PDA

View Full Version : My cat ignores me since visits to the vet

Jay Rimmer
August 14th 07, 03:04 PM
A little history, Klondike, a female black and white long hair adopted
us about 8 months ago. The first visit went well, shots de-worming,
and treatment for ear mites. Fast forward about 6 months and it's
time for her to be spayed. She's not too thrilled about the whole
deal but after a little pouting she decides wants to be loved on. A
little over a month after that she has to go back because of
dermatitis from fleas (Advantage did nothing). This time involves
getting doused with Frontline, another shot, and medicine twice a day.
Before almost any time I sat down, she was in my lap now aside from
announcing when it's food time, she has nothing to do with me. Did I
over draw from the kitty trust bank? My wife says she'll come around,
but it's been 2 weeks and I'm still getting the cold shoulder. She
tolerates being petted but that's it. She and Luci are the first cats
we've had in about 15 years and I had forgotten much I enjoyed having
a purring fur ball in my lap. Am I going to get my cat back?

bonbon
August 14th 07, 03:18 PM
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:04:04 -0400, Jay Rimmer >
wrote:

>A little history, Klondike, a female black and white long hair adopted
>us about 8 months ago. The first visit went well, shots de-worming,
>and treatment for ear mites. Fast forward about 6 months and it's
>time for her to be spayed. She's not too thrilled about the whole
>deal but after a little pouting she decides wants to be loved on. A
>little over a month after that she has to go back because of
>dermatitis from fleas (Advantage did nothing). This time involves
>getting doused with Frontline, another shot, and medicine twice a day.
>Before almost any time I sat down, she was in my lap now aside from
>announcing when it's food time, she has nothing to do with me. Did I
>over draw from the kitty trust bank? My wife says she'll come around,
>but it's been 2 weeks and I'm still getting the cold shoulder. She
>tolerates being petted but that's it. She and Luci are the first cats
>we've had in about 15 years and I had forgotten much I enjoyed having
>a purring fur ball in my lap. Am I going to get my cat back?

Of course you'll get her back. Every cat is different in personality,
so you just need to relax a bit. Klondike no doubt senses your
frustration. Heck, give her the 'cold shoulder' back now and then.
Cat's can't stand that.

-bonbon

Jay Rimmer[_2_]
August 14th 07, 03:50 PM
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:18:45 -0500, bonbon > wrote:
>>we've had in about 15 years and I had forgotten much I enjoyed having
>>a purring fur ball in my lap. Am I going to get my cat back?
>
>Of course you'll get her back. Every cat is different in personality,
>so you just need to relax a bit. Klondike no doubt senses your
>frustration. Heck, give her the 'cold shoulder' back now and then.
>Cat's can't stand that.

I tried that at first, and she just ignored me right back. Then I
tried bribing her with tuna. Guess I do need to be a little more
patient.

Matthew
August 14th 07, 04:49 PM
"Jay Rimmer" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:18:45 -0500, bonbon > wrote:
>>>we've had in about 15 years and I had forgotten much I enjoyed having
>>>a purring fur ball in my lap. Am I going to get my cat back?
>>
>>Of course you'll get her back. Every cat is different in personality,
>>so you just need to relax a bit. Klondike no doubt senses your
>>frustration. Heck, give her the 'cold shoulder' back now and then.
>>Cat's can't stand that.
>>
> I tried that at first, and she just ignored me right back. Then I
> tried bribing her with tuna. Guess I do need to be a little more
> patient.

Yes You do over a year and a half ago I had to take my Rumble in the vet
every other day to monitor his sugar due to his diabetes. That lasted for
about 3 months. A few things happened one we got Rumbles sugar under
control and he has been insulin free for over a year Two We rescued
Ka'shay Three Rumble if I walked towards him or made sudden movements
would run away from me. When I went to pick him up he would cringe from me.
I know he thinks he was going back the TED it took awhile, lot of patience
and a lot of butt kissing on my part but he came around. It took months for
him to calm down

Just this last week I had to hold Ka'Shay down and clip her nails. I got
bunny kicked, bit and scratched all to hell. She has never done this for 3
days she would hiss at me and run away when I got near her.

Rene S.
August 14th 07, 04:57 PM
> I tried that at first, and she just ignored me right back. Then I
> tried bribing her with tuna. Guess I do need to be a little more
> patient.

She'll get over it. Cats crave routine. Go back to your daily life and
treat her the way you did before all the vet trips. She'll come
around. It's far better to take her to the vets and have her be
"annoyed" for a while than to not treat her.

Jay Rimmer[_3_]
August 14th 07, 05:43 PM
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:57:21 -0700, "Rene S."
> wrote:

>> I tried that at first, and she just ignored me right back. Then I
>> tried bribing her with tuna. Guess I do need to be a little more
>> patient.
>
>She'll get over it. Cats crave routine. Go back to your daily life and
>treat her the way you did before all the vet trips. She'll come
>around. It's far better to take her to the vets and have her be
>"annoyed" for a while than to not treat her.

Yeah, I've tried to explain that it was for her own good, but she
doesn't listen to me.

Jay Rimmer[_3_]
August 14th 07, 05:43 PM
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:49:22 -0400, "Matthew"
> wrote:

>>>Cat's can't stand that.
>>>
>> I tried that at first, and she just ignored me right back. Then I
>> tried bribing her with tuna. Guess I do need to be a little more
>> patient.
>
>Yes You do over a year and a half ago I had to take my Rumble in the vet
>every other day to monitor his sugar due to his diabetes. That lasted for
>about 3 months. A few things happened one we got Rumbles sugar under
>control and he has been insulin free for over a year Two We rescued
>Ka'shay Three Rumble if I walked towards him or made sudden movements
>would run away from me. When I went to pick him up he would cringe from me.
>I know he thinks he was going back the TED it took awhile, lot of patience
>and a lot of butt kissing on my part but he came around. It took months for
>him to calm down
>
>Just this last week I had to hold Ka'Shay down and clip her nails. I got
>bunny kicked, bit and scratched all to hell. She has never done this for 3
>days she would hiss at me and run away when I got near her.

Ok, patience it is.

Sheelagh >o
August 14th 07, 05:44 PM
On 14 Aug, 16:49, "Matthew" > wrote:

> >>Of course you'll get her back. Every cat is different in personality,
> >>so you just need to relax a bit. Klondike no doubt senses your
> >>frustration. Heck, give her the 'cold shoulder' back now and then.
> >>Cat's can't stand that.
>
> > I tried that at first, and she just ignored me right back. Then I
> > tried bribing her with tuna. Guess I do need to be a little more
> > patient.
>
> Yes You do over a year and a half ago I had to take my Rumble in the vet
> every other day to monitor his sugar due to his diabetes. That lasted for
> about 3 months. A few things happened one we got Rumbles sugar under
> control and he has been insulin free for over a year Two We rescued
> Ka'shay Three Rumble if I walked towards him or made sudden movements
> would run away from me. When I went to pick him up he would cringe from me.
> I know he thinks he was going back the TED it took awhile, lot of patience
> and a lot of butt kissing on my part but he came around. It took months for
> him to calm down
>
> Just this last week I had to hold Ka'Shay down and clip her nails. I got
> bunny kicked, bit and scratched all to hell. She has never done this for 3
> days she would hiss at me and run away when I got near her.

> Just this last week I had to hold Ka'Shay down and clip her nails. I got
> bunny kicked, bit and scratched all to hell. She has never done this for 3
> days she would hiss at me and run away when I got near her.

Tut Tut, Matthew. You should know that a girl prefers to do her own
nail-work, Lol :o)

No, seriously, Cats just do this sort of thing @ times. As humans, we
do the same thing too. I don't know anyone who doesn't go through a
grouchy patch now & again, so why do we think it is different for
cats? I say let her pout for a little longer; its her prerogative
after all!

I'm sure that with the routine kicking in & no one paying her grouch
any mind, she will put her bottom lip away & choose to sit all over
you again, just so that it gives you the pleasure of un-furring your
sweater all over again. Best of luck with her Jay,

Sheelagh >"o"<

Jay Rimmer[_3_]
August 14th 07, 06:11 PM
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:44:59 -0700, "Sheelagh >o<"
> wrote:
>
>No, seriously, Cats just do this sort of thing @ times. As humans, we
>do the same thing too. I don't know anyone who doesn't go through a
>grouchy patch now & again, so why do we think it is different for
>cats? I say let her pout for a little longer; its her prerogative
>after all!

I guess considering what she's gone through the past month and a half,
she has a right to pout. If I had my tummy shaved, various internal
organ removed, itchy dermatitis, numerous shots, and had medicine
squirted down my throat twice a day, I'd be kinda grumpy too.

>I'm sure that with the routine kicking in & no one paying her grouch
>any mind, she will put her bottom lip away & choose to sit all over
>you again, just so that it gives you the pleasure of un-furring your
>sweater all over again. Best of luck with her Jay,

Thanks, that's one thing about a black and white cat. They have hair
that shows up no matter what you wear.