PDA

View Full Version : Feline Cycles

July 27th 07, 03:43 PM
My cat is almost a year old (born Septemer). She must had some puberty
by now but nothing too discomfiting. What I want to know is, do heat
cycles occur regularly, annually, predictably, or what? (What I REALLY
want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying and
innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)

Thanks.
Bill King

Rene S.
July 27th 07, 04:24 PM
On Jul 27, 9:43 am, " >
wrote:
> My cat is almost a year old (born Septemer). She must had some puberty
> by now but nothing too discomfiting. What I want to know is, do heat
> cycles occur regularly, annually, predictably, or what? (What I REALLY
> want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying and
> innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
> rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)

Once a cat is sexually mature, she can be continually in heat until
she mates. Please, please, please, for her sake and yours, get her
spayed now. Don't add to the pet overpopulation problem. I think most
people on this newsgroup will agree with me on this topic.

If money is an issue, see a low-cost clinic or call your local
shelter. Many shelters offer spay/neuter services based on income.

Also, until she's spayed, please keep her INDOORS.

bookie
July 27th 07, 06:20 PM
On 27 Jul, 15:43, " > wrote:
> My cat is almost a year old (born Septemer). She must had some puberty
> by now but nothing too discomfiting. What I want to know is, do heat
> cycles occur regularly, annually, predictably, or what? (What I REALLY
> want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying and
> innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
> rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)
>
> Thanks.
> Bill King

get her spayed and get her injections done, not to do this is
extremely irresponsible

end of

bookie

Spot
July 27th 07, 09:14 PM
She's going to YOWLLLLLLLLLLL and make a ruccus like you've never heard
before and you are going to have every male cat in a 5 mile radius hanging
out at your door and spraying your property. Do both of you a favor and get
her to the vets and get her spayed before it happens.

Celeste

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My cat is almost a year old (born Septemer). She must had some puberty
> by now but nothing too discomfiting. What I want to know is, do heat
> cycles occur regularly, annually, predictably, or what? (What I REALLY
> want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying and
> innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
> rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)
>
> Thanks.
> Bill King

mariib via CatKB.com
July 28th 07, 04:01 AM
wrote:
>What I REALLY want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying
> and innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
>rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)
>Thanks.
>Bill King

What's with you? You want a veterinarian to work for nothing? Call a couple
vet practices in your area & get an idea of the cost & yes, there IS a cost,
why not? Would you be willing to work for cost or nothing as you seem to be
suggesting? You always have the option of utilizing one of the low cost spay-
neuter clinics that go on from time to time - you came here to ask but you
could just as easily google using your city + "low cost spay neuter clinic".
You should call your local SPCA, your municipality, the local vets, volunteer
groups & there are spay-neuter assistance programs (SNAP) run by local vet
clinics, the municipalities, etc etc.

And what will happen when your kitty needs vet care for one reason or another?
Will this same unreasonable attitude be your first thought - that vets are
extortionists? If so, please look for another good home for her.
M.

July 28th 07, 10:46 AM
On Jul 27, 10:01 pm, "mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> wrote:
> >What I REALLY want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying
> > and innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
> >rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)
> >Thanks.
> >Bill King
>
> What's with you? You want a veterinarian to work for nothing? Call a couple
> vet practices in your area & get an idea of the cost & yes, there IS a cost,
> why not? Would you be willing to work for cost or nothing as you seem to be
> suggesting? You always have the option of utilizing one of the low cost spay-
> neuter clinics that go on from time to time - you came here to ask but you
> could just as easily google using your city + "low cost spay neuter clinic".
> You should call your local SPCA, your municipality, the local vets, volunteer
> groups & there are spay-neuter assistance programs (SNAP) run by local vet
> clinics, the municipalities, etc etc.
>
> And what will happen when your kitty needs vet care for one reason or another?
> Will this same unreasonable attitude be your first thought - that vets are
> extortionists? If so, please look for another good home for her.
> M.

July 28th 07, 11:01 AM
On Jul 27, 10:01 pm, "mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> wrote:
> >What I REALLY want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying
> > and innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
> >rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)
> >Thanks.
> >Bill King
>
> What's with you? You want a veterinarian to work for nothing? Call a couple
> vet practices in your area & get an idea of the cost & yes, there IS a cost,
> why not? Would you be willing to work for cost or nothing as you seem to be
> suggesting? You always have the option of utilizing one of the low cost spay-
> neuter clinics that go on from time to time - you came here to ask but you
> could just as easily google using your city + "low cost spay neuter clinic".
> You should call your local SPCA, your municipality, the local vets, volunteer
> groups & there are spay-neuter assistance programs (SNAP) run by local vet
> clinics, the municipalities, etc etc.
>
> And what will happen when your kitty needs vet care for one reason or another?
> Will this same unreasonable attitude be your first thought - that vets are
> extortionists? If so, please look for another good home for her.
> M.

First of all, the question was about recurrence of heat cycles.

Monty is a srictly indoor cat (and therefore has a much chance of
getting pregrant as I have) and I might add that she gets daily play,
paid-for cat-sitting when I am at work, the best of cat food, and the
run of every inch if my house.

And yes, she gets medical care too - for which I pay. It is just that
the vet requires not only $300 for a hysterectomy (which I have no
quibble with), but three visits and the same cost or more for
innoculationns against diseases she has no chance of getting.

In fac, there is a serious debate within the verterinary profession
whether these innoculations do more harm than good. For example, there
is a risk of cancer at the injection site, which is why some vets now
give the innoculation on a limb which, in case of cancer, can be
removed. There is also the question of whether these repeated
innoculations are being over-given in order to get cats back to the
vet for their boosters more often. Why I call it exhortation is that
no vet I called in my area will perform the hysterectromy without all
the inncoluations (they lean on you for declawing (a form of
mutilation) too. One even told me that they have no choice but in
Ontario, at least, the only legally mandatory vaccination is against
rabies. The standards of the veterian organizations are voluntary, so
the lady who told me this seems to have been lying too.

I don't think loving one's cat is inconcsistent with regarding
veterinarism as a racket. But don't worry I DO love my cat! I would
just like to postpone the $600 and four part-days off work (two JUST
for needles) for awhile if it will do neither of us harm. THAT was the
question I asked but I seem to have got answers to various other ones.

Bil King

mariib via CatKB.com
July 28th 07, 01:11 PM
wrote:
>> wrote:
>> >What I REALLY want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying
>[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
>> --
>
>First of all, the question was about recurrence of heat cycles.
>
>Monty is a srictly indoor cat (and therefore has a much chance of
>getting pregrant as I have) and I might add that she gets daily play,
>paid-for cat-sitting when I am at work, the best of cat food, and the
>run of every inch if my house.
>
>And yes, she gets medical care too - for which I pay. It is just that
>the vet requires not only $300 for a hysterectomy (which I have no
>quibble with), but three visits and the same cost or more for
>innoculationns against diseases she has no chance of getting.
>
>In fac, there is a serious debate within the verterinary profession
>whether these innoculations do more harm than good. For example, there
>is a risk of cancer at the injection site, which is why some vets now
>give the innoculation on a limb which, in case of cancer, can be
>removed. There is also the question of whether these repeated
>innoculations are being over-given in order to get cats back to the
>vet for their boosters more often. Why I call it exhortation is that
>no vet I called in my area will perform the hysterectromy without all
>the inncoluations (they lean on you for declawing (a form of
>mutilation) too. One even told me that they have no choice but in
>Ontario, at least, the only legally mandatory vaccination is against
>rabies. The standards of the veterian organizations are voluntary, so
>the lady who told me this seems to have been lying too.
>
>I don't think loving one's cat is inconcsistent with regarding
>veterinarism as a racket. But don't worry I DO love my cat! I would
>just like to postpone the $600 and four part-days off work (two JUST
>for needles) for awhile if it will do neither of us harm. THAT was the
>question I asked but I seem to have got answers to various other ones.
>
>Bil King
I can't answer you on heat cycles because I have always spayed or neutered
every cat I've had because I believe this is in the best interest of the cat
for a long healthy life. I also live in Ontario so I'm reading some of your
comments with skepticism. I've never had a vet push declawing over the past
35 years. Yes, rabies is compulsary by law here. As far as I know, spaying
requires an overnight stay which means they would want to protect all other
cats which will be coming into the kennel area afterwards. No responsible vet
(or pet owner ) would want an unvaccinated cat to be boarded in the kennel
area because of the risk of spreading a communicable disease afterwards.
There are many highly contagious illnesses that are easily spread. My current
vet's practice boarding area was closed to all cats for 1-2 months a couple
years ago because of such an incident & I've heard of similar things
happening at other clinics & private homes after the arrival of a new cat.
This risk is so much higher than the far more remote possibility of cancer at
the injection site.

There's always evening & weekend hours at a clinic so why 4 half days off
work? My experience obviously has been different from yours because most
vaccinations now are good for 3 years & my vet is very good about only doing
what's necessary once the initial vaccinations were done, i.e. my 3 & 5 yr
old cats haven't had any shots the past 2 years & in the last 5 years of my
last very elderly cat's life - no shots were given to her.

And have you explored the low cost options? Have you called other local vets
in your area, or your local SPCA, your particular municipality, or some of
the volunteer/rescue groups? Have you asked all of those about the spay-
neuter assistance programs available?
M.

Spot
July 28th 07, 03:08 PM
First off there is a 1 in 1000 chance of cancer from an injection. Plus if
they happen to get it they were predisposed to it and eventually would have
gotten cancer at some point in life it's in the genes.

As the for the vaccines you are just asking for problems just because she's
not outside does not mean that she's immune from disease. Anything even a
simple cold can be picked up from through an open screened window to you
yourself carrying it into the house on the soles of your shoe. Parvo can
live on for years in soil if not properly treated with clorox and
disinfectant and is easily transmitted by a person just walking though the
property.

I have a cat who lost a limb to a booster rabies shot at 3 years of age. It
was giant cell tumor a rare cancer that rarely shows up in cats but often
does in dogs. She get no more vaccines by needle but gets nasal vaccines
instead.

Suck it up and get the cat vaccinated and fixed.

Celeste

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> innoculations are being over-given in order to get cats back to the
> vet for their boosters more often. Why I call it exhortation is that
> no vet I called in my area will perform the hysterectromy without all
> the inncoluations (they lean on you for declawing (a form of
> mutilation) too. One even told me that they have no choice but in
> Ontario, at least, the only legally mandatory vaccination is against
> rabies. The standards of the veterian organizations are voluntary, so
> the lady who told me this seems to have been lying too.
>
> I don't think loving one's cat is inconcsistent with regarding
> veterinarism as a racket. But don't worry I DO love my cat! I would
> just like to postpone the $600 and four part-days off work (two JUST
> for needles) for awhile if it will do neither of us harm. THAT was the
> question I asked but I seem to have got answers to various other ones.

July 28th 07, 04:15 PM
On Jul 28, 9:08 am, "Spot" > wrote:
> [...]
> > innoculations are being over-given in order to get cats back to the
> > vet for their boosters more often. Why I call it exhortation is that
> > no vet I called in my area will perform the hysterectromy without all
> > the inncoluations (they lean on you for declawing (a form of
> > mutilation) too. One even told me that they have no choice but in
> > Ontario, at least, the only legally mandatory vaccination is against
> > rabies. The standards of the veterian organizations are voluntary, so
> > the lady who told me this seems to have been lying too.
>
> > I don't think loving one's cat is inconcsistent with regarding
> > veterinarism as a racket. But don't worry I DO love my cat! I would
> > just like to postpone the $600 and four part-days off work (two JUST
> > for needles) for awhile if it will do neither of us harm. THAT was the
> > question I asked but I seem to have got answers to various other ones.

Would you sleep with a man who has a 1/1000 chance of giving you aids?
As to presdisposition, are you suggesing that these cats will get the
cance anyway (albeit later) WITHOUT a precipitatating (i.e.,
innoculation) event?

As to cats getting ca-borne diseases WITHOUT direct contact with other
cats, you are talking one chance in millions. Viruses have very short
lives outside the feline (or human) bodies. Thus the AIDS from toilet
seat myths.

I am not sure that your unhappily three-legged cat is a very good
exhibit for the evidence which you present (especially when you say
"suck it up").

Has it occurred to many of you folk that while some cat-owners (i.e.,
youre corresondent) are not poor enough for special programmes,
neither are they rich enough to spend $1000 on a cat when they may
have eg. a sick mother to provide for instead?

I will get my cat fixed, and probably soone than later.

My original question about heat cycles remains unanswered.

I do think that one can be a cat-lover AND a scpetic as to
veterinarian rackaterring - which, indicidentally, leaves many an
inner-city cat with no medical attention AT ALL!

I am surprised here thre is so much defenence for veterians. I could
cite some figures and analaysis from greater minds than mine ...

Spot
July 28th 07, 05:15 PM
You know I'm the last person you want to throw the money crap at. I have a
cronic illness myself and it's normal for me to spend 1/3 of my yearly take
home pay on medications, copays and insurance premiums. I'm not rich and I
don't qualify for any special programs.

I do however make sure that BEFORE I take in an animal that I have the funds
and resourses to take care of it. I have 3 cats and 3 dogs and just dropped
$800.00 on having ACL surgery done for the dogs blown out knee. While I'm
not rich I do have a line of credit put aside just for veterinary care for
my animals.

If you can't afford basic veterinary care for the cat (which spaying and
vaccines are considered basic care) then maybe you shouldn't have a cat.

Celeste

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> [...]
> seat myths.
>
> I am not sure that your unhappily three-legged cat is a very good
> exhibit for the evidence which you present (especially when you say
> "suck it up").
>
> Has it occurred to many of you folk that while some cat-owners (i.e.,
> youre corresondent) are not poor enough for special programmes,
> neither are they rich enough to spend $1000 on a cat when they may
> have eg. a sick mother to provide for instead?
>
> I will get my cat fixed, and probably soone than later.
>
> My original question about heat cycles remains unanswered.
>
> I do think that one can be a cat-lover AND a scpetic as to
> veterinarian rackaterring - which, indicidentally, leaves many an
> inner-city cat with no medical attention AT ALL!
>
> I am surprised here thre is so much defenence for veterians. I could
> cite some figures and analaysis from greater minds than mine ...

Sheelagh >o
July 28th 07, 05:23 PM
On 28 Jul, 16:15, " > wrote:
> [...]
>
> I am not sure that your unhappily three-legged cat is a very good
> exhibit for the evidence which you present (especially when you say
> "suck it up").
>
> Has it occurred to many of you folk that while some cat-owners (i.e.,
> youre corresondent) are not poor enough for special programmes,
> neither are they rich enough to spend $1000 on a cat when they may
> have eg. a sick mother to provide for instead?
>
> I will get my cat fixed, and probably soone than later.
>
> My original question about heat cycles remains unanswered.
>
> I do think that one can be a cat-lover AND a scpetic as to
> veterinarian rackaterring - which, indicidentally, leaves many an
> inner-city cat with no medical attention AT ALL!
>
> I am surprised here thre is so much defenence for veterians. I could
> cite some figures and analaysis from greater minds than mine ...- Hide quoted text -

I can help you with this question:

A female cat does not come into oestrus in the same way that a human
would.(ie; not regular cycles each month). A female cat in the wild
can't guarantee that she will meet a male at a specific time or date,
so instead, she chooses the time and the date. There are other factors
involved here, such as how many hours of daylight there is, is there
an abundance of food, ect. If there are all of these factors in place,
the females natural urge to mate will come into play, & she will start
calling.

Once she starts calling, you will know, believe me! Your female will
begin to call in a very different manner to which you are used to. She
will shout @ windows, & try and escape through open doors ect. She
will also rub her face on her humans, on mats, carpets, tables, in
fact anywhere that she can. this scent displays the fact that she is
ready to mate When she calls, she will attract every tom cat for a
couple of miles around you too. Outside our home you will have every
unneutered tom in the are trying to get to her!!

The way a cat ovulates is very different as well. As I have mentioned,
when your female is ready to mate, she will do anything that she can
to reach a male. Once she has, she will adopt a position called
lordosis, in which she looks like she is crawling with her back end up
in the air with her tail to one side, inviting the tom to mount her.
The male has a barbed penis, so once in, he will mate her, but when he
tries to remove his penis it scrapes the sides of her womb. This is
what induces her to ovulate, so that the sperm & the egg meet each
other, and develop into a kitten in her horn shaped uterus..(each
mating produces a different kitten too BTW, so each kitten can
actually have a different father!)

This is a very basic explanation, but I think I have told you the lost
important parts of how a cat calls, how they ovulate, & how they
become pregnant. I hope that this helps explain how & why a female cat
ovulates.

I know it might sound like we are going on @ you to get her fixed, but
please understand that we only have both yours and your cat's welfare
@ heart here. Each litter makes an extra litter that won't get homed
at a shelter. It is not against you personally. I hope that you do get
her fixed though (& this is coming from an ex breeder of Ragdolls &
Birmans BTW!!)...

I have to admit that the injections do sound quite expensive, but then
again, I live in the UK where the only injections that are really
essential are the flu jabs. We don't need rabies, or any other of the
shots that you might do, & that would explain the difference in the
price between our Countries. I would urge you to get them done though.
My reason for asking you to, is because however well intentioned we
are, accidents do happen. What if your baby were to escape, only to be
bitten by a rabid dog?
1: you would never forgive yourself
2: I understand the reasons that you state, but is the price worth
loosing your cat?

I also agree with some vets extortionate fee's, but because 1 vet is
bad, we shouldn't class them all in the same category. My advise to
you is to talk to someone else who lives near you to discuss good
vets, then book her in. Marri comes from the same neck of the woods as
you do, so she might be able to recommend someone to you. This way,
you know that you are going to someone who has your cats welfare @
heart, rather than his cash flow.
I hope that this helped you to understand how it all works, ands why
too.
Good Luck with getting her spayed, & the injections too. we would love
to hear how you got on as well, if you have the time to please?

Sheelagh >"o"<

mariib via CatKB.com
July 28th 07, 09:10 PM
Sheelagh >o< wrote:
> [...]
>bitten by a rabid dog?
>1: you would never forgive yourself
>2: I understand the reasons that you state, but is the price worth
>loosing your cat?
>
>I also agree with some vets extortionate fee's, but because 1 vet is
>bad, we shouldn't class them all in the same category. My advise to
>you is to talk to someone else who lives near you to discuss good
>vets, then book her in. Marri comes from the same neck of the woods as
>you do, so she might be able to recommend someone to you. This way,
>you know that you are going to someone who has your cats welfare @
>heart, rather than his cash flow.
>I hope that this helped you to understand how it all works, ands why
>too.
>Good Luck with getting her spayed, & the injections too. we would love
>to hear how you got on as well, if you have the time to please?

OK, Sheelagh's now answered the specific questions about cats & heat cycles.
As for the rest of his comments - it's not worth wasting time on any more
posts. Since he's got such fixed views on veterinarians, the danger & non-
necessity of vaccinations, the denial of airborne cat respiratory viruses etc
& I because I didn't remember seeing him post here before (wrong), I thought
I'd see what else he posts about on usenet: to get an idea of exactly who &
what we're responding to here, google the gentleman who started this thread
& take a look at some of his posts on ritalin addiction,
did the holocaust really happen, dianabol an anabolic steroid, & "pee-pee
time" on this news group.
M.

Sheelagh >o
July 28th 07, 09:39 PM
On 28 Jul, 21:10, "mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
> >too.
> >Good Luck with getting her spayed, & the injections too. we would love
> >to hear how you got on as well, if you have the time to please?
>
> >Sheelagh >"o"<
>
> OK, Sheelagh's now answered the specific questions about cats & heat cycles.
> As for the rest of his comments - it's not worth wasting time on any more
> posts. Since he's got such fixed views on veterinarians, the danger & non-
> necessity of vaccinations, the denial of airborne cat respiratory viruses etc
> & I because I didn't remember seeing him post here before (wrong), I thought
> I'd see what else he posts about on usenet: to get an idea of exactly who &
> what we're responding to here, google the gentleman who started this thread
> & take a look at some of his posts on ritalin addiction,
> did the holocaust really happen, dianabol an anabolic steroid, & "pee-pee

Thanks for the warning Marri.
Darn, what a waste of time & typing!

Sheelagh>"o"<

Matthew
July 28th 07, 09:52 PM
"Sheelagh >o<" >

Lesson number 2 of troll hunting Sheelagh is know your target it is nothing
to Google their email. If it comes up with nothing move on they are either
a newbie, using a remailer or hiding their true identify which means move on
it is not worth it they are a troll or just plain stupid.
If they spout political drivel or non sense like the OP has in other groups
move on. They are nuts jobs like David the one I was messing with was. It
can be fun to watch them break if you got the time and patience but most
just plunge deeper in their own world and get worse.

July 28th 07, 10:23 PM
On Jul 28, 3:52 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "Sheelagh >o<" >
>
> Lesson number 2 of troll hunting Sheelagh is know your target it is nothing
> to Google their email. If it comes up with nothing move on they are either
> a newbie, using a remailer or hiding their true identify which means move on
> it is not worth it they are a troll or just plain stupid.
> If they spout political drivel or non sense like the OP has in other groups
> move on. They are nuts jobs like David the one I was messing with was. It
> can be fun to watch them break if you got the time and patience but most
> just plunge deeper in their own world and get worse.

July 28th 07, 10:36 PM
On Jul 28, 3:52 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "Sheelagh >o<" >
>
> Lesson number 2 of troll hunting Sheelagh is know your target it is nothing
> to Google their email. If it comes up with nothing move on they are either
> a newbie, using a remailer or hiding their true identify which means move on
> it is not worth it they are a troll or just plain stupid.
> If they spout political drivel or non sense like the OP has in other groups
> move on. They are nuts jobs like David the one I was messing with was. It
> can be fun to watch them break if you got the time and patience but most
> just plunge deeper in their own world and get worse.

In all fairness, I simply asked whether it was practical to postpone
the cast's spaying for a year or so as I have a number of expenditures
to make. It is not a matter of not being able to afford it.

I think one poster provided me with the courtesty of an answer.

When times permits, I will try to provide a summary of respectable
literature which questions the necessity (and possible harm arising
from) vaccinations routinely given cats. This is not something I
invented myself.

If you want an idea of "who & what" you are responding to, you may
feel free to ask me or even email me privately (I use my own name and
do not indulge in the various internet tricks). If I am not worth
talking to because I have had addition problems with prescription
drugs or considererd using anabolic steroids to put on weight, then
fine. As to the holocaust bit, it is a very extensive thread on
soc.cult.isreal and nowhere did I deny the nazi war crimes, but I did
ask pointed questions about their motivation and extent in an an
attempt to ascertain what is really factually documented. I like to do
that on a variety of subjects and am not intimidated when people,
usually ones lacking persuasive responses, resort to character
assassination instead.

Matthew
July 28th 07, 11:20 PM
Update on lesson Number 2 sheelagh When they do something like this
definitely move on for you got a real pickle on your hands

bruce
July 29th 07, 12:42 AM
On Jul 27, 9:43 am, " >
wrote:
> My cat is almost a year old (born Septemer). She must had some puberty
> by now but nothing too discomfiting. What I want to know is, do heat
> cycles occur regularly, annually, predictably, or what? (What I REALLY
> want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying and
> innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
> rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)
>
> Thanks.
> Bill King

The cat usually comes through puberty about 6-7 months of age,
depending on when they were born, local environmental conditions
(food, water), and the time of the year.

Cats are induced ovulators, in that they will stay in heat and
receptive to a male until they are bred, or masturbated.

Your option other than surgery is to take a cotton tipped applicator,
put a small amount of KY jelly on it, and rub it inside the vulva for
a minute or less. This will induce ovulation, and she will not come
into heat for another three weeks probably. Dogs are different in
that they usually ovulate only twice yearly, while cats are like
rabbits and will repeatedly ovulate and carry litters throughout the
year.

A male in the vicinity can induce a pregnant female to abort, or will
regularly savage a new litter of kittens, specifically to induce the
female into another heat cycle and breeding session.

As far as vaccinations, the rabies is for your protection and the cats
since it is NOT species specific, and can be transferred to you
through a lick on open skin. The "distemper" and "leukemia" and
"immune deficiency" shots are specifically for the cat. They are not
generally required unless the cat is in the vicinity of other cats
(kennel, clinic, etc.) since most of these viruses can be carried
without clinical signs, and thus spread. The prudent and ethical
practitioner requires this vaccination protocol for the off chance
that your cat may become inoculated and ill. Honestly, most of these
vaccines are available over the counter, for the owner to administer,
but that is precisely when inopportune events (cancer sarcomas) are
most likely to occur.

If a cat is left intact, and does not breed, but is masturbated, there
is still the definite possibility of pyometra. Pyo- is of course
infection of the uterus, and once the cervix closes down (happens
about one third of the time) there is a closed abscessing uterus
within the cat, which is life threatening everytime.

Vaccines are tested for specific periods of time by the manufacturer,
by the rules of the government body that oversees them. This allows
them ONLY the ability to label for that specific period of year(s).
The vaccines no doubt protect longer than that in some animals, we
just don't know which ones. Thus, the necessity for repeated
vaccinations over a lifetime of the pet.

Hope this helps.

Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com
July 29th 07, 01:14 AM
Wow.....$300 for spaying....If our vets charged that much I wouldn't beable
to own one. My vet charged $85.00 and that included an overnight stay. My
Xena's shots were something like $110. My vet would not take her in for
spaying until she'd had all her shots... As for your other questions, I'm in
no position to answer...but maybe you should shop around for a more
reasonable vet.

wrote:
>> wrote:
>> >What I REALLY want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying
>[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
>> --
>
>First of all, the question was about recurrence of heat cycles.
>
>Monty is a srictly indoor cat (and therefore has a much chance of
>getting pregrant as I have) and I might add that she gets daily play,
>paid-for cat-sitting when I am at work, the best of cat food, and the
>run of every inch if my house.
>
>And yes, she gets medical care too - for which I pay. It is just that
>the vet requires not only $300 for a hysterectomy (which I have no
>quibble with), but three visits and the same cost or more for
>innoculationns against diseases she has no chance of getting.
>
>In fac, there is a serious debate within the verterinary profession
>whether these innoculations do more harm than good. For example, there
>is a risk of cancer at the injection site, which is why some vets now
>give the innoculation on a limb which, in case of cancer, can be
>removed. There is also the question of whether these repeated
>innoculations are being over-given in order to get cats back to the
>vet for their boosters more often. Why I call it exhortation is that
>no vet I called in my area will perform the hysterectromy without all
>the inncoluations (they lean on you for declawing (a form of
>mutilation) too. One even told me that they have no choice but in
>Ontario, at least, the only legally mandatory vaccination is against
>rabies. The standards of the veterian organizations are voluntary, so
>the lady who told me this seems to have been lying too.
>
>I don't think loving one's cat is inconcsistent with regarding
>veterinarism as a racket. But don't worry I DO love my cat! I would
>just like to postpone the $600 and four part-days off work (two JUST
>for needles) for awhile if it will do neither of us harm. THAT was the
>question I asked but I seem to have got answers to various other ones.
>
>Bil King

July 29th 07, 01:40 PM
On Jul 28, 6:42 pm, bruce > wrote:
> [...]
> vaccines are available over the counter, for the owner to administer,
> but that is precisely when inopportune events (cancer sarcomas) are
> most likely to occur.
>
> If a cat is left intact, and does not breed, but is masturbated, there
> is still the definite possibility of pyometra. Pyo- is of course
> infection of the uterus, and once the cervix closes down (happens
> about one third of the time) there is a closed abscessing uterus
> within the cat, which is life threatening everytime.
>
> Vaccines are tested for specific periods of time by the manufacturer,
> by the rules of the government body that oversees them. This allows
> them ONLY the ability to label for that specific period of year(s).
> The vaccines no doubt protect longer than that in some animals, we
> just don't know which ones. Thus, the necessity for repeated
> vaccinations over a lifetime of the pet.

I SURRENDER!

I got my cat-carrier last night and Monty will be 'fixed' pronto.

Thank you all for your responses. Ironically, although I have engaged
in a lot of controversial and heated discussions on the net, this is
the very first case in which TWO people have sent me private emails
(both containing more helpful information). I guess our cats bring out
the best in us!