PDA

View Full Version : Trimming nails

desgnr
July 30th 07, 02:56 PM
CC used to sit on my lap & let me trim her nails.
I never cut them to close & never hurt her.
But now when she see's me pick up the clippers,she hisses & runs.
How can i make it an easy process to trim her nails ?

Gail
July 30th 07, 03:40 PM
Try cutting only one nail. Immediately reinforce her with some food or a
treat. The other idea is to cut a few while she is napping. I always reward
my boys after I trim their nails so they associate it with something nice.
Gail
"desgnr" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> CC used to sit on my lap & let me trim her nails.
> I never cut them to close & never hurt her.
> But now when she see's me pick up the clippers,she hisses & runs.
> How can i make it an easy process to trim her nails ?

Rene S.
July 30th 07, 04:57 PM
On Jul 30, 9:40 am, "Gail" > wrote:
> Try cutting only one nail. Immediately reinforce her with some food or a
> treat. The other idea is to cut a few while she is napping. I always reward
> my boys after I trim their nails so they associate it with something nice.
> Gail"desgnr" > wrote in message

I echo what Gail says. I'd also try another silent trimmer. Perhaps
the popping sound might startle her. I like the "scissor" type of
clippers, which are a bit more expensive, but work great and don't
make noise when you use them. I also follow up with a treat.

Rene

Sheelagh >o
July 30th 07, 08:28 PM
On 30 Jul, 14:56, "desgnr" > wrote:
> CC used to sit on my lap & let me trim her nails.
> I never cut them to close & never hurt her.
> But now when she see's me pick up the clippers,she hisses & runs.
> How can i make it an easy process to trim her nails ?

All the advice I have seen so far looks excellent, & I concur with
every detail too, especially the treat program after each nail/claw
done.

When all else fails, you *could* always revert to the Old towel
method, by wrapping her up securely, so that she can't hurt herself,
or you either.. but that would be a "last resort method".

You could take her to the vet surgery & allow them to do it of course.
But, I realise that the cost of doing so, might be a factor along the
line here. but do consider it as well!

Good luck with doing her nails/ claws. It would be interesting to the
rest of us to know what did work for you both in the end, if you don't
mind re-posting that it? In the future, we can recommend what your
methods is, to others that ask the same question. Thanks in advance,
Sheelagh >"o"<

John Doe
July 31st 07, 05:17 AM
"Gail" > wrote:

> The other idea is to cut a few while she is napping.

Yeah, they are much more sedate when woken up from a nap.

I have to clip my new stray cat's claws sometime soon. Currently, he's
a light sleeper.