PDA

View Full Version : Feline Pine Scoop Litter - Does not Scoop!

sfmary
August 15th 07, 08:43 PM
My cat has developed a cough and the vet and thought it may be the
silica dust from the litter. The x-ray did not show anything serious.
He was given Prednisolone which helped for a while then the cough and
wheeze started up again.
I tried the wheat litter Swheat only they licked the dust off of their
feet and got loose & smelly stools.
I tried the corn litter - World's Best. Once again they licked the
dust off of their feet and got loose & smelly stools.
I tried Feline Pine pellets - not a big hit. I added it gradually as
suggested and they finally started to use it but the scooping was a
hideous chore. And they didn't like it.
Now we are on Feline Pine Scoop and the clumping is lousy. They track
it all over because it is soooo fine. I have to vacuum at least twice
a day. I have seen recommendations from users on how well it clumps. I
just don't get it.
And the cough has returned.
Both of my cats eat raw diet (Feline Instincts) with Turkey and
Wellness Super5 Mix Low Calorie. The diet solved their bowel/digestive
problems completely.
Is there a clumping cat litter without silica and no pellets?
Any ideas?
Thank you!

cybercat
August 15th 07, 10:33 PM
"sfmary" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My cat has developed a cough and the vet and thought it may be the
> silica dust from the litter.

My cat has asthma and allergies and the best litter I have found is Target
brand scented
litter. It has very little scent and veryyyyy little dust.

sheelagh via CatKB.com
August 16th 07, 02:34 AM
cybercat wrote:
>> My cat has developed a cough and the vet and thought it may be the
>> silica dust from the litter.
>
>My cat has asthma and allergies and the best litter I have found is Target
>brand scented
>litter. It has very little scent and veryyyyy little dust.

Sounds good.
I wonder if we can get that over here. It's worth asking I guess.
I am looking for a new brand because the one that I am, using is so dusty &
clumpy that I find my own asthma starts, never mind the poor cats!!
Anymore idea's/ recommendations welcomed too please?
Sheelagh

--
Sheelagh >"o"<

August 16th 07, 02:49 AM
"sheelagh via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote
> Sounds good.
> I wonder if we can get that over here. It's worth asking I guess.
> I am looking for a new brand because the one that I am, using is so dusty
> &
> clumpy that I find my own asthma starts, never mind the poor cats!!
> Anymore idea's/ recommendations welcomed too please?

I was so surprised that this Target store brand litter has so little dust
and
fragrance. It costs about $3.60 for 14 lbs, too.

What brands do you get over there? Wonder if you could do some online
research?

mariib via CatKB.com
August 16th 07, 06:45 AM
sfmary wrote:
>My cat has developed a cough and the vet and thought it may be the
>silica dust from the litter. The x-ray did not show anything serious.
>He was given Prednisolone which helped for a while then the cough and
>wheeze started up again.
>I tried the wheat litter Swheat only they licked the dust off of their
>feet and got loose & smelly stools.
>I tried the corn litter - World's Best. Once again they licked the
>dust off of their feet and got loose & smelly stools.
>I tried Feline Pine pellets - not a big hit. I added it gradually as
>suggested and they finally started to use it but the scooping was a
>hideous chore. And they didn't like it.
>Now we are on Feline Pine Scoop and the clumping is lousy. They track
>it all over because it is soooo fine. I have to vacuum at least twice
>a day. I have seen recommendations from users on how well it clumps. I
>just don't get it.
>And the cough has returned.
>Both of my cats eat raw diet (Feline Instincts) with Turkey and
>Wellness Super5 Mix Low Calorie. The diet solved their bowel/digestive
>problems completely.
>Is there a clumping cat litter without silica and no pellets?
>Any ideas?
>Thank you!

I'm in Canada & have 2 cats & gave up on the dusty stuff which was
aggravating my asthma. For a couple years I've been using mainly Costco's -
Simplicity Plus - very lightly scented clumping dust-free & about $8.35 US
for a 50 lb box, or right now from Sam's Club - Litter Clean - which is
lightly citrus-scented dust-free & very hard clumping, also the same price
for the large (lime green) box. Both brands are almost completely non-
tracking. My cats show no preference & always use their litter boxes (I use
covered). I like having the litter in large boxes as opposed to the bags I
used to get & don't mind lugging & storing them in the garage.
M.

sfmary
August 16th 07, 11:28 PM
On Aug 15, 2:33 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "sfmary" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > My cat has developed a cough and the vet and thought it may be the
> > silica dust from the litter.
>
> My cat has asthma and allergies and the best litter I have found is Target
> brand scented
> litter. It has very little scent and veryyyyy little dust.

Sounds great only I don't have a Target near me. If I had a car it
would be OK. But I don't and I don't have access to one. The shipping
is too expensive. I wish I knew the supplier for the Target Litter
because it is probably available at Safeway or PetCo under a different
brand name.

oldhickory
August 17th 07, 03:11 AM
We used to use clay litter but switched to Feline Pine (regular) a couple of
years ago. I was given some clumping litter last month by a friend who's
little Gypsy went to the bridge, and it lasted a day and a half. Stinky,
dusty, tracked everywhere...eww....We went back to the Feline Pine regular
(non clumping). I found out about it from a friend who does rescues and
often has more than 20 cats around the house at a time. He had figured out
a combination of various kinds of litter that he'd put in various
configurations in the litter box (one kind around the sides for where they
tend to urinate more, another kind for the bottom and other in the middle,
etc.) but when he switched to FP he said he had less odor trouble, tracking
trouble, respiratory trouble and his litter bill is less than half of what
it was before. He's a scientist, and a completely devoted slave--I trusted
him.

You need the box that is made specially for it (link from their website to
it) and it's not cheap but overall we use WAY less FP than we used of any
other kind so it more than pays for itself. It's very little dust (I have
allergies and asthma--why do I have 3 cats??) and I have no problems with it
and neither do they. I did have to look a bit to find just the right scoop
with the right sized holes. You can probably snip or dremel a standard scoop
if you have to.

Using the special box and following the instructions but it's SO worth it. I
no longer choke in the kitty-loo room (unless one of them lays down a real
stinker). I do know a couple of slaves who's kitties did not like it and
would not switch, but ours had no qualms. We have only 2 boxes for three
girls (we scoop through the day since I home office) and we have no issues
with them not using the boxes. Well, except when we let them outside in the
garden which is why we had to build the "cat containment" to keep the herb
garden clean....
http://www.davidandmollie.com/kitties/badkitties/guarden.jpg

You can find more on their website...can't remember it but google can find
it...

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"sfmary" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My cat has developed a cough and the vet and thought it may be the
> silica dust from the litter. The x-ray did not show anything serious.
> He was given Prednisolone which helped for a while then the cough and
> wheeze started up again.
> I tried the wheat litter Swheat only they licked the dust off of their
> feet and got loose & smelly stools.
> I tried the corn litter - World's Best. Once again they licked the
> dust off of their feet and got loose & smelly stools.
> I tried Feline Pine pellets - not a big hit. I added it gradually as
> suggested and they finally started to use it but the scooping was a
> hideous chore. And they didn't like it.
> Now we are on Feline Pine Scoop and the clumping is lousy. They track
> it all over because it is soooo fine. I have to vacuum at least twice
> a day. I have seen recommendations from users on how well it clumps. I
> just don't get it.
> And the cough has returned.
> Both of my cats eat raw diet (Feline Instincts) with Turkey and
> Wellness Super5 Mix Low Calorie. The diet solved their bowel/digestive
> problems completely.
> Is there a clumping cat litter without silica and no pellets?
> Any ideas?
> Thank you!

sheelagh via CatKB.com
August 17th 07, 12:59 PM
cybercat wrote:
>> Sounds good.
>> I wonder if we can get that over here. It's worth asking I guess.
>> I am looking for a new brand because the one that I am, using is so dusty
>> &
>> clumpy that I find my own asthma starts, never mind the poor cats!!
>> Anymore idea's/ recommendations welcomed too please?
>
>I was so surprised that this Target store brand litter has so little dust
>and
>fragrance. It costs about $3.60 for 14 lbs, too.
>
>What brands do you get over there? Wonder if you could do some online
>research?

Obvious, yet brilliant Idea, Lol :o)

Thanx for that one. doing that right now & will let you know the results. I
have looked for the one that you mention (Target), but it is not on the site
that I found, & they only ship within the USA . Having said that, there are
thousands to try out, out there to choose from, & I don't know half of the
brands.

Has anyone ever tried those silicon based granules @ all? I just wondered how
they work ( for how long for too), & if they are any good? The other question
that springs to mind, is what are the wood based ones like? And, is it hard
to get your cat to convert to a new type of product?
Sorry for so many questions, but I really do want to do a complete change,
then stick with it

Sheelagh >"o"<

--
Sheelagh >"o"<

Lesley via CatKB.com
August 17th 07, 02:43 PM
sheelagh wrote:

>Has anyone ever tried those silicon based granules @ all? I just wondered how
>they work ( for how long for too), & if they are any good?

I used them once when I had such a bad dose of flu that I couldn't even face
walking the 5 minutes to my local shop and that was all they had in the
garage over the road.

They seemed to last slightly longer than the usual brand (but not long enough
to justify the fact they were 3 times dearer than the usual brand) and were
good at stopping odours and relatively dust free and we had minimal tracking
with them

But I didn't think it justified the expense also one of our cats didn't seem
keen on standing on the stuff

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Rene S.
August 21st 07, 03:50 PM
I've been thinking of your post but didn't have any other litter to
add that didn't have silica or pellets, BUT I saw a tv commercial last
night for Feline Pine scoopable. It's not pellets and clumps:
http://www.naturesearth.com/scoop.html

There's a store locator on the right side of the page.

I hope this helps you.

Rhonda[_3_]
August 21st 07, 05:32 PM
I think that's the one they are trying now and not happy about the clumping.

I didn't have another one to offer -- we use Feline Pine non-clumping
(she also tried that.) I don't think there's a completely perfect litter
out there.

Rhonda

Rene S. wrote:
> I've been thinking of your post but didn't have any other litter to
> add that didn't have silica or pellets, BUT I saw a tv commercial last
> night for Feline Pine scoopable. It's not pellets and clumps:
> http://www.naturesearth.com/scoop.html
>
> There's a store locator on the right side of the page.
>
> I hope this helps you.

Rene S.
August 21st 07, 09:55 PM
On Aug 21, 11:32 am, Rhonda > wrote:
> I think that's the one they are trying now and not happy about the clumping.
>
> I didn't have another one to offer -- we use Feline Pine non-clumping
> (she also tried that.) I don't think there's a completely perfect litter
> out there.
>
> Rhonda
>
> Rene S. wrote:
> > I've been thinking of your post but didn't have any other litter to
> > add that didn't have silica or pellets, BUT I saw a tv commercial last
> > night for Feline Pine scoopable. It's not pellets and clumps:
> >http://www.naturesearth.com/scoop.html
>
> > There's a store locator on the right side of the page.
>
> > I hope this helps you.

Oh, really? Sorry. I thought he was using the regular pine pellets.