PDA

View Full Version : aspirin for cat?


Zippy
August 16th 07, 03:15 PM
Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
cats. Is it or not?

Magic Mood Jeep
August 16th 07, 03:24 PM
"Zippy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
> eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
> Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
> cats. Is it or not?
>

AFAIK, true Aspirin (think Bayer) in *tiny* doses is not bad for cats.
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and Ibuprofen (Advil) can be DEADLY to cats and dogs
in any amount.

Lots of cats have "reactions" to their yearly shots - they feel "bad" for a
day or so (mine usually sulk over their treatment). If it were MY cats, I
would hold of on the aspirin for another day before I medicated them (they
would sulk even longer after having been medicated, therefore how would I
know if the treatment were working or if they were just sulking?).

--
http://www.firstgiving.com/nalee1131964
About my charity:
Monroe County Humane Association
Established in 1956, the MCHA is the longest standing animal welfare
organization in Monroe County. The MCHA is dedicated to "Leading, Advocating
and Educating for Animal Welfare."
Find out more at www.monroehumane.org.

Magic Mood Jeep
August 16th 07, 03:32 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Zippy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
>> eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
>> Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
>> cats. Is it or not?
> --------
> Cats metabolize aspirin very slowly. It's okay in small doses such as the
> dose your vet recommended. For my cat's arthritis, my vet has recommended
> one whole baby aspirin (81 mg) not more than twice a week. Just please be
> sure that the product you are giving your cat is really aspirin and NOT
> Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Advil (ibuprofen) or Aleve (naproxen). Any of
> these can be deadly for a cat.

I forgot about Aleve! Thank you for mentioning that!
>
> Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) comes in 325 mg and 81 mg. The 81 mg pills
> are the ones you want to buy (and then cut in half). These are also known
> as "baby aspirin" or more commonly "low-dose aspirin." They can be
> purchased "enteric coated" which is easier on the stomach.
> Good luck.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
>



--
http://www.firstgiving.com/nalee1131964
About my charity:
Monroe County Humane Association
Established in 1956, the MCHA is the longest standing animal welfare
organization in Monroe County. The MCHA is dedicated to "Leading, Advocating
and Educating for Animal Welfare."
Find out more at www.monroehumane.org.

cindys
August 16th 07, 03:34 PM
"Zippy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
> eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
> Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
> cats. Is it or not?
--------
Cats metabolize aspirin very slowly. It's okay in small doses such as the
dose your vet recommended. For my cat's arthritis, my vet has recommended
one whole baby aspirin (81 mg) not more than twice a week. Just please be
sure that the product you are giving your cat is really aspirin and NOT
Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Advil (ibuprofen) or Aleve (naproxen). Any of
these can be deadly for a cat.

Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) comes in 325 mg and 81 mg. The 81 mg pills
are the ones you want to buy (and then cut in half). These are also known as
"baby aspirin" or more commonly "low-dose aspirin." They can be purchased
"enteric coated" which is easier on the stomach.
Good luck.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

bonbon
August 16th 07, 03:51 PM
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:15:56 -0700, Zippy >
wrote:

>Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
>eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
>Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
>cats. Is it or not?

I had always heard aspirin was bad for kitties too. If you're having
any doubts, definitely call a couple of other local vets for a
second/third opinion. Also, I would go and ask Phil.
www.max'shouse.com. I hope I got that link right.

-bonbon

cindys
August 16th 07, 06:57 PM
"bonbon" > wrote in message
...
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:15:56 -0700, Zippy >
> wrote:
>
>>Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
>>eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
>>Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
>>cats. Is it or not?
>
> I had always heard aspirin was bad for kitties too. If you're having
> any doubts, definitely call a couple of other local vets for a
> second/third opinion. Also, I would go and ask Phil.
> www.max'shouse.com. I hope I got that link right.
>
--------
There's nothing wrong with aspirin for a cat. I have had several different
vets recommend it for my kitties for various ailments over the years. We
also had a thread on this topic very recently on this forum. The reason
aspirin is not recommended for cats is because of the concern that the
person may give the cat too big a dose or may give the cat one of the other
medications I mentioned, incorrectly thinking it is aspirin, either of which
could be a deadly mistake.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Sherry
August 17th 07, 05:47 AM
On Aug 16, 9:51 am, bonbon > wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:15:56 -0700, Zippy >
> wrote:
>
> >Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
> >eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
> >Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
> >cats. Is it or not?
>
> I had always heard aspirin was bad for kitties too. If you're having
> any doubts, definitely call a couple of other local vets for a
> second/third opinion. Also, I would go and ask Phil.www.max'shouse.com. I hope I got that link right.
>
> -bonbon

I always thought it was bad, too. I think the general aspiring-for-
cats rule is, "Never unless the vet says so." Cherokee had a
stroke when he was 13, and the vet recommended 1/4 of a baby aspirin
every other day. That's hardly crumbs, once you quarter
that tiny tablet, but it could very well be the reason why he lived on
to age 17 without having another stroke.

Sherry

Meghan Noecker
August 17th 07, 06:06 AM
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:47:58 -0700, Sherry > wrote:

>On Aug 16, 9:51 am, bonbon > wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:15:56 -0700, Zippy >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
>> >eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
>> >Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
>> >cats. Is it or not?
>>
>> I had always heard aspirin was bad for kitties too. If you're having
>> any doubts, definitely call a couple of other local vets for a
>> second/third opinion. Also, I would go and ask Phil.www.max'shouse.com. I hope I got that link right.
>>
>> -bonbon
>
>I always thought it was bad, too. I think the general aspiring-for-
>cats rule is, "Never unless the vet says so." Cherokee had a
>stroke when he was 13, and the vet recommended 1/4 of a baby aspirin
>every other day. That's hardly crumbs, once you quarter
>that tiny tablet, but it could very well be the reason why he lived on
>to age 17 without having another stroke.
>


The problem with aspiren is that it takes a long time to clear their
system. So, while a little bit can do some good, it is very easy to
overdose them. So, the amount given is very small and can't be
repeated as often.

I would use it if a vet prescribed, but I would follow the directions
carefully, and I would never recommend it or use it without a vet
prescribing it.

Peg Caldwell-Ott
August 18th 07, 08:11 PM
Our Alino is also on one St. Joseph's "Baby" Aspirin (81 mg) once
every three days on the advise of our vet. It REALLY helps with his
arthritis, along with the Cosequin Powder that we sprinkle (from one
capsule) on each meal. He just turned 16 in late June.

Bestest,

PegNDerek



On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:15:56 -0700, Zippy >
wrote:

>Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
>eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
>Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
>cats. Is it or not?

mariib via CatKB.com
August 18th 07, 11:07 PM
Zippy wrote:
>Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
>eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
>Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
>cats. Is it or not?

My cat Tigra who was finally PTS in Sept 2005 at 19-1/2 years was on the same
treatment as PegNDerek's cat Alino on our vet's advice for severe arthritis
in her rear legs for probably 3-4 years - UNFLAVORED chewable 81 mg baby
aspirin every 3 days plus Cosequin powder from a capsule sprinkled on her
food at each meal (twice a day for Tigra), plus she was on Tapezole the last
2 years. The baby aspiring & glucosamine helped her a lot but during her last
year, other things went wrong.
M.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200708/1

Wendy
August 20th 07, 12:11 PM
IIRC my vet said not to give 1/2 baby aspirin any more frequently than every
three days because of how slowly cats metabolize it.


Wendy

"cindys" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Zippy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
>> eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
>> Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
>> cats. Is it or not?
> --------
> Cats metabolize aspirin very slowly. It's okay in small doses such as the
> dose your vet recommended. For my cat's arthritis, my vet has recommended
> one whole baby aspirin (81 mg) not more than twice a week. Just please be
> sure that the product you are giving your cat is really aspirin and NOT
> Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Advil (ibuprofen) or Aleve (naproxen). Any of
> these can be deadly for a cat.
>
> Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) comes in 325 mg and 81 mg. The 81 mg pills
> are the ones you want to buy (and then cut in half). These are also known
> as "baby aspirin" or more commonly "low-dose aspirin." They can be
> purchased "enteric coated" which is easier on the stomach.
> Good luck.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
>