PDA

View Full Version : window, jumping out! ??

ensoul
August 28th 07, 01:11 AM
I live in a 2nd floor apart. very lucky to be able have them both,
under the disability act only allowed one....but my late husband got
me Moe & Rudy

anyway you get evicted if your pet is outside w/out a leash...they're
big boys, vet says not overweight yes there's screen's in them but
they push on the screen knock it out and they jump

so I don't open the window's! baby gates are tall enough, tried they
jumped on top of the gate pushed the screen out!

anybody else have this problem?

my windows slide across, I open just a crack...also have a small patio
w/sliding doors they're even taller...I can't open that either

2nd floor apartments are very hot

any ideas appreciated

ensoul

Catman 07
August 28th 07, 01:05 PM
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:11:33 -0700, ensoul > wrote:

>I live in a 2nd floor apart. very lucky to be able have them both,
>under the disability act only allowed one....but my late husband got
>me Moe & Rudy
>
>anyway you get evicted if your pet is outside w/out a leash...they're
>big boys, vet says not overweight yes there's screen's in them but
>they push on the screen knock it out and they jump
>
>so I don't open the window's! baby gates are tall enough, tried they
>jumped on top of the gate pushed the screen out!
>
>anybody else have this problem?
>
>my windows slide across, I open just a crack...also have a small patio
>w/sliding doors they're even taller...I can't open that either
>
>2nd floor apartments are very hot
>
>any ideas appreciated

If you look closely at how the screens are retained, you should be
able to figure out how to stop them from being pushed out by your
cats. My guess is that the screens are not installed in the right
"track" to begin with. If they were, they couldn't be just pushed out.
Usually, in a slider, to install the screen properly, you have to:
1) remove the sliding window from its track (usually by shoving the
window upwards into the top track, and then pulling the bottom of the
window inward, and then down)
2) follow this same procedure to remove the fixed window.
3) install the screen in the same track that the fixed window goes in.
4) install the fixed window by reversing the procedure you followed to
take it out.
5) install the moveable window by reversing the procedure you followed
to take it out.
Catman

>ensoul

Catman 07
August 28th 07, 01:18 PM
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:05:14 -0400, Catman 07 >
wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:11:33 -0700, ensoul > wrote:
>
>>I live in a 2nd floor apart. very lucky to be able have them both,
>>under the disability act only allowed one....but my late husband got
>>me Moe & Rudy
>>
>>anyway you get evicted if your pet is outside w/out a leash...they're
>>big boys, vet says not overweight yes there's screen's in them but
>>they push on the screen knock it out and they jump
>>
>>so I don't open the window's! baby gates are tall enough, tried they
>>jumped on top of the gate pushed the screen out!
>>
>>anybody else have this problem?
>>
>>my windows slide across, I open just a crack...also have a small patio
>>w/sliding doors they're even taller...I can't open that either
>>
>>2nd floor apartments are very hot
>>
>>any ideas appreciated
>
>If you look closely at how the screens are retained, you should be
>able to figure out how to stop them from being pushed out by your
>cats. My guess is that the screens are not installed in the right
>"track" to begin with. If they were, they couldn't be just pushed out.
>Usually, in a slider, to install the screen properly, you have to:
>1) remove the sliding window from its track (usually by shoving the
>window upwards into the top track, and then pulling the bottom of the
>window inward, and then down)
>2) follow this same procedure to remove the fixed window.
>3) install the screen in the same track that the fixed window goes in.
>4) install the fixed window by reversing the procedure you followed to
>take it out.
>5) install the moveable window by reversing the procedure you followed
>to take it out.
> Catman

PS, your super should be an expert at this procedure,and should be
willing to help you as it only takes a minute for someone who has done
it before.
Catman

>>ensoul

Rene S.
August 28th 07, 05:02 PM
Catman had a good suggestion, but I wasn't sure from your email if
they were pushing the screens out or the entire screen + frame. If
it's the screen only, you can have your landlord put in new screens
for you or buy some pet-proof screens and install them yourself. It's
not hard (I've done it) and not very expensive.

ensoul
August 29th 07, 04:43 PM
On Aug 28, 12:02?pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> Catman had a good suggestion, but I wasn't sure from your email if
> they were pushing the screens out or the entire screen + frame. If
> it's the screen only, you can have your landlord put in new screens
> for you or buy some pet-proof screens and install them yourself. It's
> not hard (I've done it) and not very expensive.

they push out the entire screen frame & all, there are big cats I live
in an apart complex had to fight like to hell to have them, mang B!#$!
hates them & will do nothing to help
I have to come up with something else///the sceens are flimsly
too...do appreciate you all trying, TY

Catman 07
August 29th 07, 06:32 PM
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:43:24 -0700, ensoul > wrote:

>On Aug 28, 12:02?pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
>> Catman had a good suggestion, but I wasn't sure from your email if
>> they were pushing the screens out or the entire screen + frame. If
>> it's the screen only, you can have your landlord put in new screens
>> for you or buy some pet-proof screens and install them yourself. It's
>> not hard (I've done it) and not very expensive.
>
>they push out the entire screen frame & all, there are big cats I live
>in an apart complex had to fight like to hell to have them, mang B!#$!
>hates them & will do nothing to help
>I have to come up with something else///the sceens are flimsly
>too...do appreciate you all trying, TY

Hi Ty. I've learned from many years of messing with windows of all
descriptions, that if your screens are properly installed, they cannot
be pushed out. This is almost the FIRST thing that window designers
consider, as children could do the same thing as your cats and FALL TO
THEIR DEATH! Have a closer look. As far as the sliding patio door
screen goes, find a stick, like a piece of lath, cut to about one inch
longer than the gap when your screen door is closed, and wedge it in
so the screed door cannot move in its track.
Catman