PDA

View Full Version : Tabby and Oreo

August 10th 07, 09:14 PM
I recently found two stray kittens. My parents won't let me keep them
as pets, but they bought them food and are letting us keep them in the
backyard. We've had them for about 4 days. I check their litter- they
have diarreah(sp). It's yellowish and runny. I fed them ham, before my
mom knew about them, then my mom suggested we feed them tuna. So, the
day after, we fed them tuna from a can. Then my mom told my dad to get
the kitten chow(purina). They've been eating and drinking normally,
and they are pretty playful. They'll chase a string, and bat at us
playfully. They're fine. My mom thinks that the girls (the kittens)
are 6-7 weeks old. Since their poo isn't getting better, and since
they aren't OUR pets, really, is there something I could try before
asking my parents to take them to the vet? I'm pretty sure it's just
cause they are malnourished. When we found them, they were really
skinny, and I could feel every bone in their bodies. I'm just really
worried about them- I don't want them to suffer. But they don't seem
to be in pain... Tabby's eyes are a little dischargy, but Oreo seems
okay... I don't know. I'm just reallllllllyyyyy worried. :( I need
something I can do other than take them to the Vet- that's NOT an
option with my parents. And I can't take them by myself... I'm only
14. I've never had a long term pet... The last pet I had was a fish
and he died. D:
Also, anyone have any ideas for homemade toys? A shoestring is okay,
but Tabby doesn't seem to like it as much as Oreo. I'm working with
the basics here...

Rene S.
August 10th 07, 09:45 PM
Thank you for caring about these kittens. Unfortunately, I think these
babies will need a trip to the vet to be helped. Internal parasites
(worms) are common in kittens, and they will need treatment. Being so
young, I would *not* go to the store and buy some de-wormer. This
could be toxic to such young kittens. They might also have fleas and
possibly an upper respiratory infection (causes discharge and crusty
eyes, sneezing).

I know you won't want to hear this, but these kitties need an indoor,
permanent home, not just a backyard. I'm sure you care for them, but
the best way to help them would be to find them a home. Is there a
reason your parents won't let you have them indoors?

As for toys, be careful with the shoestring. Some cats try to eat
strings, so put it away after you're done playing with it. Ping-pong
balls, crumpled pieces of tin foil, paper bags and boxes are all
things cats like.

August 10th 07, 09:59 PM
We can't afford kittens right now- I hate to say it. I've asked
around, and nobody wants them. We live in a more doggish neighborhood.
The only other thing I think I can do is ask around some more, and
maybe try sneaking them to the nearest vet. (There's one along the way
to my school.) Until I can do this, I'll do my best.

I don't let them have the string unless we're playing with it. I've
given them a sock filled with chopped up straw, cat nip, and crumpled
wax paper, then tied it. They seem to enjoy batting it around.

Cheryl
August 11th 07, 01:37 AM
On Fri 10 Aug 2007 04:59:35p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> We can't afford kittens right now- I hate to say it. I've asked
> around, and nobody wants them. We live in a more doggish
> neighborhood. The only other thing I think I can do is ask
> around some more, and maybe try sneaking them to the nearest
> vet. (There's one along the way to my school.) Until I can do
> this, I'll do my best.
>
> I don't let them have the string unless we're playing with it.
> I've given them a sock filled with chopped up straw, cat nip,
> and crumpled wax paper, then tied it. They seem to enjoy batting
> it around.

Taking them to the vet is probably the best solution. I know
they're cute and fun to play with but they need more if they're
going to thrive. The vet can't possibly turn away a child with
kittens needing a home, at least I know mine wouldn't.

You're very good to have taken care of them so far. They probably
wouldn't have survived without your care. Good luck to all of you.

--
Cheryl

bookie
August 11th 07, 01:59 AM
On 10 Aug, 21:45, "Rene S." > wrote:
> Thank you for caring about these kittens. Unfortunately, I think these
> babies will need a trip to the vet to be helped. Internal parasites
> (worms) are common in kittens, and they will need treatment. Being so
> young, I would *not* go to the store and buy some de-wormer. This
> could be toxic to such young kittens. They might also have fleas and
> possibly an upper respiratory infection (causes discharge and crusty
> eyes, sneezing).
>
> I know you won't want to hear this, but these kitties need an indoor,
> permanent home, not just a backyard. I'm sure you care for them, but
> the best way to help them would be to find them a home. Is there a
> reason your parents won't let you have them indoors?
>
> As for toys, be careful with the shoestring. Some cats try to eat
> strings, so put it away after you're done playing with it. Ping-pong
> balls, crumpled pieces of tin foil, paper bags and boxes are all
> things cats like.

i agree with issues about shoestring; not good toy unless fully
supervised, one of my cats ingested totally something simlar and it
got caught up in her intestines and she had to be rushed to the vets
for emergency and expnsive surgery to remove it or she would have died

also
GET THESE KITTIES TO A VETS ASAP!!!!!!! TAKE SOME CONTROL AND TELL
YOUR PARENTS THAT IT HAS TO HAPPEN, DO WHATEVER YOU CAN DO, CRY, THROW
TANTRUMS, THREATEN TO RUN AWAY FROM HOME, I DON'T CARE, JUST DO THE
RIGHT THING AND GET THEM EITHETR TO A VET ASAP OR TO A NON-KILL
SHELTER. OR THEY WILL DIE

did you get that? if you don't do something THEY WILL DIE, kittens are
very fragile and vulnerable and they need immediate help. I am not
keen on guilt trips but... if i knew that my inaction had caused the
death of 2 innocent trusting kitties i would not be able to live with
myself, will you be able to?

do whatever it takes to help these kitties, they are depending on you
for their very lives.

bookie

Rene S.
August 13th 07, 02:40 PM
> Taking them to the vet is probably the best solution. I know
> they're cute and fun to play with but they need more if they're
> going to thrive. The vet can't possibly turn away a child with
> kittens needing a home, at least I know mine wouldn't.
>
> You're very good to have taken care of them so far. They probably
> wouldn't have survived without your care. Good luck to all of you.

I agree. Perhaps the vet can find them a new home. Otherwise, do you
know of any no-kill animal shelters in your area?(check your yellow
pages and the internet) Your parents would give you a ride to an
animal shelter, wouldn't they?