PDA

View Full Version : How Adult Adoptees Can Change Over Time

cybercat
August 1st 07, 08:22 PM
I love writing about my baby cat Gracie, not a baby at all but now about 7-8
years old. I adopted her when she was 1-2 years old, so she has been here a
while. She was a pregnant young adult who had her kittens in the summer of
2001 and had been at the shelter for four months when I adopted her.

At first, would accept petting, and was very friendly and inquisitive, but
never sought us out for affection.

After about a year here, she began coming to me when I was in bed,
approaching me with a series of little questioning meows. She'd get up on
the bed down at my feet and slowly approach my head, pausing until I
responded, giving her a sign that I wanted her to come up and lie down next
to me. If I did not, or just pretended to keep sleeping, she would peer at
me for a minute, make another little chirp, and move away.

Just this past year, after being here for five years, she stopped asking
permission and now approaches with a different tone, like an "Okay, here I
am, let the petting begin!" She just marches right up, plops down beside me
and headbutts my hand until I pet her. If I stop and start to fall asleeep
she headbutts me again.

I get less sleep but I love that she is this comfortable. :) I have
convinced her that she is mine and I am hers, and she has a right to me.

Something about the way trust builds over time makes these adult adoptees
very special, and every step closer even more cherished.

barb
August 1st 07, 10:34 PM
Lovely post. I enjoyed it.

Barb

cybercat
August 2nd 07, 02:38 AM
"Barb" > wrote in message
> Lovely post. I enjoyed it.

I'm glad you did. :) I am working on a little photo page, with pictures of
this character and her cousin Boo.

Cheryl
August 2nd 07, 02:41 AM
On Wed 01 Aug 2007 03:22:45p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

> I get less sleep but I love that she is this comfortable. :) I
> have convinced her that she is mine and I am hers, and she has a
> right to me.
>
> Something about the way trust builds over time makes these adult
> adoptees very special, and every step closer even more
> cherished.

Amen. Your posts about Gracie give me hope for Bonnie. But if she
never becomes tame, I will still love her. I'd just like it to be
easier to get her to the vet when it's time. Other than that, I can
live and let live.

--
Cheryl

bookie
August 2nd 07, 02:42 AM
On 2 Aug, 02:38, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Barb" > wrote in message

> > Lovely post. I enjoyed it.
>
> I'm glad you did. :) I am working on a little photo page, with pictures of
> this character and her cousin Boo.

i hope that nick, the chap who has just adopted the british blue bi-
colour cat, has read this and takes note; it may take time for your
furball to trust you but it is worth it inthe end

bookie