PDA

View Full Version : Please Help - 8 yr old Cat w/ Sore on Head

Billy
August 7th 07, 01:05 AM
This weekend we noticed our white/black *indoor* cat had a patch of
his hair missing from his head just over the right eyelid. It appeared
as a nail scratch from our other more agressive cat as they play fight
sometimes. I applied some peroxide on a q-tip to the area. The next
day, the area turned a pinkish/red color and grew to the size of a
dime. The area is flat, not raised or depressed, but it was becoming
bloody/crusty so I applied more peroxide on a q-tip. After only a
couple of days it seems to be moving down closer to his upper eyelid
but not yet there. We noticed new open wounds within that small area
that my wife thinks is the result of him scratching. I dont know if
it's a scratch, a growth, cancerous, eczema, etc. My question for the
vet will be, why is he scratching this - what is the underlying
condition?

I fear it may be some cancerous lesion, but my wife thinks it it just
the result of a scratch.

We will be bringin him to the Vet in a couple of days but any of your
expeiences/knowledge with the possibilities of this type of feline
skin irritation would be helpful.

Matthew
August 7th 07, 01:19 AM
http://www.maxshouse.com/first_aid2.htm

"Billy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This weekend we noticed our white/black *indoor* cat had a patch of
> his hair missing from his head just over the right eyelid. It appeared
> as a nail scratch from our other more agressive cat as they play fight
> sometimes. I applied some peroxide on a q-tip to the area. The next
> day, the area turned a pinkish/red color and grew to the size of a
> dime. The area is flat, not raised or depressed, but it was becoming
> bloody/crusty so I applied more peroxide on a q-tip. After only a
> couple of days it seems to be moving down closer to his upper eyelid
> but not yet there. We noticed new open wounds within that small area
> that my wife thinks is the result of him scratching. I dont know if
> it's a scratch, a growth, cancerous, eczema, etc. My question for the
> vet will be, why is he scratching this - what is the underlying
> condition?
>
> I fear it may be some cancerous lesion, but my wife thinks it it just
> the result of a scratch.
>
> We will be bringin him to the Vet in a couple of days but any of your
> expeiences/knowledge with the possibilities of this type of feline
> skin irritation would be helpful.

Billy
August 7th 07, 02:52 AM
On Aug 6, 8:05 pm, Billy > wrote:
> This weekend we noticed our white/black *indoor* cat had a patch of
> his hair missing from his head just over the right eyelid. It appeared
> as a nail scratch from our other more agressive cat as they play fight
> sometimes. I applied some peroxide on a q-tip to the area. The next
> day, the area turned a pinkish/red color and grew to the size of a
> dime. The area is flat, not raised or depressed, but it was becoming
> bloody/crusty so I applied more peroxide on a q-tip. After only a
> couple of days it seems to be moving down closer to his upper eyelid
> but not yet there. We noticed new open wounds within that small area
> that my wife thinks is the result of him scratching. I dont know if
> it's a scratch, a growth, cancerous, eczema, etc. My question for the
> vet will be, why is he scratching this - what is the underlying
> condition?
>
> I fear it may be some cancerous lesion, but my wife thinks it it just
> the result of a scratch.
>
> We will be bringin him to the Vet in a couple of days but any of your
> expeiences/knowledge with the possibilities of this type of feline
> skin irritation would be helpful.

Here's a picture:
http://www.mywebnj.com/20070806.JPG

Matthew
August 7th 07, 03:10 AM
Clean the area with peroxide and a clean cloth put some Vaseline on it to
keep dirt out
GET TO THE VET ASAP it will need to be treated with more in likely
antibiotics cream and possible e-collar to keep the furball from scratching

IMO That is from scratching the area is probably infected and is causing
discomfort itching

"Billy" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Aug 6, 8:05 pm, Billy > wrote:
>> This weekend we noticed our white/black *indoor* cat had a patch of
>> his hair missing from his head just over the right eyelid. It appeared
>> as a nail scratch from our other more agressive cat as they play fight
>> sometimes. I applied some peroxide on a q-tip to the area. The next
>> day, the area turned a pinkish/red color and grew to the size of a
>> dime. The area is flat, not raised or depressed, but it was becoming
>> bloody/crusty so I applied more peroxide on a q-tip. After only a
>> couple of days it seems to be moving down closer to his upper eyelid
>> but not yet there. We noticed new open wounds within that small area
>> that my wife thinks is the result of him scratching. I dont know if
>> it's a scratch, a growth, cancerous, eczema, etc. My question for the
>> vet will be, why is he scratching this - what is the underlying
>> condition?
>>
>> I fear it may be some cancerous lesion, but my wife thinks it it just
>> the result of a scratch.
>>
>> We will be bringin him to the Vet in a couple of days but any of your
>> expeiences/knowledge with the possibilities of this type of feline
>> skin irritation would be helpful.
>
> Here's a picture:
> http://www.mywebnj.com/20070806.JPG

Spot
August 7th 07, 03:28 AM
It sounds like an abcess under the skin, He needs seen by a vet ASAP before
this spreads and gets worse. Don't be surprised if the vet doesn't have to
deliberately open the wound up to drain it so it heals properly.

Celeste

"Billy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This weekend we noticed our white/black *indoor* cat had a patch of
> his hair missing from his head just over the right eyelid. It appeared
> as a nail scratch from our other more agressive cat as they play fight
> sometimes. I applied some peroxide on a q-tip to the area. The next
> day, the area turned a pinkish/red color and grew to the size of a
> dime. The area is flat, not raised or depressed, but it was becoming
> bloody/crusty so I applied more peroxide on a q-tip. After only a
> couple of days it seems to be moving down closer to his upper eyelid
> but not yet there. We noticed new open wounds within that small area
> that my wife thinks is the result of him scratching. I dont know if
> it's a scratch, a growth, cancerous, eczema, etc. My question for the
> vet will be, why is he scratching this - what is the underlying
> condition?
>
> I fear it may be some cancerous lesion, but my wife thinks it it just
> the result of a scratch.
>
> We will be bringin him to the Vet in a couple of days but any of your
> expeiences/knowledge with the possibilities of this type of feline
> skin irritation would be helpful.

Billy
August 7th 07, 04:48 AM
On Aug 6, 10:28 pm, "Spot" > wrote:
> It sounds like an abcess under the skin, He needs seen by a vet ASAP before
> this spreads and gets worse. Don't be surprised if the vet doesn't have to
> deliberately open the wound up to drain it so it heals properly.
>
> Celeste
>
> "Billy" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > This weekend we noticed our white/black *indoor* cat had a patch of
> > his hair missing from his head just over the right eyelid. It appeared
> > as a nail scratch from our other more agressive cat as they play fight
> > sometimes. I applied some peroxide on a q-tip to the area. The next
> > day, the area turned a pinkish/red color and grew to the size of a
> > dime. The area is flat, not raised or depressed, but it was becoming
> > bloody/crusty so I applied more peroxide on a q-tip. After only a
> > couple of days it seems to be moving down closer to his upper eyelid
> > but not yet there. We noticed new open wounds within that small area
> > that my wife thinks is the result of him scratching. I dont know if
> > it's a scratch, a growth, cancerous, eczema, etc. My question for the
> > vet will be, why is he scratching this - what is the underlying
> > condition?
>
> > I fear it may be some cancerous lesion, but my wife thinks it it just
> > the result of a scratch.
>
> > We will be bringin him to the Vet in a couple of days but any of your
> > expeiences/knowledge with the possibilities of this type of feline
> > skin irritation would be helpful.- Hide quoted text -

It's not pus-like and raised, it rather flat and scabby.

Rhonda[_3_]
August 7th 07, 05:02 AM
I would stop the peroxide right away. Peroxide is a good cleaner but
also will not allow healing since it keeps sores open. It's good to use
once or if the sore becomes dirty or infected.

You might use something like betadine or iodine to prevent infection
until you can get into the vet (which I hope you can do tomorrow!)

It could be a skin problem, parasites, or any of a number of things. Our
cat started losing hair on his face and continued to lose more every
day. He also had a few sores. His turned out to food allergies.

Don't wait too long on this -- let us know what happens.

Rhonda

Billy wrote:
> This weekend we noticed our white/black *indoor* cat had a patch of
> his hair missing from his head just over the right eyelid. It appeared
> as a nail scratch from our other more agressive cat as they play fight
> sometimes. I applied some peroxide on a q-tip to the area. The next
> day, the area turned a pinkish/red color and grew to the size of a
> dime. The area is flat, not raised or depressed, but it was becoming
> bloody/crusty so I applied more peroxide on a q-tip. After only a
> couple of days it seems to be moving down closer to his upper eyelid
> but not yet there. We noticed new open wounds within that small area
> that my wife thinks is the result of him scratching. I dont know if
> it's a scratch, a growth, cancerous, eczema, etc. My question for the
> vet will be, why is he scratching this - what is the underlying
> condition?
>
> I fear it may be some cancerous lesion, but my wife thinks it it just
> the result of a scratch.
>
> We will be bringin him to the Vet in a couple of days but any of your
> expeiences/knowledge with the possibilities of this type of feline
> skin irritation would be helpful.

bookie
August 7th 07, 05:05 AM
On 7 Aug, 04:48, Billy > wrote:
> On Aug 6, 10:28 pm, "Spot" > wrote:
>

> > It sounds like an abcess under the skin, He needs seen by a vet ASAP before
> > this spreads and gets worse. Don't be surprised if the vet doesn't have to
> > deliberately open the wound up to drain it so it heals properly.
>
> > Celeste
>
> > "Billy" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > > This weekend we noticed our white/black *indoor* cat had a patch of
> > > his hair missing from his head just over the right eyelid. It appeared
> > > as a nail scratch from our other more agressive cat as they play fight
> > > sometimes. I applied some peroxide on a q-tip to the area. The next
> > > day, the area turned a pinkish/red color and grew to the size of a
> > > dime. The area is flat, not raised or depressed, but it was becoming
> > > bloody/crusty so I applied more peroxide on a q-tip. After only a
> > > couple of days it seems to be moving down closer to his upper eyelid
> > > but not yet there. We noticed new open wounds within that small area
> > > that my wife thinks is the result of him scratching. I dont know if
> > > it's a scratch, a growth, cancerous, eczema, etc. My question for the
> > > vet will be, why is he scratching this - what is the underlying
> > > condition?
>
> > > I fear it may be some cancerous lesion, but my wife thinks it it just
> > > the result of a scratch.
>
> > > We will be bringin him to the Vet in a couple of days but any of your
> > > expeiences/knowledge with the possibilities of this type of feline
> > > skin irritation would be helpful.- Hide quoted text -

> It's not pus-like and raised, it rather flat and scabby.- Hide quoted text -

either way, get him to a vet before he scratches it and makes it
worse, wash it with some saline solution too to clean it off, but get
him to a vet before it enlarges and becomes infected

Billy
August 7th 07, 04:04 PM
On Aug 7, 12:02 am, Rhonda > wrote:
> I would stop the peroxide right away. Peroxide is a good cleaner but
> also will not allow healing since it keeps sores open. It's good to use
> once or if the sore becomes dirty or infected.
>
> You might use something like betadine or iodine to prevent infection
> until you can get into the vet (which I hope you can do tomorrow!)
>
> It could be a skin problem, parasites, or any of a number of things. Our
> cat started losing hair on his face and continued to lose more every
> day. He also had a few sores. His turned out to food allergies.
>
> Don't wait too long on this -- let us know what happens.
>
> Rhonda
>

> Billy wrote:
> > This weekend we noticed our white/black *indoor* cat had a patch of
> > his hair missing from his head just over the right eyelid. It appeared
> > as a nail scratch from our other more agressive cat as they play fight
> > sometimes. I applied some peroxide on a q-tip to the area. The next
> > day, the area turned a pinkish/red color and grew to the size of a
> > dime. The area is flat, not raised or depressed, but it was becoming
> > bloody/crusty so I applied more peroxide on a q-tip. After only a
> > couple of days it seems to be moving down closer to his upper eyelid
> > but not yet there. We noticed new open wounds within that small area
> > that my wife thinks is the result of him scratching. I dont know if
> > it's a scratch, a growth, cancerous, eczema, etc. My question for the
> > vet will be, why is he scratching this - what is the underlying
> > condition?
>
> > I fear it may be some cancerous lesion, but my wife thinks it it just
> > the result of a scratch.
>
> > We will be bringin him to the Vet in a couple of days but any of your
> > expeiences/knowledge with the possibilities of this type of feline
> > skin irritation would be helpful.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone, you are a very helpful bunch. I did stop the peroxide
- wouldnt have thought of doing so unless I was able to get to Vet
quickly (not possible) so your suggestions were helpful. Strangely, it
does appear better today. We are taking him to the vet on Thurs - she
is the best vet and we wish to wait for her to return.

If the wound subsides, we will use the picture that I posted to show
her the progression, or vice-versa.

I just cant imagine what this whole thing is from - disease or wound.
Still puzzled about that.

Rene S.
August 7th 07, 04:08 PM
> Thanks everyone, you are a very helpful bunch. I did stop the peroxide
> - wouldnt have thought of doing so unless I was able to get to Vet
> quickly (not possible) so your suggestions were helpful. Strangely, it
> does appear better today. We are taking him to the vet on Thurs - she
> is the best vet and we wish to wait for her to return.
>
> If the wound subsides, we will use the picture that I posted to show
> her the progression, or vice-versa.
>
> I just cant imagine what this whole thing is from - disease or wound.
> Still puzzled about that.

Can you stop by the vet's office and get an e-collar to prevent her
from scratching it anymore?

Please, if the wound worsens or your cat has other symptoms
(lethargic, won't eat, fever), call your vet and request an earlier
appointment.

cybercat
August 7th 07, 04:18 PM
"Billy" > wrote
> Thanks everyone, you are a very helpful bunch. I did stop the peroxide
> - wouldnt have thought of doing so unless I was able to get to Vet
> quickly (not possible) so your suggestions were helpful.

The thing about peroxide is that it eats tissue--that's why it's great for
cleaning out wounds and good for getting rid of surface infection. But
after you get the wound clean, you need to stop the peroxide and let
it dry so it can heal. (My dentist says that people who use it as a mouth
rinse are doing more harm than good, as it sloughs off healthy gum
tissue.)

Strangely, it
> does appear better today. We are taking him to the vet on Thurs - she
> is the best vet and we wish to wait for her to return.
>
> If the wound subsides, we will use the picture that I posted to show
> her the progression, or vice-versa.
>
> I just cant imagine what this whole thing is from - disease or wound.
> Still puzzled about that.

I hope it's something easily taken care of . Let us know.

saxrocco via CatKB.com
August 7th 07, 09:37 PM
Billy - good luck with your cat. Hope he gets better, it is always sad
having an injured pet.
As most of you on here know I lost my 5 year old cat on Saturday unexpectedly
and I found this website by sheer chance. I am grateful to have met so many
cat lovers as there are a lot of people out there who are so cruel...
Your cat looks like my cat Rosieboy who stayed with my Mum when I left home 5
years ago.
The cat I have left now (Rover) I am going to cherish as he is my only baby
(he is 5).

cybercat wrote:
>> Thanks everyone, you are a very helpful bunch. I did stop the peroxide
>> - wouldnt have thought of doing so unless I was able to get to Vet
>> quickly (not possible) so your suggestions were helpful.
>
>The thing about peroxide is that it eats tissue--that's why it's great for
>cleaning out wounds and good for getting rid of surface infection. But
>after you get the wound clean, you need to stop the peroxide and let
>it dry so it can heal. (My dentist says that people who use it as a mouth
>rinse are doing more harm than good, as it sloughs off healthy gum
>tissue.)
>
>Strangely, it
>> does appear better today. We are taking him to the vet on Thurs - she
>> is the best vet and we wish to wait for her to return.
>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>> I just cant imagine what this whole thing is from - disease or wound.
>> Still puzzled about that.
>
>I hope it's something easily taken care of . Let us know.

Billy
August 10th 07, 07:47 PM
On Aug 7, 11:18 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Billy" > wrote
>
> > Thanks everyone, you are a very helpful bunch. I did stop the peroxide
> > - wouldnt have thought of doing so unless I was able to get to Vet
> > quickly (not possible) so your suggestions were helpful.
>
> The thing about peroxide is that it eats tissue--that's why it's great for
> cleaning out wounds and good for getting rid of surface infection. But
> after you get the wound clean, you need to stop the peroxide and let
> it dry so it can heal. (My dentist says that people who use it as a mouth
> rinse are doing more harm than good, as it sloughs off healthy gum
> tissue.)
>
> Strangely, it
>
> > does appear better today. We are taking him to the vet on Thurs - she
> > is the best vet and we wish to wait for her to return.
>
> > If the wound subsides, we will use the picture that I posted to show
> > her the progression, or vice-versa.
>
> > I just cant imagine what this whole thing is from - disease or wound.
> > Still puzzled about that.
>
> I hope it's something easily taken care of . Let us know.

This was a trauma wound likely caused by our other more agressive cat.
She cleaned the area with warm water on a cotton pad then applied one
of those funnel collars around his neck. She believes that he was
scratching or pawing at it thereby self-inflicting repetitive wounds
by re-opening the scabbed area. I was really concerned this was either
Basal Cell Carninoma or Squamous Cell Carninoma. His wound looked very
similar to the orange/white cats head pictures on the site to follow
below - just a smaller version of it but exactly in the same
vicitinity of the head. For those with cats with skin problems, a good
resource of all summarized possibilities is listed here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1338&articleid=202

***Lesson Learned:*** Do see a vet and dont try to self-diagnose, many
conditions similarly mimic others.

Matthew
August 10th 07, 08:02 PM
"Billy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Aug 7, 11:18 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Billy" > wrote
>>
>> > Thanks everyone, you are a very helpful bunch. I did stop the peroxide
>> > - wouldnt have thought of doing so unless I was able to get to Vet
>> > quickly (not possible) so your suggestions were helpful.
>>
>> The thing about peroxide is that it eats tissue--that's why it's great
>> for
>> cleaning out wounds and good for getting rid of surface infection. But
>> after you get the wound clean, you need to stop the peroxide and let
>> it dry so it can heal. (My dentist says that people who use it as a mouth
>> rinse are doing more harm than good, as it sloughs off healthy gum
>> tissue.)
>>
>> Strangely, it
>>
>> > does appear better today. We are taking him to the vet on Thurs - she
>> > is the best vet and we wish to wait for her to return.
>>
>> > If the wound subsides, we will use the picture that I posted to show
>> > her the progression, or vice-versa.
>>
>> > I just cant imagine what this whole thing is from - disease or wound.
>> > Still puzzled about that.
>>
>> I hope it's something easily taken care of . Let us know.
>>
>> --
>
> This was a trauma wound likely caused by our other more agressive cat.
> She cleaned the area with warm water on a cotton pad then applied one
> of those funnel collars around his neck. She believes that he was
> scratching or pawing at it thereby self-inflicting repetitive wounds
> by re-opening the scabbed area. I was really concerned this was either
> Basal Cell Carninoma or Squamous Cell Carninoma. His wound looked very
> similar to the orange/white cats head pictures on the site to follow
> below - just a smaller version of it but exactly in the same
> vicitinity of the head. For those with cats with skin problems, a good
> resource of all summarized possibilities is listed here:
> http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1338&articleid=202
>
> ***Lesson Learned:*** Do see a vet and dont try to self-diagnose, many
> conditions similarly mimic others.

Well now is when you get the camera out for the furball is going to hate the
e-collar ;-)

I am glad you followed everyone's advice about going to the vet. So many
people don't and it drives all of us crazy out here.

Ps Doctors make the worse patients why they self diagnose ;-)

Fear is something you create from not knowing best to shut up and deal with
it when you know what is going on as I always say
but always easier said than done :^)

Thanks for the update

-L.
August 11th 07, 04:10 AM
Matthew wrote:
> Clean the area with peroxide and a clean cloth put some Vaseline on it to
> keep dirt out

Sigh. Cleaning a wound once with peroxide is ok - after that, the
peroxide will kill any healing tissue.

Do not ever put vaseline on a wound. if it is infected with anerobic
bacteria, vaseline will cause it to abscess. It is much better to let
it dry naturally, and see the vet.

-L.

Sherry
August 11th 07, 05:03 AM
On Aug 10, 10:10 pm, "-L." > wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
> > Clean the area with peroxide and a clean cloth put some Vaseline on it to
> > keep dirt out
>
> Sigh. Cleaning a wound once with peroxide is ok - after that, the
> peroxide will kill any healing tissue.
>
> Do not ever put vaseline on a wound. if it is infected with anerobic
> bacteria, vaseline will cause it to abscess. It is much better to let
> it dry naturally, and see the vet.
>
> -L.

Yes, yes, yes. This is all true. I spend an entire summer having to go
to a
wound clinic to heal an incision. Peroxide kills the new cells that
are trying to
form as the wound tries to heal. Never use peroxide on any wound
except for
the initial cleaning of the wound.
FWIW, I had a cat who had a minor scab on his head once, and ended up
losing
hair around it the size of a dime or so. The vet said a bacterial
infection caused the
hair loss, gave us some Panalog to put on it, and it cleared up.
Weirdly enough,
the hair grew back in white. (this was a black cat).

Sherry

-L.
August 12th 07, 12:15 PM
Sherry wrote:
> Yes, yes, yes. This is all true. I spend an entire summer having to go
> to a
> wound clinic to heal an incision.

You did? Ouch!! Hope you are feeling better!

>Peroxide kills the new cells that
> are trying to
> form as the wound tries to heal. Never use peroxide on any wound
> except for
> the initial cleaning of the wound.
> FWIW, I had a cat who had a minor scab on his head once, and ended up
> losing
> hair around it the size of a dime or so. The vet said a bacterial
> infection caused the
> hair loss, gave us some Panalog to put on it, and it cleared up.
> Weirdly enough,
> the hair grew back in white. (this was a black cat).

That's really common, especially for wounds caused by other cats. The
patch will be completely bald and completely round. It looks really
weird.

-L.