PDA

View Full Version : Update on Sammy

CatNipped
July 27th 07, 01:43 AM
Sammy's diarrhea is worse today - I watched her using the litterbox and it's
liquid. Her butt is sore (just like a human with diarrhea) and her licking
it is making it more sore. I talked with the vet and she said for today to
use Vaseline on her butt just like you would a baby with diaper rash. We
held her down so I could wipe her off with a wet cloth (thank goodness she
got shaved at the vet's last night!) and applied the Vaseline. And she
promptly started licking *that* off! I know Vaseline is used for hair
balls, now I'm worried that it will make her diarrhea worse.

We have another appointment at the vet's tomorrow afternoon to do further
testing and medicine for the diarrhea and upset tummy (to treat the
symptoms since they haven't found a physical problem that we know of yet).

[Let's see that's 3 cats' initial visit and shots (Tayla, Archer and Ozzy),
3
cats' booster shots (Demi, Jessie and Sammy), 3 cats' visit (2 boosters for
the
boys, 1 check-up for Tayla), 1 sick cat yesterday (Sammy) and 1 sick cat
tomorrow (Sammy) - that's a total of 14 vet visits' cost in less than 5
weeks!!!! Like Tweed told her vet, should I just deposit my paycheck into
his account from now on?!]

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Rhonda[_3_]
July 27th 07, 05:14 AM
CN,

You may want to read this about the different causes of and clues about
cat diarrhea:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/diarrhea.html

Have they done a fecal test for parasites yet?

Good luck,

Rhonda

CatNipped wrote:
> Sammy's diarrhea is worse today - I watched her using the litterbox and it's
> liquid. Her butt is sore (just like a human with diarrhea) and her licking
> it is making it more sore. I talked with the vet and she said for today to
> use Vaseline on her butt just like you would a baby with diaper rash. We
> held her down so I could wipe her off with a wet cloth (thank goodness she
> got shaved at the vet's last night!) and applied the Vaseline. And she
> promptly started licking *that* off! I know Vaseline is used for hair
> balls, now I'm worried that it will make her diarrhea worse.
>
> We have another appointment at the vet's tomorrow afternoon to do further
> testing and medicine for the diarrhea and upset tummy (to treat the
> symptoms since they haven't found a physical problem that we know of yet).
>
> [Let's see that's 3 cats' initial visit and shots (Tayla, Archer and Ozzy),
> 3
> cats' booster shots (Demi, Jessie and Sammy), 3 cats' visit (2 boosters for
> the
> boys, 1 check-up for Tayla), 1 sick cat yesterday (Sammy) and 1 sick cat
> tomorrow (Sammy) - that's a total of 14 vet visits' cost in less than 5
> weeks!!!! Like Tweed told her vet, should I just deposit my paycheck into
> his account from now on?!]

jmc
July 27th 07, 05:50 AM
Suddenly, without warning, CatNipped exclaimed (7/27/2007 10:13 AM):
> Sammy's diarrhea is worse today - I watched her using the litterbox and it's
> liquid. Her butt is sore (just like a human with diarrhea) and her licking
> it is making it more sore. I talked with the vet and she said for today to
> use Vaseline on her butt just like you would a baby with diaper rash. We
> held her down so I could wipe her off with a wet cloth (thank goodness she
> got shaved at the vet's last night!) and applied the Vaseline. And she
> promptly started licking *that* off! I know Vaseline is used for hair
> balls, now I'm worried that it will make her diarrhea worse.
>
> We have another appointment at the vet's tomorrow afternoon to do further
> testing and medicine for the diarrhea and upset tummy (to treat the
> symptoms since they haven't found a physical problem that we know of yet).
>
> [Let's see that's 3 cats' initial visit and shots (Tayla, Archer and Ozzy),
> 3
> cats' booster shots (Demi, Jessie and Sammy), 3 cats' visit (2 boosters for
> the
> boys, 1 check-up for Tayla), 1 sick cat yesterday (Sammy) and 1 sick cat
> tomorrow (Sammy) - that's a total of 14 vet visits' cost in less than 5
> weeks!!!! Like Tweed told her vet, should I just deposit my paycheck into
> his account from now on?!]

Sorry to hear Sammy's unwell. At this point, I think the only way to
keep her from licking her butt and making it worse, is putting on an
Elizabethan collar. I know, I hate them too, but if she licks it enough
to cause sores, I'd be worried about infection.

jmc

CatNipped[_2_]
July 27th 07, 02:27 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> CN,
>
> You may want to read this about the different causes of and clues about
> cat diarrhea:
>
> http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/diarrhea.html
>
> Have they done a fecal test for parasites yet?

Yes, they did on Wednesday when we were there, but they're going to do more
testing tonight to see if she may have eaten something she shouldn't have.
The vet still thinks it's from stress.

Hugs,

CatNipped