PDA

View Full Version : My cat has pased away

Trinity
August 22nd 07, 06:32 PM
My cat was 9.

She was taking prednisone for 6 months. Low dose, 1./2 pill every
other day. Without the pred., diahhera and vomiting. Dr. said she
had irritable bowel disease.

Last week, she stopped eating and drinking completely and was losign
serious weight.

We had to have her pumped with fluids for two days. She looked ok
after that, but within 12 hours, she lost everything! She was put to
sleep.

Does anyone know what was wrong? There is no solid diagnosis without
an autopsy (will not do). Could this be cancer?

Please help

Tr

JP
August 22nd 07, 06:44 PM
> My cat was 9.
>
> She was taking prednisone for 6 months. Low dose, 1./2 pill every
> other day. Without the pred., diahhera and vomiting. Dr. said she
> had irritable bowel disease.
>
> Last week, she stopped eating and drinking completely and was losign
> serious weight.
>
> We had to have her pumped with fluids for two days. She looked ok
> after that, but within 12 hours, she lost everything! She was put to
> sleep.
>
> Does anyone know what was wrong? There is no solid diagnosis without
> an autopsy (will not do). Could this be cancer?
>
> Please help
>
> Tr

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat.

With the weight loss, stopping eating and drinking and the fluid build up
could it be FIP (wet)?

Bianx
August 22nd 07, 06:55 PM
On Aug 22, 1:32 pm, Trinity > wrote:
> My cat was 9.
>
> She was taking prednisone for 6 months. Low dose, 1./2 pill every
> other day. Without the pred., diahhera and vomiting. Dr. said she
> had irritable bowel disease.
>
> Last week, she stopped eating and drinking completely and was losign
> serious weight.
>
> We had to have her pumped with fluids for two days. She looked ok
> after that, but within 12 hours, she lost everything! She was put to
> sleep.
>
> Does anyone know what was wrong? There is no solid diagnosis without
> an (will not do). Could this be cancer?
>
> Please help
>
> Tr

sorry for your loss

Richard Evans
August 22nd 07, 07:27 PM
Trinity > wrote:

>There is no solid diagnosis without an autopsy

I'm afraid you've answered your own question.

Condolences on your loss.

Sheelagh >o
August 22nd 07, 08:22 PM
On 22 Aug, 18:32, Trinity > wrote:
> My cat was 9.
>
> She was taking prednisone for 6 months. Low dose, 1./2 pill every
> other day. Without the pred., diahhera and vomiting. Dr. said she
> had irritable bowel disease.
>
> Last week, she stopped eating and drinking completely and was losign
> serious weight.
>
> We had to have her pumped with fluids for two days. She looked ok
> after that, but within 12 hours, she lost everything! She was put to
> sleep.
>
> Does anyone know what was wrong? There is no solid diagnosis without
> an autopsy (will not do). Could this be cancer?
>
> Please help
>
> Tr

We are so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend.
I wish I could help you with the answer that you seek, but I am not
qualified to answer that question, & feel that speculating might
confuse you even more. You have enough to worry about right now.
Perhaps with time, the answer will become clearer. I hope so!
Condolences,
sheelagh>"o"<

Dom
August 22nd 07, 09:13 PM
On Aug 22, 1:32 pm, Trinity > wrote:
> My cat was 9.
>
> She was taking prednisone for 6 months. Low dose, 1./2 pill every
> other day. Without the pred., diahhera and vomiting. Dr. said she
> had irritable bowel disease.
>
> Last week, she stopped eating and drinking completely and was losign
> serious weight.
>
> We had to have her pumped with fluids for two days. She looked ok
> after that, but within 12 hours, she lost everything! She was put to
> sleep.
>
> Does anyone know what was wrong? There is no solid diagnosis without
> an autopsy (will not do). Could this be cancer?
>
> Please help
>
> Tr

My friend's cat had the same symptoms. It was a hyperthyroid, but the
vet was able to spot it with a quick examination. If your vet didn't
mention it, it probably wasn't the case. Was it cancer? My
understanding is that there is a huge array of symptoms caused by
cancer, and there are many different types.

Sorry for your loss.

bookie
August 23rd 07, 12:02 AM
On 22 Aug, 18:32, Trinity > wrote:
> My cat was 9.
>
> She was taking prednisone for 6 months. Low dose, 1./2 pill every
> other day. Without the pred., diahhera and vomiting. Dr. said she
> had irritable bowel disease.
>
> Last week, she stopped eating and drinking completely and was losign
> serious weight.
>
> We had to have her pumped with fluids for two days. She looked ok
> after that, but within 12 hours, she lost everything! She was put to
> sleep.
>
> Does anyone know what was wrong? There is no solid diagnosis without
> an autopsy (will not do). Could this be cancer?
>
> Please help
>
> Tr

no idea, sorry, but lots of purrs and hugs all the same for your loss,
you little pusscat is free from pain now and in a better place, bless
her little heart

bookie

Cheryl
August 23rd 07, 12:43 AM
On Wed 22 Aug 2007 01:32:14p, Trinity wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> My cat was 9.
>
> She was taking prednisone for 6 months. Low dose, 1./2 pill
> every other day. Without the pred., diahhera and vomiting. Dr.
> said she had irritable bowel disease.
>
> Last week, she stopped eating and drinking completely and was
> losign serious weight.
>
> We had to have her pumped with fluids for two days. She looked
> ok after that, but within 12 hours, she lost everything! She
> was put to sleep.
>
> Does anyone know what was wrong? There is no solid diagnosis
> without an autopsy (will not do). Could this be cancer?
>
> Please help

So sorry for your loss. Rather than "irritable bowel disease" you
might mean inflammatory bowel disease, or IBD. I had a cat with
this, also was on prednisone, but it didn't seem help him very
much. He also had stopped eating, and had a feeding tube for 2
months. He was put to sleep 2 years after the feeding tube because
he kept going downhill, though for a long time his appetite was
good, and despite chronic diarrhea, he really seemed happy. He even
gained back most of the weight he lost when he was initially ill.
I remember the vet techs often referring to his ailment as cancer
or lymphoma, but the official diagnosis was IBD. I think people
either confuse the terms, or the symptoms are so similar that it
might as well be cancer. IBD is linked to hypersensitivity to food,
but it can also be idiopathic.

--
Cheryl

cindys
August 23rd 07, 02:16 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Wed 22 Aug 2007 01:32:14p, Trinity wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
>> My cat was 9.
>>
>> She was taking prednisone for 6 months. Low dose, 1./2 pill
>> every other day. Without the pred., diahhera and vomiting. Dr.
>> said she had irritable bowel disease.
>>
>> Last week, she stopped eating and drinking completely and was
>> losign serious weight.
>>
>> We had to have her pumped with fluids for two days. She looked
>> ok after that, but within 12 hours, she lost everything! She
>> was put to sleep.
>>
>> Does anyone know what was wrong? There is no solid diagnosis
>> without an autopsy (will not do). Could this be cancer?
>>
>> Please help
>>
> So sorry for your loss. Rather than "irritable bowel disease" you
> might mean inflammatory bowel disease, or IBD.

There is such as IBS "irritable bowel syndrome." It is much less serious
than IBD. Here is a website which explains the difference:

http://www.ccfa.org/about/news/ibsoribd

>I had a cat with
> this, also was on prednisone, but it didn't seem help him very
> much. He also had stopped eating, and had a feeding tube for 2
> months. He was put to sleep 2 years after the feeding tube because
> he kept going downhill, though for a long time his appetite was
> good, and despite chronic diarrhea, he really seemed happy. He even
> gained back most of the weight he lost when he was initially ill.
> I remember the vet techs often referring to his ailment as cancer
> or lymphoma, but the official diagnosis was IBD. I think people
> either confuse the terms, or the symptoms are so similar that it
> might as well be cancer. IBD is linked to hypersensitivity to food,
> but it can also be idiopathic.

There is a 3-year-old special needs cat available for adoption at one of my
local no-kill shelters.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=3343975

I have been looking at his picture for several months, but I already have
five cats, one of whom has a number of things going on and racks up big
medical bills, so I'm not in a position to even consider another adoption.
The special need is this case is that Fuzzy has IBS, which you can see by
the desciption they control with a special diet and Flagyl when he has a
flare. He sounds like such a great cat. Sigh....
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Gandalf
August 23rd 07, 05:28 AM
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:32:14 -0700, Trinity >
wrote:

>My cat was 9.
>
>She was taking prednisone for 6 months. Low dose, 1./2 pill every
>other day. Without the pred., diahhera and vomiting. Dr. said she
>had irritable bowel disease.
>
>Last week, she stopped eating and drinking completely and was losign
>serious weight.
>
>We had to have her pumped with fluids for two days. She looked ok
>after that, but within 12 hours, she lost everything! She was put to
>sleep.
>
>Does anyone know what was wrong? There is no solid diagnosis without
>an autopsy (will not do). Could this be cancer?
>
>Please help
>
>Tr

There is really no way to know, or guess, exactly what happened.

That's why the vet wanted to do an autopsy.

I wouldn't have wanted one done on my kitty, either.

I'm very, very sorry for your loss.

It's especially hard on you since it was so sudden; you has no time to
'get ready' to euthanise your sick cat.

Trinity
August 27th 07, 08:27 PM
On Aug 22, 11:28 pm, (Gandalf) wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:32:14 -0700, Trinity >
> wrote:
>

> >My cat was 9.
>
> >She was taking prednisone for 6 months. Low dose, 1./2 pill every
> >other day. Without the pred., diahhera and vomiting. Dr. said she
> >had irritable bowel disease.
>
> >Last week, she stopped eating and drinking completely and was losign
> >serious weight.
>
> >We had to have her pumped with fluids for two days. She looked ok
> >after that, but within 12 hours, she lost everything! She was put to
> >sleep.
>
> >Does anyone know what was wrong? There is no solid diagnosis without
> >an autopsy (will not do). Could this be cancer?
>
> >Please help
>
> >Tr
>
> There is really no way to know, or guess, exactly what happened.
>
> That's why the vet wanted to do an autopsy.
>
> I wouldn't have wanted one done on my kitty, either.
>
> I'm very, very sorry for your loss.
>
> It's especially hard on you since it was so sudden; you has no time to
> 'get ready' to euthanise your sick cat.- Hide quoted text -

Not sure if further info is of any help, but I do also remember the
vet saying her body was using her own fat as food because she wasnt
eating, and the buildup of fat fron this was too much for her liver.
Some liver count was supposed to be 100 and hers was 400.

thanks to all for your notes :)