PDA

View Full Version : Cats eating their young?

Thor1207
August 23rd 07, 03:26 AM
I thought this was just "an old wives tale." My daughters watched a neighbors
cat give birth to 3 kittens. When they came back after leaving for supper
there were only two kittens. They were looking around the barn for the
missing kitten when they noticed the mother eating one of the remaining two
kittens. They were quite traumatized by the event. Is this normal cat
behavior? I'm interested so i can explain it to the girls. Thanks.

Matthew
August 23rd 07, 03:45 AM
Sometimes a mother cat will kill a kitten when there is something wrong with
it. Than sometimes they will devour it; it is protein to them when it is
dead. Sometimes a inexperienced mother or distressed mother will do that.

"Thor1207" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I thought this was just "an old wives tale." My daughters watched a
>neighbors
> cat give birth to 3 kittens. When they came back after leaving for supper
> there were only two kittens. They were looking around the barn for the
> missing kitten when they noticed the mother eating one of the remaining
> two
> kittens. They were quite traumatized by the event. Is this normal cat
> behavior? I'm interested so i can explain it to the girls. Thanks.

silvercelt
August 23rd 07, 07:24 PM
On 23 Aug, 03:45, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Sometimes a mother cat will kill a kitten when there is something wrong with
> it. Than sometimes they will devour it; it is protein to them when it is
> dead. Sometimes a inexperienced mother or distressed mother will do that.
>

> "Thor1207" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
> >I thought this was just "an old wives tale." My daughters watched a
> >neighbors
> > cat give birth to 3 kittens. When they came back after leaving for supper
> > there were only two kittens. They were looking around the barn for the
> > missing kitten when they noticed the mother eating one of the remaining
> > two
> > kittens. They were quite traumatized by the event. Is this normal cat
> > behavior? I'm interested so i can explain it to the girls. Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

It's rare, but they do have a instict from wild to eat the weak as
they feel threatened somehow... It is something done in the wild...
not sure how you could explain that to your children...