PDA

View Full Version : Best prices on tapazole?

James Egan
August 26th 07, 11:28 PM
My cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. The only symptom he
has is that he's lost several pounds, and appears somewhat thin.
His appetite is somewhat voracious, but that's not a problem! <g>
He's still happy and active, for a 16 year old cat. So, I started
him on a regimen of liquid tapazole (Fish flavor too!). It cost
$27 per month for the liquid. Can anyone tell me where to get it
cheaper? I also may try the pills, which are only $15 through
the vet.

-Thanks

Paul M. Cook
August 27th 07, 01:31 AM
"James Egan" > wrote in message
> My cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. The only symptom he
> has is that he's lost several pounds, and appears somewhat thin.
> His appetite is somewhat voracious, but that's not a problem! <g>
> He's still happy and active, for a 16 year old cat. So, I started
> him on a regimen of liquid tapazole (Fish flavor too!). It cost
> $27 per month for the liquid. Can anyone tell me where to get it
> cheaper? I also may try the pills, which are only $15 through
> the vet.

I pay 40 bucks for 60 pills at Costco. Seems you have the best price
already.

Paul

James Egan
August 27th 07, 03:43 AM
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 00:31:38 +0000, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> I pay 40 bucks for 60 pills at Costco. Seems you have the best price
> already.
>
> Paul

I should have mentioned that the $15 per month was for 30 pills cut
in half, I believe. Anyway, how is this price:

http://www.petcarerx.com/PCareRx/SimpleProduct.aspx?CS_ProductID=10783&CS_Category=prescription_thyroid&CS_Catalog=Petcare_Products&CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=Petcare_Products;pres cription;prescription_thyroid&UserPref=culture%5Een-US%7CCurrencyCode%5EUSDen-US

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
August 27th 07, 07:16 AM
"James Egan" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 00:31:38 +0000, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>> I pay 40 bucks for 60 pills at Costco. Seems you have the best price
>> already.
>>
>> Paul
>

> I should have mentioned that the $15 per month was for 30 pills cut
> in half, I believe. Anyway, how is this price:
>

> http://www.petcarerx.com/PCareRx/SimpleProduct.aspx?CS_ProductID=10783&CS_Category=prescription_thyroid&CS_Catalog=Petcare_Products&CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=Petcare_Products;pres cription;prescription_thyroid&UserPref=culture%5Een-US%7CCurrencyCode%5EUSDen-US

Very high price. Costco is much cheaper. You don't need the brand, generic
works just fine. I pay 40 bucks for 60 5mg tablets, this site wants 1.09
for each 5 mg dose. That's a 25 dollar difference.

Paul

Rene S.
August 27th 07, 02:16 PM
Give your Wal-mart pharmacy a call. I've priced out medication for my
cat, and their prices on drugs are quite competitive.

Phil P.
August 27th 07, 02:32 PM
"James Egan" > wrote in message
> My cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. The only symptom he
> has is that he's lost several pounds, and appears somewhat thin.
> His appetite is somewhat voracious, but that's not a problem! <g>
> He's still happy and active, for a 16 year old cat. So, I started
> him on a regimen of liquid tapazole (Fish flavor too!). It cost
> $27 per month for the liquid. Can anyone tell me where to get it
> cheaper? I also may try the pills, which are only $15 through
> the vet.

$27/month is a good price- assuming he gets 2.5 mg twice a day.

If you go with the pills, be sure to put them in a #3 or ideally a #4 gelcap
so he doesn't taste them. Methimazole tastes nasty- its very bitter. Once
he gets a taste of it it will be almost impossible to pill him again.

Best of luck.

Phil