PDA

View Full Version : My four month old cat chews and chews

David Mooney
August 1st 07, 09:36 AM
My cat Jacob chews on cord, the spine of one of my books, the front edges of
a report cover, the front page of a paperback book, and my newspaper.

I think I know why he does it, but I don't know how to get him to stop. When
he was about two months to three months old I would let him play with my
hand where he would bite my hand (not to break the skin, but playfully).

Then, I stopped letting him to bite my hand because he bit a member of my
family playfully. How can I stop my little furball from gnawing on
everything?

bonbon
August 1st 07, 01:39 PM
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 04:36:10 -0400, "David Mooney" >
wrote:

>My cat Jacob chews on cord, the spine of one of my books, the front edges of
>a report cover, the front page of a paperback book, and my newspaper.
>
>I think I know why he does it, but I don't know how to get him to stop. When
>he was about two months to three months old I would let him play with my
>hand where he would bite my hand (not to break the skin, but playfully).
>
>Then, I stopped letting him to bite my hand because he bit a member of my
>family playfully. How can I stop my little furball from gnawing on
>everything?

He's no doubt teething, and it should soon pass. In the meantime, buy
him a few cat toys of his own, that he can demolish to his hearts
content.

-bonbon

AZ Nomad
August 1st 07, 02:14 PM
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 04:36:10 -0400, David Mooney > wrote:

>My cat Jacob chews on cord, the spine of one of my books, the front edges of
>a report cover, the front page of a paperback book, and my newspaper.

>I think I know why he does it, but I don't know how to get him to stop. When
>he was about two months to three months old I would let him play with my
>hand where he would bite my hand (not to break the skin, but playfully).

>Then, I stopped letting him to bite my hand because he bit a member of my
>family playfully. How can I stop my little furball from gnawing on
>everything?

Cords are easy -- coat them with habenero hot sauce such as "dave's insanity
sauce".

Try and find something appropriate for the kitty to chew. At 4 months, it's
probably just teething and will pass. Have lots of cat toys around. Maybe
even try dog rawhide chews.

Rene S.
August 1st 07, 08:50 PM
You can buy plastic tubing to cover the cords. Make sure to cover all
electrical cords for the risk of him hurting himself or starting a
fire. Close doors to rooms that have items he likes to chew.

See if he'll like playing with a big sock stuffed with catnip and
fiberfil. He'll be able to kick and chew it safely. Some cat owners
say their cats like dog rawhide treats, so that might be worth a try.

Give him lots of playtime to tire him out, so he has less energy to
devote to finding things to chew.