PDA

View Full Version : No response to fresh catnip?

aryder
August 17th 07, 06:21 PM
I'm growing some catnip for our cat. He's about 7-8 years old. I had a
catnip filled toy before for him that he seemed to respond to. There
was no response though to a fresh catnip leaf I crushed and placed in
front of him. He just walked away. The plant is about 5 weeks old.

I've read some cats don't respond to catnip, but he seemed to respond
before. Is the plant too young? Do just the buds work? Any advice
would be much appreciated ;-).

Matthew
August 17th 07, 07:25 PM
"aryder" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm growing some catnip for our cat. He's about 7-8 years old. I had a
> catnip filled toy before for him that he seemed to respond to. There
> was no response though to a fresh catnip leaf I crushed and placed in
> front of him. He just walked away. The plant is about 5 weeks old.
>
> I've read some cats don't respond to catnip, but he seemed to respond
> before. Is the plant too young? Do just the buds work? Any advice
> would be much appreciated ;-).

It might be the variety of the catnip My furballs go nuts over the
valerian version but all of them not so interested in the fresh plant
unless it is valerian

Rene S.
August 17th 07, 08:06 PM
On Aug 17, 12:21 pm, aryder > wrote:
> I'm growing some catnip for our cat. He's about 7-8 years old. I had a
> catnip filled toy before for him that he seemed to respond to. There
> was no response though to a fresh catnip leaf I crushed and placed in
> front of him. He just walked away. The plant is about 5 weeks old.
>
> I've read some cats don't respond to catnip, but he seemed to respond
> before. Is the plant too young? Do just the buds work? Any advice
> would be much appreciated ;-).

Are you sure it's catnip versus cat mint? My cats didn't respond to
the catmint at all. The leaves of any sized plant will work.

Sheelagh >o
August 17th 07, 08:36 PM
On 17 Aug, 19:25, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "aryder" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > I'm growing some catnip for our cat. He's about 7-8 years old. I had a
> > catnip filled toy before for him that he seemed to respond to. There
> > was no response though to a fresh catnip leaf I crushed and placed in
> > front of him. He just walked away. The plant is about 5 weeks old.
>
> > I've read some cats don't respond to catnip, but he seemed to respond
> > before. Is the plant too young? Do just the buds work? Any advice
> > would be much appreciated ;-).
>
> It might be the variety of the catnip My furballs go nuts over the
> valerian version but all of them not so interested in the fresh plant
> unless it is valerian

Is Valerian a speacial type of cat nip? And, how does it differ to
other forms please? Thanks....
Sheelagh>"o"<

Matthew
August 17th 07, 09:42 PM
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 17 Aug, 19:25, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> "aryder" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>
>> > I'm growing some catnip for our cat. He's about 7-8 years old. I had a
>> > catnip filled toy before for him that he seemed to respond to. There
>> > was no response though to a fresh catnip leaf I crushed and placed in
>> > front of him. He just walked away. The plant is about 5 weeks old.
>>
>> > I've read some cats don't respond to catnip, but he seemed to respond
>> > before. Is the plant too young? Do just the buds work? Any advice
>> > would be much appreciated ;-).
>>
>> It might be the variety of the catnip My furballs go nuts over the
>> valerian version but all of them not so interested in the fresh plant
>> unless it is valerian
>
> Is Valerian a speacial type of cat nip? And, how does it differ to
> other forms please? Thanks....
> Sheelagh>"o"<

Normal stuff makes them do their thing Valerian makes you call your
insurance agent

bookie
August 17th 07, 11:36 PM
On 17 Aug, 18:21, aryder > wrote:
> I'm growing some catnip for our cat. He's about 7-8 years old. I had a
> catnip filled toy before for him that he seemed to respond to. There
> was no response though to a fresh catnip leaf I crushed and placed in
> front of him. He just walked away. The plant is about 5 weeks old.
>
> I've read some cats don't respond to catnip, but he seemed to respond
> before. Is the plant too young? Do just the buds work? Any advice
> would be much appreciated ;-).

also, may be because it's fresh? maybe the dried stuff is more potent?
i have never tried the fresh stuff, just the dried and it sends jessie
up the wall, she has various toy cigars, carrots and bananas stuffed
with it and it is wonderful to see her hold them in her front paws and
rub her face against them, a true junkie

Sheelagh >o
August 18th 07, 04:21 AM
On 17 Aug, 21:42, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On 17 Aug, 19:25, "Matthew" > wrote:
> >> "aryder" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> >> It might be the variety of the catnip My furballs go nuts over the
> >> valerian version but all of them not so interested in the fresh plant
> >> unless it is valerian
>
> > Is Valerian a speacial type of cat nip? And, how does it differ to
> > other forms please? Thanks....
> > Sheelagh>"o"<
>
> Normal stuff makes them do their thing Valerian makes you call your
> insurance agent- Hide quoted text -

Aaahhh. I see!!
I live very close to a seed packaging firm called Unwins, & directly
behind this firm is a plant (horticultural station), I think I might
mosey on down there over the weekend, to see what they have to offer
me. I will write that name down to see if they have any. I would love
to see the effect that it has on them.
I don't know whether fresh or dried is better, but it will be
interesting to find out, won't it, Lol?
Thank you Matthew...
I'll let you know how it goes :o)
Sheelagh>"o"<

Matthew
August 18th 07, 04:33 AM
"Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 17 Aug, 21:42, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...

>> oups.com...

>> > Is Valerian a speacial type of cat nip? And, how does it differ to
>> > other forms please? Thanks....
>> > Sheelagh>"o"<
>>
>> Normal stuff makes them do their thing Valerian makes you call your
>> insurance agent- Hide quoted text -

> Aaahhh. I see!!
> I live very close to a seed packaging firm called Unwins, & directly
> behind this firm is a plant (horticultural station), I think I might
> mosey on down there over the weekend, to see what they have to offer
> me. I will write that name down to see if they have any. I would love
> to see the effect that it has on them.
> I don't know whether fresh or dried is better, but it will be
> interesting to find out, won't it, Lol?
> Thank you Matthew...
> I'll let you know how it goes :o)
> Sheelagh>"o"<

I take no responsibility in what your cats will do

Sheelagh >o
August 18th 07, 03:32 PM
On 18 Aug, 04:33, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On 17 Aug, 21:42, "Matthew" > wrote:
> >> "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> >> oups.com...

> >> Normal stuff makes them do their thing Valerian makes you call your
> >> insurance agent- Hide quoted text -

> > Aaahhh. I see!!
> > I live very close to a seed packaging firm called Unwins, & directly
> > behind this firm is a plant (horticultural station), I think I might
> > mosey on down there over the weekend, to see what they have to offer
> > me. I will write that name down to see if they have any. I would love
> > to see the effect that it has on them.
> > I don't know whether fresh or dried is better, but it will be
> > interesting to find out, won't it, Lol?
> > Thank you Matthew...
> > I'll let you know how it goes :o)
> > Sheelagh>"o"<
>
> I take no responsibility in what your cats will do- Hide quoted text -

Lol,
This is noted, & your advice is heeded.
I think I might take the precaution of putting them out in the multi
pen before conducting this experiment actually....

We have a couple of climbers here. Both Biffy & Lilly feel it is
necessary to climb the side of the pen now and again, just to see if
there is still no way out of the roof of the pen. Just out of
interest, have you ever seen a cat doing a bat-fing?
Both of ours do it. I had to reinforce the roof because of this.
Sometimes they climb all the way up there & just hang out
(literally!!), for a few moments, before letting go & "always" landing
on their paws..It amazes me. I wonder what will happen to the dynamics
if Valerian is involved?

Yes, I do have the insurance companies number to hand....
Sheelagh >"o"<

bookie
August 19th 07, 12:15 AM
On 18 Aug, 15:32, "Sheelagh >o<" >
wrote:
> On 18 Aug, 04:33, "Matthew" > wrote:
>

> > "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> > ups.com...

> > > Aaahhh. I see!!
> > > I live very close to a seed packaging firm called Unwins, & directly
> > > behind this firm is a plant (horticultural station), I think I might
> > > mosey on down there over the weekend, to see what they have to offer
> > > me. I will write that name down to see if they have any. I would love
> > > to see the effect that it has on them.
> > > I don't know whether fresh or dried is better, but it will be
> > > interesting to find out, won't it, Lol?
> > > Thank you Matthew...
> > > I'll let you know how it goes :o)
> > > Sheelagh>"o"<
>
> > I take no responsibility in what your cats will do- Hide quoted text -

> Lol,
> This is noted, & your advice is heeded.
> I think I might take the precaution of putting them out in the multi
> pen before conducting this experiment actually....
>
> We have a couple of climbers here. Both Biffy & Lilly feel it is
> necessary to climb the side of the pen now and again, just to see if
> there is still no way out of the roof of the pen. Just out of
> interest, have you ever seen a cat doing a bat-fing?
> Both of ours do it. I had to reinforce the roof because of this.
> Sometimes they climb all the way up there & just hang out
> (literally!!), for a few moments, before letting go & "always" landing
> on their paws..It amazes me. I wonder what will happen to the dynamics
> if Valerian is involved?
>
> Yes, I do have the insurance companies number to hand....
> Sheelagh >"o"<- Hide quoted text -

seems like you have adrenaline junkie cats there, if they start tying
lengths of strong elastic between their back legs and to cage roof you
might need to start to worry, or just get them mini crash helmets

Sheelagh >o
August 19th 07, 03:05 AM
On 19 Aug, 00:15, bookie > wrote:
> On 18 Aug, 15:32, "Sheelagh >o<" >
> wrote:
>

> > On 18 Aug, 04:33, "Matthew" > wrote:
>
> > > "Sheelagh >o<" > wrote in message
>
> > ups.com...

> > > ups.com...

> > > I take no responsibility in what your cats will do- Hide quoted text -

> > Lol,
> > This is noted, & your advice is heeded.
> > I think I might take the precaution of putting them out in the multi
> > pen before conducting this experiment actually....
>
> > We have a couple of climbers here. Both Biffy & Lilly feel it is
> > necessary to climb the side of the pen now and again, just to see if
> > there is still no way out of the roof of the pen. Just out of
> > interest, have you ever seen a cat doing a bat-fing?
> > Both of ours do it. I had to reinforce the roof because of this.
> > Sometimes they climb all the way up there & just hang out
> > (literally!!), for a few moments, before letting go & "always" landing
> > on their paws..It amazes me. I wonder what will happen to the dynamics
> > if Valerian is involved?
>
> > Yes, I do have the insurance companies number to hand....
> > Sheelagh >"o"<- Hide quoted text -

> seems like you have adrenaline junkie cats there, if they start tying
> lengths of strong elastic between their back legs and to cage roof you
> might need to start to worry, or just get them mini crash helmets- Hide quoted text -

> seems like you have adrenaline junkie cats there...

We do, especially Biffy & Lilly. If there is any way that they can
climb it, scuttle under it, along it or plain throw themselves @ it,
that pair are willing to have a go @ it..All the rest show signs of
caution and sensibility. Perhaps it is just a Birman thing?

>if they start tying
> lengths of strong elastic between their back legs and to cage roof you
> might need to start to worry, or just get them mini crash helmets..

This is true, Lol!!

In fact, I sometimes wonder where we can purchase helmets their size,
& whether we need those helmets too?
Oh, good lord...I had never considered Bungee jumping!

I better not tell them about this post, & turn the screen away from
Lilly. I'm *almost convinced* that she can read, because every time I
seem to discuss something like this, she tries it out the following
day, with a smirk all over those pretty furry little chops

They don't seem to understand the *concept of fear @ all*. Caution
doesn't seem to exist in the world of Birman. I have caught them
climbing, digging, which would indicate that pot- holing is also on
their agenda- hang gliding, & even Biffy tries a spot of tight rope
walking from time to time( Normally, it used to be along next doors
fence, & he is no petite cat either I might add)...ever so funny to
watch him trying to balance like a ballerina doing pirouettes along
it, then trying to jump down without landing in a heap. I have also
found the best method of convincing him that it might be better not to
show off, is to waft a slice of chicken breast, slightly warmed in
front of him- that usually works, as long as you heat it up for a few
moments in he micro of course!
Who likes cold chicken, he asks me?

It will be interesting to see whether Valerian has the same effect on
him, or better with any luck?!!! I have never fancied pot holing
myself, but the way he is going, it looks like I might have to get
used to it. I am utterly convinced that he is trying to tunnel his way
to China, just for the pure pleasure of watching me follow him....
Such a naughty pair of puss cats, really!!!

Sheelagh>"o"<