PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Update

CatNipped
July 28th 07, 03:02 PM
The vet, last night, said she was still running a slight temperature and her
breathing and heart rate were up. She lost an additional .20 pounds in just
two day since the last vet visit (again, *WAY* too much for a cat to be
losing), but she wasn't severely dehydrated as I feared she might be. The
vet took another fecal sample, and still didn't find anything. She took an
x-ray of and palpitation on her stomach, and didn't find anything. She took
blood to be sent off for lab work. The lab work won't be back until next
week, but the vet said she really didn't think they would find anything
there either. She still believes it may be IBS brought on by stress. She
gave Sammy Metronidazole 250mg which she said should ease the irritation in
the intestines. She said this starts working in 24 - 48 hours.

Sammy looks like she feels better - she's out from under the bed and she
even came upstairs on her own last night. She still has loose stools, but
she isn't defecating as often, and she hasn't thrown up in the past 3 days.
She's still doesn't have much appetite, so I have been tempting her with her
favorite kitty crack, Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold dry food (which we usually
keep just for occasional snacks). I'm much rather see her eating her canned
food, but at this point I just want to see her get something down and keep
it down. I've put additional water bowls down throughout the house and keep
altering their location, so she's been drinking more (this is an old trick I
learned a long time ago - cats, having evolved in the desert, are
opportunistic about water sources - when they come across a new water source
they will always stop and take a drink just in case they don't find any
other water for a while).

All in all things are looking much better, but I sure would appreciate more
purrs for her recovery.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Lynne
July 28th 07, 03:46 PM
on Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:02:48 GMT, "CatNipped" >
wrote:

> All in all things are looking much better, but I sure would appreciate
> more purrs for her recovery.

I'm glad to hear she's on the mend. You may want to consider putting water
in the bowl with her dry food. My dog says this is particularly yummy, so
maybe Sammy will, too.

--
Lynne

Sheelagh >o
July 28th 07, 05:36 PM
On 28 Jul, 15:02, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> The vet, last night, said she was still running a slight temperature and her
> breathing and heart rate were up. She lost an additional .20 pounds in just
> two day since the last vet visit (again, *WAY* too much for a cat to be
> losing), but she wasn't severely dehydrated as I feared she might be. The
> vet took another fecal sample, and still didn't find anything. She took an
> x-ray of and palpitation on her stomach, and didn't find anything. She took
> blood to be sent off for lab work. The lab work won't be back until next
> week, but the vet said she really didn't think they would find anything
> there either. She still believes it may be IBS brought on by stress. She
> gave Sammy Metronidazole 250mg which she said should ease the irritation in
> the intestines. She said this starts working in 24 - 48 hours.
>
> Sammy looks like she feels better - she's out from under the bed and she
> even came upstairs on her own last night. She still has loose stools, but
> she isn't defecating as often, and she hasn't thrown up in the past 3 days.
> She's still doesn't have much appetite, so I have been tempting her with her
> favorite kitty crack, Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold dry food (which we usually
> keep just for occasional snacks). I'm much rather see her eating her canned
> food, but at this point I just want to see her get something down and keep
> it down. I've put additional water bowls down throughout the house and keep
> altering their location, so she's been drinking more (this is an old trick I
> learned a long time ago - cats, having evolved in the desert, are
> opportunistic about water sources - when they come across a new water source
> they will always stop and take a drink just in case they don't find any
> other water for a while).
>
> All in all things are looking much better, but I sure would appreciate more
> purrs for her recovery.
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Brilliant news. I'm pleased for you both.
Sometimes I add a bit of boiled water to the wet food too. My cats
seem to think it is part of what came out of the can & lap that up
too.

Keep us informed,
Sheelagh >"o"<

---MIKE---
July 28th 07, 09:26 PM
Why don't you add some acidolphoulis powder to Sammy's wet food to
replace the intestinal flora. It is tasteless and can be purchased at a
health food store. Don't buy it at the super market because it must be
refrigerated.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

CatNipped
July 28th 07, 10:07 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
Why don't you add some acidolphoulis powder to Sammy's wet food to
replace the intestinal flora. It is tasteless and can be purchased at a
health food store. Don't buy it at the super market because it must be
refrigerated.

Thanks, I'll have to ask my vet about the dosage.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cindys
July 29th 07, 02:52 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> Why don't you add some acidolphoulis powder to Sammy's wet food to
> replace the intestinal flora. It is tasteless and can be purchased at a
> health food store. Don't buy it at the super market because it must be
> refrigerated.
>
> Thanks, I'll have to ask my vet about the dosage.
----------
You can get the same benefit by feeding Sammy a little plain yogurt with
active cultures. I found out about this on a homeopathic feline remedy
website. When Alex was stressed out last spring (after having been boarded
for several days and was given A/D cat food without our permission), he also
had diarrhea and vomiting. I gave him a couple of spoonfuls of plain yogurt
with active cultures several times a day (and 5 mg of Pepcid once a day). He
was totally back to normal within two days.
Continued purrs for Sammy. Keep us posted.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

CatNipped
July 29th 07, 03:14 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message
>> Why don't you add some acidolphoulis powder to Sammy's wet food to
>> replace the intestinal flora. It is tasteless and can be purchased at a
>> health food store. Don't buy it at the super market because it must be
>> refrigerated.
>>
>> Thanks, I'll have to ask my vet about the dosage.
> ----------
> You can get the same benefit by feeding Sammy a little plain yogurt with
> active cultures. I found out about this on a homeopathic feline remedy
> website. When Alex was stressed out last spring (after having been boarded
> for several days and was given A/D cat food without our permission), he
> also had diarrhea and vomiting. I gave him a couple of spoonfuls of plain
> yogurt with active cultures several times a day (and 5 mg of Pepcid once a
> day). He was totally back to normal within two days.
> Continued purrs for Sammy. Keep us posted.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

I'll try that! I wouldn't worry so much about dosage if it's a natural
food.

Hugs,

CatNipped

---MIKE---
July 29th 07, 12:02 PM
The yogurt would do it IF Sammy will eat it. My cats would turn their
noses up at it. Acidolphulis IS a natural product. It is just live
cultures. Open one capsule and mix the powder into the wet food.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cindys
July 29th 07, 02:57 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
>The yogurt would do it IF Sammy will eat it. My cats would turn their
noses up at it.

And my cat normally goes crazy for it. I guess it depends on the cat.
However, if a cat has an upset stomach, he is going to turn his nose up at
any food. I used the Pepcid first to help settle his stomach, and once his
stomach felt better, he was lapping up the yogurt.

>Acidolphulis IS a natural product. It is just live
cultures. Open one capsule and mix the powder into the wet food.

There's no argument. I went with the yogurt because it was easier to obtain
(available at the local supermarket), and my cat loves it. If someone else's
cat doesn't like yogurt, then obviously the acidophilous powder on the
regular wet food is a better choice.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

CatNipped
July 29th 07, 03:20 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
The yogurt would do it IF Sammy will eat it. My cats would turn their
noses up at it. Acidolphulis IS a natural product. It is just live
cultures. Open one capsule and mix the powder into the wet food.

Ah! I think I remember getting some unflavored yogurt once before (I think
it was for Bandit) and they wouldn't eat it. Do you know what dosage would
be appropriate for a cat, Mike? That's the only thing I'm worried about.
I'm giving the kittens L-Lysine, which is also a natural substance, but I
found out that there are severe side effects if they're given too much.

Hugs,

CatNipped

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

---MIKE---
July 29th 07, 05:46 PM
Catnipped asked:

>> Do you know what dosage would be
>> appropriate for a cat, Mike? That's the
>> only thing I'm worried about.

I would open up one capsule and mix half of the contents in the wet
food. Also, ask your vet.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

CatNipped
July 29th 07, 10:57 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
Catnipped asked:

>> Do you know what dosage would be
>> appropriate for a cat, Mike? That's the
>> only thing I'm worried about.

I would open up one capsule and mix half of the contents in the wet
food. Also, ask your vet.

Thanks for the tip, I will!