PDA

View Full Version : Why all of a sudden my 2 cats cannot get along after years of troublefree caring?

August 10th 07, 03:25 PM
I hope someone can provide me with some answers or advice:

I have 2 cats, mother and son. The son was the only cat in the litter
so we have kept him and they have lived together, mother and son ever
since. The mother is now ~5 years old, and the son is 2.5 years old.
I have always felt I was extreamly lucky to have such well mannered,
playfull, and happy cats. The two always got along (with the
exception of the younger "son" cat sometimes playing a little rough,
but never enough to really seriously bother the mother cat).

Last week this all changed. I do not know what has happened to my 2
cats, but I can no longer keep them together in the same room, unless
I am there to carefully watch them. Even then, they will hiss at each
other. Usually its the mother cat hissing at her younger son, but
sometimes the younger cat will give her mother "cat eyes" (just
staring, twitching, and communicating in some way I do not understand)
and eventually this upsets the mother and the hissing starts. Or
sometimes the younger cat will take a swing at the mother cat with her
paw. Other times the mother cat swings at her son. Its difficult to
tell who is instigating this fighting.

The younger cat has grown into quite a big animal. Not fat, just a
really big cat. Mother cat is big too, but not near as big as this
younger cat.

Now, when I have the cats seperated from each other, they both are
still really affectionate (just as they always were). When they are
together, they both hiss and growl at each other. Its actually really
sad to see this since the 2 cats have always been the best of friends,
but this past week something has caused this to change.

Does anyone know if this is a temporary thing? Is there anything I
can do to help resolve this? Should I allow the 2 cats to growl at
each other and let them work it out, or should I keep them seperated
for a while? How long? Please can someone help me get my family back
together?

August 10th 07, 03:30 PM
PS: After reading some other posts in this group, I thought it might
be usefull to note that we have not moved or made any big changes
lately. However, one change we did make approximately a week or two
ago was we bought a new brand of cat food. We fed our cats the Iams
branded food all their lives, and last week we bought some other brand
(Wiskas or Wiskers or something?). We had left over Iams so we feed
them a blend of Iams + Wiskas dry food.

I understand changes in food can cause animals to behave differently,
but I just cant believe food would make my cats so mean to each
other. I will change back to Iams as soon as I get home today and
see if it makes any difference.

Id still appreciate any advice to help me with my situation. Thanks.

Rene S.
August 10th 07, 03:52 PM
You didn't mention if both were spayed/neutered. If not, this may be
your problem.

If they are both altered, it's possible one or the other saw another
cat/dog/animal outside and is redirecting he/she is redirecting her/
his aggression toward the other. Not at all uncommon. I had this
happen over a year ago with my two (not related). I had to reintroduce
them, keeping them in separate areas and slowly allowing them more and
more time together.

barb
August 10th 07, 04:53 PM
Are you walking into the house with the smell of another cat on you? Or is
another cat hanging out in the area? This kind of thing could set my cats
off and make mortal enemies out of best buddies.

Barb

cybercat
August 10th 07, 05:43 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> You didn't mention if both were spayed/neutered. If not, this may be
> your problem.

Exactly what I was thinking.

> If they are both altered, it's possible one or the other saw another
> cat/dog/animal outside and is redirecting he/she is redirecting her/
> his aggression toward the other. Not at all uncommon. I had this
> happen over a year ago with my two (not related). I had to reintroduce
> them, keeping them in separate areas and slowly allowing them more and
> more time together.

Another good idea.

In the latter case, it will probably pass.

Charlie Wilkes
August 10th 07, 10:35 PM
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 07:25:33 -0700, angry.dot wrote:

> Does anyone know if this is a temporary thing? Is there anything I can
> do to help resolve this? Should I allow the 2 cats to growl at each
> other and let them work it out, or should I keep them seperated for a
> while? How long? Please can someone help me get my family back
> together?

I would separate these cats. I had an situation very similar to this,
and it never resolved itself. Many years ago, I ended up with 2 kittens,
brother and sister, and they were best friends for about a year and a
half, and then all of a sudden, the dynamics changed. The larger male
cat (even though he was neutered) began to harass and intimidate the
female. I live in a rural place, and these were indoor/outdoor cats, and
the male more or less drove the female off into the bush. It was a
learning experience for me.

Charlie

John Doe
August 11th 07, 12:43 AM
wrote:

> I hope someone can provide me with some answers or advice:

I don't know.

But when I see the subject line, I think about my limited experience,
with two cats that just could not get along. Maybe experience is the only
teacher. Whatever, it was very unpleasant/difficult.

Good luck.

August 14th 07, 02:29 PM
On Aug 10, 6:35 pm, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:
> I would separate these cats. I had an situation very similar to this,
> and it never resolved itself. Many years ago, I ended up with 2 kittens,
> brother and sister, and they were best friends for about a year and a
> half, and then all of a sudden, the dynamics changed. The larger male
> cat (even though he was neutered) began to harass and intimidate the
> female. I live in a rural place, and these were indoor/outdoor cats, and
> the male more or less drove the female off into the bush. It was a
> learning experience for me.

Thank you for all your responses.

I thought I would post an update. Yes, both cats have been nutered/
fixed. I spent the whole weekend with my 2 cats. I dont usually
spend my weekends at home so I thought having both cats in the same
room with me supervising might help make things better. Well, each
day things have been improving. The mother cat (smaller cat), is not
hissing at the bigger younger cat anymore. In fact, they have even
begun cleaning (licking) each other again. However, over the past few
days, I have come to notice that the bigger male (son) cat will start
licking his mother, but then he starts biting. The mother cat will
get upset and run away, and the son will chase after her. I think
this might be upsetting the mother cat and she is probably sick of her
hyper son. I am going to have to keep a closer eye on the cats when
Im at home and be sure to dicipline the 2 year old son cat when he
starts bugging his mom.

dgk
August 14th 07, 07:35 PM
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 06:29:57 -0700, wrote:

>On Aug 10, 6:35 pm, Charlie Wilkes >
>wrote:
>> I would separate these cats. I had an situation very similar to this,
>> and it never resolved itself. Many years ago, I ended up with 2 kittens,
>> brother and sister, and they were best friends for about a year and a
>> half, and then all of a sudden, the dynamics changed. The larger male
>> cat (even though he was neutered) began to harass and intimidate the
>> female. I live in a rural place, and these were indoor/outdoor cats, and
>> the male more or less drove the female off into the bush. It was a
>> learning experience for me.
>
>Thank you for all your responses.
>
>I thought I would post an update. Yes, both cats have been nutered/
>fixed. I spent the whole weekend with my 2 cats. I dont usually
>spend my weekends at home so I thought having both cats in the same
>room with me supervising might help make things better. Well, each
>day things have been improving. The mother cat (smaller cat), is not
>hissing at the bigger younger cat anymore. In fact, they have even
>begun cleaning (licking) each other again. However, over the past few
>days, I have come to notice that the bigger male (son) cat will start
>licking his mother, but then he starts biting. The mother cat will
>get upset and run away, and the son will chase after her. I think
>this might be upsetting the mother cat and she is probably sick of her
>hyper son. I am going to have to keep a closer eye on the cats when
>Im at home and be sure to dicipline the 2 year old son cat when he
>starts bugging his mom.

Licking at my house always ends up in a fight. Any of my three
furballs will start licking another, then the staring begins, and then
the pouncing. They're all around the same age (3-4) so they're willing
to get into it. I think that older cats aren't as willing to expend
the energy. Sort of like me, I guess.