PDA

View Full Version : lonely cat :(


MyClue
August 7th 07, 06:01 PM
Hey everyone

i only have one pet, my 2.5 year old cat. I recently started working
and she's left in my house alone all day 9-5. I really don't want her
to be lonely during the day but adopting another pet isn't really an
option. Any suggestions for what I can do to make her feel like she
has company? Would a radio playing all day do the trick?

mlbriggs
August 7th 07, 06:22 PM
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 10:01:43 -0700, MyClue wrote:

> Hey everyone
>
> i only have one pet, my 2.5 year old cat. I recently started working and
> she's left in my house alone all day 9-5. I really don't want her to be
> lonely during the day but adopting another pet isn't really an option.
> Any suggestions for what I can do to make her feel like she has company?
> Would a radio playing all day do the trick


Yes. Alternate between music and "talk". MLB

Rene S.
August 7th 07, 08:51 PM
If getting another cat isn't an option, try to rotate her toys every
few days to mix it up. Put some away and take some "new" ones out.
Leave out a paper bag or cardboard box, and make sure she has a nice
cat tree.

If your tv is newer, you can program it to come on at certain times.
Animal Planet or Discovery channel might be good options. They make
some DVDs for cats too, if you're interested.

Put a bird feeder or squirrel feeder near a window so she has some
entertainment.

You can buy treat balls (plastic balls that have a hole in them so
treats come out) and hide them around the house.

bonbon
August 7th 07, 09:45 PM
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 12:51:05 -0700, "Rene S."
> wrote:

>If getting another cat isn't an option, try to rotate her toys every
>few days to mix it up. Put some away and take some "new" ones out.
>Leave out a paper bag or cardboard box, and make sure she has a nice
>cat tree.
>
>If your tv is newer, you can program it to come on at certain times.
>Animal Planet or Discovery channel might be good options. They make
>some DVDs for cats too, if you're interested.
>
>Put a bird feeder or squirrel feeder near a window so she has some
>entertainment.
>
>You can buy treat balls (plastic balls that have a hole in them so
>treats come out) and hide them around the house.
>
These are all wonderful ideas that Rene S. suggested. You also might
want to consider a small goldfish tank for her to watch. Goldfish are
easy care.

-bonbon

Adam Helberg
August 8th 07, 07:55 AM
"bonbon" > wrote in message
...
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 12:51:05 -0700, "Rene S."
> > wrote:
>
>>If getting another cat isn't an option, try to rotate her toys every
>>few days to mix it up. Put some away and take some "new" ones out.
>>Leave out a paper bag or cardboard box, and make sure she has a nice
>>cat tree.
>>
>>If your tv is newer, you can program it to come on at certain times.
>>Animal Planet or Discovery channel might be good options. They make
>>some DVDs for cats too, if you're interested.
>>
>>Put a bird feeder or squirrel feeder near a window so she has some
>>entertainment.
>>
>>You can buy treat balls (plastic balls that have a hole in them so
>>treats come out) and hide them around the house.
>>
> These are all wonderful ideas that Rene S. suggested. You also might
> want to consider a small goldfish tank for her to watch. Goldfish are
> easy care.
>
> -bonbon

Better still put Bonbon in a cage for the cat to watch.

Adam

Rene S.
August 8th 07, 02:09 PM
> These are all wonderful ideas that Rene S. suggested. You also might
> want to consider a small goldfish tank for her to watch. Goldfish are
> easy care.
>
> -bonbon

This is a good idea too! Some cats love watching fish. Make sure the
bowl/tank is secure and has a lid so it's kitty proof.

bonbon
August 8th 07, 05:50 PM
>> These are all wonderful ideas that Rene S. suggested. You also might
>> want to consider a small goldfish tank for her to watch. Goldfish are
>> easy care.
>>
>> -bonbon
>
>Better still put Bonbon in a cage for the cat to watch.
>
>Adam
>
Hey, I'd do it Adam........however, I'm pretty high maintenance and I
believe that's what the OP was trying to avoid.

Laughs!

-bonbon

bonbon
August 8th 07, 05:52 PM
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 06:09:48 -0700, "Rene S."
> wrote:

>> These are all wonderful ideas that Rene S. suggested. You also might
>> want to consider a small goldfish tank for her to watch. Goldfish are
>> easy care.
>>
>> -bonbon
>
>This is a good idea too! Some cats love watching fish. Make sure the
>bowl/tank is secure and has a lid so it's kitty proof.

I thought about that too Rene S after I made that suggestion, and then
thought to myself.....'is ANYTHING really kitty proof'? They're such
little rascals.

-bonbon

Rene S.
August 8th 07, 07:06 PM
> >This is a good idea too! Some cats love watching fish. Make sure the
> >bowl/tank is secure and has a lid so it's kitty proof.
>
> I thought about that too Rene S after I made that suggestion, and then
> thought to myself.....'is ANYTHING really kitty proof'? They're such
> little rascals.
>
> -bonbon

Weeeeeeell, maybe it can't be totally kitty proof. I was thinking more
along the lines of not having an open bowl sitting there, where kitty
could just help himself to a snack!

silvercelt
August 8th 07, 07:58 PM
On 8 Aug, 11:06, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > >This is a good idea too! Some cats love watching fish. Make sure the
> > >bowl/tank is secure and has a lid so it's kitty proof.
>
> > I thought about that too Rene S after I made that suggestion, and then
> > thought to myself.....'is ANYTHING really kitty proof'? They're such
> > little rascals.
>
> > -bonbon
>
> Weeeeeeell, maybe it can't be totally kitty proof. I was thinking more
> along the lines of not having an open bowl sitting there, where kitty
> could just help himself to a snack!

Plenty of toys and a big comfy bed and some music and she be having a
party ;) Get toys where you can hide treats in them and that helps
her keep busy too.

James
August 9th 07, 12:15 AM
On Aug 8, 2:58 pm, silvercelt > wrote:
> On 8 Aug, 11:06, "Rene S." > wrote:
>
> > > >This is a good idea too! Some cats love watching fish. Make sure the
> > > >bowl/tank is secure and has a lid so it's kitty proof.
>
> > > I thought about that too Rene S after I made that suggestion, and then
> > > thought to myself.....'is ANYTHING really kitty proof'? They're such
> > > little rascals.
>
> > > -bonbon
>
> > Weeeeeeell, maybe it can't be totally kitty proof. I was thinking more
> > along the lines of not having an open bowl sitting there, where kitty
> > could just help himself to a snack!
>
> Plenty of toys and a big comfy bed and some music and she be having a
> party ;) Get toys where you can hide treats in them and that helps
> her keep busy too.

I'm lucky enough that my cat does her playing outdoors. She mostly
sleeps when she's indoors even if it's all day. Now about 17 months
she finds her own entertainment outdoors. I can no longer get her to
play with me like when she was a kit. She just loves to climb the
tree up to the roof. Most feeding time she's coming down from the
roof. Don't know why she likes the roof so much.

Candace
August 25th 07, 09:51 PM
On Aug 24, 3:43 pm, "Adam Helberg" > wrote:
>
> I don't think it's a good idea at all. If you love animals, not just cats, you should
> realize that using animals as amusement toys is wrong.
>
> Adam

Well, it's true. Something could happen. Years ago, I got a betta,
sort of for my cats to watch, sort of for me. He was in a bowl but it
had one of those covers that lets the air through but is supposedly
cat proof. My 2 at the time weren't overly interested so that was
never really a problem. The poor betta only lived a few months, I
don't know why, so that was the end of my fish ownership.

Now, I have a fake aquarium, the kind that you turn the light on and
there is a panel where the fish appear to move. Not a good
description. I'll try to find it online. My current cats are also
only semi-interested in it but the OP could get something like that to
rotate through with the other ideas. Mine find it vaguely interesting
if I haven't had it on for a while. I like it and turn it on and
watch it myself sometimes.

She could also get one of the Drinkwell fountains. I guess that not
only makes them drink more but they can also be fascinated by it (I
heard).

Candace

bookie
August 25th 07, 11:07 PM
On 8 Aug, 19:58, silvercelt > wrote:
> On 8 Aug, 11:06, "Rene S." > wrote:
>
> > > >This is a good idea too! Some cats love watching fish. Make sure the
> > > >bowl/tank is secure and has a lid so it's kitty proof.
>
> > > I thought about that too Rene S after I made that suggestion, and then
> > > thought to myself.....'is ANYTHING really kitty proof'? They're such
> > > little rascals.
>
> > > -bonbon
>
> > Weeeeeeell, maybe it can't be totally kitty proof. I was thinking more
> > along the lines of not having an open bowl sitting there, where kitty
> > could just help himself to a snack!
>
> Plenty of toys and a big comfy bed and some music and she be having a
> party ;) Get toys where you can hide treats in them and that helps
> her keep busy too.

toilet roll inners (the cardboard tube you would normally throw away)
are very good for this kind of thing, put a few smelly treats inside
the roll (whiskas temptations are good ones) and the cats like to draw
them out with theri paws. makes them 'do something' for their treat.
jessie likes this idea and i leave her some in an empty toilet roll
around the place for her to investigate and find during the few times
of the day when she is not asleep, or reminding the other 2 who is
boss. does mean that now she will stick her paw into every toilet roll
or kitchen roll tube she finds onthe floor as she probably thinks they
all contain treats.

bookie

bookie
August 25th 07, 11:09 PM
On 25 Aug, 21:51, Candace > wrote:
> On Aug 24, 3:43 pm, "Adam Helberg" > wrote:
>
>
>
> > I don't think it's a good idea at all. If you love animals, not just cats, you should
> > realize that using animals as amusement toys is wrong.
>
> > Adam
>
> Well, it's true. Something could happen. Years ago, I got a betta,
> sort of for my cats to watch, sort of for me. He was in a bowl but it
> had one of those covers that lets the air through but is supposedly
> cat proof. My 2 at the time weren't overly interested so that was
> never really a problem. The poor betta only lived a few months, I
> don't know why, so that was the end of my fish ownership.
>
> Now, I have a fake aquarium, the kind that you turn the light on and
> there is a panel where the fish appear to move. Not a good
> description. I'll try to find it online. My current cats are also
> only semi-interested in it but the OP could get something like that to
> rotate through with the other ideas. Mine find it vaguely interesting
> if I haven't had it on for a while. I like it and turn it on and
> watch it myself sometimes.
>
> She could also get one of the Drinkwell fountains. I guess that not
> only makes them drink more but they can also be fascinated by it (I
> heard).
>
> Candace

I used to have a video years ago of a an aquarium, filmed so that the
aquarium filled the whole screen and it would look like a huge
goldfish tank. I had it mainly for chilling out and 'coming down'
again after a big night out clubbing (this was of course a long time
ago).
i through it out during a clear out when i moved once, wish I had kept
it now.

bookie

Candace
August 26th 07, 01:38 AM
On Aug 25, 1:51 pm, Candace > wrote:

> Now, I have a fake aquarium, the kind that you turn the light on and
> there is a panel where the fish appear to move. Not a good
> description. I'll try to find it online. My current cats are also
> only semi-interested in it but the OP could get something like that to
> rotate through with the other ideas. Mine find it vaguely interesting
> if I haven't had it on for a while. I like it and turn it on and
> watch it myself sometimes.
>
Here's like the one I have. Mine was only 25, there's one down at the
bottom of the page that is that price.

http://www.jmcutlery.com/soothingaquarium.html

Candace