PDA

View Full Version : 16 Year Old Cat

July 26th 07, 10:50 PM
Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
other then aspirin for his arthritis?

cybercat
July 26th 07, 10:51 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
> 16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
> We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
> when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
> the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
> thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
> his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
> other then aspirin for his arthritis?

Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
Take your cat to the vet.

July 26th 07, 10:58 PM
On Jul 26, 2:51 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
> > 16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
> > We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
> > when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
> > the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
> > thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
> > his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
> > other then aspirin for his arthritis?
>
> Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
> Take your cat to the vet.

But the Vet is the one that told us to give it to him!

July 26th 07, 11:07 PM
On Jul 26, 2:58 pm, wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2:51 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > > Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
> > > 16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
> > > We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
> > > when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
> > > the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
> > > thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
> > > his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
> > > other then aspirin for his arthritis?
>
> > Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
> > Take your cat to the vet.
>
> But the Vet is the one that told us to give it to him!

If aspirin is deadly for cats then why would the vet tell ust to give
it to him?

Matthew
July 26th 07, 11:09 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 26, 2:51 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>
>> > Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
>> > 16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
>> > We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
>> > when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
>> > the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
>> > thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
>> > his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
>> > other then aspirin for his arthritis?
>>
>> Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
>> Take your cat to the vet.
>
> But the Vet is the one that told us to give it to him!

Ok my other post has not show up yet but what type of aspirin are you
giving him is it aspirin or Acetaminophen ( Tylenol)
Why does the vet have him on it what dosage are you giving him and when

Matthew
July 26th 07, 11:10 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
> 16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
> We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
> when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
> the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
> thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
> his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
> other then aspirin for his arthritis?

NEW VET NOW

Q: What about my cat and aspirin?
A: Same cautions as above, but with the added warning of time between doses.
Cats cannot break down this drug as quickly as dogs (or humans), and thus,
the cat can be overdosed with the accumulation of the drug in the body.

Cats are typically dosed at intervals of 48-72 hours.

Q: What about other drugs, like Tylenol« and Advil«?
A: In a word, no. Tylenol can be fatal to cats. Neither drug (acetaminophen
and ibuprofen, respectively) is routinely used for arthritis.

Human medications are another source of pet poisoning -- either by
intentionally giving pets human medications (trying to medicate a sick or
injured pet) or by accidental ingestion by an unsupervised pet. Never give
your pet a human medication unless under the direct recommendation and
supervision of your veterinarian. Common human medications such as Tylenol«
can be fatal to a cat.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1456&articleid=1379
http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/homework/s95551.htm
http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/catpain.html

cybercat
July 26th 07, 11:17 PM
> wrote:
>>
>> But the Vet is the one that told us to give it to him!
>
> If aspirin is deadly for cats then why would the vet tell ust to give
> it to him?

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-8.htm

cindys
July 26th 07, 11:21 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
>> 16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
>> We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
>> when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
>> the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
>> thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
>> his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
>> other then aspirin for his arthritis?
>>

> Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
> Take your cat to the vet.
----------
??? My vet prescribed aspirin for my cat to reduce his risk of blood clots
due to cardiac hypertrophy. Another vet has suggested aspirin to deal with
my cat's arthritis. The recommended dose is 81 mg twice a week. Are you sure
you're not thinking of Tylenol or ibuprofen (which would be deadly for a
cat)?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cindys
July 26th 07, 11:24 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>>
>>> ups.com...

>>> Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
>>> Take your cat to the vet.
>>
>> But the Vet is the one that told us to give it to him!
>>
> Ok my other post has not show up yet but what type of aspirin are you
> giving him is it aspirin or Acetaminophen ( Tylenol)
> Why does the vet have him on it what dosage are you giving him and when
--------
Aspirin is not deadly for cats but I think the problem arises because of the
risk of overdose. A safe dose of aspirin for a cat is 81 mg (aka low-dose
aspirin or baby aspirin) twice a week. Tylenol and ibuprofen (Motrin) are
not types of aspirin, but completely different medications and should not be
given to cats at all.
Best regards,
---Cindy

July 26th 07, 11:26 PM
On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> [...]
> Cats are more susceptible to the effects of aspirin than are dogs because
> they ... in dogs whereas central nervous system depression is most common in
> cats. ...
> Rank: ▒0
> Lycoshttp://www.entirelypets.com/
> EntirelyPets.com - Discount Pet Meds Pet Supplies Plus Pet Medicine Pet...
> Discount pet meds, flea control and pet supplies online. Pet prescriptions,
> pet supplies and flea control medications including: Frontline, Advantage,
> Rank: ▒0
> Entirewebhttp://www.vetinfo4cats.com/pageindex.html
> Images
> Tylanol or Acetaminophen toxicity. DO NOT give any cat a non-steroidal
> anti-inflammatory medication without consulting with your vet first.
> Acetaminophen is toxic to cats, aspirin is ...
> Rank: ▒78
> MSNhttp://www.911healthshop.com/petshealth.html
> Pet's Health
> HACKER SAFE certified sites prevent over 99.9% of hacker crime. Home Weight
> Loss Protocol Current Promotions Shop by Brand As Seen on TV Anti-Aging Bath
> & ...
> Rank: ▒0
> Entirewebhttp://www.aafponline.org/
> AAFP - American Association of Feline Practitioners
> AAFP - American Association of Feline Practitioners AAFP 203 Towne Centre
> Dr. Hillsborough, NJ 08844-4693 phone 800-874-0498 phone 908-359-9351 fax
> 908-359- ...
> Rank: ▒0
> Entirewebhttp://www.epetsearch.com/node/33
> Aspirin Toxicity in Cats | ePetSearch
> Welcome to ePetSearch! This site is an on-line resource for pet related
> information.
> Rank: ▒0
> MSNhttp://0.r.msn.com/?ld=2v6RKPAhBqGC98DcOhEwf/65YHCzJY5WIQatI2QOL38Zkw...
> Cat Urine Behavior
> Problems? Get products and advice that really work at Cat Faeries.
> Rank: ▒0
> MSNhttp://placervillevet.com/
> Common-sense health care for dogs and cats.
> Practical, down-to-earth information about pet health and and training - the
> problems veterinarians deal with every day. happy puppy 130.GIF (1681 bytes)
> The ...
> Rank: ▒0
> Entirewebhttp://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/
> Discount Pet Supplies Discount
> , Discount Pet Supplies from GregRobert. GregRobert offers a great selection
> of Aquarium, Cat, Bird, Pond, Dog and many products at discounted prices.
> Pet ...
> Rank: ▒0
> Entirewebhttp://3647.r.msn.com/?ld=2vLBB2yXSwEP4wMK8q4IW7KNk1M2larxzZWB8vKUVW7...
> Ask A Cat Question Now
> Veterinarians, Vet Techs and Cat Experts Answer You Online ASAP!
> Rank: ▒0
> MSNhttp://0.r.msn.com/?ld=2vbZ81UhCKTrrcaFGLvFRkdZoDF5CHfiPLg6DRK3rVKMLG ...
> Find Info On cats
> Top Results On cats From The Top Search Engines.

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

cindys
July 26th 07, 11:26 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
> his tummy fel better?
-----
Yes, Pepcid (famotidine). Not to exceed 5 mg per day. Ask your vet.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cybercat
July 26th 07, 11:28 PM
"cindys" > wrote
>> Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
>> Take your cat to the vet.
> ----------
> ??? My vet prescribed aspirin for my cat to reduce his risk of blood clots
> due to cardiac hypertrophy. Another vet has suggested aspirin to deal with
> my cat's arthritis. The recommended dose is 81 mg twice a week. Are you
> sure you're not thinking of Tylenol or ibuprofen (which would be deadly
> for a cat)?

It is my understanding that you shouldn't give any sort of aspirin or pain
reliever for humans to cats. If I am wrong, somebody correct me.

Could be I read that nobody should give their cats aspirin or other pain
relievers for humans on their own--but I had never heard of a vet
prescribing them either. We're all here to learn.

Matthew
July 26th 07, 11:37 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.

It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

But why?
What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
contact another vet
was it for arthritis?

July 26th 07, 11:42 PM
On Jul 26, 3:37 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>
> > Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint
>
> Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
> aspirin every other day.
>
> It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a
>
> But why?
> What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
> contact another vet
> was it for arthritis?

it is Children's chewable aspirin. it's for his arthritis, and we
were only giving him 1/4 every other day.

Matthew
July 26th 07, 11:44 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "cindys" > wrote
>>> Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
>>> Take your cat to the vet.
>> ----------
>> ??? My vet prescribed aspirin for my cat to reduce his risk of blood
>> clots due to cardiac hypertrophy. Another vet has suggested aspirin to
>> deal with my cat's arthritis. The recommended dose is 81 mg twice a week.
>> Are you sure you're not thinking of Tylenol or ibuprofen (which would be
>> deadly for a cat)?
>
> It is my understanding that you shouldn't give any sort of aspirin or pain
> reliever for humans to cats. If I am wrong, somebody correct me.
>
> Could be I read that nobody should give their cats aspirin or other pain
> relievers for humans on their own--but I had never heard of a vet
> prescribing them either. We're all here to learn.

You can give them a very limited dosage for short periods of time but you
are supposed to be under direct vet supervision
It can cause hepatitis, gastric irritation, and respiratory problems

Aspirin can be fatal to cats. Aspirin should NOT be given to cats except
under direct supervision by your veterinarian.
Side Effects
May see lack of appetite, vomiting, or black or bloody stool which may be
symptoms of stomach ulcers. May cause kidney damage. Symptoms include lack
of appetite, vomiting, or an increase or decrease in water consumption. Less
commonly seen are allergic reactions, anemia, or low blood protein levels
due to blood loss

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1456&articleid=1379

These symptoms sound very familiar

Matthew
July 26th 07, 11:44 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint
>>

> Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
> aspirin every other day.
>
> It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a

Sorry cat's system to break it down

> But why?
> What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
> contact another vet
> was it for arthritis?

Matthew
July 26th 07, 11:51 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 26, 3:37 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>> On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>>
>> > Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint
>>
>> Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
>> aspirin every other day.
>>
>> It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a
>>
>> But why?
>> What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
>> contact another vet
>> was it for arthritis?
>
> it is Children's chewable aspirin. it's for his arthritis, and we
> were only giving him 1/4 every other day.

Ok but I am making sure it is not Acetaminophen. I don't have two legs
children you have to help me out on ingredients

cindys
July 26th 07, 11:53 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "cindys" > wrote
>>> Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
>>> Take your cat to the vet.
>> ----------
>> ??? My vet prescribed aspirin for my cat to reduce his risk of blood
>> clots due to cardiac hypertrophy. Another vet has suggested aspirin to
>> deal with my cat's arthritis. The recommended dose is 81 mg twice a week.
>> Are you sure you're not thinking of Tylenol or ibuprofen (which would be
>> deadly for a cat)?
>
> It is my understanding that you shouldn't give any sort of aspirin or pain
> reliever for humans to cats. If I am wrong, somebody correct me.
>
> Could be I read that nobody should give their cats aspirin or other pain
> relievers for humans on their own--but I had never heard of a vet
> prescribing them either. We're all here to learn.
--------
I have had several different vets recommend aspirin for several of my cats
at various times and for various conditions. I think the problem is that it
is very easy to overdose a cat. The recommended dose is 81 mg twice a week
(aka low-dose aspirin or baby aspirin). I think the concern is that out of
ignorance a person may not realize how much is too much and either give the
cat a standard human dose of aspirin which is a 325 mg tablet and/or may
dose the cat daily rather than only twice a week and/or may mistakenly give
the cat Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin (ibuprofen) rather than aspirin.
Both of these are toxic AFAIK. So, yes, I suspect that the warnings you have
been reading are about protecting cats from their well-meaning albeit
sometimes ignorant humans. But it is not unusual for vets to prescribe
aspirin for cats provided the human understands all of the above.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

July 26th 07, 11:55 PM
On Jul 26, 3:51 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> oups.com...

> >> Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
> >> aspirin every other day.
>
> >> It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a
>
> >> But why?
> >> What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
> >> contact another vet
> >> was it for arthritis?
>
> > it is Children's chewable aspirin. it's for his arthritis, and we
> > were only giving him 1/4 every other day.
>
> Ok but I am making sure it is not Acetaminophen. I don't have two legs
> children you have to help me out on ingredients- Hide quoted text -

active ingredients are - aspirin 81 mg, and that's all it says.

cindys
July 26th 07, 11:55 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint
>>

> Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
> aspirin every other day.
>
> It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a
>

> But why?
> What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
> contact another vet
> was it for arthritis?
-----
Matthew, Tylenol is acetaminophen, NOT aspirin.
Best regards,
--Cindy S.

Cheryl
July 26th 07, 11:58 PM
On Thu 26 Jul 2007 06:28:55p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

> Could be I read that nobody should give their cats aspirin or
> other pain relievers for humans on their own--but I had never
> heard of a vet prescribing them either. We're all here to learn.

I agree never do it on your own without the vet saying so, just like
anything else. That said, when Scarlett was spayed and had
complications due to an allergy or whatever it was to her internal
sutures, vet prescribed 1/4 low dose aspirin every other day until
she stopped walking funny. Since she had a drain in her by then it
was only for about a week and a half before she had a huge
improvement. The walking funny was my first clue that she had
complications; she was in pain.

--
Cheryl

cybercat
July 27th 07, 12:00 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Thu 26 Jul 2007 06:28:55p, cybercat wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:
>
>> Could be I read that nobody should give their cats aspirin or
>> other pain relievers for humans on their own--but I had never
>> heard of a vet prescribing them either. We're all here to learn.
>
> I agree never do it on your own without the vet saying so, just like
> anything else. That said, when Scarlett was spayed and had
> complications due to an allergy or whatever it was to her internal
> sutures, vet prescribed 1/4 low dose aspirin every other day until
> she stopped walking funny. Since she had a drain in her by then it
> was only for about a week and a half before she had a huge
> improvement. The walking funny was my first clue that she had
> complications; she was in pain.

I see. Thanks, Cheryl.

cybercat
July 27th 07, 12:01 AM
"Matthew" > wrote

> You can give them a very limited dosage for short periods of time but you
> are supposed to be under direct vet supervision
> It can cause hepatitis, gastric irritation, and respiratory problems
>
> Aspirin can be fatal to cats. Aspirin should NOT be given to cats except
> under direct supervision by your veterinarian.
> Side Effects
> May see lack of appetite, vomiting, or black or bloody stool which may be
> symptoms of stomach ulcers. May cause kidney damage. Symptoms include lack
> of appetite, vomiting, or an increase or decrease in water consumption.
> Less commonly seen are allergic reactions, anemia, or low blood protein
> levels due to blood loss
>
> http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1456&articleid=1379
>
> These symptoms sound very familiar

So when vets do prescribe it they need to make sure owners know all of this.
Too many people assume that if a little bit is good a lot is even better.

Matthew
July 27th 07, 12:06 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>>> Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint
>>>

>> Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
>> aspirin every other day.
>>
>> It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a
>>

>> But why?
>> What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
>> contact another vet
>> was it for arthritis?
> -----
> Matthew, Tylenol is acetaminophen, NOT aspirin.
> Best regards,
> --Cindy S.

Yes I know thank you ;-) but I did not know what is in children's aspirin.
There are many cheap versions of aspirin that say they are aspirin but are
actually acetaminophen that is what I am making sure of. I don't have young
kids so I don't keep any in stock but I got bottles of aspirin that is
actually are acetaminophen tablets

Matthew
July 27th 07, 12:07 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 26, 3:51 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...

>> oups.com...

>> > it is Children's chewable aspirin. it's for his arthritis, and we
>> > were only giving him 1/4 every other day.
>>
>> Ok but I am making sure it is not Acetaminophen. I don't have two legs
>> children you have to help me out on ingredients- Hide quoted text -

> active ingredients are - aspirin 81 mg, and that's all it says.

Ok it is not the other which I was worried about
Cindy posted about this so in limited dosages it can be ok. But one of the
side effects is gastric irritation I listed the side effects in a reply in
this thread to cybercat so it could be a culprit of the problem

Matthew
July 27th 07, 12:08 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote
>>
>> You can give them a very limited dosage for short periods of time but
>> you are supposed to be under direct vet supervision
>> It can cause hepatitis, gastric irritation, and respiratory problems
>>
>> Aspirin can be fatal to cats. Aspirin should NOT be given to cats except
>> under direct supervision by your veterinarian.
>> Side Effects
>> May see lack of appetite, vomiting, or black or bloody stool which may be
>> symptoms of stomach ulcers. May cause kidney damage. Symptoms include
>> lack of appetite, vomiting, or an increase or decrease in water
>> consumption. Less commonly seen are allergic reactions, anemia, or low
>> blood protein levels due to blood loss
>>
>> http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1456&articleid=1379
>>
>> These symptoms sound very familiar
>
> So when vets do prescribe it they need to make sure owners know all of
> this.
> Too many people assume that if a little bit is good a lot is even better.
Amen sister

Charlie Wilkes
July 27th 07, 12:21 AM
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:37:49 -0400, Matthew wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com... On Jul 26,
> 3:13 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint
>>

> Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
> aspirin every other day.
>
> It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a
>

> But why?
> What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
> contact another vet
> was it for arthritis?

This point should be clarified I think.

Aspirin is a single, specific chemical, acetylsalicylic acid. Tylenol is
a different chemical, acetaminophen.

According to veterinary web sites, acetaminophen should never be given to
cats, but aspirin can be given to cats subject to important caveats,
i.e., low dosage and less-than-daily administration. 1/4 baby aspirin
every other day may be a safe dose.

However, if this cat is ill and the vet isn't taking it seriously,
certainly it would be good to find one who does.

Charlie

MaryL
July 27th 07, 12:31 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
> 16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
> We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
> when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
> the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
> thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
> his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
> other then aspirin for his arthritis?

Aspirin is toxic to cats! If you are sure that is what your vet prescribed,
then it's time to change vets. Immediately.

MaryL

cindys
July 27th 07, 12:32 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message

snip

>> active ingredients are - aspirin 81 mg, and that's all it says.
>>
> Ok it is not the other which I was worried about
> Cindy posted about this so in limited dosages it can be ok. But one of
> the side effects is gastric irritation I listed the side effects in a
> reply in this thread to cybercat so it could be a culprit of the problem
-------
You won't get any argument from regarding the possibility of gastric
irritation from aspirin. If Sammy were my cat, I don't think I would give
him the aspirin for this reason.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cindys
July 27th 07, 12:43 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

>>> oups.com...
>>>>

>>> Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
>>> aspirin every other day.
>>>
>>> It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a
>>>

>>> But why?
>>> What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
>>> contact another vet
>>> was it for arthritis?
>> -----
>> Matthew, Tylenol is acetaminophen, NOT aspirin.
>> Best regards,
>> --Cindy S.
>
> Yes I know thank you ;-) but I did not know what is in children's aspirin.
> There are many cheap versions of aspirin that say they are aspirin but are
> actually acetaminophen that is what I am making sure of.

Are you sure the bottle says "aspirin?" (Bonafide aspirin is actually much
cheaper than acetaminophen)

> I don't have young kids so I don't keep any in stock but I got bottles of
> aspirin that is actually are acetaminophen tablets
Not to start an argument over this, but I find it difficult to believe that
you have bottles of medicine that say "Aspirin" on the label but then when
you read the ingredients, you see "acetaminophen." This would be completely
illegal and would lead to lawsuits up the wahzoo for anyone who might have
an allergy to acetaminophen. These are two completely different, unrelated
medications. For one thing, aspirin is an anti-inflammatory and
acetaminophen isn't. It would be like having a bottle of medicine that is
labeled "penicillin" but it really contains metronidazole. They are both
antibiotics, but they have totally different chemical structures, different
mechanisms of action, are effective against different organisms. Are you
sure the bottle doesn't say something like "Children's pain reliever"? Can
you check? If what you are telling me is for real, I will be making a ton of
phone calls come tomorrow morning, I promise you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Cheryl
July 27th 07, 01:03 AM
On Thu 26 Jul 2007 07:43:32p, cindys wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> Are you
> sure the bottle doesn't say something like "Children's pain
> reliever"? Can you check? If what you are telling me is for
> real, I will be making a ton of phone calls come tomorrow
> morning, I promise you.

My own concerns way back when Scarlett was prescribed this were more
like "do they even make children's aspirin anymore?" because it isn't
safe to give CHILDREN real aspirin. I went to the drug store to get
some and asked at the pharmacy, and the pharmacist told me it was now
labeled "low dose", for adults for heart disease
prevention/treatment. I think we're all stuck in the past with the
"children's aspirin" label.

--
Cheryl

cindys
July 27th 07, 01:43 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Thu 26 Jul 2007 07:43:32p, cindys wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> Are you
>> sure the bottle doesn't say something like "Children's pain
>> reliever"? Can you check? If what you are telling me is for
>> real, I will be making a ton of phone calls come tomorrow
>> morning, I promise you.
>
> My own concerns way back when Scarlett was prescribed this were more
> like "do they even make children's aspirin anymore?" because it isn't
> safe to give CHILDREN real aspirin.

Correct. There is a risk for the development of Reye's syndrome (potentially
fatal nerve and liver damage) in a child or teenager with a fever, or
flu-like symptoms, or chicken pox who is given aspirin.

>I went to the drug store to get
> some and asked at the pharmacy, and the pharmacist told me it was now
> labeled "low dose", for adults for heart disease
> prevention/treatment. I think we're all stuck in the past with the
> "children's aspirin" label.

I have seen it labeled both ways. Even now, some of the bottles are still
labeled "children's aspirin." I don't know why some companies are still
labeling it this way. But at any rate, "Aspirin" is actually a trademark.
The bottles that are still labeled "children's aspirin" contain 81 mg
acetylsalicylic acid and not acetaminophen. But I know what you mean.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Stacia
July 27th 07, 01:49 AM
writes:

>active ingredients are - aspirin 81 mg, and that's all it says.

My cat Spam was on a half of a children's aspirin a day, and it was okay
but it did make his tummy a bit upset. You definitely do NOT want to give
a cat Tylenol / acetaminophen, though, it's poison to them. Hope your
kitty feels better soon.

Stacia

Rhonda[_3_]
July 27th 07, 05:22 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:37:49 -0400, Matthew wrote:
>
> wrote in message
oups.com... On Jul 26,
>>3:13 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>>
>>>Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint
>>>

>>Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
>>aspirin every other day.
>>
>>It takes about 3 to 4 four days for a
>>
>>But why?
>>What type of children's aspirin? if it is Tylenol stop immediately and
>>contact another vet
>> was it for arthritis?
>
> This point should be clarified I think.
>
> Aspirin is a single, specific chemical, acetylsalicylic acid. Tylenol is
> a different chemical, acetaminophen.
>
> According to veterinary web sites, acetaminophen should never be given to
> cats, but aspirin can be given to cats subject to important caveats,
> i.e., low dosage and less-than-daily administration. 1/4 baby aspirin
> every other day may be a safe dose.
>
> However, if this cat is ill and the vet isn't taking it seriously,
> certainly it would be good to find one who does.
>
> Charlie

Yes, our wonderful vet prescribed a portion of a baby aspirin (1/4 or
1/3 -- I forget) every 3rd day to a cat who had had a small stroke. You
have to be careful with aspirin and cats because it takes a few days for
it to leave their systems.

For arthritis though, I'm wondering if you've tried glucosimine? We've
just started our arthritic cat on that. Our vet suggested that and/or
acupuncture.

Rhonda