PDA

View Full Version : Sammy's Sick!

CatNipped
July 26th 07, 12:14 AM
I'm so sick about this - I can't stop kicking myself, I should have caught
this *SO* much sooner!

I saw that Sammy had thrown up a prodigious amount in the garage when I woke
up this morning. As has been said in other posts, Sammy has been living
under my bed for almost 5 weeks now. When I tried getting her out from
under the bed (by moving it!!) I saw that not only had she thrown up in a
number of other spots, but there was liquid feces spotted about on the
carpet. I thought it might be a combination of impacted anal glands (which
she's had once before) and hairballs since she has been shedding so much
lately.

We just got back from the vet and it's not impacted anal glands, she has
diarrhea. Her coat is dull and hair is just falling off in clumps, she had
lost .5* pounds from only 15 days ago (the last time she saw the vet), she's
a bit dehydrated, and she is running a temperature of 102.4F! The vet took
a fecal sample (and shaved her butt to remove all the feces) and didn't see
anything. She said all of those symptoms could be caused by stress.

I can't believe that I did not catch this sooner!

*This is *WAY* too much weight for a cat to lose in such a short time.

Please send any good thoughts and wishes our way for her to get over this
quickly!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Sherry
July 26th 07, 12:17 AM
On Jul 25, 6:14 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> I'm so sick about this - I can't stop kicking myself, I should have caught
> this *SO* much sooner!
>
> I saw that Sammy had thrown up a prodigious amount in the garage when I woke
> up this morning. As has been said in other posts, Sammy has been living
> under my bed for almost 5 weeks now. When I tried getting her out from
> under the bed (by moving it!!) I saw that not only had she thrown up in a
> number of other spots, but there was liquid feces spotted about on the
> carpet. I thought it might be a combination of impacted anal glands (which
> she's had once before) and hairballs since she has been shedding so much
> lately.
>
> We just got back from the vet and it's not impacted anal glands, she has
> diarrhea. Her coat is dull and hair is just falling off in clumps, she had
> lost .5* pounds from only 15 days ago (the last time she saw the vet), she's
> a bit dehydrated, and she is running a temperature of 102.4F! The vet took
> a fecal sample (and shaved her butt to remove all the feces) and didn't see
> anything. She said all of those symptoms could be caused by stress.
>
> I can't believe that I did not catch this sooner!
>
> *This is *WAY* too much weight for a cat to lose in such a short time.
>
> Please send any good thoughts and wishes our way for her to get over this
> quickly!
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Well, it's not like you were sitting around twiddling your thumbs for
the last two weeks. :-)
Don't feel bad about it. Sammygirl is basically a healthy, well-taken-
care of cat--that alone
will help her bounce back quickly. Sending lots of good thoughts.

Sherry

CatNipped
July 26th 07, 12:28 AM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 25, 6:14 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> I'm so sick about this - I can't stop kicking myself, I should have
>> caught
>> this *SO* much sooner!
>>
>> I saw that Sammy had thrown up a prodigious amount in the garage when I
>> woke
>> up this morning. As has been said in other posts, Sammy has been living
>> under my bed for almost 5 weeks now. When I tried getting her out from
>> under the bed (by moving it!!) I saw that not only had she thrown up in a
>> number of other spots, but there was liquid feces spotted about on the
>> carpet. I thought it might be a combination of impacted anal glands
>> (which
>> she's had once before) and hairballs since she has been shedding so much
>> lately.
>>
>> We just got back from the vet and it's not impacted anal glands, she has
>> diarrhea. Her coat is dull and hair is just falling off in clumps, she
>> had
>> lost .5* pounds from only 15 days ago (the last time she saw the vet),
>> she's
>> a bit dehydrated, and she is running a temperature of 102.4F! The vet
>> took
>> a fecal sample (and shaved her butt to remove all the feces) and didn't
>> see
>> anything. She said all of those symptoms could be caused by stress.
>>
>> I can't believe that I did not catch this sooner!
>>
>> *This is *WAY* too much weight for a cat to lose in such a short time.
>>
>> Please send any good thoughts and wishes our way for her to get over this
>> quickly!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>
> Well, it's not like you were sitting around twiddling your thumbs for
> the last two weeks. :-)
> Don't feel bad about it. Sammygirl is basically a healthy, well-taken-
> care of cat--that alone
> will help her bounce back quickly. Sending lots of good thoughts.
>
> Sherry

Thank you *SO* much, Sherry - I should know that, but I'm feeling in need of
some reassurance right now. I think I'm as stressed out as the cats - I can
feel a migraine coming on.

Hugs,

CatNipped

bobblespin[_2_]
July 26th 07, 12:48 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in
:

> I'm so sick about this - I can't stop kicking myself, I should have
> caught this *SO* much sooner!
>
> I saw that Sammy had thrown up a prodigious amount in the garage when
> I woke up this morning. As has been said in other posts, Sammy has
> been living under my bed for almost 5 weeks now. When I tried getting
> her out from under the bed (by moving it!!) I saw that not only had
> she thrown up in a number of other spots, but there was liquid feces
> spotted about on the carpet. I thought it might be a combination of
> impacted anal glands (which she's had once before) and hairballs since
> she has been shedding so much lately.
>
> We just got back from the vet and it's not impacted anal glands, she
> has diarrhea. Her coat is dull and hair is just falling off in
> clumps, she had lost .5* pounds from only 15 days ago (the last time
> she saw the vet), she's a bit dehydrated, and she is running a
> temperature of 102.4F! The vet took a fecal sample (and shaved her
> butt to remove all the feces) and didn't see anything. She said all
> of those symptoms could be caused by stress.

This turn of events makes it obvious you need to remove any cause of
stress for her. As painful as it is for you to give up Tayla, it leaves
no doubt in your mind that you are doing the right thing.

> I can't believe that I did not catch this sooner!
>
> *This is *WAY* too much weight for a cat to lose in such a short time.
>
> Please send any good thoughts and wishes our way for her to get over
> this quickly!

Purrrrrssss on the way for you and Sammy.

Bobble

cindys
July 26th 07, 01:25 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> I'm so sick about this - I can't stop kicking myself, I should have caught
> this *SO* much sooner!
>
> I saw that Sammy had thrown up a prodigious amount in the garage when I
> woke up this morning. As has been said in other posts, Sammy has been
> living under my bed for almost 5 weeks now. When I tried getting her out
> from under the bed (by moving it!!) I saw that not only had she thrown up
> in a number of other spots, but there was liquid feces spotted about on
> the carpet. I thought it might be a combination of impacted anal glands
> (which she's had once before) and hairballs since she has been shedding so
> much lately.
>
> We just got back from the vet and it's not impacted anal glands, she has
> diarrhea. Her coat is dull and hair is just falling off in clumps, she
> had lost .5* pounds from only 15 days ago (the last time she saw the vet),
> she's a bit dehydrated, and she is running a temperature of 102.4F! The
> vet took a fecal sample (and shaved her butt to remove all the feces) and
> didn't see anything. She said all of those symptoms could be caused by
> stress.
>
> I can't believe that I did not catch this sooner!
>
> *This is *WAY* too much weight for a cat to lose in such a short time.
>
> Please send any good thoughts and wishes our way for her to get over this
> quickly!
--------
OMG! I'm sure you feel awful, but you're only human. You do the very best
for your cats. I have no doubt that Sammy will recover just fine. Purrs to
all of you and please keep us updated.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

mlbriggs
July 26th 07, 01:26 AM
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:14:33 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

> I'm so sick about this - I can't stop kicking myself, I should have caught
> this *SO* much sooner!
>
> I saw that Sammy had thrown up a prodigious amount in the garage when I
> woke up this morning. As has been said in other posts, Sammy has been
> living under my bed for almost 5 weeks now. When I tried getting her out
> from under the bed (by moving it!!) I saw that not only had she thrown up
> in a number of other spots, but there was liquid feces spotted about on
> the carpet. I thought it might be a combination of impacted anal glands
> (which she's had once before) and hairballs since she has been shedding so
> much lately.
>
> We just got back from the vet and it's not impacted anal glands, she has
> diarrhea. Her coat is dull and hair is just falling off in clumps, she
> had lost .5* pounds from only 15 days ago (the last time she saw the vet),
> she's a bit dehydrated, and she is running a temperature of 102.4F! The
> vet took a fecal sample (and shaved her butt to remove all the feces) and
> didn't see anything. She said all of those symptoms could be caused by
> stress.
>
> I can't believe that I did not catch this sooner!
>
> *This is *WAY* too much weight for a cat to lose in such a short time.
>
> Please send any good thoughts and wishes our way for her to get over this
> quickly!

Sending heartfelt purrs for Sammy's quick recovery. MLB

CatNipped
July 26th 07, 02:49 AM
Well, like with Bandit, I can tell Sammy's feeling better - she bit me and
made me bleed! ;> If nothing else, getting all that dried feces off her
butt has got to have made her feel somewhat better (we all know how
fastidious cats are and it was *WAY* too much for her to clean off herself).

As an added security blanket, I brought in a litterbox from the garage and
closed my bedroom door - that leave a door, stairs, great room, a hall, and
another closed door between her and Tayla - so she's out from under the bed
now.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> I'm so sick about this - I can't stop kicking myself, I should have caught
> this *SO* much sooner!
>
> I saw that Sammy had thrown up a prodigious amount in the garage when I
> woke up this morning. As has been said in other posts, Sammy has been
> living under my bed for almost 5 weeks now. When I tried getting her out
> from under the bed (by moving it!!) I saw that not only had she thrown up
> in a number of other spots, but there was liquid feces spotted about on
> the carpet. I thought it might be a combination of impacted anal glands
> (which she's had once before) and hairballs since she has been shedding so
> much lately.
>
> We just got back from the vet and it's not impacted anal glands, she has
> diarrhea. Her coat is dull and hair is just falling off in clumps, she
> had lost .5* pounds from only 15 days ago (the last time she saw the vet),
> she's a bit dehydrated, and she is running a temperature of 102.4F! The
> vet took a fecal sample (and shaved her butt to remove all the feces) and
> didn't see anything. She said all of those symptoms could be caused by
> stress.
>
> I can't believe that I did not catch this sooner!
>
> *This is *WAY* too much weight for a cat to lose in such a short time.
>
> Please send any good thoughts and wishes our way for her to get over this
> quickly!
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

cybercat
July 26th 07, 05:06 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> Well, like with Bandit, I can tell Sammy's feeling better - she bit me and
> made me bleed! ;> If nothing else, getting all that dried feces off her
> butt has got to have made her feel somewhat better (we all know how
> fastidious cats are and it was *WAY* too much for her to clean off
> herself).
>
> As an added security blanket, I brought in a litterbox from the garage and
> closed my bedroom door - that leave a door, stairs, great room, a hall,
> and another closed door between her and Tayla - so she's out from under
> the bed now.

I'm so glad she's feeling better!

Sheelagh >o
July 26th 07, 05:34 PM
On 26 Jul, 00:14, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> I'm so sick about this - I can't stop kicking myself, I should have caught
> this *SO* much sooner!
>
> I saw that Sammy had thrown up a prodigious amount in the garage when I woke
> up this morning. As has been said in other posts, Sammy has been living
> under my bed for almost 5 weeks now. When I tried getting her out from
> under the bed (by moving it!!) I saw that not only had she thrown up in a
> number of other spots, but there was liquid feces spotted about on the
> carpet. I thought it might be a combination of impacted anal glands (which
> she's had once before) and hairballs since she has been shedding so much
> lately.
>
> We just got back from the vet and it's not impacted anal glands, she has
> diarrhea. Her coat is dull and hair is just falling off in clumps, she had
> lost .5* pounds from only 15 days ago (the last time she saw the vet), she's
> a bit dehydrated, and she is running a temperature of 102.4F! The vet took
> a fecal sample (and shaved her butt to remove all the feces) and didn't see
> anything. She said all of those symptoms could be caused by stress.
>
> I can't believe that I did not catch this sooner!
>
> *This is *WAY* too much weight for a cat to lose in such a short time.
>
> Please send any good thoughts and wishes our way for her to get over this
> quickly!
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

God Luck.
I'm sure that you you are doing what you think is best for your feline
family here. You have had a lot on your plate recently, & you are only
human. I'm certain that after a vets visit to assess her, &
appropriate medication, that things will pick up for her, & she wil be
fine.

Don't blame yourself- you have simply had a lot of diversions lately
with Tayla & the kittens recently. You have taken appropriate action
to rectify the matter, & now that you know that Sam has a problem, you
will be far more diligent & if there any further problems, you will be
on top of things. Purrs for Sam, & you and your family too. Just don't
beat yourself up over it- you are only human & you did what you
thought was best for them @ that time...

I also hope that Tayla will get the right family & only cat home that
so richly deserves. You tried as hard as anyone could do under the
circumstances, & I am pleased to see that you have put your original
family first. I am certain that the right family for Tayla will come
forward soon, so don't beat yourself over that either...
Purrs of comfort & best wishes too,
Sheelagh >"0"<

bookie
July 27th 07, 06:27 PM
On 26 Jul, 00:14, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> I'm so sick about this - I can't stop kicking myself, I should have caught
> this *SO* much sooner!
>
> I saw that Sammy had thrown up a prodigious amount in the garage when I woke
> up this morning. As has been said in other posts, Sammy has been living
> under my bed for almost 5 weeks now. When I tried getting her out from
> under the bed (by moving it!!) I saw that not only had she thrown up in a
> number of other spots, but there was liquid feces spotted about on the
> carpet. I thought it might be a combination of impacted anal glands (which
> she's had once before) and hairballs since she has been shedding so much
> lately.
>
> We just got back from the vet and it's not impacted anal glands, she has
> diarrhea. Her coat is dull and hair is just falling off in clumps, she had
> lost .5* pounds from only 15 days ago (the last time she saw the vet), she's
> a bit dehydrated, and she is running a temperature of 102.4F! The vet took
> a fecal sample (and shaved her butt to remove all the feces) and didn't see
> anything. She said all of those symptoms could be caused by stress.
>
> I can't believe that I did not catch this sooner!
>
> *This is *WAY* too much weight for a cat to lose in such a short time.
>
> Please send any good thoughts and wishes our way for her to get over this
> quickly!
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

it was probably just due to the stress caused by having tayla around
and turning the house upside down, not your fault, poor little furry
sausage, when tayla is gone and her stress levels drop she will start
to feel 100% again but I am sure you must have been scared in case it
was anything more serious.

bless you for trying to integrate them all, it just wasn't going to
happen and it is better that tayla goes to a home where she can be the
only cat for her sake and that of other cats

purrs and big hugs to sammy.
bookie