PDA

View Full Version : Best food for cats with cystitis

Rick Ulrich
August 2nd 07, 05:20 AM
Hi ...
One of our cats has bouts of cystitis and a person at work said she was
told, don't know by whom, that cats should not eat canned foods with fish in
it if they have cystitis.

Is anyone have knowledge of this and if so what would be the reason? The
only canned food Saffie will eat is Fancy Feast Fish and Shrimp.

We want her to eat more canned food because all dry food diet isn't good for
cats with cystitis or crystals.

Thanks, Rick & Rob

Sheelagh >o
August 2nd 07, 06:17 PM
On 2 Aug, 05:20, "Rick Ulrich" > wrote:
> Hi ...
> One of our cats has bouts of cystitis and a person at work said she was
> told, don't know by whom, that cats should not eat canned foods with fish in
> it if they have cystitis.
>
> Is anyone have knowledge of this and if so what would be the reason? The
> only canned food Saffie will eat is Fancy Feast Fish and Shrimp.
>
> We want her to eat more canned food because all dry food diet isn't good for
> cats with cystitis or crystals.
>
> Thanks, Rick & Rob

Hi,
I don't have a cat with cystitis, so I did a quick search, & the
overwhelming consensus of opinion by people who post here, is that you
must try and make sure that you keep your cat away from Dried food, &
introduce wet food only. It might be an idea for you to Ping Rene or
Jmc, because I think their cats have suffered with the same problem,
so they will be able to speak from experience, & provide better more
correct information than I can.
alternatively, in the space @ the top of the page where it Say's
search group, put in Best food for cats with cystitis, & you will come
up with all of the information on the archives that are on here
regarding the same problem. Be sure to write it in the "search this
group", before pressing return button.

Try this link. it might help you:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.pets.cats.health+behav/browse_frm/thread/3798b1ad94c51525/819ae16cd6fed254?lnk=gst&q=food+for+cystitis&rnum=4&hl=en#819ae16cd6fed254

Good Luck & I hope others might be able to help you a bit better than
I can. It is certainly quite a common complaint, so you will get help
here.,

Sheelagh >"o"<

Rene S.
August 2nd 07, 07:42 PM
\> I don't have a cat with cystitis, so I did a quick search, & the
> overwhelming consensus of opinion by people who post here, is that you
> must try and make sure that you keep your cat away from Dried food, &
> introduce wet food only. It might be an idea for you to Ping Rene or
> Jmc, because I think their cats have suffered with the same problem,
> so they will be able to speak from experience, & provide better more
> correct information than I can.
> alternatively, in the space @ the top of the page where it Say's
> search group, put in Best food for cats with cystitis, & you will come
> up with all of the information on the archives that are on here
> regarding the same problem. Be sure to write it in the "search this
> group", before pressing return button.

Hello,

Yes, my cat had bladder stones a number of years ago and I've since
switched to canned (now raw) food. I urge you to switch to canned
food. The added moisture flushes the kidneys, preventing concentrated
urine from building up and causing UTIs, stones, etc. I can also
relate to a cat who does not like canned food! With patience and
persistance, you can switch your cat too.

As for the fish in cat food, that's something I personally tend to shy
away from. I tend to feed things cats might eat in the wild: rabbit,
chicken, turkey. Since one of my cat has had several illnesses, I
figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

Here's a few articles you might find helpful:
http://www.catinfo.org
http://www.catinfo.org/#Common_Feline_Health_Problems_and_Their_Ties_to_D iet_
(scroll to the cystitis section)
http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_

Sheelagh >o
August 3rd 07, 11:48 AM
On 2 Aug, 19:42, "Rene S." > wrote:
> \> I don't have a cat with cystitis, so I did a quick search, & the
>
> > overwhelming consensus of opinion by people who post here, is that you
> > must try and make sure that you keep your cat away from Dried food, &
> > introduce wet food only. It might be an idea for you to Ping Rene or
> > Jmc, because I think their cats have suffered with the same problem,
> > so they will be able to speak from experience, & provide better more
> > correct information than I can.
> > alternatively, in the space @ the top of the page where it Say's
> > search group, put in Best food for cats with cystitis, & you will come
> > up with all of the information on the archives that are on here
> > regarding the same problem. Be sure to write it in the "search this
> > group", before pressing return button.
>
> Hello,
>
> Yes, my cat had bladder stones a number of years ago and I've since
> switched to canned (now raw) food. I urge you to switch to canned
> food. The added moisture flushes the kidneys, preventing concentrated
> urine from building up and causing UTIs, stones, etc. I can also
> relate to a cat who does not like canned food! With patience and
> persistance, you can switch your cat too.
>
> As for the fish in cat food, that's something I personally tend to shy
> away from. I tend to feed things cats might eat in the wild: rabbit,
> chicken, turkey. Since one of my cat has had several illnesses, I
> figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
>
> Here's a few articles you might find helpful:http://www.catinfo.orghttp://www.catinfo.org/#Common_Feline_Health_Problems_and_Their_Ties_...
> (scroll to the cystitis section)http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_

Tut, Tut,
Trust Sheelagh to get even that wrong. Sorry Rene!!

I skimmed over the text & as the word cystitis came up a few times I
"assumed" that you had been through it. Wrong of me, I know, but right
in as far as I thought you would know more than I did.
(That wouldn't be too hard:o)
Anyway, thanks for the advice, & next time I will read more than 3
posts just to make sure, Lol
Apologies,
Sheelagh>"o"<

silvercelt
August 3rd 07, 12:35 PM
On 3 Aug, 11:48, "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote:
> On 2 Aug, 19:42, "Rene S." > wrote:
>

> > \> I don't have a cat with cystitis, so I did a quick search, & the
>
> > > overwhelming consensus of opinion by people who post here, is that you
> > > must try and make sure that you keep your cat away from Dried food, &
> > > introduce wet food only. It might be an idea for you to Ping Rene or
> > > Jmc, because I think their cats have suffered with the same problem,
> > > so they will be able to speak from experience, & provide better more
> > > correct information than I can.
> > > alternatively, in the space @ the top of the page where it Say's
> > > search group, put in Best food for cats with cystitis, & you will come
> > > up with all of the information on the archives that are on here
> > > regarding the same problem. Be sure to write it in the "search this
> > > group", before pressing return button.
>
> > Hello,
>
> > Yes, my cat had bladder stones a number of years ago and I've since
> > switched to canned (now raw) food. I urge you to switch to canned
> > food. The added moisture flushes the kidneys, preventing concentrated
> > urine from building up and causing UTIs, stones, etc. I can also
> > relate to a cat who does not like canned food! With patience and
> > persistance, you can switch your cat too.
>
> > As for the fish in cat food, that's something I personally tend to shy
> > away from. I tend to feed things cats might eat in the wild: rabbit,
> > chicken, turkey. Since one of my cat has had several illnesses, I
> > figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
>
> > Here's a few articles you might find helpful:http://www.catinfo.orghttp://www.catinfo.org/#Common_Feline_Health_Pr......
> > (scroll to the cystitis section)http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_
>
> Tut, Tut,
> Trust Sheelagh to get even that wrong. Sorry Rene!!
>
> I skimmed over the text & as the word cystitis came up a few times I
> "assumed" that you had been through it. Wrong of me, I know, but right
> in as far as I thought you would know more than I did.
> (That wouldn't be too hard:o)
> Anyway, thanks for the advice, & next time I will read more than 3
> posts just to make sure, Lol
> Apologies,
> Sheelagh>"o"<- Hide quoted text -

you can get treats with cranberry in and that is good and natural way
of helping them

jmc
August 3rd 07, 02:01 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Rick Ulrich exclaimed (8/2/2007 1:50 PM):
> Hi ...
> One of our cats has bouts of cystitis and a person at work said she was
> told, don't know by whom, that cats should not eat canned foods with fish in
> it if they have cystitis.
>
> Is anyone have knowledge of this and if so what would be the reason? The
> only canned food Saffie will eat is Fancy Feast Fish and Shrimp.
>
> We want her to eat more canned food because all dry food diet isn't good for
> cats with cystitis or crystals.
>
> Thanks, Rick & Rob

Yuppers, I've been fighting this battle with Meep for ages. I don't
know about 'fish is bad for cystitis', but given a choice between fishy
canned food and non-fishy dry food, try to stick with the canned.

I read the "addicts" page that Rene posted, and am trying some of the
suggestions, with some success. Setting the regular meal times and
having no other food down between those times does seem to help. I've
also been putting just a couple nibbles of the dry on top - she'll eat
those nibbles then decide she's hungry enough to eat some of the rest.

I have to admit I'm cheating a little though. I'm leaving the wet food
out overnight (because she likes her food on the old side, go figure),
but taking anything left up in the morning. If it's all gone, I'll put
some down in the AM and take it up before I go to work. That way, I'm
not around for her to bug :) I like to sleep, so I leave some (but only
canned) down at night.

She's losing a little weight, but she had some to spare anyway. At any
rate, I haven't thrown away an uneaten portion of canned food in 3 days
now, and I haven't put down more than a handful of dry, so we really are
making progress.

As the page said, in the beginning it doesn't matter if it's "junk
food". Try all different brands & types, and keep records of what she
likes and doesn't like.

Good luck!

jmc

Rene S.
August 3rd 07, 02:05 PM
> I skimmed over the text & as the word cystitis came up a few times I
> "assumed" that you had been through it. Wrong of me, I know, but right
> in as far as I thought you would know more than I did.
> (That wouldn't be too hard:o)
> Anyway, thanks for the advice, & next time I will read more than 3
> posts just to make sure, Lol
> Apologies,
> Sheelagh>"o"<

No problem, Sheelagh,
It's certainly a related problem and some of the same information
applies.

Rhonda[_3_]
August 6th 07, 07:11 AM
Hi Rick,