PDA

View Full Version : my oldest cat won't look at me

David Mooney
August 7th 07, 09:43 PM
Velvet is a 5 year old cat (she was my first cat) and she won't look at me
in the eyes. When I pet her, she averts her gaze and keeps her head turned
away from me. She has only begun this a few months ago Does anyone have any
ideas what the problem may be? She has always been a loving cat but she
doesn't get into my lap anymore or sleep on the bed with me as she used to.

Does anyone have any ideas what is up? I have three other cats. Thanks,

..

mlbriggs
August 7th 07, 09:58 PM
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:43:58 -0400, David Mooney wrote:

> Velvet is a 5 year old cat (she was my first cat) and she won't look at me
> in the eyes. When I pet her, she averts her gaze and keeps her head turned
> away from me. She has only begun this a few months ago Does anyone have
> any ideas what the problem may be? She has always been a loving cat but
> she doesn't get into my lap anymore or sleep on the bed with me as she
> used to.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what is up? I have three other cats. Thanks,

IMHO she probably feels displaced by the other cats which she can smell on
you. MLB

bonbon
August 7th 07, 10:00 PM
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 16:43:58 -0400, "David Mooney" >
wrote:

>Velvet is a 5 year old cat (she was my first cat) and she won't look at me
>in the eyes. When I pet her, she averts her gaze and keeps her head turned
>away from me. She has only begun this a few months ago Does anyone have any
>ideas what the problem may be? She has always been a loving cat but she
>doesn't get into my lap anymore or sleep on the bed with me as she used to.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas what is up? I have three other cats. Thanks,

Maybe she's mad at you for some reason? Have you changed her diet
recently? Perhaps she feels she's not getting her share of your
attention?

-bonbon

John Doe
August 7th 07, 10:40 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote:

> Velvet is a 5 year old cat (she was my first cat) and she won't look
> at me in the eyes. When I pet her, she averts her gaze and keeps her
> head turned away from me. She has only begun this a few months ago
> Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? She has always
> been a loving cat but she doesn't get into my lap anymore or sleep
> on the bed with me as she used to.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what is up? I have three other cats.
> Thanks,

Eye to eye contact can be intimidating to a cat, depending on the
tension level. Are you exhibiting frustration? Demanding eye to eye
contact? Some things cannot be done straightforward. For example, if
your cat is irrationally afraid of you, grabbing it, shaking it, and
proclaiming "THERE'S NO REASON TO BE AFRAID OF ME, STUPID!" isn't
going to help the situation.

The other cats might be causing a lot of tension. Understanding those
cat-to-cat relationship problems can be very difficult, what you
see/observe can be deceiving.

I also agree with the other reply about a change of diet, it can cause
a night and day difference in a cat's disposition.

Good luck and have fun.

jmagerl[_2_]
August 7th 07, 10:42 PM
From the book "What is my cat thinking" by G. Bailey
"Cats stare to threaten each other and prolongd eye contact can cause all
cats, trusting or not , to worry and move away"

So I guess she doesn't want to threaten you

"David Mooney" > wrote in message
. ..
> Velvet is a 5 year old cat (she was my first cat) and she won't look at me
> in the eyes. When I pet her, she averts her gaze and keeps her head turned
> away from me. She has only begun this a few months ago Does anyone have
> any ideas what the problem may be? She has always been a loving cat but
> she doesn't get into my lap anymore or sleep on the bed with me as she
> used to.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what is up? I have three other cats. Thanks,
>
> .

bookie
August 7th 07, 10:58 PM
On 7 Aug, 21:43, "David Mooney" > wrote:
> Velvet is a 5 year old cat (she was my first cat) and she won't look at me
> in the eyes. When I pet her, she averts her gaze and keeps her head turned
> away from me. She has only begun this a few months ago Does anyone have any
> ideas what the problem may be? She has always been a loving cat but she
> doesn't get into my lap anymore or sleep on the bed with me as she used to.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what is up? I have three other cats. Thanks,
>
> .

please don't stare at her and force eye contact with her, cats find
this intimidating and she obviously does judging by her behaviour, so
don't stress her out even more by forcing it on her. spend time with
her but without initiating any contact and certainly no eye contact or
even stare at her, just sit quietly with her and be in her company for
a while and wait for her to come to you.
if you insist on staring at her or trying to make eye conatct she will
find it threatening and will be even less likely to come to you.

bookie

David Mooney
August 8th 07, 01:55 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 7 Aug, 21:43, "David Mooney" > wrote:
>> Velvet is a 5 year old cat (she was my first cat) and she won't look at
>> me
>> in the eyes. When I pet her, she averts her gaze and keeps her head
>> turned
>> away from me. She has only begun this a few months ago Does anyone have
>> any
>> ideas what the problem may be? She has always been a loving cat but she
>> doesn't get into my lap anymore or sleep on the bed with me as she used
>> to.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas what is up? I have three other cats. Thanks,
>>
>> .
>
> please don't stare at her and force eye contact with her, cats find
> this intimidating and she obviously does judging by her behaviour, so
> don't stress her out even more by forcing it on her. spend time with
> her but without initiating any contact and certainly no eye contact or
> even stare at her, just sit quietly with her and be in her company for
> a while and wait for her to come to you.
> if you insist on staring at her or trying to make eye conatct she will
> find it threatening and will be even less likely to come to you.
>
> bookie

David
Hi I appreciate all the feedback I have got over the last 24 hours. Thank
You all very much/

cybercat
August 8th 07, 05:02 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote

> Hi I appreciate all the feedback I have got over the last 24 hours. Thank
> You all very much/

David, Let us know how it works out. Cats can be so mean! My baby
Gracie does this whole ritual every single morning, as soon as I wake
she comes to me, greets me, stretches, scratches her scratch pad,
talks to me.

This morning: NOTHING. She's nowhere to be found. I thought,
did she get out when my husband went to work? Is she sick, has
she crawled under something and can't come out?

DID SHE DIE IN THE NIGHT?!!

An hour later she emerged like nothing had happened.

We had an overnight guest last night, and I guess Her Highness
felt she had to pout about being put out of HER guest room.

Matthew
August 8th 07, 05:08 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> We had an overnight guest last night, and I guess Her Highness
> felt she had to pout about being put out of HER guest room.
Bad cat slave disrupt the masters routines as if ;-)

Lynne
August 8th 07, 06:04 PM
on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 16:02:38 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> We had an overnight guest last night, and I guess Her Highness
> felt she had to pout about being put out of HER guest room.

you are obviously a cat abusing thug. The "guest" room is not for guests,
duh!

--
Lynne