PDA

View Full Version : Are intact male cats stronger?

John Doe
July 31st 07, 05:25 AM
My last cat was a pre-neutered male (and a marvelous pet). Recently
I've come into contact with unneutered stray males and their bodies
are hard (as in very strong). I realize being in the
not-so-great-outdoors has something to do with it.

Do cats lose some muscle/strength after they are castrated?

--
By the way. I'm thinking scientific. I'm not trying to buck the
virtues of neutering.

AZ Nomad
July 31st 07, 01:50 PM
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 04:25:58 GMT, John Doe > wrote:

>My last cat was a pre-neutered male (and a marvelous pet). Recently
>I've come into contact with unneutered stray males and their bodies
>are hard (as in very strong). I realize being in the
>not-so-great-outdoors has something to do with it.

It has everything to do with it. There are also far fewer older strays.

Unless you live on a farm, you can't really domesticate an un-neutered male.
You'll end up with a household that smells like urine.

Rene S.
July 31st 07, 03:45 PM
On Jul 30, 11:25 pm, John Doe > wrote:
> My last cat was a pre-neutered male (and a marvelous pet). Recently
> I've come into contact with unneutered stray males and their bodies
> are hard (as in very strong). I realize being in the
> not-so-great-outdoors has something to do with it.
>
> Do cats lose some muscle/strength after they are castrated?

Intact male cats will travel a long distance to find a mate. They are
more muscular because they are constantly on the move and/or fighting.

Spayed/neutered cats, even with play sessions, do not have the urge to
roam, and so will not be as muscular.

bookie
July 31st 07, 05:43 PM
On 31 Jul, 05:25, John Doe > wrote:
> My last cat was a pre-neutered male (and a marvelous pet). Recently
> I've come into contact with unneutered stray males and their bodies
> are hard (as in very strong). I realize being in the
> not-so-great-outdoors has something to do with it.
>
> Do cats lose some muscle/strength after they are castrated?
>
> --
> By the way. I'm thinking scientific. I'm not trying to buck the
> virtues of neutering.

unneutered males have more of the hormone testosterone coursing
through ttheir veins and this has a big effect of how much muscle is
laid down, muscle tone, strength, even the shape and size of the jaw
and muzzle of a cat. neutering removes the testes which are the main
producers of testosterone, so therefore the neutered cat has less.
think about it; that's why males in most sepcies such as human are
bigger and stronger than the female, it is why men tend to be more
muscular than women and why some female athletes will do bizarre
things to themselves such as take steroids which increase the amount
of testosterone levels in their bodies because of the increase in
muscle tone, strength and stamina etc that this brings about.

Unfortunately these deluded individuals never seems to think of the
flip side of that such as developing terrible acne, extra hair on odd
parts of their bodies, and of course getting tested for steroids and
banned from their chosen sport (think about the chinese 'female'
swimmers from a couple of years back, or even the east german track
and field athletes, scary).

does this answer your question?

also has something to do with natural selection as someone else has
said; for the unneutered feral male to survive he must fight etc and
only those with a big muscular frame will survive and mate and get to
pass ontheir genes, weak ones will not tend to do that, so the genes
which code for big muscular males tend to be passed on much more and
hence you see more of those cats in the feral groups.

bookie