PDA

View Full Version : Cranberry juice as a treatment for cystitis.

Catman 07
August 28th 07, 10:33 AM
I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
treatment for cystitis. If so, how do you get your cat to take it?
Will they just slurp it up?
Catman

bookie
August 28th 07, 01:06 PM
On 28 Aug, 10:33, Catman 07 > wrote:
> I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
> treatment for cystitis. If so, how do you get your cat to take it?
> Will they just slurp it up?
> Catman

god knows, but i do know you can get treats from some pet shops which
have cranberry stuff in them, dont; know the make but 'pets at home'
sell them for sure. I have never bought them so don;t know what cats
think of them.

i would have thought that cranberry juice by itself would be too sharp
for pusses to like, maybe if you dilute it?
bookie

Catman 07
August 28th 07, 02:06 PM
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:34:02 -0400, "cindys"
> wrote:

>"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> On 28 Aug, 10:33, Catman 07 > wrote:
>>> I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
>>> treatment for cystitis. If so, how do you get your cat to take it?
>>> Will they just slurp it up?
>>> Catman
>>
>> god knows, but i do know you can get treats from some pet shops which
>> have cranberry stuff in them, dont; know the make but 'pets at home'
>> sell them for sure. I have never bought them so don;t know what cats
>> think of them.
>
>Well, I know I think it's ridiculous. Someone (maybe on this group) once
>quipped: "Do you see packs of feral cats hanging out in cranberry bogs?"
>(Must be related to the African lions who kidnap dairy cows because they
>need the milk :-).
>

>> i would have thought that cranberry juice by itself would be too sharp
>> for pusses to like, maybe if you dilute it?
>
>Even if you dilute it, it's incredibly sour. That's why commercial cranberry
>juice has so much sugar added.
>Best regards,

So, what if the juice is sweetened with aspartame or splenda? Are
those safe for cats?
Catman

>---Cindy S.

johnnaoleary via CatKB.com
August 29th 07, 06:23 AM
Hi Catman, I'm assuming that you've had your cat to the vet and are using the
appropriate medical treatments (antibiotics, special diet etc.). Cranberry
was one of many things I used to cope with my kitty's recurring UTI. Once we
got it treated and the infection went away, I began to use cranberry extract
as a preventative measure. I didn't give him juice though. There is actually
very little of whatever makes cranberry good for the urinary tract in
cranberry juice. Instead of the juice, I would use a cranberry extract. It
can be bought in any pharmacy or health food store. If you get the capsules,
they can be opened up and the powder inside can be mixed in the cat's food.
This is obviously easier if you're feeding wet food, which you should be if
your cat is prone to urinary tract problems. My cat didn't even notice it in
his food. Best of luck!!

Catman 07 wrote:
>I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
>treatment for cystitis. If so, how do you get your cat to take it?
>Will they just slurp it up?
> Catman

Catman 07
August 29th 07, 02:05 PM
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:23:21 GMT, "johnnaoleary via CatKB.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Catman 07 wrote:
>>I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
>>treatment for cystitis. If so, how do you get your cat to take it?
>>Will they just slurp it up?
>> Catman
>Hi Catman, I'm assuming that you've had your cat to the vet and are using the
>appropriate medical treatments (antibiotics, special diet etc.). Cranberry
>was one of many things I used to cope with my kitty's recurring UTI. Once we
>got it treated and the infection went away, I began to use cranberry extract
>as a preventative measure. I didn't give him juice though. There is actually
>very little of whatever makes cranberry good for the urinary tract in
>cranberry juice.

The first ingredient on the BEST cranberry juice I could find is:
WATER. So how much actually cranberry is in it is unknown. Probably as
little as the manufacturer can get away with.

>Instead of the juice, I would use a cranberry extract. It
>can be bought in any pharmacy or health food store. If you get the capsules,
>they can be opened up and the powder inside can be mixed in the cat's food.
>This is obviously easier if you're feeding wet food, which you should be if
>your cat is prone to urinary tract problems.

I've switched to canned food, and I will be trying raw food. I find it
very regrettable that there are no WARNING labels on dry cat food, and
the vets endorsement on the dry food package is ridiculous, imho.

>My cat didn't even notice it in his food. Best of luck!!

Thanks for the headsup on cranberry extract, John(?).
Catman

Phil P.
August 30th 07, 04:17 PM
"Catman 07" > wrote in message
> I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
> treatment for cystitis.

I don't care what you've heard- its not a good idea. Cranberries are very
high in benzoic acid- which is toxic to cats in high doses.

Catman 07
August 31st 07, 09:45 AM
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:17:07 GMT, "Phil P." >
wrote:

>"Catman 07" > wrote in message
>> I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
>> treatment for cystitis.
>
>I don't care what you've heard- its not a good idea. Cranberries are very
>high in benzoic acid- which is toxic to cats in high doses.

Phil, I respect your opinion greatly. You are held in high esteem.
Thanks for the headsup. I'll use the cranberry juice, and the
cranberries, on myself.
Catman

Phil P.
September 1st 07, 11:40 AM
"Catman 07" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:17:07 GMT, "Phil P." >
> wrote:
>

> >"Catman 07" > wrote in message
> >> I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
> >> treatment for cystitis.
> >
> >I don't care what you've heard- its not a good idea. Cranberries are very
> >high in benzoic acid- which is toxic to cats in high doses.
>
> Phil, I respect your opinion greatly. You are held in high esteem.
> Thanks for the headsup. I'll use the cranberry juice, and the
> cranberries, on myself.
> Catman

Cranberries claim to fame is in the treatment of UTIs (not FIC) and isn't
what you think- Its not acidification of the urine- because in cats, the
added acidification isn't that much- at least not enough to make a
difference. Its because some component in cranberries might help prevent
pathogenic E. Coli from adhering to the bladder wall lining.

I don't know the long-term effects of chronic ingestion of benzoic acid or
if its cumulative- So, I wouldn't give it to my cats.