think your baby needs to see a vet. Good luck.

cybercat
July 25th 07, 03:00 PM
"FourCatServant" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Thank you so much for your response. The collars are just ID tags. I have
> removed them. But I am very afraid of a superfical infection. All four are
> indoor cats. I have had them for over a year. I adopted them when they
> were 4-
> 6 weeks old. They had many health issue at first. Fleas, parasites, ear
> mites,
> sinus infections. It took me three months numerous vet visits, constant
> medication and care to get them to the healthy, rambunctious trouble
> making
> place they are now. I just hate seing him looking manged.

Bless you, you sound like a great cat Mom! These are lucky cats. Are they
siblings?

Tiger the one
> injured right now is sort of my little side kick. He was the worst one in
> the
> beginning. Now he pulls the string on the ceiling fan in the morning to
> wake
> me up and serve his breakfast .

This is really cute! Don't worry too much, he will heal. If you don't feed
canned food, you might think about it, the extra protein helps them, and
cats are often allergic to the grains in dry food, and that can make them
itchy. My cat needs a steroid shot (Depo Medrol) a few times a year
to keep her allergies controlled. Hopefully your cat was just allergic
to something in the collar and the removal of the allergen is all he needs.

Please let us know how he progresses, and welcome to the group.

FourCatServant
July 25th 07, 03:15 PM
Thank you for the wonderful welcome. Simba and Nala are siblings brown
tabbies, Tiger a sand color tabby with matching eyes, Alba a tuxedo cat with
a grumpy old man disposition.

Appreciate the flattery of being a cat MOM. I will up his wet food. I usually
switch it up wet and dry for some variety.

cybercat wrote:
>> Thank you so much for your response. The collars are just ID tags. I have
>> removed them. But I am very afraid of a superfical infection. All four are
>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
>> making
>> place they are now. I just hate seing him looking manged.
>
>Bless you, you sound like a great cat Mom! These are lucky cats. Are they
>siblings?
>
>Tiger the one
>> injured right now is sort of my little side kick. He was the worst one in
>> the
>> beginning. Now he pulls the string on the ceiling fan in the morning to
>> wake
>> me up and serve his breakfast .
>
>This is really cute! Don't worry too much, he will heal. If you don't feed
>canned food, you might think about it, the extra protein helps them, and
>cats are often allergic to the grains in dry food, and that can make them
>itchy. My cat needs a steroid shot (Depo Medrol) a few times a year
>to keep her allergies controlled. Hopefully your cat was just allergic
>to something in the collar and the removal of the allergen is all he needs.
>
>Please let us know how he progresses, and welcome to the group.

bookie
July 25th 07, 07:35 PM
On 25 Jul, 12:06, "FourCatServant" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am the proud servant of four rescued cats. They are my children and I am
> distraught due to one of my cats reaction to a collar. I recently purchased
> collars and tags and a week after placing them on all four one has ripped
> alll his fur off of two large spots where the collar rested.
>
> I am beside myself. It looks horrific. I would appreciate any feed back on my
> situation. Especially any advice pertaining to expediting his recovery. Thank
> you for your time.

dont; put collars on them, microchip them or something, not natural to
put collars on cats, they dont; like obviously and they could easily
hang themselves from a collar if it got snagged on a tree or something

i dont put collars on my cats, never have and never will, barbaric
practise in my view

bookie

Matthew
July 25th 07, 07:55 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 25 Jul, 12:06, "FourCatServant" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am the proud servant of four rescued cats. They are my children and I
>> am
>> distraught due to one of my cats reaction to a collar. I recently
>> purchased
>> collars and tags and a week after placing them on all four one has ripped
>> alll his fur off of two large spots where the collar rested.
>>
>> I am beside myself. It looks horrific. I would appreciate any feed back
>> on my
>> situation. Especially any advice pertaining to expediting his recovery.
>> Thank
>> you for your time.
>
> dont; put collars on them, microchip them or something, not natural to
> put collars on cats, they dont; like obviously and they could easily
> hang themselves from a collar if it got snagged on a tree or something
>
> i dont put collars on my cats, never have and never will, barbaric
> practise in my view
>
> bookie
that is what they make break way collars for.

A few of us were worried about you Glad to see you are ok

FourCatServant via CatKB.com
July 25th 07, 08:00 PM
I am currently in a country that does not give a microchip option. I plan to
do that when I get back to the states. I did purchase breakaway collars.
During transport back to the states they will ned to wear them for the 24
hour period. But that is it.

bookie wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
>> situation. Especially any advice pertaining to expediting his recovery. Thank
>> you for your time.
>
>dont; put collars on them, microchip them or something, not natural to
>put collars on cats, they dont; like obviously and they could easily
>hang themselves from a collar if it got snagged on a tree or something
>
>i dont put collars on my cats, never have and never will, barbaric
>practise in my view
>
>bookie

Matthew
July 25th 07, 08:12 PM
From what I read in your other post it sounds like a allergic reaction to
the collar
I would clean the area really well. Try some Vaseline in the area.
I would get another collar brand after it heals and try it again. If the
furballs reacts the same way again. It is the cat and you may need to have
deal with it till transport is over.

How thin is the collar If it is thin I would go with a wider band so it
does not feel as if something is scuffing them

Good luck and welcome to the group

"FourCatServant via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I am currently in a country that does not give a microchip option. I plan
> do that when I get back to the states. I did purchase breakaway collars.
> During transport back to the states they will ned to wear them for the 24
> hour period. But that is it.
>
> bookie wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
>>> situation. Especially any advice pertaining to expediting his recovery.
>>> Thank
>>> you for your time.
>>
>>dont; put collars on them, microchip them or something, not natural to
>>put collars on cats, they dont; like obviously and they could easily
>>hang themselves from a collar if it got snagged on a tree or something
>>
>>i dont put collars on my cats, never have and never will, barbaric
>>practise in my view
>>
>>bookie

FourCatServant via CatKB.com
July 25th 07, 08:24 PM
I cleaned the wound with warm water and a cotton ball. Is there anything else
I should clean it with? What will happen when my cat tries to lick the
vaseline off? I am wondering about the side effects of digesting the vaseline?

Thanks for your help!

Matthew wrote:
>From what I read in your other post it sounds like a allergic reaction to
>the collar
>I would clean the area really well. Try some Vaseline in the area.
>I would get another collar brand after it heals and try it again. If the
>furballs reacts the same way again. It is the cat and you may need to have
>deal with it till transport is over.
>
>How thin is the collar If it is thin I would go with a wider band so it
>does not feel as if something is scuffing them
>
>Good luck and welcome to the group
>
>>I am currently in a country that does not give a microchip option. I plan
>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
>>>
>>>bookie

CatNipped[_2_]
July 25th 07, 09:45 PM
"FourCatServant via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I cleaned the wound with warm water and a cotton ball. Is there anything
>else
> I should clean it with? What will happen when my cat tries to lick the
> vaseline off? I am wondering about the side effects of digesting the
> vaseline?

Vaseline is an inert substance and should cause no harm - a lot of people
use it for hairball problems.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Thanks for your help!
>
> Matthew wrote:
>>From what I read in your other post it sounds like a allergic reaction to
>>the collar
>>I would clean the area really well. Try some Vaseline in the area.
>>I would get another collar brand after it heals and try it again. If the
>>furballs reacts the same way again. It is the cat and you may need to
>>have
>>deal with it till transport is over.
>>
>>How thin is the collar If it is thin I would go with a wider band so it
>>does not feel as if something is scuffing them
>>
>>Good luck and welcome to the group
>>
>>>I am currently in a country that does not give a microchip option. I plan
>>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

Matthew
July 25th 07, 10:18 PM
"FourCatServant via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I cleaned the wound with warm water and a cotton ball. Is there anything
>else
> I should clean it with? What will happen when my cat tries to lick the
> vaseline off? I am wondering about the side effects of digesting the
> vaseline?
>

> Thanks for your help!

You are welcome Forget teh cotton ball it can leave filament use a lint
free cloth instead. vaseline is fine
Cats naturaly lick their wounds all it does is speed the healing process

> Matthew wrote:
>>From what I read in your other post it sounds like a allergic reaction to
>>the collar
>>I would clean the area really well. Try some Vaseline in the area.
>>I would get another collar brand after it heals and try it again. If the
>>furballs reacts the same way again. It is the cat and you may need to
>>have
>>deal with it till transport is over.
>>
>>How thin is the collar If it is thin I would go with a wider band so it
>>does not feel as if something is scuffing them
>>
>>Good luck and welcome to the group
>>
>>>I am currently in a country that does not give a microchip option. I plan
>>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

FourCatServant via CatKB.com
July 25th 07, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the tips. I just implemented the last tips you gave me. The other
3 cats are intrigued by the vaseline. It was a good laugh that I needed.

Matthew wrote:
>>I cleaned the wound with warm water and a cotton ball. Is there anything
>>else
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>
>You are welcome Forget teh cotton ball it can leave filament use a lint
>free cloth instead. vaseline is fine
>Cats naturaly lick their wounds all it does is speed the healing process
>
>>>From what I read in your other post it sounds like a allergic reaction to
>>>the collar
>[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

bookie
July 25th 07, 11:05 PM
On 25 Jul, 20:24, "FourCatServant via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I cleaned the wound with warm water and a cotton ball. Is there anything else
> I should clean it with? What will happen when my cat tries to lick the
> vaseline off? I am wondering about the side effects of digesting the vaseline?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>

> Matthew wrote:
> >From what I read in your other post it sounds like a allergic reaction to
> >the collar
> >I would clean the area really well. Try some Vaseline in the area.
> >I would get another collar brand after it heals and try it again. If the
> >furballs reacts the same way again. It is the cat and you may need to have
> >deal with it till transport is over.
>
> >How thin is the collar If it is thin I would go with a wider band so it
> >does not feel as if something is scuffing them
>
> >Good luck and welcome to the group
>
> >>I am currently in a country that does not give a microchip option. I plan
> >[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

you can also bathe the area in saline solution, harmless to the cat
really (just water and salt) but has mild antiseptic properties. just
basically a saturated salt solution (just add salt to some water until
no more will dossolve in it), might sting a bit but won't do any
damage as such and will help to clean the affected area

poor sausage

FourCatServant via CatKB.com
July 26th 07, 03:23 PM
I am going to the vet today. This morning I woke up and went to clean and
oint his wounds and TADAH new wound. He scratch a deep gas on the small
tender skin in front of his ear. I checked his ear no mites. So all I can
guess is that he is in severe discomfort and I hope the doc can aid me in
relieving it.

bookie wrote:
>> I cleaned the wound with warm water and a cotton ball. Is there anything else
>> I should clean it with? What will happen when my cat tries to lick the
>[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]

>you can also bathe the area in saline solution, harmless to the cat
>really (just water and salt) but has mild antiseptic properties. just
>basically a saturated salt solution (just add salt to some water until
>no more will dossolve in it), might sting a bit but won't do any
>damage as such and will help to clean the affected area
>
>poor sausage

Matthew
July 26th 07, 05:46 PM
Is the collar still on

"FourCatServant via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I am going to the vet today. This morning I woke up and went to clean and
> oint his wounds and TADAH new wound. He scratch a deep gas on the small
> tender skin in front of his ear. I checked his ear no mites. So all I can
> guess is that he is in severe discomfort and I hope the doc can aid me in
> relieving it.
>
> bookie wrote:
>>> I cleaned the wound with warm water and a cotton ball. Is there anything
>>> else
>>> I should clean it with? What will happen when my cat tries to lick the
>>[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]

>>you can also bathe the area in saline solution, harmless to the cat
>>really (just water and salt) but has mild antiseptic properties. just
>>basically a saturated salt solution (just add salt to some water until
>>no more will dossolve in it), might sting a bit but won't do any
>>damage as such and will help to clean the affected area
>>
>>poor sausage

MaryL
July 26th 07, 08:55 PM
"FourCatServant via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I am going to the vet today. This morning I woke up and went to clean and
> oint his wounds and TADAH new wound. He scratch a deep gas on the small
> tender skin in front of his ear. I checked his ear no mites. So all I can
> guess is that he is in severe discomfort and I hope the doc can aid me in
> relieving it.

Cats will sometimes scratch at areas that are irritated and thereby cause
still more wounds and discomfort. If this seems to be the problem, ask your
vet about an Elizabethan collar. Cats don't like them, but they do prevent
a cat from scratching at the face and neck areas.

MaryL

FourCatServant via CatKB.com
August 1st 07, 02:15 PM
Sorry about the gap in my response time. My mother came to visit. My Tigger
is doing great. I took him to the vet and she said we should hold off on the
collar since the cause was a foreign object. Twice a day I clean the areas
with an iodine solution than rub in Betnovate. An anti itch cream that is
living up to description. Since I have implemented this routine he has licked
his wounds but has not reopened them. YAH...There is already hair growing
back.

MaryL wrote:
>>I am going to the vet today. This morning I woke up and went to clean and
>> oint his wounds and TADAH new wound. He scratch a deep gas on the small
>> tender skin in front of his ear. I checked his ear no mites. So all I can
>> guess is that he is in severe discomfort and I hope the doc can aid me in
>> relieving it.
>
>Cats will sometimes scratch at areas that are irritated and thereby cause
>still more wounds and discomfort. If this seems to be the problem, ask your
>vet about an Elizabethan collar. Cats don't like them, but they do prevent
>a cat from scratching at the face and neck areas.
>
>MaryL

Sheelagh >o
August 1st 07, 04:38 PM
On 1 Aug, 14:15, "FourCatServant via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sorry about the gap in my response time. My mother came to visit. My Tigger
> is doing great. I took him to the vet and she said we should hold off on the
> collar since the cause was a foreign object. Twice a day I clean the areas
> with an iodine solution than rub in Betnovate. An anti itch cream that is
> living up to description. Since I have implemented this routine he has licked
> his wounds but has not reopened them. YAH...There is already hair growing
> back.
>
> MaryL wrote:
> >>I am going to the vet today. This morning I woke up and went to clean and
> >> oint his wounds and TADAH new wound. He scratch a deep gas on the small
> >> tender skin in front of his ear. I checked his ear no mites. So all I can
> >> guess is that he is in severe discomfort and I hope the doc can aid me in
> >> relieving it.
>
> >Cats will sometimes scratch at areas that are irritated and thereby cause
> >still more wounds and discomfort. If this seems to be the problem, ask your
> >vet about an Elizabethan collar. Cats don't like them, but they do prevent
> >a cat from scratching at the face and neck areas.
>
> >MaryL

This, is excellent news indeed. Even if it hasn't produced a miracle
cure, you are both leaning towards the right direction & it looks like
although it is a slow process, it seems to be working for you both.
Sometimes the slower cures are ultimately the best cures. Thanks for
re posting about this story. It is great when people do come back to
let us know how things went. Thank you very much :o)
Sheelagh >"o"<