PDA

View Full Version : Ear Mites Question

W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.Com
August 14th 07, 03:37 AM
Big 13 yrs young Oscar the full breed Maine Coon cat has ear mites (the
black goey stuff) in one ear. ....Anything over the counter you might
recommend?

--
William K. Mahler, http://www.mahlers.com &
http://www.worldmediahost.com

Charlie Wilkes
August 14th 07, 04:16 AM
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:37:54 -0400, W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.Com wrote:

> Big 13 yrs young Oscar the full breed Maine Coon cat has ear mites (the
> black goey stuff) in one ear. ....Anything over the counter you might
> recommend?

If you're in the U.S., I think you will have to get a vet to prescribe
the stuff. But the ear mites are easily treated once you have it.

Charlie

Sherry
August 14th 07, 05:58 AM
On Aug 13, 9:37 pm, "W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.Com"
> wrote:
> Big 13 yrs young Oscar the full breed Maine Coon cat has ear mites (the
> black goey stuff) in one ear. ....Anything over the counter you might
> recommend?
>
> --
> William K. Mahler,http://www.mahlers.com&http://www.worldmediahost.com

Black gooey stuff isn't a 100% guarantee Oscar has ear mites, though.
I was absolutely sure Yoda had
ear mites once and it wasn't. The vet needs to look at his ears
through an otoscope to be sure.
Just in case someone suggests Tee Tree Oil--don't use it. It's toxic
to cats. It must be the trendy new
folk remedy for ear mites, because there is forever some volunteer at
the shelter bringing a bottle of
Tee Tree Oil to "doctor" the cats with. I seriously am considering
frisking new volunteers for the stuff
when they walk in. :-)
Good luck to Oscar. Is he scratching his ear a lot? If he isn't, I'd
bet it's not ear mites.

Sherry

sheelagh >\o\
August 14th 07, 10:40 AM

Lol, I thought that was so true, yet hilarious @ the same time

>Good luck to Oscar. Is he scratching his ear a lot? If he isn't, I'd
>bet it's not ear mites
Me too,
Sheelagh >"o"<

--
Sheelagh >"o"<

Rene S.
August 14th 07, 04:54 PM
> Black gooey stuff isn't a 100% guarantee Oscar has ear mites, though.
> I was absolutely sure Yoda had
> ear mites once and it wasn't. The vet needs to look at his ears
> through an otoscope to be sure.

I agree. The best way to get a diagnosis is to see a vet. Don't buy
over the counter ear mite treatments--they don't generally work.
Please have this looked at. Left untreated, ear mites can cause
hearing damage, not to mention being extremely uncomfortable for the
cat.