PDA

View Full Version : 16 Year Old Cat

July 26th 07, 09:02 PM
I have a cat named Sammy, he is 16 years old. I have noticed in the
last few days that his fur is ruffled and he is not eating as much as
he used to. He is thinning out and throwing up his food, and a clear
foamy liquid. The vets have told me that it's just old age. I'm
really worried about him!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rene S.
July 26th 07, 09:05 PM
On Jul 26, 3:02 pm, wrote:
> I have a cat named Sammy, he is 16 years old. I have noticed in the
> last few days that his fur is ruffled and he is not eating as much as
> he used to. He is thinning out and throwing up his food, and a clear
> foamy liquid. The vets have told me that it's just old age. I'm
> really worried about him!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd take him to another vet. Have a full blood panel done, including
testing for hyperthyroidism. Thyroid problems are quite common in
elderly cats and are treatable with medication (or radioactive
treatment). While he's a senoir kitty he certainly could have many
more years ahead of him. "Old age" doesn't mean that his quality of
life must suffer.

Matthew
July 26th 07, 09:09 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a cat named Sammy, he is 16 years old. I have noticed in the
> last few days that his fur is ruffled and he is not eating as much as
> he used to. He is thinning out and throwing up his food, and a clear
> foamy liquid. The vets have told me that it's just old age. I'm
> really worried about him!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

New vet
a cat can dehydrated extremely easily at that age

MaryL
July 26th 07, 09:26 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 26, 3:02 pm, wrote:
>> I have a cat named Sammy, he is 16 years old. I have noticed in the
>> last few days that his fur is ruffled and he is not eating as much as
>> he used to. He is thinning out and throwing up his food, and a clear
>> foamy liquid. The vets have told me that it's just old age. I'm
>> really worried about him!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> I'd take him to another vet. Have a full blood panel done, including
> testing for hyperthyroidism. Thyroid problems are quite common in
> elderly cats and are treatable with medication (or radioactive
> treatment). While he's a senoir kitty he certainly could have many
> more years ahead of him. "Old age" doesn't mean that his quality of
> life must suffer.

Agreed! Just as with people, "old age" is not a disease. There are often
treatable conditions that are missed if someone just dismisses everything as
"old age."

MaryL

cindys
July 26th 07, 11:18 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a cat named Sammy, he is 16 years old. I have noticed in the
> last few days that his fur is ruffled and he is not eating as much as
> he used to. He is thinning out and throwing up his food, and a clear
> foamy liquid. The vets have told me that it's just old age. I'm
> really worried about him!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?
-------
Someone was telling me just the other day, if your doctor ever tells you
your medical complaint is "due to old age," it's time to find another
doctor. The same would apply to veterinarians. What you are describing could
be the signs of early renal failure (just for one thing). There are things
you can do to treat some of these symptoms. If your kitty is nauseous, for
example, ask your vet about giving him 2.5 to 5 mg of Pepcid, which may
reduce the nausea and improve his appetite.
You definitely need to switch vets. Please take your cat to a different vet
and let us know what the new vet says. Even though this is usenet, we all do
seem to take a very personal interest in each other's cats, and it is
important to us that you share with us what happened.
We're all rooting for Sammy!
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

July 26th 07, 11:27 PM
On Jul 26, 3:18 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...>I have a cat named Sammy, he is 16 years old. I have noticed in the
> > last few days that his fur is ruffled and he is not eating as much as
> > he used to. He is thinning out and throwing up his food, and a clear
> > foamy liquid. The vets have told me that it's just old age. I'm
> > really worried about him!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> -------
> Someone was telling me just the other day, if your doctor ever tells you
> your medical complaint is "due to old age," it's time to find another
> doctor. The same would apply to veterinarians. What you are describing could
> be the signs of early renal failure (just for one thing). There are things
> you can do to treat some of these symptoms. If your kitty is nauseous, for
> example, ask your vet about giving him 2.5 to 5 mg of Pepcid, which may
> reduce the nausea and improve his appetite.
> You definitely need to switch vets. Please take your cat to a different vet
> and let us know what the new vet says. Even though this is usenet, we all do
> seem to take a very personal interest in each other's cats, and it is
> important to us that you share with us what happened.
> We're all rooting for Sammy!
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Wow, thank you! I did not know that. When my husband comes home, I'm
going to show him all of the comments! We will for sure be getting
another vet!

cybercat
July 26th 07, 11:34 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 26, 3:18 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...>I have a cat
>> named Sammy, he is 16 years old. I have noticed in the
>> > last few days that his fur is ruffled and he is not eating as much as
>> > he used to. He is thinning out and throwing up his food, and a clear
>> > foamy liquid. The vets have told me that it's just old age. I'm
>> > really worried about him!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> -------
>> Someone was telling me just the other day, if your doctor ever tells you
>> your medical complaint is "due to old age," it's time to find another
>> doctor. The same would apply to veterinarians. What you are describing
>> could
>> be the signs of early renal failure (just for one thing). There are
>> things
>> you can do to treat some of these symptoms. If your kitty is nauseous,
>> for
>> example, ask your vet about giving him 2.5 to 5 mg of Pepcid, which may
>> reduce the nausea and improve his appetite.
>> You definitely need to switch vets. Please take your cat to a different
>> vet
>> and let us know what the new vet says. Even though this is usenet, we all
>> do
>> seem to take a very personal interest in each other's cats, and it is
>> important to us that you share with us what happened.
>> We're all rooting for Sammy!
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> Wow, thank you! I did not know that. When my husband comes home, I'm
> going to show him all of the comments! We will for sure be getting
> another vet!

I might be wrong about the aspirin ... but do be careful with it. Hope your
old sweetie feels better.

Sheelagh >o
July 26th 07, 11:39 PM
On 26 Jul, 21:02, wrote:
> I have a cat named Sammy, he is 16 years old. I have noticed in the
> last few days that his fur is ruffled and he is not eating as much as
> he used to. He is thinning out and throwing up his food, and a clear
> foamy liquid. The vets have told me that it's just old age. I'm
> really worried about him!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Plenty of suggestions.
1: Every piece of advice that I have seen here so far, is wonderful
advice. Please heed it?
2: The milk advice is vital. Please don't give him anymore. it has far
worse effects than good ones. I know that he has had it since he was a
kitten..But like small children, sometimes you have to do things that
are not easy. (ie: taking a dummy away from a small child, can be very
hard), but ultimately, you know that you are doing the right thing,
because to continue would invite bad teeth positioning when they get
older. The same is the case here. milk can kill your cat, so a bit of
tough love is required here.

3: wet food is best for him right now. Give him a little, but often.
This might help him out. a small amount fed in this way, gives hi a
better chance of absorbing the nutrients he needs, & far less to
loose when he does vomit.
4:If he is drinking plenty, this is good, but we need to know why. It
is possible that he has a thyroid problem, or diabetes, or even
chronic renal failure, to name but 3 possibilities.

5: Change your vet, Pronto!! @16, Sammy might require help with his
arthritis, but to tell you to give him Aspirin is downright
neglectful. it is poisonous to cats, & could be the cause to some of
his present problems or predicament. He might be a senior cat-izen,
but he deserves better advice to that you have been given

Sammy deserves better care than that which he is being given via your
current vet's recommendation. Your vet is very irresponsible & you
need a second opinion. You don't need a reason to justify taking him
to another veterinary practise, & Please do take him to one that a
friend might be able to recommend in your local area. it is clear to
me that you love your cat dearly (who wouldn't after 16 years?!!)
Once you get there, tell him/her what you have told us, & I think that
you will find that they will agree with most of what has been said
here.. Sammy deserves better- Please ensure that he gets that care, &
we would love to hear how you got on, please? Best of luck!
Thanks in advance,
Sheelagh >"o"<

bookie
July 27th 07, 06:40 PM
On 26 Jul, 23:39, "Sheelagh >o<" >
wrote:
> On 26 Jul, 21:02, wrote:
>
> > I have a cat named Sammy, he is 16 years old. I have noticed in the
> > last few days that his fur is ruffled and he is not eating as much as
> > he used to. He is thinning out and throwing up his food, and a clear
> > foamy liquid. The vets have told me that it's just old age. I'm
> > really worried about him!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Plenty of suggestions.
> 1: Every piece of advice that I have seen here so far, is wonderful
> advice. Please heed it?
> 2: The milk advice is vital. Please don't give him anymore. it has far
> worse effects than good ones. I know that he has had it since he was a
> kitten..But like small children, sometimes you have to do things that
> are not easy. (ie: taking a dummy away from a small child, can be very
> hard), but ultimately, you know that you are doing the right thing,
> because to continue would invite bad teeth positioning when they get
> older. The same is the case here. milk can kill your cat, so a bit of
> tough love is required here.
>
> 3: wet food is best for him right now. Give him a little, but often.
> This might help him out. a small amount fed in this way, gives hi a
> better chance of absorbing the nutrients he needs, & far less to
> loose when he does vomit.
> 4:If he is drinking plenty, this is good, but we need to know why. It
> is possible that he has a thyroid problem, or diabetes, or even
> chronic renal failure, to name but 3 possibilities.
>
> 5: Change your vet, Pronto!! @16, Sammy might require help with his
> arthritis, but to tell you to give him Aspirin is downright
> neglectful. it is poisonous to cats, & could be the cause to some of
> his present problems or predicament. He might be a senior cat-izen,
> but he deserves better advice to that you have been given
>
> Sammy deserves better care than that which he is being given via your
> current vet's recommendation. Your vet is very irresponsible & you
> need a second opinion. You don't need a reason to justify taking him
> to another veterinary practise, & Please do take him to one that a
> friend might be able to recommend in your local area. it is clear to
> me that you love your cat dearly (who wouldn't after 16 years?!!)
> Once you get there, tell him/her what you have told us, & I think that
> you will find that they will agree with most of what has been said
> here.. Sammy deserves better- Please ensure that he gets that care, &
> we would love to hear how you got on, please? Best of luck!
> Thanks in advance,
> Sheelagh >"o"<

is cat milk ok though? lower lactose levels and all that?
anyway, i agree with all the advice about finding a new vet, your
current one is a n imbecile if he just sends you away 'just old age'
as a diagnosis.
in my view 16 is NOT old, he is merely just a senior citizen who may
need a bit of help with things now a again, but since cats now are
living until they are 20 + years there is no reason to write him off
just yet.

i got my jasper when he was about 15 or 16 and he brought us joy and
furry love for another 18 months, jessie my current furry mistress is
older than your sammy and she is very rude health and rules the roost
here. I expect to be her human slave for a good few years yet.

best of luck with finding a new compentent vet, bookie

Christina Websell
July 27th 07, 10:53 PM
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 26 Jul, 21:02, wrote:

>> 2: The milk advice is vital. Please don't give him anymore. it has far
> worse effects than good ones. I know that he has had it since he was a
> kitten..But like small children, sometimes you have to do things that
> are not easy. (ie: taking a dummy away from a small child, can be very
> hard), but ultimately, you know that you are doing the right thing,
> because to continue would invite bad teeth positioning when they get
> older. The same is the case here. milk can kill your cat, so a bit of
> tough love is required here.

Milk cannot kill your cat. They can get diarrhoea from it if they are
sensitive to lactose. Some cats are not. "Cat milk" which the OP says she
gives her cat, is quite safe as the lactose is reduced to a safe level for
cats.
Do be careful what you post as true.

mariib via CatKB.com
July 28th 07, 02:33 AM
cybercat wrote:

>[quoted text clipped - 29 lines]
>> going to show him all of the comments! We will for sure be getting
>> another vet!
>
>I might be wrong about the aspirin ... but do be careful with it. Hope your
>old sweetie feels better.

No, No, No - baby aspirin is OK for cats - there's some incorrect information
flying around here - I've been away a few days & there's too many messages in
this thread that I haven't fully read, so if someone else has already posted
this, my apologies. There is NO danger for a cat to take the chewable
unflavored 80mg baby aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) tablets every 3-4 days
with meals. My tabby cat Tigra (RB in 2005) took baby aspirin, Asaphen brand
here in Canada, for several years for her arthritis as prescribed by our vet
whose practice is exclusively cats. My kitty took the pills readily & there
were no side effects or problems at all.
M.