PDA

View Full Version : Just a sweet story

Stan Brown
August 14th 07, 12:28 PM
I took the garbage out to the trash can in the garage Sunday, and
noticed a black cat walking determinedly up my driveway, about 100
feet from street to garage. There are a couple of cats in the
neighborhood, but I don't remember seeing this one before.

I was in sandals, and this cat started rolling on the ground and
rubbing its head on my toes, then stood up and rubbed against my
shins. Not being made of stone, of course I scratched it and petted
it.

After a few minutes I sat on the nearby steps and the mutual
affection society went on, with purring at increasing volume. I would
have loved to give it a home, but it must have a home because it
*clearly* had not missed any meals lately. It was declawed (all four
feet), so I wonder if it may have been an indoor cat that got out
that day.

It was just a really nice 15 minutes. My own Dexter died in 1997
(kidney failure) and since then I've been catless for one reason or
another, so this was a special treat for me.

--
"The Internet is famously powered by the twin engines of
bitterness and contempt." -- Nathan Rabin, /The Onion/

sheelagh via CatKB.com
August 14th 07, 12:56 PM
Stan Brown wrote:
>I took the garbage out to the trash can in the garage Sunday, and
>noticed a black cat walking determinedly up my driveway, about 100
>feet from street to garage. There are a couple of cats in the
>neighborhood, but I don't remember seeing this one before.
>
>I was in sandals, and this cat started rolling on the ground and
>rubbing its head on my toes, then stood up and rubbed against my
>shins. Not being made of stone, of course I scratched it and petted
>it.
>
>After a few minutes I sat on the nearby steps and the mutual
>affection society went on, with purring at increasing volume. I would
>have loved to give it a home, but it must have a home because it
>*clearly* had not missed any meals lately. It was declawed (all four
>feet), so I wonder if it may have been an indoor cat that got out
>that day.
>
>It was just a really nice 15 minutes. My own Dexter died in 1997
>(kidney failure) and since then I've been catless for one reason or
>another, so this was a special treat for me.

You see, he picked you for a reason. It is my belife that all male cats who
roll over & over, really mean..

"Well, Hello Darling, & how are you this fine day"?

Keep an eye out for him?
A fat gut doesn't necessarily mean a homed cat. I put a community bowl out
twice a day, & we have some real porkers that eat from the bowl, who are very
obviously not homed.

The inside cat theory is possible, but I'm certain that there would have been
pictures all over the neighborhood, looking for him, or even reward promises.
I hope he turns up again. If he does, then you can give him a scritch from me
too.

Sheelagh >"o"<

--
Sheelagh >"o"<

bookie
August 14th 07, 01:14 PM
On 14 Aug, 12:28, Stan Brown > wrote:
> I took the garbage out to the trash can in the garage Sunday, and
> noticed a black cat walking determinedly up my driveway, about 100
> feet from street to garage. There are a couple of cats in the
> neighborhood, but I don't remember seeing this one before.
>
> I was in sandals, and this cat started rolling on the ground and
> rubbing its head on my toes, then stood up and rubbed against my
> shins. Not being made of stone, of course I scratched it and petted
> it.
>
> After a few minutes I sat on the nearby steps and the mutual
> affection society went on, with purring at increasing volume. I would
> have loved to give it a home, but it must have a home because it
> *clearly* had not missed any meals lately. It was declawed (all four
> feet), so I wonder if it may have been an indoor cat that got out
> that day.
>
> It was just a really nice 15 minutes. My own Dexter died in 1997
> (kidney failure) and since then I've been catless for one reason or
> another, so this was a special treat for me.
>
> --
> "The Internet is famously powered by the twin engines of
> bitterness and contempt." -- Nathan Rabin, /The Onion/
> http://OakRoadSystems.com/

i am a bit worried that a fully declawed cat is allowed out when it
has no means to properly defend itself, you sure it had not been made
homeless?

bookie

barb
August 14th 07, 02:40 PM
Your story is sweet but it may be just the beginning.

My treasured Sapphire cat was found in the street by a little girl who was
playing and feeding her. I went over and admired the little almost full
grown cat and the girl told me she had been a stray in the neighborhood for
3 weeks. We had been hearing a cat crying in the early mornings. I picked
up the beautiful black cat with a little white heart of fur under her chin
and knew she was really special. The little girl's mom wouldn't let her
keep her because they already had too many pets. My son put a Polaroid pic
of her in our clubhouse with our phone number. A week later I was angry to
realize that she had been declawed and then left out to fend for herself. I
took down the picture and she became mine. Sapphire remained with me for
1/4 of my life and the rest of her life. Sometimes the cat you find in the
street is a magical being!

Barb

bonbon
August 14th 07, 03:07 PM
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:28:44 -0400, Stan Brown
> wrote:

>I took the garbage out to the trash can in the garage Sunday, and
>noticed a black cat walking determinedly up my driveway, about 100
>feet from street to garage. There are a couple of cats in the
>neighborhood, but I don't remember seeing this one before.
>
>I was in sandals, and this cat started rolling on the ground and
>rubbing its head on my toes, then stood up and rubbed against my
>shins. Not being made of stone, of course I scratched it and petted
>it.
>
>After a few minutes I sat on the nearby steps and the mutual
>affection society went on, with purring at increasing volume. I would
>have loved to give it a home, but it must have a home because it
>*clearly* had not missed any meals lately. It was declawed (all four
>feet), so I wonder if it may have been an indoor cat that got out
>that day.
>
>It was just a really nice 15 minutes. My own Dexter died in 1997
>(kidney failure) and since then I've been catless for one reason or
>another, so this was a special treat for me.

You got the subject line in this one right for sure. It truly is a
sweet story. Please keep an eye on the situation since the pootie has
been declawed (GAK).

From everything you wrote in your post, I would conclude that this
kitty has chosen you for a reason.

What are you going to name your new cat?

-bonbon

Sheelagh >o
August 14th 07, 05:31 PM
On 14 Aug, 15:07, bonbon > wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:28:44 -0400, Stan Brown
>

> > wrote:
> >I took the garbage out to the trash can in the garage Sunday, and
> >noticed a black cat walking determinedly up my driveway, about 100
> >feet from street to garage. There are a couple of cats in the
> >neighborhood, but I don't remember seeing this one before.
>
> >I was in sandals, and this cat started rolling on the ground and
> >rubbing its head on my toes, then stood up and rubbed against my
> >shins. Not being made of stone, of course I scratched it and petted
> >it.
>
> >After a few minutes I sat on the nearby steps and the mutual
> >affection society went on, with purring at increasing volume. I would
> >have loved to give it a home, but it must have a home because it
> >*clearly* had not missed any meals lately. It was declawed (all four
> >feet), so I wonder if it may have been an indoor cat that got out
> >that day.
>
> >It was just a really nice 15 minutes. My own Dexter died in 1997
> >(kidney failure) and since then I've been catless for one reason or
> >another, so this was a special treat for me.
>
> You got the subject line in this one right for sure. It truly is a
> sweet story. Please keep an eye on the situation since the pootie has
> been declawed (GAK).
>
> From everything you wrote in your post, I would conclude that this
> kitty has chosen you for a reason.
>
> What are you going to name your new cat?
>
> -bonbon- Hide quoted text -

LOL,
I so nearly said the same thing, then thought the better of it.

On reflection, I think I was wrong, & I should have said that too.
Anyone who lets a cat like that out once declawed is not being a
proper slave to the poor cat, & therefore requires a better one.

Might I suggest Magic?
Best Wishes,
Sheelagh >"o"<

bonbon
August 14th 07, 11:28 PM
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:31:42 -0700, "Sheelagh >o<"
> wrote:

>On 14 Aug, 15:07, bonbon > wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:28:44 -0400, Stan Brown

>LOL,
>I so nearly said the same thing, then thought the better of it.
>
>On reflection, I think I was wrong, & I should have said that too.
>Anyone who lets a cat like that out once declawed is not being a
>proper slave to the poor cat, & therefore requires a better one.
>
>Might I suggest Magic?

Or Jinx, Onyx, or for a long one.....Abracadabra? (Abby for short)

-bonbon

>Best Wishes,
>Sheelagh >"o"<

Stan Brown
August 15th 07, 12:52 AM
Purrs to all who responded.

I'd never seen this cat before, and I've kept an eye out since then
and haven't seen her/him.

If he/she was trying to adopt me, she/he may have thought "What's
wrong with this guy. It would be polite at least to offer me
something to at. I'm moving on!" Or he/she may come back.

I hard a couple people say "that cat chose you for a reason." We'll
see if I was chosen, or just visited. I'll report any new
developments.

One thing's sure, a declawed cat would be an indoor cat in my book.
(And no, I wouldn't have it done myself. I'm talking about if I
adopted one that had already been declawed.)

--
"The Internet is famously powered by the twin engines of
bitterness and contempt." -- Nathan Rabin, /The Onion/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Sheelagh >o
August 15th 07, 06:53 PM
On 15 Aug, 00:52, Stan Brown > wrote:
> Purrs to all who responded.
>
> I'd never seen this cat before, and I've kept an eye out since then
> and haven't seen her/him.
>
> If he/she was trying to adopt me, she/he may have thought "What's
> wrong with this guy. It would be polite at least to offer me
> something to at. I'm moving on!" Or he/she may come back.
>
> I hard a couple people say "that cat chose you for a reason." We'll
> see if I was chosen, or just visited. I'll report any new
> developments.
>
> One thing's sure, a declawed cat would be an indoor cat in my book.
> (And no, I wouldn't have it done myself. I'm talking about if I
> adopted one that had already been declawed.)
>
> --
> "The Internet is famously powered by the twin engines of
> bitterness and contempt." -- Nathan Rabin, /The Onion/
> http://OakRoadSystems.com/

On 15 Aug, 00:52, Stan Brown > wrote:
> Purrs to all who responded.

This was a really good story & brought a grin to my face every time I
thought about it. I'm so pleased that you shared it with us.
Generally, most posts are all to do with sick, rejected & sad stories,
so it was great to have one that uplifted the mood rather than
depressing it for a change.

> I'd never seen this cat before, and I've kept an eye out since then
> and haven't seen her/him.

I very much hope that you do see him. By the sound of him, he will let
you know if he is around in the neighborhood, that is for sure.......

> If he/she was trying to adopt me, she/he may have thought "What's
> wrong with this guy. It would be polite at least to offer me
> something to at. I'm moving on!" Or he/she may come back.

Lol, probably, but then again, he might have just been buttering you
up ready for the Big- Bang when he comes back to stay.

I have had this happen before with a ginger fellow. I saw him around
several times, & one day he literally knocked on our door, walked
straight past me, & headed for the kitchen! I was so surprised that I
stood there with my jaw hung open....
He went straight for the cat bowls, & after a nice full belly, made
his way to the living room & plonked himself down on the softest chair
in the room. To this day it is still his favourite chair, & he allows
us to slave for him.

> I hard a couple people say "that cat chose you for a reason." We'll
> see if I was chosen, or just visited. I'll report any new
> developments.

That would be wonderful, as long as you don't mind?

If I have learnt anything through this story, it is that the is a cat
shaped hole in your life, for sure! Give him a month or so, & if by
sheer bad luck, someone beat you to the bite to eat, I would say it's
time for you to go and collect a cat sized shape to fill that hole in
your life and heart too. I can tell that you have a lot of love to
share, & I'm certain that the right kitty is out there just waiting
for you to claim them.

I look forward to hearing from you again. Magic, Onyx or Blossom are
all nice names, now we need the candidate to accept it :o)
Best Wishes,
Sheelagh >"o"<