PDA

View Full Version : It didn't work out! :<

CatNipped[_2_]
July 25th 07, 10:20 PM
I've been talking with the owner of the rescue group I got Tayla from since
Monday. She hasn't been able to come up with anything either and I think we
both came to the agreement that Tayla has to be an "only cat". Tayla will
be going back to the fosterer's house Thursday night for re-adoption into a
single cat household.

Ben and I are both sick about this, but we can't see having our 9, 8, and
3-yr-olds having to live in fear under the bed or taking the chance of
having the kittens seriously hurt.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters here: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

cybercat
July 25th 07, 10:39 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> I've been talking with the owner of the rescue group I got Tayla from
> since Monday. She hasn't been able to come up with anything either and I
> think we both came to the agreement that Tayla has to be an "only cat".
> Tayla will be going back to the fosterer's house Thursday night for
> re-adoption into a single cat household.
>
> Ben and I are both sick about this, but we can't see having our 9, 8, and
> 3-yr-olds having to live in fear under the bed or taking the chance of
> having the kittens seriously hurt.

CN, I know this was a hard decision for you to make, but from reading your
descriptions of her behavior, I think this hard decision was the right one.
She is so sweet with people, she will approach someone and they will
fall in love just as you did. And you have done a service to the shelter
and to Tayla and her future owner by discovering that she will do better
in a one-cat household. I am glad you're strong enough to do the right
thing.

Matthew
July 25th 07, 10:41 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> I've been talking with the owner of the rescue group I got Tayla from
> since Monday. She hasn't been able to come up with anything either and I
> think we both came to the agreement that Tayla has to be an "only cat".
> Tayla will be going back to the fosterer's house Thursday night for
> re-adoption into a single cat household.
>
> Ben and I are both sick about this, but we can't see having our 9, 8, and
> 3-yr-olds having to live in fear under the bed or taking the chance of
> having the kittens seriously hurt.
>
> --
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters here: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/
I am sorry you have to do that cat but only you know what is best for your
pack. You are there we are not ;-)

cindys
July 25th 07, 11:11 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> I've been talking with the owner of the rescue group I got Tayla from
> since Monday. She hasn't been able to come up with anything either and I
> think we both came to the agreement that Tayla has to be an "only cat".
> Tayla will be going back to the fosterer's house Thursday night for
> re-adoption into a single cat household.
>
> Ben and I are both sick about this, but we can't see having our 9, 8, and
> 3-yr-olds having to live in fear under the bed or taking the chance of
> having the kittens seriously hurt.
----------
I'm so sorry. I know your heart must be breaking. But at least Tayla will
get a happy home where she can be spoiled rotten as an only cat, and the
other cats in your family will be able to breathe easy.
Hugs.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Rhonda[_3_]
July 26th 07, 07:13 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>
>>I've been talking with the owner of the rescue group I got Tayla from
>>since Monday. She hasn't been able to come up with anything either and I
>>think we both came to the agreement that Tayla has to be an "only cat".
>>Tayla will be going back to the fosterer's house Thursday night for
>>re-adoption into a single cat household.
>>
>>Ben and I are both sick about this, but we can't see having our 9, 8, and
>>3-yr-olds having to live in fear under the bed or taking the chance of
>>having the kittens seriously hurt.
>
> CN, I know this was a hard decision for you to make, but from reading your
> descriptions of her behavior, I think this hard decision was the right one.
> She is so sweet with people, she will approach someone and they will
> fall in love just as you did. And you have done a service to the shelter
> and to Tayla and her future owner by discovering that she will do better
> in a one-cat household. I am glad you're strong enough to do the right
> thing.

But she has only tried to integrate them for the last 5 days. She was
separated from the others until then.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I just wished she would
stay calm and allow some more time. Bringing home 3 cats at once is
going to take some adjusting on everyone's part.

Sammy may well have been hiding under the bed BECAUSE she was sick. Cats
do that. She may even have caught a virus from the kittens.

I think though that the decision is done and Tayla will be going back to
the shelter.

Rhonda

Sheelagh >o
July 26th 07, 03:05 PM
On 25 Jul, 22:20, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> I've been talking with the owner of the rescue group I got Tayla from since
> Monday. She hasn't been able to come up with anything either and I think we
> both came to the agreement that Tayla has to be an "only cat". Tayla will
> be going back to the fosterer's house Thursday night for re-adoption into a
> single cat household.
>
> Ben and I are both sick about this, but we can't see having our 9, 8, and
> 3-yr-olds having to live in fear under the bed or taking the chance of
> having the kittens seriously hurt.
>
> --
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters here:http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

I feel for you. It can't have been an easy decision to make. I
understand Rhonda's reasons, but @ the same time, I also understand
that you are worride about the effect this will have in the long term,
on your present residents that you already have living with you. (or,
should I say that they allow you to reside with them?!!)
I hope that Tayla finds the home that she needs soon, & purrs of
comfort to you all for having to make this difficult decision.

Sheelagh >"o"<

bookie
July 26th 07, 03:14 PM
On 25 Jul, 22:20, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> I've been talking with the owner of the rescue group I got Tayla from since
> Monday. She hasn't been able to come up with anything either and I think we
> both came to the agreement that Tayla has to be an "only cat". Tayla will
> be going back to the fosterer's house Thursday night for re-adoption into a
> single cat household.
>
> Ben and I are both sick about this, but we can't see having our 9, 8, and
> 3-yr-olds having to live in fear under the bed or taking the chance of
> having the kittens seriously hurt.
>
> --
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters here:http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

that is a real shame and I am sure you have thought long and hard
about this, but in the end it really is the best thing to do for all
the cats concerned and it is them you have to think about first.

she will find a lovely hom ewith a pair of well-trained human slaves
soon enough

bookie

cybercat
July 26th 07, 11:38 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote
> But she has only tried to integrate them for the last 5 days. She was
> separated from the others until then.
>
> I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I just wished she would stay
> calm and allow some more time. Bringing home 3 cats at once is going to
> take some adjusting on everyone's part.
>
> Sammy may well have been hiding under the bed BECAUSE she was sick. Cats
> do that. She may even have caught a virus from the kittens.
>
> I think though that the decision is done and Tayla will be going back to
> the shelter.

I acknowledge your points, Rhonda, and they are all good.

I have a feeling--and I may be wrong--that although good intentioned,
CN has bitten off a bit more than she can chew. Even without the
aggression problem, six cats is a lot of cats. CN is a bright person,
if it seems to her that Tayla is good with people but not other cats,
why not let her be an only cat somewhere? At least she is at a no-kill
shelter. (It is heartbreaking for CN, too, I know it is. If she had three
cats, it might not be such an issue, but with six, two of them kittens? I
surely could not handle that.)

Matthew
July 26th 07, 11:46 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Rhonda" > wrote
>> But she has only tried to integrate them for the last 5 days. She was
>> separated from the others until then.
>>
>> I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I just wished she would
>> stay calm and allow some more time. Bringing home 3 cats at once is going
>> to take some adjusting on everyone's part.
>>
>> Sammy may well have been hiding under the bed BECAUSE she was sick. Cats
>> do that. She may even have caught a virus from the kittens.
>>
>> I think though that the decision is done and Tayla will be going back to
>> the shelter.
>>

> I acknowledge your points, Rhonda, and they are all good.
>
> I have a feeling--and I may be wrong--that although good intentioned,
> CN has bitten off a bit more than she can chew. Even without the
> aggression problem, six cats is a lot of cats. CN is a bright person,
> if it seems to her that Tayla is good with people but not other cats,
> why not let her be an only cat somewhere? At least she is at a no-kill
> shelter. (It is heartbreaking for CN, too, I know it is. If she had three
> cats, it might not be such an issue, but with six, two of them kittens? I
> surely could not handle that.)
Tell me about it
Matthew owned by a six pack one being a princess the others being little
@#[email protected]

CatNipped
July 27th 07, 01:42 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Rhonda" > wrote
>> But she has only tried to integrate them for the last 5 days. She was
>> separated from the others until then.
>>
>> I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I just wished she would
>> stay calm and allow some more time. Bringing home 3 cats at once is going
>> to take some adjusting on everyone's part.
>>
>> Sammy may well have been hiding under the bed BECAUSE she was sick. Cats
>> do that. She may even have caught a virus from the kittens.
>>
>> I think though that the decision is done and Tayla will be going back to
>> the shelter.
>>

> I acknowledge your points, Rhonda, and they are all good.
>
> I have a feeling--and I may be wrong--that although good intentioned,
> CN has bitten off a bit more than she can chew. Even without the
> aggression problem, six cats is a lot of cats. CN is a bright person,
> if it seems to her that Tayla is good with people but not other cats,
> why not let her be an only cat somewhere? At least she is at a no-kill
> shelter. (It is heartbreaking for CN, too, I know it is. If she had three
> cats, it might not be such an issue, but with six, two of them kittens? I
> surely could not handle that.)

I hate to admit it, but I think you're right. Ben and I were still in the
worst part of the grieving process for Bandit and I don't think we really
thought it through very well. We were trying to fill a void that, had we
stopped to consider for a moment, could not ever be filled - and in the
process we did a disservice to everyone involved! :<

Hugs,

CatNipped

Rhonda[_3_]
July 27th 07, 05:44 AM
CatNipped wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
>>"Rhonda" > wrote
>>
>>>But she has only tried to integrate them for the last 5 days. She was
>>>separated from the others until then.
>>>
>>>I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I just wished she would
>>>stay calm and allow some more time. Bringing home 3 cats at once is going
>>>to take some adjusting on everyone's part.
>>>
>>>Sammy may well have been hiding under the bed BECAUSE she was sick. Cats
>>>do that. She may even have caught a virus from the kittens.
>>>
>>>I think though that the decision is done and Tayla will be going back to
>>>the shelter.
>>
>>I acknowledge your points, Rhonda, and they are all good.
>>
>>I have a feeling--and I may be wrong--that although good intentioned,
>>CN has bitten off a bit more than she can chew. Even without the
>>aggression problem, six cats is a lot of cats. CN is a bright person,
>>if it seems to her that Tayla is good with people but not other cats,
>>why not let her be an only cat somewhere? At least she is at a no-kill
>>shelter. (It is heartbreaking for CN, too, I know it is. If she had three
>>cats, it might not be such an issue, but with six, two of them kittens? I
>>surely could not handle that.)
>
> I hate to admit it, but I think you're right. Ben and I were still in the
> worst part of the grieving process for Bandit and I don't think we really
> thought it through very well. We were trying to fill a void that, had we
> stopped to consider for a moment, could not ever be filled - and in the
> process we did a disservice to everyone involved! :<

CC and CN, I think you're right. I think CN is in an impulsive and
emotional state, which is not always a bad thing, but is not what is
needed for a tricky integration. Bringing home 3 cats was a risk and
would be a real miracle had it gone 100% smoothly. There were a lot of
factors that needed to come together with time and patience and
calmness, and it does not sound like you were in the right emotional
place at this time for the challenge.

I still think Tayla could fit in over the long-run, but it would take a
big commitment and lots of patience and attention on your part. It
sounds like you did not realize the extent of the issues that could come
with the package of 3.

I have my fingers crossed for Tayla.

Rhonda

cybercat
July 27th 07, 11:40 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote

> I have my fingers crossed for Tayla.

Me too, and I know this is hard for CN. As all of you longtimers know,
I can get crazy over cats getting returned to shelters (recalling a big red
boy with a UTI from years ago ... *cringe*) but in this case I think it is
probably best.

Tayla is so noticeably affectionate with people--her chances of getting
a home are very good, and unlike "Big Red Boy's" situation, she is being
returned to a no-kill shelter so it is unlikely that she will be euthanized.
My
Gracie was just such a young cat, having just given birth a few months
earlier, when her engaging, affectionate nature snagged me, though she
was just a regular tiny gray tabby, nothing special to look at, in a sea
of more outgoing, glamorous looking cats and kittens. I really hope
someone falls in love with Tayla and takes her home again.

CN's other cats have to be her first priority--meaning the three she had
before adopting Tayla and the boys. I guess they don't have to be, but
I think they should. Though it may have worked out, it may never have,
and six unhappy cats would not do.

I know CN feels terrible and wishes she had not offered Tayla a forever
home rather than doing so and returning her, but as you say, Rhonda, she
is still grieving and nobody can have perfect judgment all the time.

Hope the shelter people will let her know how things go with Tayla's
rehoming. Chin up, CN.

Lynne
July 28th 07, 02:35 PM
on Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:20:23 GMT, "CatNipped"
> wrote:

> I've been talking with the owner of the rescue group I got Tayla from
> since Monday. She hasn't been able to come up with anything either
> and I think we both came to the agreement that Tayla has to be an
> "only cat". Tayla will be going back to the fosterer's house Thursday
> night for re-adoption into a single cat household.
>
> Ben and I are both sick about this, but we can't see having our 9, 8,
> and 3-yr-olds having to live in fear under the bed or taking the
> chance of having the kittens seriously hurt.

Aw, CatNipped, I'm so sorry. I'm sure this was a very difficult decision,
and one that you made carefully. Don't beat yourself up over it.

How are things in the household now?

--
Lynne

Lynne
July 28th 07, 02:37 PM
on Fri, 27 Jul 2007 04:44:30 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

> It
> sounds like you did not realize the extent of the issues that could come
> with the package of 3.

It's definitely not something I will *ever* undertake.

> I have my fingers crossed for Tayla.

Same here.

--
Lynne

Lynne
July 28th 07, 02:38 PM
on Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:40:24 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Hope the shelter people will let her know how things go with Tayla's
> rehoming. Chin up, CN.

I hope the shelter people will be very specific to potential adopters about
Tayla needing to be an only cat, except perhaps in a very experienced cat
home.

--
Lynne

CatNipped
July 28th 07, 03:20 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:40:24 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> Hope the shelter people will let her know how things go with Tayla's
>> rehoming. Chin up, CN.
>
> I hope the shelter people will be very specific to potential adopters
> about
> Tayla needing to be an only cat, except perhaps in a very experienced cat
> home.

I kept stressing that Tayla was a *VERY* lovable and well-behaved cat around
humans, and that the *ONLY* reason she was being returned was her inability
to get along with other cats, and that she would be a *PREFECT* pet for
someone who only wanted one pet. They are pretty good there about trying to
place their cats in permanent homes (they do a *really* extensive interview
and follow-ups) so I think they will note this on her papers (some other
cats there have similar notations - there were about three "one cat only
home needed" signs - one *LESS* than were there when we adopted Tayla, so at
least one "only cat" cat got adopted).

I did find out when we were there that Tayla was brought back once before,
so I suspect there may have been similar problems and whoever brought her
back just didn't want to say why in case she couldn't get adopted again -
way wrong decision! Tayla may even be able to accept cat companionship
somewhere down the line, but I think she needs to be *well* established in a
one cat household for a good while first.

It's been a day and a half since Tayla's return and already things have
gotten *MUCH* better. As I noted in Sammy's update, she's out from under
the bed and has even ventured upstairs on her own. Jessie is starting to
play with the boyz - for an 8-year-old she is *SO* playful still (typical
tortie! ;>). Demi is out from behind her "hiding chair" and is back in her
favorite sunning spots. And the boyz are here, there, and *EVERYWHERE* (I
got a snippet of video of them playing that I'm fixing to upload). The boyz
are snuggling up with Sammy every time they want to take a nap, and she
looks up at me with a disgusted look on her face when they do, but she
doesn't get up and move and I've even caught her giving them a sneak lick
when she thought I wasn't looking.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Lynne

bobblespin[_2_]
July 28th 07, 03:28 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in
:

> "Lynne" > wrote in message
> . 97.142...
>> on Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:40:24 GMT, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hope the shelter people will let her know how things go with Tayla's
>>> rehoming. Chin up, CN.
>>
>> I hope the shelter people will be very specific to potential adopters
>> about
>> Tayla needing to be an only cat, except perhaps in a very experienced
>> cat home.
>
> I kept stressing that Tayla was a *VERY* lovable and well-behaved cat
> around humans, and that the *ONLY* reason she was being returned was
> her inability to get along with other cats, and that she would be a
> *PREFECT* pet for someone who only wanted one pet. They are pretty
> good there about trying to place their cats in permanent homes (they
> do a *really* extensive interview and follow-ups) so I think they will
> note this on her papers (some other cats there have similar notations
> - there were about three "one cat only home needed" signs - one *LESS*
> than were there when we adopted Tayla, so at least one "only cat" cat
> got adopted).
>
> I did find out when we were there that Tayla was brought back once
> before, so I suspect there may have been similar problems and whoever
> brought her back just didn't want to say why in case she couldn't get
> adopted again - way wrong decision! Tayla may even be able to accept
> cat companionship somewhere down the line, but I think she needs to be
> *well* established in a one cat household for a good while first.
>
> It's been a day and a half since Tayla's return and already things
> have gotten *MUCH* better. As I noted in Sammy's update, she's out
> from under the bed and has even ventured upstairs on her own. Jessie
> is starting to play with the boyz - for an 8-year-old she is *SO*
> playful still (typical tortie! ;>). Demi is out from behind her
> "hiding chair" and is back in her favorite sunning spots. And the
> boyz are here, there, and *EVERYWHERE* (I got a snippet of video of
> them playing that I'm fixing to upload). The boyz are snuggling up
> with Sammy every time they want to take a nap, and she looks up at me
> with a disgusted look on her face when they do, but she doesn't get up
> and move and I've even caught her giving them a sneak lick when she
> thought I wasn't looking.

That's great, and they might help keep her mind off her sore bottom.

Bobble

> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>

>> --
>> Lynne

cybercat
July 28th 07, 09:47 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote
> It's been a day and a half since Tayla's return and already things have
> gotten *MUCH* better. As I noted in Sammy's update, she's out from under
> the bed and has even ventured upstairs on her own.

Really good. Sammy needs to be out with her people when she's feeling
bad.

Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com
July 29th 07, 01:20 AM
I can only imagine how broken hearted you must feel. I'm sure you did the
right thing and
Tayla will find someone to love her. I was told by my vet that my female
should always be in a one cat home. Kinda makes me wonder what went on while
she was in being spayed, but I've followed his suggestion. Guess some cats
are just that way.

CatNipped wrote:
>I've been talking with the owner of the rescue group I got Tayla from since
>Monday. She hasn't been able to come up with anything either and I think we
>both came to the agreement that Tayla has to be an "only cat". Tayla will
>be going back to the fosterer's house Thursday night for re-adoption into a
>single cat household.
>
>Ben and I are both sick about this, but we can't see having our 9, 8, and
>3-yr-olds having to live in fear under the bed or taking the chance of
>having the kittens seriously hurt.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 30th 07, 01:47 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
7.142...
> on Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:20:23 GMT, "CatNipped"
> > wrote:
>
>> I've been talking with the owner of the rescue group I got Tayla from
>> since Monday. She hasn't been able to come up with anything either
>> and I think we both came to the agreement that Tayla has to be an
>> "only cat". Tayla will be going back to the fosterer's house Thursday
>> night for re-adoption into a single cat household.
>>
>> Ben and I are both sick about this, but we can't see having our 9, 8,
>> and 3-yr-olds having to live in fear under the bed or taking the
>> chance of having the kittens seriously hurt.
>
> Aw, CatNipped, I'm so sorry. I'm sure this was a very difficult decision,
> and one that you made carefully. Don't beat yourself up over it.
>
> How are things in the household now?

Very calm and quiet (except for the kittens, of course). Everyone is now
out and about and interacting again. Sammy and Jessie are always either
licking, playing with, or amusedly watching the kittens, and Demi is back in
all her favorite sunning spots (it's hard to believe she's 9 years old
already - and hard to believe that Jessie is 8 years old when you watch her
play!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Lynne

bonbon
July 30th 07, 03:52 PM
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:47:05 -0500, "CatNipped"
> wrote:

>"Lynne" > wrote in message

>and hard to believe that Jessie is 8 years old when you watch her
>play!).
>
>Hugs,
>
>CatNipped

I remember Jessie fondly from the two wonderful visits we had to your
home. I thought Jessie was such a little doll. Remember the second
time we were there when I wore my cat ears, cat tail, and painted on
whiskers? That was soooo funny when Sammy started stalking me in the
dining room. I have to admit, for a couple of seconds there, I was a
bit scared.

Laughs!

-bonbon

CatNipped[_2_]
July 30th 07, 05:05 PM
"bonbon" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:47:05 -0500, "CatNipped"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Lynne" > wrote in message
>
>>and hard to believe that Jessie is 8 years old when you watch her
>>play!).
>>
>>Hugs,
>>
>>CatNipped
>
> I remember Jessie fondly from the two wonderful visits we had to your
> home. I thought Jessie was such a little doll. Remember the second
> time we were there when I wore my cat ears, cat tail, and painted on
> whiskers? That was soooo funny when Sammy started stalking me in the
> dining room. I have to admit, for a couple of seconds there, I was a
> bit scared.
>
> Laughs!

Jessie just amazes me. She's 8 years old, but she dashes around the house,
running instead of walking, and still plays several times a day just like a
kitten!

Ben and I laugh about that all the time. What was funny was that it took
her a while to notice the cat ears - but once she did, it was hilarious to
watch her stalking you (and yes, I would have been scared too - I think
Sammy can qualify for the "big cats" category).

Hugs,

CatNipped